2016 US Open Discussion Thread

PZero

in other news.. according to the golf channel Roy Mccavoy just posted the all time greatest us open round ...a 62!!!!!! Unbelievable!!

I really think we may be in for some fireworks tomorrow. Simms and McAvoy better be careful they don't let that Pete Jacobson guy steal one out from under them.

True ...but we also cant count out Pavin and Elkington...they are certainly dangerous when chasing !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last ball ...........if he misses hes out !

its in the air !! its....................goooddd!!!!! safe on the green....... ohhh wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So to summarize:

- The USGA got both rulings correct. But handled one of them very poorly. The TIO, as some have mentioned, was a great break for Dustin. The relief is for line of sight not line of flight. So the drop is determined to be one club length from the nearest point of relief. The fact that he then hit over the TIO is irrelevant.

The ball moving on the green ruling was correct-AS THE RULE IS WRITTEN AND INTERPRETED- which is what Chamblee does not understand. The rule itself is awkwardly written and needs to be changed. At this time if the ball moves and you cannot identify why then the player is deemed to have caused it. Has nothing to do really with actions taken or addressing the ball.

In an event like this they MUST figure out a way to make the ruling immediately if they are going to override the walking rules officials call(which they should not imo but that is another story). There is no way especially on a course set up like Oakmont that players should be made to determine their playing strategy without knowing were they stand.

- Great win for Dustin Johnson. Almost all of the wrx pre tournament favorites missed the cut and then the so called "bag of rocks" is standing holding the trophy when all is said and done.

- Joe Buck still needs to go. He has a voice made for football , as his own daughter has pointed out, and needs to tone it down for golf. Asking DJ about the ruling during the trophy presentation was wrong imo. The question would be fine in a interview later but not at the trophy presentation.

This may open the floodgates for DJ. With that talent and a much improved clutch putting stroke he is now nearly on par with Spieth and Day and McIlroy.

** PS Paulina looked fine. You guys crack me up. She just walked 18 stressful holes of golf and you want her to look like she just got ready for a gala. The clothing was a bit too much for the occasion but to each their own.

I agree with you 99%..... I dont truly think that the ruling is correct as written... or at least not as all rules are written.... we either are using instant replay or we arent .... we cant pick and choose.. if we arent the video is invalid ( even though it supports the truth that he didnt touch the ball) in that case only the walking official can have a valid opinion as nobody else was there... and if we now use instant replay then well, we dont need walking officials , and certainly need to have a better camera view to make a choice....

what the usga has done is call DJ , westwood and the official a liar.. this game relies on honesty... and to open this barn door is just criminal... shame on the USGA....

they withheld the decision for one reason only...to convince DJ to bail them out by calling it on himself ...which in the end he did technically after the video.... I wish with all my mind that the score were tied and DJ had to force the usga to call it on their own... I wonder if they had the balls to decide the US open after the fact on a grey call???? somehow i doubt it ...but somehow i wouldnt be surprised if they did since they are the supreme beings they are...

My reasoning was as that if you are in the rough and press down on the grass at all the ball moves and you are the "cause". Same on greens as fast as this. It could be argued that the thump-tap-bounce -whatever you want to call it that DJ did beside the ball was the reason the ball moved on such fast greens. The way the rule is written is the issue. If you cannot explain any other reason or cause for the ball moving then the player is deemed to be at fault.

I am not saying I agree with the rule but as it is currently worded the ruling could be correct.

I tend to agree here.

I think the rule needs looked at but there was enough evidence to suggest that Dustin's practice routine may have caused it to move.

Should have been dealt with much sooner though.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

I know when I mark my ball, I push down on the mark ever so slightly. Now, if I put the ball back exactly where it was, there could be a slight crater just behind the mark. If my ball rolled back into that crater, on a sloped green running 14 on the Stimpmeter, did I cause it to move?

No. The clown greens caused it to move. Mow the greens at 12 and the problem goes away.

Good point. 11-12 is fast enough and would stop balls hit to a few feet ending off the green.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

From another thread. If Fuzzy were near this ball do you think he would have been penalized?

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

So to summarize:

- The USGA got both rulings correct. But handled one of them very poorly. The TIO, as some have mentioned, was a great break for Dustin. The relief is for line of sight not line of flight. So the drop is determined to be one club length from the nearest point of relief. The fact that he then hit over the TIO is irrelevant.

The ball moving on the green ruling was correct-AS THE RULE IS WRITTEN AND INTERPRETED- which is what Chamblee does not understand. The rule itself is awkwardly written and needs to be changed. At this time if the ball moves and you cannot identify why then the player is deemed to have caused it. Has nothing to do really with actions taken or addressing the ball.

