• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow pretty shocking results. I have always liked px driver shafts and have a Sz on the way with kk silver tini but have a px lz 6.5 handcrafted all prepped to swap in.

Yeah needless to say I was pretty shocked. The fitter just said even though I can get the club head moving over 115 mph, he said my transition is just super smooth. I don't load the shaft hard and really I felt with going to a light weight, lighter flex, I wasn't trying to muscle the club.

I think that is where a lot of my control issues come in. When I don't load the shaft properly, I start to overswing and spray it. With the 55g I was just able to stay in a nice even tempo, let the shaft do the work. Speed differences were going 114 to 117 when I tried to step on it so very negligible.

Funny thing is I called yesterday to talk about the set up. Mile's threw the club on the Swing weight scale for me and took some tip to shaft measurements. 45.5" with a 197.1g head with the T800 55g 6.0 12g weight back, 4g weight in the front (This is a pretty stock setup) was swing weighting at D9?? How is that possible? I loved everything about what was going on with that fitting but D9 for a stock setup seems something was off.

I'll be double checking those numbers with one of the other fitters today just to make sure my order is processed exactly as the club I was swinging. I will pay the extra to have it built to spec.

Surprisingly I had very similar results with the T800 55g 6.0 shaft. I've never hit a ultralight shaft well, but I couldn't seem to miss with it. It was a little high on the spin and launch for what I like, so I ordered mine with the 65g option. Hopefully that fits the bill. If not, I'll be picking up another 55g 6.0 and tipping it to see if I can get the spin and launch down a bit.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Surprisingly I had very similar results with the T800 55g 6.0 shaft. I've never hit a ultralight shaft well, but I couldn't seem to miss with it. It was a little high on the spin and launch for what I like, so I ordered mine with the 65g option. Hopefully that fits the bill. If not, I'll be picking up another 55g 6.0 and tipping it to see if I can get the spin and launch down a bit.

If I drop my spin without raising my launch, I hit knuckle balls. Working on getting closer to positive AOA is a focus for me this year. That is why I love the fitting process. The valuable information. Shawn said yes my spin is 3000 but at 10* of launch, that is optimal spin. If I can get positive and raise my launch up, it will effectively lower the spin and get closer to optimal numbers.

The one positive thing he said is that honestly its easier to control this. He said if you ask any PGA pro what are their ideal launch/carry/total distance conditions, they want to carry the ball 310 and stop it at 312. Getting the extra roll out is nice but you end up in positions you don't want to be in . Well I have been known to back up a driver in the fairway when my spin gets up closer to 4000 so I have that going for me :swoon:

road -- honestly, that swingweight number might be correct -- (D9) -- the head being roughly 200g, with a shaft that light, it's possible.

good luck man and post the trackman when you get it back from shawn. awesome stuff man and I'm glad you found your driver. after all we talked about it seems like you got the top of your bag figured out for once lol

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

road -- honestly, that swingweight number might be correct -- (D9) -- the head being roughly 200g, with a shaft that light, it's possible.

good luck man and post the trackman when you get it back from shawn. awesome stuff man and I'm glad you found your driver. after all we talked about it seems like you got the top of your bag figured out for once lol

Will do. Glad to hear that. I want to order it at D9 but if it is hotmelted to that weight and it wasn't accurate and feels too heavy, I am hard pressed to get that corrected.

Yeah it may finally be getting sorted out. Problem now is it makes me want to go back and reevaluate the entire bag LMAO. Because the swing is a smooth transition, do I need to look into stepping down a flex everywhere. I don't feel like my launch is too low but did an experiment while I was at Mile's and my pops was doing his fitting.

I grabbed a few clubs (Ping Crossover, Ping G Fairway, New M2 Fairway in both Stiff and X (Tour 80 and 90 in the crossover and G, and just the stock shaft in the M2 just thinking about the flex change) I noticed just based on hitting in the bay (no numbers to back this up) that ball flight was really good with stiff and seemed too low with the X. I still feel like I hit my irons well but may buy some heads and a few shaft to really test this theory. Everything I thought I knew about clubs has been turned upside down at this point.

