Something I've thought about from a personal perspective, but cam to light last night. Shane Lowry has probably never seen the inside of a gym, and we all know the fitness regimes of these guys on tour. It looked last night that Shane was just knackered, and in a game of margins I wonder whether his build effected his ability to continue to peak for what was 22 holes. DJ is just a pure athlete. When I think back, Monty never won a major either, and he was a big fella. Note, I'm a big fella too so it's not an 'ist' post of any kind.

Made up for DJ though, cool under pressure and the approach to 18 was classy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure when Lowry ended up teeing off in his various rounds but this is a factor that Paul McGinley mentioned on Sky Sports. He said that Shane ended up playing three rounds in 36 hours and I don't know how accurate that is but if it was something close to that then fitness is definitely going to be a factor.

That said, he was still finding the green in regulation. It was the 3 three puts in a row that did it for him.

In the grand scheme of things I think there would have been a combination of factors that eventually held him back but fitness is one of those factors for sure.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Shane Lowry does indeed hit the gym quite a bit. Maybe he doesn't diet as much as some of the fitter guys, but hey beer is good. Mmmmmbeeer.

CRIvgyUWoAAIRaG.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-fitness-regime-the-latest-addition-to-my-game-plan-1.2117314

[size=2]D: Titleist 913D2 - 3W: Callaway X2 Hot Deep - 3H: Titleist 913H - Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 - Wedges: Mizuno MP-T - Putter: Rife Aussie Blade[/size]
[size=2]Profile [url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/marten"]@gamegolf[/url][/size]

Here's cool thing to try for people who think fitness or at least being in "golf shape" isn't important. Try playing 18, 6 days a week, walking each round. Hit a large bucket before and after each round. Let me know if your tired come Sunday :) Even the guys that are "round" in shape are still used to practicing, playing and walking. For Lowry perhaps playing 36 in one day could have played a factor, but it was more likely pressure. So despite outward appearance I assure you most are in decent shape, better than you'd think.

Despite continuing attempts of major corporations to make it happen, golf still isn't a game of fitness.

so when is being a fat slob in life ever a good thing?

regardless of being a golfer or not, being in the shape of past champions like Daly, Cabrera and Stadler is just atrocious

look at the guys in the top 10 right now ..... not one of them is out of shape (exception Bubba Watson but he's not obese either) & theres a lot of majors won in that company

so I disagree..... golf is a sport of fitness

Guys who aren't winning or contending more often, will give their head a shake and take after some of these guys

Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
Callaway X-Forged UT 21 | C-Taper Lite 115 X ssx1
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW 58K | DGS400
Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"

DJ is a pure athlete? What sport do you see him competing at the pro level other than golf?

He's built like an olympic swimmer, can dunk a basketball barefoot, and just has ridiculous overall athleticism.

And since when does being a "pure athlete" mean you have to compete at the pro level?

Fitness helps in every way when it comes to golf.

Endurance, when it comes to walking 18 holes at least 4 days in a row - often in very high heat.

Strength, when you have to rip a club through thick rough like what was at Oakmont.

Flexibility - which is obvious why you need it.

And yes, Lowry is out of shape. When your love handles are 3x as wide as your rear end is - you're out of shape.

Something I've thought about from a personal perspective, but cam to light last night. Shane Lowry has probably never seen the inside of a gym, and we all know the fitness regimes of these guys on tour. It looked last night that Shane was just knackered, and in a game of margins I wonder whether his build effected his ability to continue to peak for what was 22 holes. DJ is just a pure athlete. When I think back, Monty never won a major either, and he was a big fella. Note, I'm a big fella too so it's not an 'ist' post of any kind.

Made up for DJ though, cool under pressure and the approach to 18 was classy

What a stupid statement... Shane Lowry used to be a much bigger guy than he is now. He's actually lost a lot of weight. I don't know what his workout routine is, but guys like him & Beef Johnston enjoy food & drink along w/ golf & working out & I for one think it's great. Look at Daily (bad example, I know), Cabrera, Stadler, & Calc ... all Major winners. Hell... People thought Jack was fat when he first started winning. Along w/ Lowry & Johnston, theres DeJong, Kokrak, Reed, Knost, Gore, and several more guys of size out there on tour ... all big guys & all doing fine. I think it has a lot less to do w/ his physical fitness & a lot more to do w/ the pressure. DJ has been in that situation 3-4 times before he could get it done. Lowry did what MOST guys that are in that situation for the very first time do.... he choked, but he'll learn from his mistakes & be better for it.