In an event like this they MUST figure out a way to make the ruling immediately if they are going to override the walking rules officials call(which they should not imo but that is another story). There is no way especially on a course set up like Oakmont that players should be made to determine their playing strategy without knowing were they stand.

- Great win for Dustin Johnson. Almost all of the wrx pre tournament favorites missed the cut and then the so called "bag of rocks" is standing holding the trophy when all is said and done.

- Joe Buck still needs to go. He has a voice made for football , as his own daughter has pointed out, and needs to tone it down for golf. Asking DJ about the ruling during the trophy presentation was wrong imo. The question would be fine in a interview later but not at the trophy presentation.

This may open the floodgates for DJ. With that talent and a much improved clutch putting stroke he is now nearly on par with Spieth and Day and McIlroy.

** PS Paulina looked fine. You guys crack me up. She just walked 18 stressful holes of golf and you want her to look like she just got ready for a gala. The clothing was a bit too much for the occasion but to each their own.

I agree with you 99%..... I dont truly think that the ruling is correct as written... or at least not as all rules are written.... we either are using instant replay or we arent .... we cant pick and choose.. if we arent the video is invalid ( even though it supports the truth that he didnt touch the ball) in that case only the walking official can have a valid opinion as nobody else was there... and if we now use instant replay then well, we dont need walking officials , and certainly need to have a better camera view to make a choice....

what the usga has done is call DJ , westwood and the official a liar.. this game relies on honesty... and to open this barn door is just criminal... shame on the USGA....

they withheld the decision for one reason only...to convince DJ to bail them out by calling it on himself ...which in the end he did technically after the video.... I wish with all my mind that the score were tied and DJ had to force the usga to call it on their own... I wonder if they had the balls to decide the US open after the fact on a grey call???? somehow i doubt it ...but somehow i wouldnt be surprised if they did since they are the supreme beings they are...

My reasoning was as that if you are in the rough and press down on the grass at all the ball moves and you are the "cause". Same on greens as fast as this. It could be argued that the thump-tap-bounce -whatever you want to call it that DJ did beside the ball was the reason the ball moved on such fast greens. The way the rule is written is the issue. If you cannot explain any other reason or cause for the ball moving then the player is deemed to be at fault.

I am not saying I agree with the rule but as it is currently worded the ruling could be correct.

I tend to agree here.

I think the rule needs looked at but there was enough evidence to suggest that Dustin's practice routine may have caused it to move.

Should have been dealt with much sooner though.

Attaboy. Stay in denial.

From another thread. If Fuzzy were near this ball do you think he would have been penalized?

What I want to know is how come stuff like this happens to the pros - but to me or my buds? Hell no. That ball is more likely to be crapped on by a goose than rolling in the hole.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Thr most lingering impression from the 2016 United States Open Championship was made by Paulina Gretzky trying to cover her behind as she was followed up a stair by a photographer.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I know when I mark my ball, I push down on the mark ever so slightly. Now, if I put the ball back exactly where it was, there could be a slight crater just behind the mark. If my ball rolled back into that crater, on a sloped green running 14 on the Stimpmeter, did I cause it to move?

No. The clown greens caused it to move. Mow the greens at 12 and the problem goes away.

Good point. 11-12 is fast enough and would stop balls hit to a few feet ending off the green.

I wonder how they decide what's fast enough, what's too fast, and where, if ever, it will end. Jack said that he and Arnie thought they were "fast" in 1962, but his guess was they may have been 9 or 10 on a Stimpmeter.

How far back down the false front do they want the ball to spin before they say, "OK, that's fast enough"?

Personally, my feeling is that what was happening at St. Andrews last year, with marked and replaced balls being blown 20 feet by the wind, made a travesty of the championship, and put too much of a premium on when you happened to tee off. That's going to happen in Scotland, but you exacerbate the effect when the greens are too fast.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

After Dustin Johnson received his trophy last Sunday, USGA President Diana Murphy (Lady with the Big Hair) was asked by a Reporter if she had a comment on the controversial penalty. She replied, "Penalty? What penalty?" :tongue:

Yeah, kinda like lots of supposed women leaders I met in the military, they usually don't have a clue.

I wonder how they decide what's fast enough, what's too fast, and where, if ever, it will end. Jack said that he and Arnie thought they were "fast" in 1962, but his guess was they may have been 9 or 10 on a Stimpmeter.

How far back down the false front do they want the ball to spin before they say, "OK, that's fast enough"?