Will do. Glad to hear that. I want to order it at D9 but if it is hotmelted to that weight and it wasn't accurate and feels too heavy, I am hard pressed to get that corrected.

Yeah it may finally be getting sorted out. Problem now is it makes me want to go back and reevaluate the entire bag LMAO. Because the swing is a smooth transition, do I need to look into stepping down a flex everywhere. I don't feel like my launch is too low but did an experiment while I was at Mile's and my pops was doing his fitting.

I grabbed a few clubs (Ping Crossover, Ping G Fairway, New M2 Fairway in both Stiff and X (Tour 80 and 90 in the crossover and G, and just the stock shaft in the M2 just thinking about the flex change) I noticed just based on hitting in the bay (no numbers to back this up) that ball flight was really good with stiff and seemed too low with the X. I still feel like I hit my irons well but may buy some heads and a few shaft to really test this theory. Everything I thought I knew about clubs has been turned upside down at this point.

between the changes in flex and the idea your swingweights might not be ideal for you -- yea, seems like 'upside down' is an understatement lol

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

between the changes in flex and the idea your swingweights might not be ideal for you -- yea, seems like 'upside down' is an understatement lol

Yeah I mean I like heavy, usually around d4-d5, but shawn had me hit an Epic head with 2 weights that was E something. I didn't hate it. I knew where the head was thats for sure. I think he said he plays his driver at something Like E5 so I am not opposed to this, as long as I am getting what I hit. That was my problem last time I was fitted. Hard to understand how I got optimal numbers in the 2016 M1 on trackman during the fitting and cannot get the ball more than 30 feet off the ground on course when my order came in.

So will the club have a heavier SW with the 55, as opposed to the 65?

I just called miles of golf for like the 10th time. I don't know the answer to that. All they had was 55 so that is all I swung.

The deal is this. Bc the Hzrdus T800 is supposed to be lined up with the GBB Epic which is supposed to be a lighter head, and would be D4 at stock setting. It swingweights heavier with the heavier SZ head.

The SZ is better complimented with the Rogue M-AX (according to Mile's of Golf) which would be D4 at stock with this shaft.

I just called miles of golf for like the 10th time. I don't know the answer to that. All they had was 55 so that is all I swung.

The deal is this. Bc the Hzrdus T800 is supposed to be lined up with the GBB Epic which is supposed to be a lighter head, and would be D4 at stock setting. It swingweights heavier with the heavier SZ head.

The SZ is better complimented with the Rogue M-AX (according to Mile's of Golf) which would be D4 at stock with this shaft.

more than likely due to the Rogue being heavier than the HZRDUS...

I think if you got great numbers with it, in whatever swingweight it was -- you should keep it there. it might look wonky on a scale but, if it works it works.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

more than likely due to the Rogue being heavier than the HZRDUS...

I think if you got great numbers with it, in whatever swingweight it was -- you should keep it there. it might look wonky on a scale but, if it works it works.

I could care less what it looks like. I would have played senior Flex if that is my best numbers. I just want to make sure this go round I get what I was actually hitting. D9 sounded bizarre being its a stock setup. Makes sense now to me. If I was swing D9, I want my club coming at D9. I know it was only 1 session but I haven't hit a golf ball like that with a driver since 2001. I was blown away.

One more thing to consider road, is that the T800 is counterbalanced. So maybe it was a D9 that feels more like a D4 when you swing it??

I'll say i usually like my drivers around D2. I get them cut down an inch to 44.5 then add lead tape to bring it back up. Anyway, when i swung the T800 it didnt feel like a heavy swing weight at all!

One more thing to consider road, is that the T800 is counterbalanced. So maybe it was a D9 that feels more like a D4 when you swing it??