Titleist TS2 (9.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 (14.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Ping G410 (17.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 H (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 (4-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw (54*/10 and 58*/10)

Evnroll ER5 Black Hatchback (34”)

Snell MTB-X

I don't know what his workout routine is, but guys like him & Beef Johnston enjoy food & drink along w/ golf & working out & I for one think it's great.

We all enjoy food & drink but that's no excuse for letting yourself go.

... all big guys & all doing fine.
But would they have done even better had they maintained a healthy lifestyle and kept excess weight off? IMO yes but we'll never know.

Also throws a 90mph fastball. Yea, maybe not enough for mlb but if you don't want to say he's a pure athlete, then what would he have to do to be one?

DJ is a pure athlete? What sport do you see him competing at the pro level other than golf?

He's built like an olympic swimmer, can dunk a basketball barefoot, and just has ridiculous overall athleticism.

And since when does being a "pure athlete" mean you have to compete at the pro level?

Fitness helps in every way when it comes to golf.

Endurance, when it comes to walking 18 holes at least 4 days in a row - often in very high heat.

Strength, when you have to rip a club through thick rough like what was at Oakmont.

Flexibility - which is obvious why you need it.

And yes, Lowry is out of shape. When your love handles are 3x as wide as your rear end is - you're out of shape.

I don't know what his workout routine is, but guys like him & Beef Johnston enjoy food & drink along w/ golf & working out & I for one think it's great.

But would they have done even better had they maintained a healthy lifestyle and kept excess weight off? IMO yes but we'll never know.

So let me get this straight... You think guys who walk 18 holes of golf every day, Tuesday thru Sunday, who hit range balls for hours every day, and who all have personal trainers that they work out with, you think that they have all "let themselves go"??? I'd say you would have to be in pretty damn good shape to accomplish that week in & week out for 10 months of the year, no matter how perfectly you did or didn't fit into the mold of what is considered "in shape". Every guy on tour has worked his @$$ off to be there & I for one welcome some diversity on tour & am glad that every single guy out there doesn't look the same, act the same, dress the same, or have the same swing.

Titleist TS2 (9.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 (14.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Ping G410 (17.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 H (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 (4-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw (54*/10 and 58*/10)

Evnroll ER5 Black Hatchback (34”)

Snell MTB-X

There's also the very real issue of your swing changing with a big change in body type.

So let me get this straight... You think guys who walk 18 holes of golf every day, Tuesday thru Sunday, who hit range balls for hours every day, and who all have personal trainers that they work out with, you think that they have all "let themselves go"??? I'd say you would have to be in pretty damn good shape to accomplish that week in & week out for 10 months of the year, no matter how perfectly you did or didn't fit into the mold of what is considered "in shape". Every guy on tour has worked his @$$ off to be there & I for one welcome some diversity on tour & am glad that every single guy out there doesn't look the same, act the same, dress the same, or have the same swing.

There is a pretty good argument that can be made that Tiger's obsession with fitness led to the breakdown of his body and the end of his super-golfer status.

No argument that being in shape helps. But there is a fine line between being in shape and being obsessed with developing a body that in the end may not be as suited for golf as what you started with.

Jason Kokrak, Daniel Summerhays, Will McGirt, Patrick Reed, Andres Gonzales, Brendon de Jonge, Colt Knost, Jason Gore, Kiradech Aphibarnrat. If fitness was important the only factor, Camillo Villegas would be winning every week. And Rory McIlroy would make the cut...

Fixed that for you.

Fitness it important, however it's only one thing on a mile long list of important factors for consistently winning on the PGA Tour.

At my age (older than most here) going to the gym is the ONLY reason I still play as well as I do. Amateur guys and gals that don't work out or haven't in years easily get physically and mentally pooped and game suffers I see it too often. Worst part is they don't see the corelation.

Sure there are guys on tour that don't work out and play well, but there are underlying consequences, today more than in the past. Some people just don't care, while others are not mentally strong enough to change their lifestyle for the better. Either way, they pay over time...

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX