52 degree or 54 degree wedge, which one

joecollege

I noticed in the last edition of Golf digest, the wedge article, the suggestion was a 52 and a 58 setup. I curently play the 54 and 58 MP-R wedges.

Here is the technical. I used to play the MP-14's. The pitching wedge was 50 degrees. So when I bought wedges, the spacing was 4 degrees. Now I play the MP-32's and the pitching wedge is 47. Therefore the spacing is 7 degrees and 4 degrees. I have been playing the 54 with good success and was curious what others thought. Is there a big difference in 2 degrees? Right now I hit my 54 at 100 yards and for a varity a shots around the green, a la Ernie els single wedge philsophy. The 58 is used as a sand wedge or when I need to lay it open and hit a high shot. My inquirey was based on looking at the WITB on this site and reading the WITB's in Golf Digest.

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the 54* 58* setup. I used to play a 52 , but then I started playing the Nike blades, which standard have a 49* PW. The 54* came out to be a good gap. The real deciding factor is your yardage gap between the PW, and the next. If you're comfortable with the Mp32's PW, and the gap of 7*, then stick with it, I'd say it would be okay.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

I would think you'd want a fairly consistent spacing between your PW and your highest lofted wedge. With a 47 or 48 degeee PW, I'd think you'd either want 52,56,60 or 52,58 or 54,60.

For me, I carry the 51,56,60 Mizuno combo right now. But I'm finding that I use the gap wedge seldom and I'd like to get my 3-iron back in the bag. So I'm switching to a 54,60 combo instead, and I'll probably use the 54 out of most bunkers. We'll see how it goes - I've been using 52,56,60 for about the last 8 years so it'll be kind of a big change.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

It's more about bounce for me as well. I play a 50-08 and a 58-08 but also carry a high bounce 56* that virtually cannot be played off the fairway without a very agressive swing and a massive divot. It's great out of deep rough or bunkers though. Just drop the head on the ball and it's out. I rarely hit the 58* full and it's more for those short pitch shots. I recently added it and it's a great weapon. So for me the setup is more about usability in the bounce than distance. I am more a feel player and will pull 4 different clubs and 12 different shots from 100 out.

IMOP it depends on how far you hit your PW. Is there an unreasonable gap between your PW and your 54? Do you find yourself having to muscle your 54 a lot because the distance is to short to hit a soft PW comfortably? I try to pay less attention to the loft of the club and more attention to what it does for me.

How far do you carry it? How well do you hit it? How does it interact with the turf? Does it serve a purpose/fill a void in your bag?

Those are all much more important questions then what the stated loft is of any club.

jlww3

First, thanks for all your input!

After reading the posts, I took a look at my distances with relation to the wedge and I am rarely stuck between having to muscle the 54. My pro has the 52/58 setup, but he said that he hits the ball shorter than I do (Boy, I wish I was getting paid for it). The 54 has been my go to with 100 to go and can play that David Toms' skipper wedge shot.

On the subject of the wedge itself, the reason I selected to go to the Mizuno MP-R was due to the unique sole grid of the club. Very similar the the Cleveland DSG, except that it is forged. I can hit it square or if needed, can lay it on it's back.

Just was curious what you guys (and ladies) thought on the subject.

As others have said, it depends on your current PW and also what kind of wedge set-up you want to play (3 or 4). Personally, my 54deg SW is my favourite club in the bag. I also carry a 60deg and my PW is 48deg. If your PW is more like 46deg, then a 52 would probably be better.

I used to carry 4 wedges (52,56,60) and I hardly ever used the 56. I think the 54 is the ideal loft to take one of them out the bag, its great for pitching and a easy fullish swing gives me a nice even 100yds. I found the 52 to be more like a PW (just another iron) than an all purpose short game club which my 54 has become.

However, if you go this route I'd advise not getting a massive amount of bounce on a 54 wedge if it is to be used off the fairway, especially in firm conditions. I've got a TM TP 54deg wedge with 10deg of bounce and this works well of both the fairway and out of the sand and cabbage.

I have a 54.09* and a 60.04*. It depends on what you do most with your wedges. I like the 54, out of the sand and from around 80yds out. I use the 60 from anywhere in that and they are both money. I find myself using the 60 around the green when I get a bad bounce and the green is uphill. It is a tuff shot but since I work on a golf course, get all the free golf I want, and practice everyday it is my go to shot. I love my wedge set-up and I think I would use my 54 a lot more than a 52 and I would use a 60 because of the low bounce a lot more than the 58.

IMOP it depends on how far you hit your PW. Is there an unreasonable gap between your PW and your 54? Do you find yourself having to muscle your 54 a lot because the distance is to short to hit a soft PW comfortably? I try to pay less attention to the loft of the club and more attention to what it does for me.

How far do you carry it? How well do you hit it? How does it interact with the turf? Does it serve a purpose/fill a void in your bag?

