Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Expensive year this one, the pandemic has caused our grocery bills to almost double until recently, recently fitted solar panels $8000, fridge went belly up $3200, now the air conditioner has decided to join the fray, another $5000. It us a large unit that covers the whole house through a ducted system, hopefully some of it can be incorporated into the new unit.

Christmas has been cancelled.😢

• Sad 6

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

7 hours ago, scotee said:

Sharing the roses with the neighbors

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.57.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.56.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.57.56 PM.png

Unlike our vsitors these will not try to eat  you 😬

Edited by tolmij
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

1 hour ago, Hankshank said:

Yeah, those buggers are like rats nowadays here. The ones that comes to our garden are smaller, Bambi like. When I grew up they were considered rare and shy. When my father drived us through the countryside, “look, there’s a rådjur”, and one only saw a white tail when they disappeared. Now, when you try to shoo them away from the tulips or whatever, they take two,  three steps away and looks at you. You almost have to kick their butt to make them disappear. Pretty cute though one has to admit. The daughter used to be mad at me seeing them off when she was tiny.  Have some photos somewhere when a calf(or whatever they are called in english) feeds from her mother just meters from the kitchen window.

We are where we are because of the wildlife, Goannas, Snakes, Kangaroos, dozens of bird species, some quiet some noisy and aggressive. Love being at one with nature.

I know what you mean with them not being frightened anymore, our neighbour has a large male Kangaroo that lies down outside his front door and is not impressed when he is moved. 7ft tall and capable of ripping your stomach out. We have several smaller ones that graze our front lawn, very close to the house

Edited by tolmij
  • Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

35 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

Have kind of mixed emotions there.  Scandinavia is sparsely populated and there is countryside everywhere. Even in the suburbs of Stockholm where I grew up there are pretty decent areas of wood, lakes and so. Now, my summers as a kid I spent, my father born as working class, at where my grandfather spent his summers. The workers in the Baltic sea harbor town rented little cottages that the fishermen built to get some extra income. Very primitive, no running water old style toilet and all that. Anyways, we spent my childhood summers at a fishermans place. The fishermen of old lived very hard lives, and for them every wild animal was a threat to their profession. That wasnt really so any longer in the 60-70's but it lived on in that community. If they saw a bird of prey they said lets get the gun. 

I kind of have a little of that in me. Animals that threat what I plant in my garden are garden enemies... but at the same time, my brother is a birding fanatic and that have kind of spilled over a little on me. During the winters we feed birds outside the kitchen window and a multitude of species comes there, to our joy. And its nice when hedgehogs, squirrels and the like come to the garden. 

Not at all many dangerous animals here. The adder is probably the only poisonous animal, and the adders here are quite unaggressive. There are some wolfs, they will kill a few dogs but they never attack people. Some bigger animals that might be dangerous, like mooses, bears and wild boars but its extremely rare that people get injured. The only animal that is dangerous if you go into the woods is h*** Sapiens. 

Same here, they are the biggest pest and most dangerous.😳

• Like 4

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

The biggest pest we have around here are squirrels.  They dig holes everywhere and it seems like there are hundreds of them!

I top seeded my lawn last week to try and fill in the bare spots.  I have to go out every afternoon with a rake and smooth over all the mounds that the squirrels have created before I water the new seeding.

Back at the farm we used to get a lot of coyotes visiting.  I can remember chasing one out of the field in broad daylight when I caught it trying to pull the placenta out of a cow that had just calved!  My neighbour, who raised sheep, kept a couple of donkeys to guard her flock.  She told me that the donkey would stomp a coyote to death if it caught one in the paddock!

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

55 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

The biggest pest we have around here are squirrels.  They dig holes everywhere and it seems like there are hundreds of them!

I top seeded my lawn last week to try and fill in the bare spots.  I have to go out every afternoon with a rake and smooth over all the mounds that the squirrels have created before I water the new seeding.

