2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Lamkin wedge grips from gap wedge on down Rad. They are at least an inch longer than standard. Allow me to choke down while maintaining the same feel in the bottom hand. I usually play with a standard grip on most shots, but have been know to weaken and strengthen my grip (sometimes knowingly and other times unknowingly).

PD - A while-ago back we were talking about irons with graphite shafts. Knowing you've BTDT thought I'd ask... What would you expect when a steel shafted iron head is given a new graphite? Any hugely noticeable difference is swing weight feel, trajectory, anything?

There are graphite profiles to match nearly all steel profiles. I have 105, 95, 85, 75 and 65 gram graphite shafts installed in 5 different sets. The 105's are a lower launching stout shaft, the 65's are a higher launching shaft. Finding the right swing weight is as much art as it is science. A D2 iron in one set-up may not feel the same in another set-up.

That is correct because the overall balance can be different and that translates to feel. That is what lead tape is made for

Some fine day - we need you to hold court on this lead tape thing.

One day when you're feeling motivated to do it - it would be GREAT to hear you take us down the do's and don't of lead tape. How much to use, where to put it, what it does to ball flights. It's a given that each swing will most likely generate different results inside this topic. That much is inescapable. But just to hear you lay it down and share what you do and don't do - what your own trial and error has taught you.

I'd listen to that one for as long as you could stand to write it up. Your call if you'd rather not.

Oh my friend... Scotte, me, and this gang will take you there! LMAO

Tell you what... once every few days... I'll find a way to parse a post or two down to as few words as possible about homemade training doo-dads.

Simple stuff. So many would rather NOT head down such paths and that's perfectly fine. But if you have that curiosity enough to want to try some things out... at least a couple of us here have a lot to offer. For me I want to know WHY it matters and then I'm all over it. A training doo-dad that to my way of seeing it potentially "fixes" one thing while potentially adding two more complicating/manipulating/confusing aspects to golf... I tend to pass such things right on by myself. But when it's the other way around and speaks to my tendencies... oh it's on!

Sounds good! I'd be totally interested in anything that I could do at home to help my swing/game.

My dad taught me how to play when I was in HS, his lesson was left arm straight, and fire those hips. Sounds good I guess but what I learned to do was let my lower body get WAY out in front, getting my arms stuck behind and I was slice city. I never really came out of that pattern, we didn't play much and when we did that's how I would swing. That being said I was lethal with a 2i...only club in my set I felt confident hitting. I never carried woods or a driver. Teed off with a 2i and did pretty well with it...it was all the shots after that were a problem...lol.

Lessons that I have had have emphasized slowing the lower body...one pro even said "swing and try to get your belt buckle to point behind the ball...you won't be able to but try to." That worked pretty well for my driver swing but not the irons. Another coach stuck a tee in the ground forward and right of the path of the ball and encouraged me to swing towards the tee. That worked for a short time, but I was so far away from the ball my swing just didn't feel natural.

My biggest problem is sequence and consistency. Keeping the various body parts working together is a huge challenge. I have some good golf in me. I hit some very nice shots at times but I can never put a round together due to thin/fat/mishits etc. I don't feel like I'm that far away, but I also don't know what would change my current condition.?

Tell you what... once every few days... I'll find a way to parse a post or two down to as few words as possible about homemade training doo-dads.

Simple stuff. So many would rather NOT head down such paths and that's perfectly fine. But if you have that curiosity enough to want to try some things out... at least a couple of us here have a lot to offer. For me I want to know WHY it matters and then I'm all over it. A training doo-dad that to my way of seeing it potentially "fixes" one thing while potentially adding two more complicating/manipulating/confusing aspects to golf... I tend to pass such things right on by myself. But when it's the other way around and speaks to my tendencies... oh it's on!

Sounds good! I'd be totally interested in anything that I could do at home to help my swing/game.

My dad taught me how to play when I was in HS, his lesson was left arm straight, and fire those hips. Sounds good I guess but what I learned to do was let my lower body get WAY out in front, getting my arms stuck behind and I was slice city. I never really came out of that pattern, we didn't play much and when we did that's how I would swing. That being said I was lethal with a 2i...only club in my set I felt confident hitting. I never carried woods or a driver. Teed off with a 2i and did pretty well with it...it was all the shots after that were a problem...lol.

Lessons that I have had have emphasized slowing the lower body...one pro even said "swing and try to get your belt buckle to point behind the ball...you won't be able to but try to." That worked pretty well for my driver swing but not the irons. Another coach stuck a tee in the ground forward and right of the path of the ball and encouraged me to swing towards the tee. That worked for a short time, but I was so far away from the ball my swing just didn't feel natural.