Those are all much more important questions then what the stated loft is of any club.

jlww3

This is the best post so far IMO. If you hit your PW 125 and your gap wedge (52, 54 or whatever) up to 105, and hit your LW (58, 60 or whatever) up to 85, then you have good spacing. You can fill the 20 yard gaps by choking down or making a shorter swing.

First, thanks for all your input!

After reading the posts, I took a look at my distances with relation to the wedge and I am rarely stuck between having to muscle the 54. My pro has the 52/58 setup, but he said that he hits the ball shorter than I do (Boy, I wish I was getting paid for it). The 54 has been my go to with 100 to go and can play that David Toms' skipper wedge shot.

On the subject of the wedge itself, the reason I selected to go to the Mizuno MP-R was due to the unique sole grid of the club. Very similar the the Cleveland DSG, except that it is forged. I can hit it square or if needed, can lay it on it's back.

Just was curious what you guys (and ladies) thought on the subject.

I have the MP-Rs in 54-10 and 60-05. I love them and the forged feel is great. I came from a Cleveland CG10 58 standard bounce and the switch to forged was positive for me. I also abide by the "consistent loft" theory, with 6 degrees from 48 PW to 54 SW to 60 LW. You cannot go wrong with the MP-Rs. Not only is the grind good, but the grooves are sweet as well. I didn't think I would take a Cleveland wedge out of my bag until I played these babies. Let me know if you concur after some time with your MP-Rs.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I'll second your call on the MP-R's. I too came from Cleveland, playing the FoamForged 900's in gunmetal. They where sweet, but too heavy. I was looking at the Cleveland DSG's when I saw the MP-R's in the display. They both had relatively the same principle with the grind, but the weight was lighter in the Mizzy's, not to mention the forged feel.

Always fighting the golf advertisments towards new and improved equipment, did you see the Mizuno wedge ad with the guy hitting with the shovel? Makes sense to me. Back to the subject-

I play the 54 and 58 with 10 degrees bounce. My wedge game has greatly improved due to the weight and the bounce not being so drastic as my old Cleveland's. My golf game has progressed from being a digger to hitting more shallow-if that makes sense. The Mizuno's are really nice, easy to set up and that brings more confidence. Coupled with my MP-32's, there seems to be little gap between the PW and the wedges. So I'll stay with what I have.

Thanks for your input!

• 6 years later...

[quote name='ezra76' timestamp='1181856682' post='598886']
It's more about bounce for me as well. I play a 50-08 and a 58-08 but also carry a high bounce 56* that virtually cannot be played off the fairway without a very agressive swing and a massive divot. It's great out of deep rough or bunkers though. Just drop the head on the ball and it's out. I rarely hit the 58* full and it's more for those short pitch shots. I recently added it and it's a great weapon. So for me the setup is more about usability in the bounce than distance. I am more a feel player and will pull 4 different clubs and 12 different shots from 100 out.
[/quote]

Ordered the Cleveland 588 TT irons with TT SL Dynalite XP shafts. The W is ridiculously strong, a 9 iron loft from the "old" days. Thinking of going with Cleveland 50*-8* for DW, 54*-8* RTX CB (custom, very lofted pw), and 58*-12* on the SW/Lob.

I play a lot of southern, wet, tight fairways,

I am thinking 3 PW type wedge s, and 1 true SW.

Driver Ping G425 MAX
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cleveland HALO 3 and 4
Titleist 2019 model T300, 5-P, 48, 53
SW/LW Titleist SM6 58*/8*
Putter  variety

[quote name='metrybill' timestamp='1388284261' post='8361211']
[/quote]

Ordered the Cleveland 588 TT irons with TT SL Dynalite XP shafts. The W is ridiculously strong, a 9 iron loft from the "old" days. Thinking of going with Cleveland 50*-8* for DW, 54*-8* RTX CB (custom, very lofted pw), and 58*-12* on the SW/Lob.

[/quote]

Man those wedges sure did spin though back in 2007 didn't they?

Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5* PXv (75g) 6.5
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* PXv (75g) 6.5
Mizuno MP-H4 18* 2 Iron KBS Tour X
Mizuno MP-64 3-PW TT DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 52/07 - 58/10 DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron GoLo or old Bullseye

[quote name='Jay845' timestamp='1181882441' post='599696']
I play the following:

PW 46*
GW 50*
SW 54*
LW 58"

Seems to work well for me
[/quote]

I am light years from this post but it rings very well with me. Low, PW type bounce (6* to 8*) on the 46, 50, and 54 until some modest bounce (12*) on the 58,

By today's standard loft, before the modern game, the old Masters of the game played with 3 wedges - 9 iron (today's P) by loft), Wedge (50*) and SW (54*-56*). Take into account the balata, spinning golf balls of the era, and we are still where we started out 40+ years ago. Same clubs but with different numbers. Today's 5 iron was the 3 or 4 iron of my youth.

for those of you who are able, do the math on today's longer clubs.My thoughts and observations only, not studied or scientific, for education, history comments and rebuttal. OK, this does marginally get into the Jack v. Tiger v. Palmer v. T Watson et al conversation.