Back at the farm we used to get a lot of coyotes visiting.  I can remember chasing one out of the field in broad daylight when I caught it trying to pull the placenta out of a cow that had just calved!  My neighbour, who raised sheep, kept a couple of donkeys to guard her flock.  She told me that the donkey would stomp a coyote to death if it caught one in the paddock!

love donkeys, had them for many years always had to be careful with our dogs as they would stamp them very quickly. Apart from that they are a very friendly loving animal, they love lots of cuddles and strokes. The other thing with a donkey is they drop their manure in a neat pile so it is easy to clean up..

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

38 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

I have a gripe today.  Many of you are probably active on Facebook.  Those that are will understand about what I'm about to speak of.

It's a pet peeve really of mine.  It's the situation where one of your FB friends posts a well meaning diatribe on the sufferings of those with a chronic/terminal illness.  It could be cancer.  It could be mental health.  It could be anything described with an acronym.  I have three particular FB friends who are guilty of this.  They're all wonderfully compassionate, affectionate and family oriented women.

The post will go something like this describing a heart melting story about someone's plight and how you need to be supportive of them by cutting and pasting the message onto your wall and then replying done on the original posters entry. Sharing will not do.  It then goes on to say that out of all the hundreds of friends they have only a handful will do this and they can guess who you are.

I ignore these sorts of posts due to their condescending tone and the implication that most of their friends aren't worthy of being friends with.  I think that it's incredibly ignorant no matter how genuine the intent to support of good cause.  If this type of posting continues I promptly go for the unfriend button.  Maybe they'll get the message?

You know what the irony in all this is?  Those three women all sent me the friend request in the first place.  One of them even went so far as to friend me a second time after I sent her packing the first time!  This particular woman has a side gig that she promotes through FB and that is really what's behind her collecting friends.  It's a means of marketing.  Someone should tell her that the first rule of marketing is to NOT insult your customer if you want them to buy.  🙄

never been on or read facebook or twitter, no one in our family uses them. The thing that annoys me most is when a prospective employer demands your password to check your attitude and activity, son had a heated discussion at one interview when they did not believe he was not on it.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

On 10/5/2020 at 9:39 PM, scomac2002 said:

It's really quite beautiful here in the northeast this time of year.  The skies are clear and the temperatures are crisp.  The leaves are at about 50% colour at this point and the course is soft from recent rains.

It can be tough getting loose when you start your round with temperatures barely above 50°F, but if you're out of the wind and in a sunny spot it is really quite pleasant.  You can get warm pretty quick with a base layer, a polar fleece and a wind jacket!  That still doesn't do a whole lot for carry distances as I'm finding out.  It's really quite humbling choosing a 9 iron from 95, a 7 iron from 119 and an 8 iron from maybe 105 and having exactly the right club.  I hit the best 3W off the deck I've hit all year from about 175 and still ended up 20+ yards short!  I just can't generate any swing speed.  Now you know why I'm playing 2000 yards for 9 rather than 3000+.

The greens were vertidrained last Thursday and they are still unputtable IMO.  Perhaps it's got something to do with the ridiculous pin positions.  I wonder what the greenskeeper was thinking?  You would think he would put the pins in a collection area with tough putting conditions.  Apparently he's a sadist!  I felt really bad for one of my playing companions who greened his tee shot on 9 from 200 yards only to 4 putt for a double bogie.  The last 3 putts were all 3 feet or less!

I know that this sounds like another gripefest, but I'm not sore.  I hit several really good shots, just couldn't make up for the poor ones.  It was a pretty good day all things considered and I knew that scoring was going to be a challenge based on the practice green so the score wasn't unanticipated.

I don't hit the ball that far either, but then again we are seniors, lol. If I play the appropriate tees then lack of distance isn't an issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Update on Air con, ducting is over 13 years old and the way the air is diverted is out of date. No matter which room you switch on the main lounge is always active, apparently that is how it used to be. The new system will see all rooms totally isolated, with the ability to have different temps in each room, all controlled by WIFI.

Slight increase in price, new system will cost $11300.🤯

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

1 minute ago, tolmij said:

Update on Air con, ducting is over 13 years old and the way the air is diverted is out of date. No matter which room you switch on the main lounge is always active, apparently that is how it used to be. The new system will see all rooms totally isolated, with the ability to have different temps in each room, all controlled by WIFI.

Slight increase in price, new system will cost $11300.🤯

Yikes! 😱

• Like 4

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)