My biggest problem is sequence and consistency. Keeping the various body parts working together is a huge challenge. I have some good golf in me. I hit some very nice shots at times but I can never put a round together due to thin/fat/mishits etc. I don't feel like I'm that far away, but I also don't know what would change my current condition.?

Haven't seen your swing so I won't dispense advice but you remain in good company here. From the man who doesn't have all the answers, it can be helpful to identify four things in no particular order (they all matter).

1) Something - whatever it is - happens during your better swings. Some thing or things - some sort of swing keys or swing feels happen. Some golfers experience it and are almost afraid to say it out loud. And when that happens its all sort of a "blur". IMHO it helps to call it specifically what it is and what it isn't. Maybe in your private notes (if sharing it seems silly) - But just from my seat there's some sort of grip, or setup, or tempo, or feel during takeaway or at the top or whatever that sticks out when its good. Whatever that is, I personally think it helps to be able to give it language and identify with it right out loud (even it its in your head or private notes).

2. In my silly world, I like to see what is good in a swing and most all swings have really nice qualities. Young, old, male, female, veteran players and beginners have multiple and really outstanding things going on from the putter to the driver. BUT - most golfers don't know what those things are. And in the process of making any sort of changes - they risk compromising the best things they naturally do without even thinking about it. In my book, that's a HUGE mistake. We need to leverage what we have and we all have SOMETHING really good even though it may be overshadowed with a few mistakes. So were it me, I'd find out what I do well and see how that matches up with what feels great when things are going well. The two lists may or may not line up perfectly - or they might. Only true and objective discovery will tell.

3. A BASIS for everything from putting to full swings is IMO really important. For some (many) the basis is whatever FEELS right. For others, their favorite guru said so which automatically makes it right. For some they have a believe system about a stable spine - or maybe a swing speed thing - or maybe it's like what you voiced.... "Dad said it and that's what I do." What I'm fumbling a bit to say is, some sort of basis needs to be there. Why? Cause it becomes the post you hitch all of your efforts to. What equipment you buy, the tweaks to the grip, your notions about your own good and bad tendencies... it's all tied to some philosophy about feel or mechanics or whatever it is that winds your personal watch.

4. An open mind. If you "fix" one leg of a tripod, it's not evident you did anything cause the pictures are still out of whack. Fix two legs and things may be getting there but aren't right, yet. Get all three legs right and the pictures are right. So many golfers are very willing to give up on progress even though things are messy sometimes in route to getting there. The instant gratification thing and "AH-HA" breakthroughs come and its great when they do. But the reality is... most of it is getting all the legs of tripod right. And what are the correct "legs" to be adjusting? It goes right back to having a BASIS for whatever things are attached to.

At the end of the day, 1-4 above allows every single golfer to be whatever he wants to be. He can fully believe he does whatever he does, however he does it, and he doesn't have to apologize to anyone for it. He can do HIS thing and play for laughs, play for the trophy, or whatever he wants. It's all good cause he's in the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of golf so it's a beautiful thing.

But in my goofy world - we golfers cheat ourselves a little sometimes. We might want to experience those better little runs but have no ability to describe what was happening, no basis behind WHY those things mattered, MAY have a bit of a closed mind about all of it, and are a little bitter about things in the past that didn't satisfy the need for immediate gratification. But even if NOT - that's OK. For so many golfers it's what they say in the movies... the meaning of it all is - there is no meaning. lol. OK by me if so.

Deep stuff, eh??? LOL

Whenever #2 and #1 above are one and the same... we have the quintessential and self proclaimed "feel" golfer. Who is to tell these folks they're wrong? They may shoot 120 or break par. You never know.

Then there's lame brains like me who what to know both how...and (here it comes)... why.

If you TELL me to grip it this way or address it that way...I'll do it. But you can bet your sweet arse, if it works, I'm going to go study WHY it made a difference. I might even be willing to play badly for a while as the other tripod legs get their attention in the fullness of time. But no man TELLS me anything by way of instruction that doesn't pass through this huge filter about...WHY.

The why component for so many golfers just doesn't matter. Depends on our personal wiring and learning styles.

Maybe THIS is why the Grille works. Notice I've been on a horrendous case of posting diarrhea since Scotee asked me (probably jokingly) what I did to fix a little putting tendency. And... as always happens during such little Reason rants... the lights go out in the Grille for the most part.

My name is Reason. It's been twenty five minutes since my last swing video. LMAO.

OK guys... it's all over. Got it out of my system. Back to farts and beagles! Sorry

Haven't seen your swing so I won't dispense advice but you remain in good company here. From the man who doesn't have all the answers, it can be helpful to identify four things in no particular order (they all matter).

