Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I'm with you. Perhaps some find it distracting but there are a few benefits to leaving it in that make it worth leaving it in.

One is speeding up play on the greens and that's a big one........ and another is the pin saving putts that are on line but are

rolling too fast. Some may feel that would be an undeserved "save" but if the flag is gonna be in play from off the green

then it should be in play from on the green as well. Sometimes the flag will hurt you from off the green so it's fine in my

book to let it possibly help you while on the green.

• Like 2

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Grillsters! Been forever. And wow, just wow.

I just stopped in for a light snack and to wish my best to all of you and yours in this...truly indescribable time.

You all love golf and the outdoors and I’m finding that being outdoors is one thing that helps keep me sane.

But, if you’re inside and bored, my wife found this and for some reason, I thought of you guys, it’s kinda silly and cute and we need some of that right now

Biisuke Ball's Big Adventure – Pitagora Suitchi | The Kid Should See This

• Like 2

Now look here, we need all the membership we can get in the Grille, drop in more often for a meal as Gus is getting bored and then he starts fiddling with the food, and you do not want that.??

• Like 3

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

You are dead nuts 110% correct. Remember that kid from Hawaii Tad Fujikura? He played well in a PGA Tour event in Hawaii one time. Well the GC was really touting him. He tried to make the big show but did not make it through Tour School. Well he came down here on the Tar Heel Tour ( now E Tour) I told the wife he was going to get his hat handed to him there. I knew some of the guys on that Tour at that time. And he did. Quite a few guys on that tour at the time actually Monday qualified for several PGA Tour events. Trust me it is tough out there now. The general golfing public so called gurus and all have no idea. 13 years ago I did attempt Q school for the Champions Tour. I did manage to scrap it around enough to get in a playoff with 11 players for one spot. i remember a friend of mine that was also trying looked at the list and remarked to me WOW there are some players here and he himself had Monday qualified for some PGA events in the past. I was the only one in that playoff that had not ever qualified for a PGA event. Of course I did not make it but I did get through 2 holes of the sudden death and I forgot who it was holed a 125 yard wedge shot for the win. But I figured out my scraping style of play could maybe get me by on occasion but in the long run would not make it.

I had scraped it around for years and it became my style. When I put my mind to it I could finish in the money but never could win a mini tour event. I knew I had to give it a go. The previous summer i had played in a couple of mini tour events including a Hooters event and had done pretty well for a fat 49 year old. I has signed up for a event in Charlotte in the senior division 48 and older. Well when I got there they had no entries in the 48 and over division. The Tour Director offered to refund my money. I told him naah I will play. It was a long tough course but I adapted. Old man playing with the flat bellies. My 3 wood and 7 wood were spot on and my putter was working well. Finished in 9th out of 40 something players. Well a guy attached to a Hooters event offered me a spot the next week in the event at Rock Barn in Hickory which I know like the back of my hand then ( until they re did it) I told him I did not need lodging or food because we were staying with my MIL in Mooresville NC. Same story playing with the flat bellies but that 7 wood worked well into long par 4s and the putter was red hot. Ended up making the cut there finished like 15th. Turned 50 that September went to Florida in October. The putter cooled off some not cold but cool. Did not make it. My bud told me he had heard I had a red hot putter for 2 weeks in NC and from what he heard if it had happened there I would not have been in a playoff to begin with. His wife also jumped his butt about the remark he made about me being the only one in the playoff that had not qualified for a PGA event. I told both of them that did not intimidate me in the least. He told me he thought about what he had said in front of me at supper and felt bad and his remark was more as an amazement and was never directed at me. I told him I never paid him any mind I was of the Tin Cup mindset of go for broke I ain't supposed to be here anyhow. I always free wheeled it which my old man never understood.

In a nutshell yep I have seen and played with some players and I know. Someone asked me to describe my game back when. I told them I was never a ball striker or even a shot maker I was a scrapper. If you look at my old VIPs I played on and off for 20 years in the short irons you will not see dime sized rust spots you will see wear all over the faces anywhere there WAS a groove from heel to toe. After the Florida excursion I played a few local events and the senior divisions on the Minis around here Petered out as did the local minis. Then you had the equipment rules ( grooves) changes and suddenly most of my equipment was non conforming. I decided not pursue it any more besides I am having the fun of my life playing in the groups I play in not practicing any and playing what equipment I want to that particular day whether it be metal woods or persimmon.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Well Rad will love this--- A couple of firsts this week for me