Personally, my feeling is that what was happening at St. Andrews last year, with marked and replaced balls being blown 20 feet by the wind, made a travesty of the championship, and put too much of a premium on when you happened to tee off. That's going to happen in Scotland, but you exacerbate the effect when the greens are too fast.

I understand your intent but the greens at the Old Course were not fast, while the wind on Saturday certainly was. My wife and I were there and no way could you play championship golf in that.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

After Dustin Johnson received his trophy last Sunday, USGA President Diana Murphy (Lady with the Big Hair) was asked by a Reporter if she had a comment on the controversial penalty. She replied, "Penalty? What penalty?" :tongue:

Yeah, kinda like lots of supposed women leaders I met in the military, they usually don't have a clue.

And the cavemen aren't just on those insurance commercials . . . oh boy.

I saw the clip that someone posted on Twitter or something. She may or may not have been drunk but the "slurring" was precisely that of someone hearing a monitor play their voice back delayed and too loudly. It would happen to anyone not reading from a prepared script and who is unfamiliar with being exposed to that particular effect.

I saw the clip that someone posted on Twitter or something. She may or may not have been drunk but the "slurring" was precisely that of someone hearing a monitor play their voice back delayed and too loudly. It would happen to anyone not reading from a prepared script and who is unfamiliar with being exposed to that particular effect.

Check out other vids of her speaking. That's the way she sounds normally.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/lee-westwood-gives-first-hand-account-of-absurd-dustin-johnson-usga-fiasco/

Lee Westwood gives first-hand account of absurd Dustin Johnson-USGA fiasco

"As he went to put his putter behind the ball, it moved very slightly ... Dustin actually called it on himself before I said or did anything," said Westwood. "But I knew his putter had not been behind the ball when it moved. As far as I was concerned, he had not caused it to move. He certainly hadn't touched it. I'm not sure how else he could have moved it, to be honest. How does he move the ball if he hasn't touched it with his putter?

"To be fair, the ball was sitting on a slight up slope, which is why it moved backward. Anyway, Dustin called in the referee who asked if he could think of any way in which he could have caused the ball to move. Dustin said he couldn't. I agreed with him, and the referee said play on. That was really the end of it as far as I was concerned."

I noticed 2 new articles up on the golf channel website.

DJ "I still don't believe" penalty was right:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/dj-i-still-don%E2%80%99t-believe-us-open-penalty-was-right/?cid=rr_editorial_p4

a quote:

“I was arguing with them because I still don’t believe that I did anything to make the golf ball move,” Johnson said. “But at that point I was ready to sign my scorecard and get my trophy, so I just said, ‘Give me the penalty, let’s go.’”

also:

Thankfully for both Johnson and the USGA, the penalty fiasco became a footnote to the tournament rather than the deciding factor in who received the trophy. Runner-up Shane Lowry believes that Johnson may not have received the penalty had it had determined the outcome, and it’s a theory that Johnson seemed to support.

“If it would have been a different situation where I would have either won or maybe possibly tied or had to go into a playoff, then yeah, there probably would have been a lot more discussion,” he said.

Jordan Spieth:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-dj-us-open-penalty-i-would-have-thrown-fit/?cid=rr_trending_p1

a quote:

“With the amount of slope the pins were on, on certain holes anywhere from 3.2 to 4 degrees slope on certain occasions, and you’re putting often from more slope than that, a 3 mile per hour wind can move the ball resting on the top of the grass on poa annua,” he said. “I believe there was enough time between when his putter was there to when the ball actually moved to be confident in saying he didn’t cause it to move.”

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Jordan Spieth:

http://www.golfchann...=rr_trending_p1

a quote:

“With the amount of slope the pins were on, on certain holes anywhere from 3.2 to 4 degrees slope on certain occasions, and you’re putting often from more slope than that, a 3 mile per hour wind can move the ball resting on the top of the grass on poa annua,” he said. “I believe there was enough time between when his putter was there to when the ball actually moved to be confident in saying he didn’t cause it to move.”

Yeah, but does Spieth believe that 51% or more? That's the real question here. Because if he only believes it 49% let's just forget he ever said anything....

Jordan Spieth:

http://www.golfchann...=rr_trending_p1

a quote:

Yeah, but does Spieth believe that 51% or more? That's the real question here. Because if he only believes it 49% let's just forget he ever said anything....

Good point. that's why all of the USGA officials carry the Official USGA bullxxxx Meter. That way they can objectively quantify degree of certainty vs. bullxxxx.

FORE RIGHT!!!!