1) Something - whatever it is - happens during your better swings. Some thing or things - some sort of swing keys or swing feels happen. Some golfers experience it and are almost afraid to say it out loud. And when that happens its all sort of a "blur". IMHO it helps to call it specifically what it is and what it isn't. Maybe in your private notes (if sharing it seems silly) - But just from my seat there's some sort of grip, or setup, or tempo, or feel during takeaway or at the top or whatever that sticks out when its good. Whatever that is, I personally think it helps to be able to give it language and identify with it right out loud (even it its in your head or private notes).

2. In my silly world, I like to see what is good in a swing and most all swings have really nice qualities. Young, old, male, female, veteran players and beginners have multiple and really outstanding things going on from the putter to the driver. BUT - most golfers don't know what those things are. And in the process of making any sort of changes - they risk compromising the best things they naturally do without even thinking about it. In my book, that's a HUGE mistake. We need to leverage what we have and we all have SOMETHING really good even though it may be overshadowed with a few mistakes. So were it me, I'd find out what I do well and see how that matches up with what feels great when things are going well. The two lists may or may not line up perfectly - or they might. Only true and objective discovery will tell.

3. A BASIS for everything from putting to full swings is IMO really important. For some (many) the basis is whatever FEELS right. For others, their favorite guru said so which automatically makes it right. For some they have a believe system about a stable spine - or maybe a swing speed thing - or maybe it's like what you voiced.... "Dad said it and that's what I do." What I'm fumbling a bit to say is, some sort of basis needs to be there. Why? Cause it becomes the post you hitch all of your efforts to. What equipment you buy, the tweaks to the grip, your notions about your own good and bad tendencies... it's all tied to some philosophy about feel or mechanics or whatever it is that winds your personal watch.

4. An open mind. If you "fix" one leg of a tripod, it's not evident you did anything cause the pictures are still out of whack. Fix two legs and things may be getting there but aren't right, yet. Get all three legs right and the pictures are right. So many golfers are very willing to give up on progress even though things are messy sometimes in route to getting there. The instant gratification thing and "AH-HA" breakthroughs come and its great when they do. But the reality is... most of it is getting all the legs of tripod right. And what are the correct "legs" to be adjusting? It goes right back to having a BASIS for whatever things are attached to.

At the end of the day, 1-4 above allows every single golfer to be whatever he wants to be. He can fully believe he does whatever he does, however he does it, and he doesn't have to apologize to anyone for it. He can do HIS thing and play for laughs, play for the trophy, or whatever he wants. It's all good cause he's in the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of golf so it's a beautiful thing.

But in my goofy world - we golfers cheat ourselves a little sometimes. We might want to experience those better little runs but have no ability to describe what was happening, no basis behind WHY those things mattered, MAY have a bit of a closed mind about all of it, and are a little bitter about things in the past that didn't satisfy the need for immediate gratification. But even if NOT - that's OK. For so many golfers it's what they say in the movies... the meaning of it all is - there is no meaning. lol. OK by me if so.

Deep stuff, eh??? LOL

I've read this a couple of times this morning. A lot to contemplate without getting into the mechanics of what works or doesn't work for all of us. The BASIS comment in particular was noteworthy. Going to set aside all commentary to pitch, chip and putt for the time being. They're a different breed of execution that remains problematic. A full swing rumination at this particular point in time.

I've been working on setup quite a bit. It's relative easy to make adjustments, experiment with and is the foundation for everything that is to follow. The switch to a interlock grip was an instantaneous improvement. The feel of gripping the handle is much improved with a reduction in grip pressure while still maintaining a firm hold. A large bucket and 9 holes in, don't see any reason to return back to a overlap. Been experimenting with foot position and ball position within the stance. Arriving at a point where the feet are ever so slightly closed. Ball position more forward than before. With irons, a couple of inches forward of center. With D, off my left heel. Everything else, somewhere in between. Not sure about the why to this, my thinking is that allows a split second additional time to get the head back to square at impact. Lastly, especially with irons, I've taken to bending over more than I had previously. Felt like I was to upright, rigid and not feeling balanced in the follow through. Tendency to rock back onto my heels. The slight additional bend at the waist forces a sense of weight onto the balls of my feet and stays there during the swing. Feel like I have a more aggressive angle during the downswing. Seemingly has helped with the pulls.

As a side note to this, my irons feel a bit long now, have had to choke down about .5" compared to prior. Performed some A/B testing with an older, standard length 7 iron vs. the i20 7 iron (1.25" difference in playing length). The prior feels to short, bending over to far. The later forcing me into the more upright posture. This will require a bit of experimentation moving forward. There are no absolutes with this length issue, as I'm discovering.