I am now only working 3 days a week but they called me in early because scrap prices not on contract dropped Friday. I ended up in the used 2017 Mack slope nose with ( GASP!!) and automatic trans. As long as I have drove trucks I had never drove one with an automatic trans. They put me in that one since the new driver is in my big dog. Hate to admit it I fell in love with that truck. The owner told me Friday that he got a good deal on that truck just coming off lease and bought it for an experiment to see how the automatic holds up. Remember a year ago i was the one who growled at him and told him basically if he bought an automatic truck he better hire someone else to drive it. I ran the dog mess out of that thing this week 2200 miles. Told them Friday that was my swan song no more I will help out part time but no more running balls to the wall. We had a big discussion on the automatic and he told me that from a maintenance stand point it was the future of the company equipment wise. He further pointed out the old school guys like me were retiring and these new school guys can not handle a high torque high horsepower manual shift truck without tearing it up. My 600 hp big dog has been tore up twice on the yard with inexperienced yard jockeys jerking it and jerking the drive line loose. Only one guy on the yard is allowed to drive it now. Talked to a fleet owner from up in PA that is down playing golf. He is in the coal hauling business and runs all Macks and uses the same JMH tub bucket dumps we do. He told me he switched to all automatic Macks 3 years ago.

My other first--- A good friend of mine basically is in extreme bad health and can no longer play. He called me up last weekend. Told me to come by the house he had a couple of putters he wanted to give me. Huump I told the wife he wants to give me the 2 Bobby Grace Macs I built for him. Got over there and he gave them to me and then told me to clear off the top shelf. Ended up with 20 putters all of them modern high dollar with Super Stroke grips. Ended up putting with a TM Spider Tour and it is red to boot in the shootout yesterday. And yes had to use the cover on it. Last week I had putted with my old flanged Bulls Eye and putted lights out. My partner asked WTH? I was thinking putting that red thing in my bag. Well I putted decent with it and besides if my bud thought enough of me to give me those putters I figure the least I could do was putt with them some. More than likely I will play this PM after watching church on TV. Our church like others has been cancelled for the next 2 weeks. I will more than likely throw one of the Grace putters in the bag. LOL his wife does not know squat about golf asked if I liked those Grace putters. My bud who has a dry sense of humor even sick as he is told her 2 things about me " if it has Macgregor on a golf club he likes it and if it has Mack on a truck he likes it. He told her besides one of the Grace putters was mine anyhow and I built the belly Grace for him. At one time I was the Bobby Grace man on the beach because I bought like 15 Tour heads off one of the tour vans back in 07. He told his wife that the Grace putters had came back home.

• Like 2

My only experiences playing alongside a PGA Tour (winner) professional were amazing.

I was rebutted on a thread here for saying they virtually make no mistakes but I stand by it. They’ll hit a bad shot once in awhile but for the most part, wow, flawless.

it’s like racing. So many people think they’re fast...until they get on the track with someone who actually is.

COVID-19 sees me still at work. We should be wrapping up today and going on standby leave tomorrow. Hard to say but it’s been a beautiful week of weather for sure!

hopefully everyone is safe and well. Keeping happy thoughts here.

• Like 2
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Ha, see, the automatics are pretty cool. All the newer drivers have learned on them now and couldn't drive a standard transmission

to save their life, lol. I liked them cause for me, getting from point A to point B as easily as possible was my modus operandi. With

the standard trans I always shifted as little as possible and normally skipped gears on the way up; especially if I was light.

And you're darned right; most of those trannies cannot handle the torque of an engine cranked up to 600hp or more and you

gotta be careful driving with that kind of power. On the trucks we owned we ran them at 500-550 hp. The shop guys told us not

to set them any higher than that unless we wanted trans problems........or pay a lot more for a trans that could handle the torque.

The most important issues for us were fuel economy and truck longevity cause we ran 250,000 to 300,000 miles a year and fuel

and repair costs were things we paid intense attention to back in our O/O days.

• Like 2

SLED Gemini

@BIG STU That is very impressive Stu! The fact that you couldn't practice/play much as your competitors is a tribute to your skills.
I took up the game at 50 and at now almost 65 I have a real appreciation for those who can play golf at that level...I currently a 12.9 HI and have never engaged in an activity where I worked so hard for so little return. lol
  • Like 2