I'll say i usually like my drivers around D2. I get them cut down an inch to 44.5 then add lead tape to bring it back up. Anyway, when i swung the T800 it didnt feel like a heavy swing weight at all!

Yeah but if it is counterbalanced, wouldn't it actually swingweight lighter?

I've had the Hzrdus Yellow in the past in my G30 and my G LS. I had to change the weights the get them up from C9 and D0 back up to D3-D4.

When I threw the Hzrdus Yellow in Epic, I couldn't even feel the head. Just felt like I was swinging a twig with no idea where the head was in the transition. We could have tried to dial it in by adding weight and whatnot. We threw 2 12g weights both front and back but ultimately fell in love with the Tour Limited. I just happened to stumble upon the T800 on my own and then when I compared with the fitter, the results were equal on a larger sample size.

Yeah, the swing weight on the scale should have been correct with the counterbalance weighting. I don't know what I was thinking there.

Ehh I just know enough to be dangerous. I was sincerely asking. I thought I knew the answer but didn't know if I was going to be proven wrong.

I just know that combo works for me, whether counterbalanced or what I could not care less. I am ordering it to the shop and having them compare specs to make sure it's right with what I hit.

Driver fitting 1/22/2017 @ Miles of Golf

Gave me some pretty unexpected information and results. I headed up north to Michigan to MoG to work with Shawn. Awesome guy and super intelligent.

Still waiting on Trackman Results from the fitting but winner was not even close.

Gamer: LTD w/ Tour AD GP 7x at 45" untipped

Contenders:

GBB Epic

Epic SZ

M1 2017

M2 2017

Cobra F7

GAMER:

Been struggling with LTD the last couple months. Just problems finding the middle and when I did seemed to be having some control issues. HIt a few shots to warm up and once I got loose, just absolutely hit one as pure as I could. We used my best shot for my baseline. All with controlled swing. Keep in mind my gamer baseline is not averages as I didn't hit very many good shots with the club, only took my best. The LTD got really wild and lots of pushes and everything kept going right.

SS - 113.4

Ball Speed 169.4

Launch 9.6

Spin 2279

Carry 284.8

Total 314.1

Peak Height 85

AOA -1.6 (I am pretty steep and always hit down on the ball therefore I rarely launch above 10* or spin below 3000)

Will update this with trackman numbers once I get the email from Shawn. Still waiting on the PDF Trackman Results.

Ballspeeds avg:

M1 165

M2 164

F7 160

GBB Epic 167

SZ 172

We decided that the SZ was ultimately the head for me. I was launching on avg. around 10.2 and spinning 2900. Not the most ideal, but the most workable for me. If I can get my AOA to be more optimal, spin will drop but only working with what I have.

Hit some of my favorite shafts that have worked well for me in the past. I typically stay around 75g X-Flex untipped. Super smooth transition, very late release, tons of lag. Works well for my iron play but driver has been an issue for me for the last 2 seasons. If nothing else, this fitting gave me the knowledge of where I need to work in my swing.

So we worked through some of my shafts I liked, Hzrdus Yellow, played with weight, just didn't click for me. AD GP 7x, decent but launching too low and just not making great contact. Shawn grabs an Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60 05. Bang and the magic happened. My launch was up, spin was down and was just middling everything straight as an arrow. I know this is a $500 upcharge but it was fun to swing. I want the Tour Limited but no way I pay $500 for an upcharge shaft. $1000 driver, no improvement is worth that. But this is as good as we found.

Shawn has something to to attend to inside, so leaves me in the bay. "Keep swinging whatever you feel like." I decide I want to see what the T800 is all about. All they have is a 55g 6.0 stiff flex. Very far from what I usually and get pretty wild with 60ish range, who knows what the 55g is going to be.