Now its time to begin the swing. I worked on flattening my BACKSWING. For me, its become a key for everything that is to follow. Have to get the club moving backwards correctly to have a chance at getting it back to square during the DS. Right in the 45* slot seems to work well. My bad tendency, when not paying attention, is to become to OTT. All arms with little hip engagement. Dragging the club back in a proper plane focus me into affecting a better hip turn. Think its become paramount to enabling a I/O swing. Don't pay attention to where I'm at in sequence, the straightness of left arm, what my right elbow is doing, wrist cupping (that's become an area of focus, but a WIP for consistency purposes). Taken a "let whatever happens, happen" approach. Spook touched upon this with the tee ahead and right of the ball drill. Never have done that but its exactly what cured my nasty slice. Having a sense that I was firing the club to the right of the target line. Inside out swing. Seemed counter intuitive, sense of swinging right to counter a bad slice. But it worked. And it seemingly all started with dragging the clubhead back on a flatter plane during the backswing. Should be a matter of routine by now, recognizing the necessity. Unfortunately, it is not. In the heat of the moment, lapse back into bad habits. Needs to be part of my focus with every swing. No longer take practice swings (practice swings aren't real swings). But I do take a quick takeaway drill, couple of short backswings to about 3 o'clock. Helps me to focus on what needs to be done.

Last area of focus is TEMPO. That the entire process, from BS, the transition to DS and follow through is one smooth continuous process. Free and easy. Not rushing any part of the three steps. I have this vision in my head of trying to swing like Ernie Els. What's in my head and the reality is all to often quite different. While I kinda now what to do, the execution is maddeningly difficult. And I struggle with the why. My tendency is to ease into the BS, but then find myself firing the DS to quickly. The hips open up and the clubhead is lagging behind. And the results being the push or dreaded slice that I've been trying to cure once and for all. I'm not swinging through the ball. Can get this reasonably sorted out at the range. But when I take it live, not so much. This is one facet that increased practice time would yield benefits. Ingraining that sense of rhythm throughout the swing. That one does not have to speed up the DS to hit the ball with some degree of distance. That the slow and easy swing can be trusted.

That's what Im attempting to accomplish with every full golf swing. I feel that if these three steps are taken care of, the result will be a decent ball strike along the intended target line. And I'm not going to overly concern myself with the multitude of nuances that goes into constructing a swing. That its food enough to allow me to chase after the ball, find it, and do it again. By and large and despite all of the above commentary, my swing has sufficiently progressed to the point where I'm better now than 5 ears ago. Not to shoot in the 70's or better, but to have consistent sub-90's rounds. Tee to around the green is pretty good, all things considered. It's when I get to 40 yards and in from the green where my game is a mess. And I bleed strokes constantly. The most significant impediment to my ability to bust off a really good score on occasion. But that's sorta a different subject for another time.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've never bought any kind of swing aid before but this one has me intrigued. I think it could help my swing

plane issues. I've heard about the Orange Whip and Impact Snap and have not been tempted by those. I

like the simplicity of this one and the reviews seem really good.

It's pretty cheap too. $79 but with coupon code radio can be had for $67. I remember Reasy talking about

some band he used to use around his forearms when practicing. This is kind of in that vein though a little

different method of guiding the forearms and wrists. I'm thinking about buying one but would like some Grille

input. I think it will help getting my swing plane back on track as well. Thoughts?

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

The quest to improve my short range putting (aka eliminating the waving) doesn't include hours of practice and drills. Sorry Reason, not how I'm wired. I change the implement. The Anser blade has been fine for distance putting, not so much from 6' and in. To light, waved it around back and through the stroke. Inconsistency. Couldn't trust the stroke. <Fill in the blank>

I needed weight to hold the line. Been trialing #7 style putters for years. Always seemed to putt well with one when demoing, but had a hard time getting past the looks. Was in the LGS in the spring, and demoed the following. Lot to like. Weight (370g), plummer's neck, insert that has a crisp feel without being to soft, subtle top sight line. It was an ugly putter, but one I could live with, so I believed. It didn't appear to hideous.

Was even contemplating paying full retail. But I don't make impulsive decisions when in the golf store. So I'm browsing the Bay and up pops a listing for exactly what I was considering. With the Make an Offer option, threw one out there and was accepted. Arrived today. Ping Sigma G Tyne H 35", minty fresh. High MOI, or is it face balance, IDK. Seem to be able to square up the face better through contact than with the prior Anser 2. Was having a tendency to leave it open, missing right.

Rolled in the basement for about 10 minutes, heading to the practice green later to put it through it's paces. Don't know if I like the Winn grip installed, but have a PP58 midsize waiting in the wings. A flushed up PayPal account and the urge to try something different makes for impulsive decisions on the Bay.

All this talk about swing aids reminded me. Picked this Ledbetter SwingSetter gizmo at a thrift store for $5 awhile back. Seemed kind of wonky, didn't mess around with it much, stuck it the closet and forgot about it. But now with all the discussion of training tools, maybe time to revisit. Read the online instructions and give it a try. Allegedly, the one device to fix all swing faults. "The complete golf swing trainer". IDK about that. Maybe?

https://davidleadbet...ds/swingsetter/

Sorry Conrad. Simply not knowledgable enough about all these golf doodads to offer any opinion on what you're contemplating.