Oh back in those days I played and /or practiced every day. One of the reasons I do not practice a lot now except for putting. I never was a range rat per say. I would rather play practice rounds and stage some shots to see how to get out of trouble. I also found it fun to practice trick shots. Man that used to agitate my old man to no end. One time he and I were partners in a big money match in fact I had my side of the action split 3 ways ( always did that big money wise) that way he could not tell me I was playing for his money. That is another story I told a while back. I will tell that in a minute. Anyhow on our 6th hole it went over a lake up a hill and down a hill really a short par 4. Normally I hit a 1 iron there and up the hill and ran it down. I had been flat corking the driver that day. He told me hit driver since he was in the middle over the hill slightly. I cranked that driver and hooked it left into #7 fairway. We were up in the match anyhow and he never missed an opportunity to chide me. He said well you are in jail now. Naah I knew where I was at. Proceeded to take my 10 iron and hit it over the trees to the green about 10 feet out. He got a funny look on his face and pointed to 3 divots maybe 3 feet from my ball. You been practicing that shot ain't ya? Yep I told him and he started again. WTH? would you practice that shot? I told him I had been hooking the driver on that hole for 2 months. He replied well shouldn't you be practicing the driver. He never understood i just rolled with the flow. If I had not been practicing that shot I would have never hit driver off that tee.

Me and him used to could never play golf or doing anything else without arguing. It used to be a side bet how long if he and I were partners how many holes it would take us to blow up. In another big money match we were on our 4th hole> Par 4 went down the hill and a creek was at the bottom and he even knew I could not hit driver there. Hit a high cut 1 iron to the bottom. Now there was a big barn behind the green on that hole. He asked me what I had into the green? I told him 10 iron. He said he guessed I thought I could play the whole course with a 1 iron 10 iron and putter. I told him naah I did not need the putter I could putt just as well with a 10 iron. That ticked him off. He told me Jack Fracking Nicklaus could not hit the 10 iron up there. Hit the 9 I told him the 9 was too much he replied well we are playing for my *** **** money and you will hit what I tell you. Now remember we had about 50 bet sweaters watching the action. Ok you win I told him. I hit the 9 on top of the sloped tin roof barn it stopped and rolled back down into the hole for a 2! I looked at him and said well I guess you were right it is the right club. He went to crap in fact the bet sweaters had to put us on separate carts for the rest of the round. We did win the match. That was the last time I played as his partner with him covering the bet. One of his bookie cronies always backed me if he was not there a phone call would do. Really made him mad next day I went up on the barn and took yellow paint and drew a circle around the dent where the ball hit. the next week he had the guys paint the roof green. Went out 2 weeks later with just the 1 iron and 10 iron shot 38 ( +3) on a bet that I could not break 40. Heard he bet against me on that deal and lost his rear end. Yep we stayed into it all the time because it was always his way or the highway

• Like 3

Yep I always skip shifted when empty especially the old Super 10 Eaton Trans----- We had a driver a few years back that could not drive a stick worth a hoot--- I got aggravated at him and asked how in the world he got a CDL? Come to find out he worked for a local Beer company and took his test on a automatic. He was one of those that fell through the cracks-- Now days if you take the test on a auto shift it will say automatic transmission only---- The CDL with that restriction code is not valid with a stick shift truck.

• Like 3

In Australia if you take your test with an auto box you cannot drive a manual, have to test again if you need to drive one.

I suppose as I have aged the auto box has benefits but like you I always preferred shifting gears. When I was shoeing horses I had a large truck that held six horses and I used to transport them and bulk hay for the owners, loved driving round. Always been in awe of you really large truck drivers, negotiating the numb skulls in the family car must be a nightmare, and watching someone reverse a double always blew my mind.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Does that pertain to commercial vehicles or is it for passenger vehicles too? The reasons I ask is because in the USA hardly any passenger vehicles come with manual transmissions any more unless you special order one. Even light duty and medium duty trucks come standard with an auto trans

• Like 3

Hey Stu: Is it a good thing, or a bad thing that we can remember when your car was a Manual Transmission

and if you wanted an Automatic,you had to special order it !We're showing our age here in the GRille! I was

taught to drive on an Allis Chalmers....drivers license received in a 56 Ford Victoria( not the crownVic yet) with a

3 speed on the column...2oo hp i think..or something close...nice car...

• Like 3

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Reading a post from the green keeper at my home club, all visitors stopped only members. Growth retardant put on greens and fairways as a first step to possible closure, all casual staff laid off, full time staff taking holiday entitlement, only a skeleton staff to look after players. One person per cart, immediate clean when finished, thinking of reducing games to nine holes.

If this goes on for too long the club will fold, been close before, only a bank loan from a bank a committee member worked for saved it, will not happen again as he has moved on.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I think we had the exact same pick-up with a 307 V8.