1st shot. 10.5 launch, 2800 spin, STRAIGHT as an arrow. 290 carry for 320 total. Pretty great. Shawn comes back in and I proceed to hit about 30 in a row that may as well have landed in a bucket in the middle of the fairway. I haven't hit more than 10 fairways in a round since high school. The dispersion and distance were identical for me to the Oban Tour Limited for $500 less. You could have thrown a lasso around all my Tour Limited and T800 shots. For me, I am known as being wild but a good player that will shoot mid 70's with a 3 iron off the tee, get in the 60's if I can hit fairways, but always hit about 2-3 OB on Almost every round that blow up to 10 or 12 on a hole.

The ability to hit this driver straight, shot after shot is the biggest stand out for me. I don't worry about overall distance usually. I am long enough that it really doesn't matter. I will hover around 300 yards. My ability to score comes from not being in the trees. This is a unicorn for me. Fastest ball speeds and straightest of all. GBB wanted to go right. M1 just don't care for the feel or sound and was left and right.

SZ just wanted to go straight.

In the End, I am getting the SZ 10.5* w/ Hzrdus T800 55g 6.0 playing at 45.5" (exactly what I was swinging) and if I get the chance to pick up a Tour Limited 60 05 or 70 05 untipped playing 45-45.5" for a decent price on the BST, I'll grab one and do some on course testing but honestly, as perfect as this shaft was for me, I have no reason to look elsewhere. Just shows the importance of getting fit. Never in a million years would I think at 115-119mph (when in season) swing speed would a 55g Stiff give me the control I need to make aggressive swings and hit the ball straight.

EDIT: Heard from MoG yesterday and had them give me shaft to graphic measurements and Swing Weight the club one more time. They said at 45.5" with 297.1g weight head, it was swing weighted at D9?? can this possibly be right. I like heavy swing weights to help my control but all stock is D9?? any advice is appreciated before I finalize my order.

When I was fit at Callaway my launch with Epics head were low? Fitter said most people he fits have a lower launch? Did you find this as well? I went from playing a 9 head forever to a 10.5 in the Epic....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

When I was fit at Callaway my launch with Epics head were low? Fitter said most people he fits have a lower launch? Did you find this as well? I went from playing a 9 head forever to a 10.5 in the Epic....

Honestly I just launch everything low. But I had my LTD cranked to 12* or 11.5D all last season and the Epic I went 10.5. Every other head I have owned, I always get best results with 10.5. I just hit down on it so much I deloft by nature. I thought the combo I went into Launched about the same maybe a tad higher than my LTD once I found the right shaft.

When I ordered my SZ at 45" with KK silver 60x and midsize NDMC I asked Callaway to SW it to D5 which is where I usually like it and they said they will try but wont hot melt and more than likely will get it to D2. If that is the case I will call Joe Kwok and have him hot melt it to D4-D5. D9 sound like my iron swingweights haha you would think with the t800 being counterbalanced it would make it lighter.

Yeah, I would have guessed the T800 to feel like a lower swingweight. Like D2/D3 or so...simply because thats where my current driver is and they felt comparable. but this is also the first time I've hit a counterbalanced shaft, so I don't how that affects swingweight.

Well it's definitely not as counterbalanced as the Yellow. It effects swingweight a lot. It also effects the feel a lot. I literally had no clue where the head was in my transition, and as I said, had the Yellow before in my Ping G LS. I had to swap the weights out to get a heavier swing weight. Had a 5g swapped it for a 14 or 16g to get it feeling right. But I like a sledgehammer typically.

When I ordered my SZ at 45" with KK silver 60x and midsize NDMC I asked Callaway to SW it to D5 which is where I usually like it and they said they will try but wont hot melt and more than likely will get it to D2. If that is the case I will call Joe Kwok and have him hot melt it to D4-D5. D9 sound like my iron swingweights haha you would think with the t800 being counterbalanced it would make it lighter.