Driver: Then: 11*, 43" w/ wooden golf head, better gear effect, more forgiving even with spinning golf balls; Now: 45+ driver w/ graphite shaft, longer but less forgiving on off center contact.

4 wood: Then 16*, 41.5" w/ wooden golf head, better gear effect, more forgiving even with spinning golf balls; Now: : 43" FW, used to be a Driver, longer but less forgiving on off center contact but longer.

Hybrids: hands down, these reborn, bottle-nosed clubs (of the 19th and early 20th centuries) have made the game crazy easier than the 1-2-3-4 irons of the day. When the Tigger and Phil begin using these (and they will to extend their competitive careers), they will pick up 1 - 4 shots per tournament.

Irons: Balls, shafts, club lengths, lies (!, custom),and strong lofts have changed our perception of performance.

Wedges: Nearly endless choices of lofts, lies (formerly a secret of the elite players),

Driver Ping G425 MAX
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cleveland HALO 3 and 4
Putter  variety

[quote name='BamaPhiSig' timestamp='1388285472' post='8361301']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely. Long and short, too. Remember the low, spinning, check knockdown shot?

Driver Ping G425 MAX
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cleveland HALO 3 and 4
Putter  variety

[quote name='metrybill' timestamp='1388290117' post='8361575']
[quote name='BamaPhiSig' timestamp='1388285472' post='8361301']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely. Long and short, too. Remember the low, spinning, check knockdown shot?
[/quote]

Yep. I had to break in those old spin milled because they spun too much.

Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5* PXv (75g) 6.5
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* PXv (75g) 6.5
Mizuno MP-H4 18* 2 Iron KBS Tour X
Mizuno MP-64 3-PW TT DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 52/07 - 58/10 DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron GoLo or old Bullseye

[quote name='KTgolf1' timestamp='1181871801' post='599174']
Personally, my 54deg SW is my favourite club in the bag. I also carry a 60deg and my PW is 48deg. If your PW is more like 46deg, then a 52 would probably be better.

I used to carry 4 wedges (52,56,60) and I hardly ever used the 56. I think the 54 is the ideal loft to take one of them out the bag, its great for pitching and a easy fullish swing gives me a nice even 100yds. I found the 52 to be more like a PW (just another iron) than an all purpose short game club which my 54 has become.

However, if you go this route I'd advise not getting a massive amount of bounce on a 54 wedge if it is to be used off the fairway, especially in firm conditions. I've got a TM TP 54deg wedge with 10deg of bounce and this works well of both the fairway and out of the sand and cabbage.
[/quote]

I agree - the 54* is my favourite and probably most used club. I add a 60* though I could add a 58*. I previously used a 52* but the 54* is much more versatile for sand and chipping.

But in winter here in the UK the ground is very mushy, and I'm glad of the 13* bounce on my X-Tour 54*. And when the bunkers are wet and compacted I'm glad of the lower bounce 60*.

My problem is that the ap1 714 pw is now 44 degrees and the gw that comes with the ap1 714 is 48 degrees.I hit that around 110-115 and form there I have a 52 that I hit around 100 and my sand wedge at 56 that carries me around 85.Both are 12 bounce but I am going for a titilest fitting so I am hoping to get some recommendations from the fitter.I use my 56,sand from 50 yards and in.Didn't have much control with my 60 but that became my 15th club now.

Which of the two lofted wedges do you want to play as your sand wedge?

I prefer something in the neighborhood of 55* or 56* with some flange and bounce for my sand wedge. I prefer a lob wedge to have less bounce. So I play a Vokey TVD 54* wedge bent to 55* for my main sand wedge! and a 60* wedge for my lob wedge. I play my AP1 PW bent 1 degree weak, and no gap wedge. I make my PW do a lot of different things. I have even used an AP2 PW with my AP1's.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='joecollege' timestamp='1181844143' post='598656']
I noticed in the last edition of Golf digest, the wedge article, the suggestion was a 52 and a 58 setup. I curently play the 54 and 58 MP-R wedges.

Here is the technical. I used to play the MP-14's. The pitching wedge was 50 degrees. So when I bought wedges, the spacing was 4 degrees. Now I play the MP-32's and the pitching wedge is 47. Therefore the spacing is 7 degrees and 4 degrees. I have been playing the 54 with good success and was curious what others thought. Is there a big difference in 2 degrees? Right now I hit my 54 at 100 yards and for a varity a shots around the green, a la Ernie els single wedge philsophy. The 58 is used as a sand wedge or when I need to lay it open and hit a high shot. My inquirey was based on looking at the WITB on this site and reading the WITB's in Golf Digest.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Why not go 52 and 57???

R11s 9.0*
i20 2& 4-u
CG16 54*
SM5 58*
Eye 2 62*

[quote name='joecollege' timestamp='1181844143' post='598656']

Thanks!
[/quote]Go with a 50* and keep what you have now.