Drove and owned a few Allis tractors in my day too.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

All vehicles, cars, trucks etc. as far as I know many 4WD still have a manual box. Many 4WD owners go bush, the ground is very rough and the manual box gives better control.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

We're having an early green up this year. Spring is my favorite season followed by summer, fall and winter. Took this pic this morning

looking down the street from our front yard. The road is pretty steep but the pic flattens it out quite a bit though you can see the roof

of the house across the street. It's gonna be a weird early spring this year with so many events cancelled. I hope we can get back to

normal very soon. We're playing tomorrow at a course called the Pines over in Millbrook. They're having a special $19 a round with cart.

It's 18 holes par 72. I've played there a few times. It's a muni; the layout is nice but there are some covered trenches running up and

down the fairways as they are putting in a new irrigation system; thus the temporary low price.

2NKCLKE9MNBV.jpg

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

Now that you mention this I remember that peculiarity where the shifter would dangle if you missed the slot.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nice looking digs there @Conrad1953
Surprisingly, it doesn't look that much different here as my sod has been greening up and the spring bulbs are pushing through. The biggest difference is that you have leaves. We're a good month away from any action on that front I would guess.
Was talking with my manager this morning and the decision has been made to keep the course closed until further notice. It seems to be the only reasonable course of action IMO as the membership are predominantly seniors, many with underlying medical conditions. It would be sending out the wrong message to open under the circumstances.
Sidewalk art is now becoming a "thing" here in this town as kids look for creative outlets during these difficult times. It's all done with chalk, so every time it rains you get a fresh "canvas". Lots of positive messaging so far. I'm waiting on the creativity to blossom with some really special graffiti.
[Added] A couple of home renovation projects are on the to do list potentially. I mentioned that DW wanted to redecorate a bedroom. We might begin that. I've also got a bit of gardening renovation work to do as an adjunct to the work we hired out last fall. I'm hopeful that these sorts of projects can be completed largely by myself thus providing an outlet for energy and a bit of purpose to life should the isolating protocols continue on indefinitely.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I drove a pickup from 77 until now. I drove a standard shift ,mostly on the floor,all the way

until 98, with a Ranger behind it ! The very first time i backed the boat down the ramp with

the automatic,and pulled it up the ramp later, i was cussin' myself for having the standard all those years !

Have not owned a manual since !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

The Governor has issued a Stay at Home order beginning at midnight and in effect until April 13th. Essentially closing down what minimal businesses that were still open. Other than essential ones such as grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, etc. Stating the obvious, this includes golf courses. Not that I've had any inclination to playing during this crisis. Furthermore, the weather has not been at all conducive for it. Received an inch of snow overnight. Really could use some warmer temps and sunshine so the Mrs and I could take a reasonably comfortable walk around town. Recreational walking for exercise is still a permitted activity. We live in a fairly small, semi-rural town about 45 miles north of Detroit. Not isolated, but some distance from suburbia and the city thus limiting exposure to higher concentrations of the populace. So feel relatively safe all things considered. Started wearing latex gloves yesterday for when I venture out for hand contact with anything. Noticed today a number of people were wearing some type of covering over their nose and mouth.

We've been sheltering in place for the better part of a week now. Other than the occasional excursion to the grocery store for supplies. Read online in advance of the official announcement this morning so I woke the Mrs. and we headed to the local grocery store for a additional supplies. Was 9:00 a.m. and the store was already crowded with others doing the same. Funny how in a little over a week's time, being out in the public realm sorta gives me the creeps. Requiring being very aware of one's proximity to others in order to keep the necessary "safe zone" space. Filled up the vehicles with gas which is very cheap right now. So prepared to settle in for the duration.

Decided to swing weight my entire bag of front line clubs yesterday. Sort of had an idea where they were at but never got around to checking every single club before. The irons were fairly consistent, within a point across the set. Weighted the 5 - 9 at D2, the PW and GW at D3. Two of the sand wedges I've been using came in at D4. Expect the Cleveland RTX-3 was D9 (what with the heavy "wedge" shaft and 1" extension). No wonder it felt ponderous while playing it. The fairways were kinda weird. All V-steels, with the same shaft save for the 9W. The 5W was D1, perfect. But the 7W and 9W were at C7 and C8 respectively. Don't quite know why. A 7W has always been one of my favorite long clubs in the bag. But never seem to hit this one as well as the prior 7. Perhaps a SW issue. Anyhow, though applying a fair amount of lead tape, they're both now at D1. Not Stu style of adding tape until their "feel" right. Just using my swing weight scale, adding one inch strips of tape until I hit the target. Seemed like something to do. YTBD if it will make a difference once I am able to play again. Next project, finally getting around to figuring out how to correctly wrap a leather grip onto a hickory shafted putter that I've hand on hand for several years. Some trimming angles to figure out, then whip the ends.

Stay safe and well my Grille Brothers. Crazy times are upon us.

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)