There's definitely a trend toward mallet putters on tour. Starting one's ball on the intended line is the issue

trying to be dealt with. Mallet putters with all the alignment aids prove easier to line up correctly and return

square to the ball at impact and don't lose distance on slight mishits.

Personally, I don't care what a putter looks like if my putts are going in. This game is all about results. I'm

caring less and less what my bag may look like; from top to bottom. Am going to gear my bag toward results

and whatever brings the best results will be in there.

Heck, I've played Ping clubs for years now. I'm used to ugly. Love ugly.

SLED Gemini

I've never bought any kind of swing aid before but this one has me intrigued. I think it could help my swing

plane issues. I've heard about the Orange Whip and Impact Snap and have not been tempted by those. I

It's pretty cheap too. $79 but with coupon code radio can be had for $67. I remember Reasy talking about

some band he used to use around his forearms when practicing. This is kind of in that vein though a little

different method of guiding the forearms and wrists. I'm thinking about buying one but would like some Grille

input. I think it will help getting my swing plane back on track as well. Thoughts?

[media=]

[/media]

Interesting. I have not seen that one but I have this:

https://www.trendihub.com/products/golf-swing-trainer-swingdye?variant=8737071300668&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMjZ3e_22wIVFqvsCh0VHQ5yEAQYAiABEgIWYvD_BwE

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[media=]

[/media]

https://www.trendihu...AiABEgIWYvD_BwE

How about that. Yours is for the lead arm and this one is for both...….. I think I'm going to get it.

Of course, I won't be home for awhile to use it.

SLED Gemini

[media=]

[/media]

How about that. Yours is for the lead arm and this one is for both...….. I think I'm going to get it.

It passes the sniff test on a lot of fronts. Clearly this one quiets the hand-flip and a raft of yadda-yaddas going on from set and once in motion attendant to the hand-flips. I'd give it a try FWIW. Prolly pretty good for lower running chip shots too.

All this talk about swing aids reminded me. Picked this Ledbetter SwingSetter gizmo at a thrift store for $5 awhile back. Seemed kind of wonky, didn't mess around with it much, stuck it the closet and forgot about it. But now with all the discussion of training tools, maybe time to revisit. Read the online instructions and give it a try. Allegedly, the one device to fix all swing faults. "The complete golf swing trainer". IDK about that. Maybe?

Sorry Conrad. Simply not knowledgable enough about all these golf doodads to offer any opinion on what you're contemplating.

Anxious to hear what you think after giving it a go. Haven't seen it before now. A "click" on the way back and a "click" at impact. Feedback is a good thing, right? Please be sure to tell us what you think.

EDIT: That type of neck on a putter suits me personally. Man I hate to admit this but one of the things I love about a putter like that is probably the wrong reason to fall in love with it. Looks like it'd be a really easy proposition to pick a ball up using its backside - lol. Now it prolly putts really great but just the idea of practicing and playing with the ability to scoop balls up off the turf sounds so tempting. Hope she works out well for you. Might just be one of those magic wands you never want to part with.

Deep stuff, eh??? LOL

I've read this a couple of times this morning. A lot to contemplate without getting into the mechanics of what works or doesn't work for all of us. The BASIS comment in particular was noteworthy. Going to set aside all commentary to pitch, chip and putt for the time being. They're a different breed of execution that remains problematic. A full swing rumination at this particular point in time.

I've been working on setup quite a bit. It's relative easy to make adjustments, experiment with and is the foundation for everything that is to follow. The switch to a interlock grip was an instantaneous improvement. The feel of gripping the handle is much improved with a reduction in grip pressure while still maintaining a firm hold. A large bucket and 9 holes in, don't see any reason to return back to a overlap. Been experimenting with foot position and ball position within the stance. Arriving at a point where the feet are ever so slightly closed. Ball position more forward than before. With irons, a couple of inches forward of center. With D, off my left heel. Everything else, somewhere in between. Not sure about the why to this, my thinking is that allows a split second additional time to get the head back to square at impact. Lastly, especially with irons, I've taken to bending over more than I had previously. Felt like I was to upright, rigid and not feeling balanced in the follow through. Tendency to rock back onto my heels. The slight additional bend at the waist forces a sense of weight onto the balls of my feet and stays there during the swing. Feel like I have a more aggressive angle during the downswing. Seemingly has helped with the pulls.

As a side note to this, my irons feel a bit long now, have had to choke down about .5" compared to prior. Performed some A/B testing with an older, standard length 7 iron vs. the i20 7 iron (1.25" difference in playing length). The prior feels to short, bending over to far. The later forcing me into the more upright posture. This will require a bit of experimentation moving forward. There are no absolutes with this length issue, as I'm discovering.