Yeah I typically play 45", but have noticed as of late, all my strikes coming low on the face. Just missing everything low. When I swung it at 45.5", it just felt so natural and hit everything in the center. I know you are tall as well, I am 6'5 and just felt like 45" was too short.

Convention says you make better contact going shorter. The fitter even threw a 3 wood shaft in the M1 so I hit it at 43". I didn't lose any ballspeed, but I actually didn't gain anything in dispersion either. It just felt wonky to me. We dialed in the swing weight to get back to a reasonable range. I actually hit down on the ball more with a shorter shaft. Getting closer to -2-3 range. Going longer got me to my best AOA that I had seen all day. -1 lol.

This is something I need to improve on and that's on me. Changes coming to the swing now that I know more what I need to work on. I think this set up gets me as close as possible to ideal for what I have, and will continue to work on changes.

So, you play an 80TX in the 3 wood, and were fit for a 55g 6.0 stiff in the T800?

If that does not tell a guy how important it is to get fit for this, not sure what will.

I am 100% holding off til I get a chance for a fitting.

Thanks for all of the great info.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

So, you play an 80TX in the 3 wood, and were fit for a 55g 6.0 stiff in the T800?

If that does not tell a guy how important it is to get fit for this, not sure what will.

I am 100% holding off til I get a chance for a fitting.

Thanks for all of the great info.

HAHA yeah. I played a Tour AD GP 7x in my LTD. IT was a pretty decent combo for me until the end.

I started the fitting and We went AD GP 7x in the Epic and SZ heads. Just did not mesh. He asked what I liked so we went through Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5, Rouges, a few others and he grabbed the Oban Tour Limited 60X. Amazing results.

I grabbed the T800 55 6.0 (they did not have the 65 6.0 but I wanted to swing it).

Contrary to what I thought and what the fitter thought would be best, the results did not lie. This shaft gave me identical results to the Oban but with zero upcharge. This is what was ordered.

The fitters were actually quite shocked with how good this shaft was for me. Through conversations afterwards, they said I have an extremely smooth transition. I am 6'5 and have a long arc so can generate tons of club head speed without putting forth much effort. I still get 115 with a nice even tempo. I can get over 120 when I really try to step on it but with the easy swing, I have much more control.

This has made me rethink everything about my set. I launch low because my clubs are too stiff for my transition though I am always fit into Heavy X because of the speed and control issues (when actually they make things worse). My transition does not call for an X. Because I am not loading the X properly, I subconsiously am creating a ton of lag to try to feel that kick, effectively delofting and hitting down on everything. By going light stiff with heavy swing weight, I can feel the head in the transition, feel the shaft load and then just swing easy and let the shaft do the work, I gain better contact and much more control.

Now I am going to be re-examining my iron set up. Trying to get some Demo clubs with stiff shafts to see if I can get something easier to load and work on making a much more even tempo swing and not trying to force the load by coming in so steep with too much lag. This fitting helped me learn a ton about myself. If nothing else I am thankful for that. I came away much more knowledgable about my game and what I need. Could be a costly couple months tinkering but in the end could end up playing much better golf because of it.

you bring up a great point -- when I was workin on my swing back in the summer, my clubs were getting redone. in the meantime I had my dads old RAC's with reg flex shafts. I took them to the range to work on my swing and automatically started swinging easier, while still throwing it out there virtually the same distance -- but with more spin. I will be going to my fitter today after work (searching for a new driver) -- maybe I will pick his brain a bit.

...back to your regular scheduled programming -- lol sorry for rambling personal crap in your thread dood

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

you bring up a great point -- when I was workin on my swing back in the summer, my clubs were getting redone. in the meantime I had my dads old RAC's with reg flex shafts. I took them to the range to work on my swing and automatically started swinging easier, while still throwing it out there virtually the same distance -- but with more spin. I will be going to my fitter today after work (searching for a new driver) -- maybe I will pick his brain a bit.