Now its time to begin the swing. I worked on flattening my BACKSWING. For me, its become a key for everything that is to follow. Have to get the club moving backwards correctly to have a chance at getting it back to square during the DS. Right in the 45* slot seems to work well. My bad tendency, when not paying attention, is to become to OTT. All arms with little hip engagement. Dragging the club back in a proper plane focus me into affecting a better hip turn. Think its become paramount to enabling a I/O swing. Don't pay attention to where I'm at in sequence, the straightness of left arm, what my right elbow is doing, wrist cupping (that's become an area of focus, but a WIP for consistency purposes). Taken a "let whatever happens, happen" approach. Spook touched upon this with the tee ahead and right of the ball drill. Never have done that but its exactly what cured my nasty slice. Having a sense that I was firing the club to the right of the target line. Inside out swing. Seemed counter intuitive, sense of swinging right to counter a bad slice. But it worked. And it seemingly all started with dragging the clubhead back on a flatter plane during the backswing. Should be a matter of routine by now, recognizing the necessity. Unfortunately, it is not. In the heat of the moment, lapse back into bad habits. Needs to be part of my focus with every swing. No longer take practice swings (practice swings aren't real swings). But I do take a quick takeaway drill, couple of short backswings to about 3 o'clock. Helps me to focus on what needs to be done.

Last area of focus is TEMPO. That the entire process, from BS, the transition to DS and follow through is one smooth continuous process. Free and easy. Not rushing any part of the three steps. I have this vision in my head of trying to swing like Ernie Els. What's in my head and the reality is all to often quite different. While I kinda now what to do, the execution is maddeningly difficult. And I struggle with the why. My tendency is to ease into the BS, but then find myself firing the DS to quickly. The hips open up and the clubhead is lagging behind. And the results being the push or dreaded slice that I've been trying to cure once and for all. I'm not swinging through the ball. Can get this reasonably sorted out at the range. But when I take it live, not so much. This is one facet that increased practice time would yield benefits. Ingraining that sense of rhythm throughout the swing. That one does not have to speed up the DS to hit the ball with some degree of distance. That the slow and easy swing can be trusted.

That's what Im attempting to accomplish with every full golf swing. I feel that if these three steps are taken care of, the result will be a decent ball strike along the intended target line. And I'm not going to overly concern myself with the multitude of nuances that goes into constructing a swing. That its food enough to allow me to chase after the ball, find it, and do it again. By and large and despite all of the above commentary, my swing has sufficiently progressed to the point where I'm better now than 5 ears ago. Not to shoot in the 70's or better, but to have consistent sub-90's rounds. Tee to around the green is pretty good, all things considered. It's when I get to 40 yards and in from the green where my game is a mess. And I bleed strokes constantly. The most significant impediment to my ability to bust off a really good score on occasion. But that's sorta a different subject for another time.

This post is just riddled with gold.

To begin with, a golfer here just actually puts actual words to it. If you're not in the habit of it...believe me it's no easy trick at first. Can almost give a person the willies. But it's anything but wrong to do so.

So just that fact alone now makes what would have been a "blur" of disconnected and nebulous thoughts take on some sort of semi-working order. It cements things - gives them a name - clarity. Does Fella go out tomorrow and shoot the round of his life? Maybe, but he's made it clear what his actual goals are and what they aren't. SO COOL! Very well played.

Next - There's the potential only Fella and myself will relate to something he laid down. Not because he and I are "smarter"... it's because we know from things shared to date he and I are a little long in the spine, taller than the average Joe, but not blessed with a proportionately long wingspan in the arms. What that body type ends up creating in golf, is a raft of dilemmas in feeling comfortable and keeping it simple at address and once in motion. What guys like us end up doing is adding a little length to the shaft. I know this is hard to believe for others who haven't experienced it... but this whole dilemma shtick - adding shaft extensions - building clubs a bit longer - wondering if our swing weights are out of whack...it's messy. AND... when you find yourself suddenly able to swing club lengths that are more "standard" - AND - hitting it well that way...guys it's liberating on a level that's hard to describe.

And how did he do that? It started with his grip! The simplest thing - he moved to interlocking. It somehow put the angle of the shaft hanging from his arms in a "set" that allowed him to set himself up to the ball a little better - then swing a little more naturally. One thing led to another in a very positive chain of events. And because he's written it down - he can come back to it someday when it feels like the wheels came off. He can go back to overlap for two swings and then switch right back to remind himself of what it is that feels so good about his new grip to keep the honeymoon extending for years to come.

He reports TEMPO as a biggie. Great tempo will but salve on just about any swing flaw and amplify the good things going on in a swing. But it doesn't work the other way around. You can have great mechanics, a great grip and setup... but if the bus wrecks tempo-wise (and rhythm-wise), there's trouble in swing-land. Fella is getting efficiency out of his swing. It's a swing from him more so than a "hit". For him it's a relaxing, flowing, thing. We know this and he knows this - BECAUSE HE WROTE IT DOWN!!!! lol

Fella - just FWIW... Wedge play from 100 yards-in is a whole subset as you know well. But I think you're right to first tackle the stuff you're tackling. As it becomes less fuzzy and more settled into "set it and forget it" muscle memory in your setup routines... there will then be a great platform to then go after those scoring wedge shots. And that part of the journey is just as much if not even more of a blast (IMO).

And to wrap it up and add one more FWIW... that whole business you mentioned of trail elbow and hips and such. For me, I tether that stuff to just getting the trail elbow to swing WITH the trail hip through the bottom of the downswing and through the strike. I sometimes stand on alignment rods right under the arches of the feet during practice. Yes I'm into the trail heel at the top and weight transfers, yadda yadda. But for me I "think" in terms of that rod and the arches of the feel being the line my balance works on.. and just like you say... swing it in tempo,..with that trail elbow moving WITH the trail hip through the strike. Why? Cause nothing is "stalling" that way. The body isn't stopping or jamming into some violent "rip" then stalling out which leaves the hands and arms stuck too far behind the lower body, nor is there a lower body stall leading to all brands of hand-flips and two way miss. Kind of simple really - just just the good grip and better setup that comes with it. Swing it like you already do rather than hit "at" it - and with that rod underfoot, move the trail hip and elbow together through the strike with a nice even flowing tempo.

Well played, Fella. You just did what takes a certain amount of courage to actually do. Have fun!

So here's one I personally do not recommend by way of bought or homemade swing aids.

In one of his videos, Tom Watson uses a wire coat hanger bent into a small circle on one end and stuck the other end in the ground outside his ball. The circle end was positioned a couple feet above the ball, so his vision looks thru it to the ball The goal... to keep the head still.

Maybe for putting. Maybe for short chips or pitches. I love old Tom and am a huge fan. But there's no way I'm doing this coat hanger thing for normal full swings. Go look at any good golfer's video from face on. Watch his head at address, at the top of the bs, and down-through the strike.

Over and over you'll see the head move a little down and a little bit back moving into the strike. If I were dead set on keeping my head so still I could always be looking right through a loop in a wire hanger... I'd stiffen up the neck, force all sorts of tension into an otherwise flowing and dynamic swing.

Just one man's opinion... but a perfectly stock-still head during the golf swing is bad juju. But - for anyone who drinks from the fountain that says a stock-still head is a good thing.... Tom has your answer.

There are however some really cool things a simple coat hanger can be used for (IMO). More on that later.

Ha! Thank you for the kind words. Just muddling along trying to figure out how to hit a golf ball a wee bit better. I does help with the understanding by attempting to articulate the "what" I'm trying. Forces one to put ideas into words. Rather than simply "thinking" about swing things. Finding concrete and simple reference points as I go about the task. As i mentioned before, proponent of creeping incrementalism rather than wholesale changes. Attempt to "fix" one thing first then move onto the next.

Thanks for the alignment rod tip. I'll give that a try next time I hit the range. Always working on maintaining a centered and balanced position throughout the swing. Without rocking back on my heels. Better than it was, but still not where it needs to be with every swing.

Deep stuff, eh??? LOL

Outstanding post.

I always wanted one of these, saw the infomercials and was stoked about it but at that point in time the price was more than I could justify. I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on what was maybe the most complete aid available...?

[media=]

[/media]

Very interested to hear what you think about it.

Good post Fella, a dedicated attempt to play better. The one item that strikes with me is Tempo, I am all over the place. If I can regulate my backswing and transition my game improves dramatically, usually too fast on the backswing so I lose balance.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

I always wanted one of these, saw the infomercials and was stoked about it but at that point in time the price was more than I could justify. I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on what was maybe the most complete aid available...?

[media=]

[/media]

Very interested to hear what you think about it.

I will give all a report but it's gonna be awhile, lol. I may not be home again til late August.

SLED Gemini

OK, I'll offer up one from the jukebox...……...really like this cover by Sarah

SLED Gemini

So here's one I personally do not recommend by way of bought or homemade swing aids.

In one of his videos, Tom Watson uses a wire coat hanger bent into a small circle on one end and stuck the other end in the ground outside his ball. The circle end was positioned a couple feet above the ball, so his vision looks thru it to the ball The goal... to keep the head still.

Maybe for putting. Maybe for short chips or pitches. I love old Tom and am a huge fan. But there's no way I'm doing this coat hanger thing for normal full swings. Go look at any good golfer's video from face on. Watch his head at address, at the top of the bs, and down-through the strike.