...back to your regular scheduled programming -- lol sorry for rambling personal crap in your thread dood

No worries Gio....I am all about educating myself in this crazy game. Any thoughts by anyone that go against conventional wisdom are greatly appreciated. I like to turn every stone and find out through trial and error. When something someone says makes sense or not to me, I love to test those theories and see for myself.

Feel free to post here what your fitter says or via PM. It makes total sense to me that me not working as hard to load the shaft would be of great benefit. Better contact by focusing on tempo, instead of trying to mash the ball the as far as possible. If I lose 5 yards per club but get better dispersion left to right, well then it's just all relearning my distances. If I can point and shoot in a straight line, I will gladly sacrafice a few yards total distance. Closer prox to the hole = better scores. If that is achieved by putting my ego to the side and swinging lighter flex, I am in.

Nobody is looking at what shaft is in my club in the real world. Maybe I need to offset that by posting I am changing all my shafts to X7's tipped an inch and 80g TX flex Tipped 1.5" Driver shafts in my sig so then I can still hang with the big boys on WRX LMAO! I honestly wouldn't care what is in my clubs as long as my results are there.

I might cut my PX LZ to a 1/4" longer. The driver that I used to hit the best was an i20 at the factory 45.25 which is 45.5 in other brands, my G30 LS tec is at 45" with a diamana d+ and I have been getting pretty good contact. Come to think of it the i20 had a px black 6.0 maybe the lighter weight px graphite in 6.0 is the holy grail haha. Do you plan on trying the i200 next?

I might cut my PX LZ to a 1/4" longer. The driver that I used to hit the best was an i20 at the factory 45.25 which is 45.5 in other brands, my G30 LS tec is at 45" with a diamana d+ and I have been getting pretty good contact. Come to think of it the i20 had a px black 6.0 maybe the lighter weight px graphite in 6.0 is the holy grail haha. Do you plan on trying the i200 next?

This theory of mine may not work for everyone. I always felt I lost control when I went 60g. Who knows, maybe it's just this profile is perfect for me. I saw my dispersion pattern just get insanely tight (for as wild as I am). It just seemed to work. Can't wait to get the actual club and get on course testing underway.

You should try it. If you are like me, you will try any and everything just to see and know for sure. I wish I had someplace closer to test clubs. Our shop/range closed it's doors December 31 for good. It's just a practice facility that sells clubs. So now I have nowhere to hit during the winter outside. And our courses don't sell clubs. So I am out of luck for now.

As far as the i200, I hit them when I was at my fitting just for curiosity. The are nice clubs. Felt great, look even better. I don't feel like they are that big of a step up in performance from the Ie1 that I have in the bag at the moment, at least not worth the cost of new sticks. I will be weighing all my options as far as reshafting vs buying new. I would definitely look into the i200 if I go the new clubs route, I just need to demo some heads I am comfortable with in new shafts and see what fits

Good info in here regarding the subzero and T800. I too was fit into that head/shaft combo (except 5.5) and ordered half inch short and requested to get it back to stock D4 swingweight, thinking it would need to be bumped back up. After reading your experience, I'm not sure what to expect.

Good info in here regarding the subzero and T800. I too was fit into that head/shaft combo (except 5.5) and ordered half inch short and requested to get it back to stock D4 swingweight, thinking it would need to be bumped back up. After reading your experience, I'm not sure what to expect.

I was told because the T800 was basically geared toward the Epic where the Rogue M-AX was geared towards the SZ head to achieve the D4 stock weight. With those combos, they are D4.

The SubZero head weighs more so naturally has a higher swing weight. Going 1/2" shorter will reduce 3 swing weight points (if memory serves correct) so should drop you to around D5-D6 without changing anything at all.

This could be all total BS, but when I asked the fitter to swingweight it, then called a different fitter to double check those numbers, this was the explanation that was given to me. Mile's of Golf guys know their stuff so I have no reason not to believe them.