Over and over you'll see the head move a little down and a little bit back moving into the strike. If I were dead set on keeping my head so still I could always be looking right through a loop in a wire hanger... I'd stiffen up the neck, force all sorts of tension into an otherwise flowing and dynamic swing.

Just one man's opinion... but a perfectly stock-still head during the golf swing is bad juju. But - for anyone who drinks from the fountain that says a stock-still head is a good thing.... Tom has your answer.

There are however some really cool things a simple coat hanger can be used for (IMO). More on that later.

I have a Stu version of that for aligning my eyes over a putt. I use a piece of string with a loop and slip knot with a 2 oz fishing weight tied to it. In other words a plumb bob adapted------ The lead tape thing I will do tomorrow morning when I have more time to hopefully explain----- I am running local today pulling off a demolition job. Since Reasy is familiar with this area he will know about this and some of you will too. The old Bay Tree Golf course has been closed some 15 years now and they are just now starting to develop the property. The old water tower that set by Hwy SC 9 is being demoed. It was shaped and painted like a golf ball on a tee. They pulled the "ball" down Wednesday and cut it up yesterday and i hauled all the ball out yesterday afternoon after I got back from delivering my load to Charleston SC. I think I have 3 loads of the "tee" and associated piping today. You can Google it up and put Bay Tree pictures and you will see the tower. The lake is no longer there. My boss and I are going to cut us a 1 inch or so square from the "ball" for a keepsake.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Sure all golfers' heads move to various extents; it is impossible to keep it totally still with the dynamic movements of various body parts. The point is the intent of stillness to avoid excessive or improper movement. Many golfers tend to sway back in an attempt to load the back leg. I have seen/heard numerous pros talking about or doing still head drills. I think it was Player who talked about his dad grabbing the top of his head while hitting balls. I remember seeing Foley putting the butt of a club against the side of Tiger's head. I used to put the butt of a club right on the top of my stepdaughter's head when she was making inconsistent contact on the range and it would always improve her ball striking instantly. Again, it is the intent, even though it will not be fully realized. Remember, feel is not real!

Thank you Stu and Thugger. Can't wait to hear Stu's lead tape lessons learned and Thug makes a great counterpoint. :good:

This one's for you Stu. I'm sure you remember Waterway Hills: Robert Trent Jones designed. She's been gone for what, 10+ years now? Sitting there abandoned and overgrown. Sad to see some of those old ladies go.

And maybe one day you'll be part of scrapping this bridge - cool history attached to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDTTOUW6c0g

He doesn't (in this video) but you can pin the coat hanger against the handle as you take your grip and swing the club. This is an old teaching trick but believe it or not, there are "special" coat hangers made for sale as a golf training aid.

OK by me but IT'S A FREAK'N SIMPLE COAT HANGER. LMAO! Why go buy one that's made to be a swing aid?

(It doe's work btw in terms of getting the wrists to set and release).

Lots of similar vids out there about the coat hanger. No harm in giving it at least a try. If you hate it, back to the closet goes the hanger.

If I was at the grille with a close friend and there weren't many people nearby I may talk about things that are a little more serious and deep. I usually keep things compartmentalized, so if a friend and I are playing golf and having a beer I talk about golf and beer...after the preliminaries are addressed "How's the fam?" etc. I figure that guys have their own heavy issues in life and golf is a great chance to get away, enjoy the game and some fellowship, and forget real life for a bit. At least that's my MO.

That being said, I will consult one or two of my good friends for some advice on more serious matters, but it's usually in the grille and a couple beers in. So here goes:

I have been working at my current job since 2004. I have had the same boss since day one. While it has been a pretty good run, my boss and I do not see eye to eye on most matters. That being said it usually isn't that big of a deal, but every now and then things go south, so much so that at times I have felt the need to explore other employment options. I have always weathered the storm and things evened out. But lately things have been bad enough that I'm 50/50 on staying or leaving.

Here's my dilemma: I love the organization I work for. I love my coworkers. I love the work I do. There isn't another place locally or even semi-locally with the same work environment. My boss would like me gone I believe, that being said I don't think it would be possible for her to remove me from my position. I could make much more money in other organizations but my work and work-life would not be anywhere close to the same, it would be a downgrade from my current situation. But lately I have trouble sleeping and I am not always happy to be at work because of my relationship with my boss. Of course these things happen in life, and I'm sure this too will pass.

But a small part of me thinks I need to leave. Most of me feels that if I leave I will regret it and I won't ever find another role like the one I am in. But a small part of me thinks I need to leave....

Have any of you dealt with similar circumstances and if so what did you do? Hope this isn't too heavy, but if you stay in the grille long enough this stuff comes up at times...lol.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)