USGA statement on rules debacle

Zachilroy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, no apology for questioning the players and on course official's integrity. If I'm not mistaken, they implied DJ and Westwood both lied about the situation after they said DJ didn't cause he ball to move when questioned. Heck, even the pixelated video shows he didn't ground the club behind the ball, which moved backwards btw. Apparently physics wasn't a requirement to become a blue coat. Keep it classy USGA.

So in one corner, we have the USGA who says it is "more likely than not" that Dustin caused the ball to move.

And in the other corner is every PGA TOUR player with a twitter account that says "no way".

Dear USGA,

Get Bent.

Regards,

Everyone.

Sad, I'll bet you know the rules a lot better than almost every player who was tweeting nonsense.

Interesting, no apology for questioning the players and on course official's integrity. If I'm not mistaken, they implied DJ and Westwood both lied about the situation after they said DJ didn't cause he ball to move when questioned. Heck, even the pixelated video shows he didn't ground the club behind the ball, which moved backwards btw. Apparently physics wasn't a requirement to become a blue coat. Keep it classy USGA.

Rolling backward (down hill) is the direction it would move. He grounded the club next to the ball, and it moved when he lifted the club from the ground.

Did that cause the ball to move? I don't know. But certainly very possible.

So in one corner, we have the USGA who says it is "more likely than not" that Dustin caused the ball to move.

And in the other corner is every PGA TOUR player with a twitter account that says "no way".

Dear USGA,

Get Bent.

Regards,

Everyone.

Sad, I'll bet you know the rules a lot better than almost every player who was tweeting nonsense.

Wait, there are rules to this game?

Dear USGA,

Get Bent.

Regards,

Everyone.

USGA:

Yes, we'll let you know what they are after your round...

Dear USGA,

Get Bent.

Regards,

Everyone.

USGA:

Yes, we'll let you know what they are after your round...

Made me LOL.

Reminds me of politicians. And when you have a bunch of word not allowed lawyer types making rules for a game, you end up with this grey area BS. Is this the OJ Simpson debacle where you need to prove something by a reasonable doubt? This is insanity.

USGA... change the rule... again.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Rolling backward (down hill) is the direction it would move. He grounded the club next to the ball, and it moved when he lifted the club from the ground.

I don't recall the ball moving when he grounded the club next to it during his practice strokes and he never actually grounded the putter behind the ball when it moved. We must be watching two different videos.

They keep relying on the fact that they believe the ball would have never moved if he were standing 100yds away from the ball.

I saw pretty fast, slick, triple cut, double-rolled greens on Sunday, that got more and more slick as the day wore on. By 3pm they were pretty firm....

I suspect that if you went back out today, and set a ball there, it would be off that spot at some stage of the day.

I'd say there is more than a 50% chance that the USGA setup lead to a ball oscillating downhill, on its own -- because: physics.

The ball didn't move until a full second (or more) after DJ lifted his putter from beside the ball and started to place it behind the ball. He never grounded the putter behind the ball and the movement of the ball couldn't have been from him hitting it with his putter when the putter was hovering behind the ball. I understand what you are saying, but the delay between when DJ lifted his putter from beside the ball to when the ball actually moves really goes against that argument.

The ball didn't move until a full second (or more) after DJ lifted his putter from beside the ball and started to place it behind the ball. He never grounded the putter behind the ball and the movement of the ball couldn't have been from him hitting it with his putter when the putter was hovering behind the ball. I understand what you are saying, but the delay between when DJ lifted his putter from beside the ball to when the ball actually moves really goes against that argument.

Since I couldn't watch on Sunday, I was watching on DVR last night. In real-time (while he was still on the green...not-zoomed in), it looked like the ball moved as soon as he picked up the putter after the practice stroke.

Is the zoomed-in video later in the broadcast?

There was a decent (but fuzzy) video on here yesterday in one of the many threads, but I can't locate it.

The USGA could screw up the recipe for making ice. It seems like more often than not, the US Open is about the way the course is set up, how they messed up a pin placement, poor conditions on the greens, and not about the players. I may be wrong, but no other national championship with profession athletes has non professional offcials making calls that could affect the outcome. The USGA should bring in officials from the PGA Tour, and thoes guys should have the final word.

The USGA could screw up the recipe for making ice. It seems like more often than not, the US Open is about the way the course is set up, how they messed up a pin placement, poor conditions on the greens, and not about the players. I may be wrong, but no other national championship with profession athletes has non professional offcials making calls that could affect the outcome. The USGA should bring in officials from the PGA Tour, and thoes guys should have the final word.

So you're saying to ask retired PGA Touring pros to come back and be rules officials?

So you're saying to ask retired PGA Touring pros to come back and be rules officials?

No. Use the rules officials from the PGA Tour events. The Tour employs rules officials. They are paid by the Tour, and this is their job. They don't use part time, amateur officials like the USGA. At least one Tour rules official, Dillard Pruitt, is a retired pro.

No. Use the rules officials from the PGA Tour events. The Tour employs rules officials. They are paid by the Tour, and this is their job. They don't use part time, amateur officials like the USGA. At least one Tour rules official, Dillard Pruitt, is a retired pro.

OHHHH, I didn't know that the USGA didn't employ legit rules officials. I assumed it was all the same as the PGA Tour. Jesus, what the hell are they thinking?

And of course Westwood, clearly audible said, DJ did nothing to make that ball move and told the rules official that as he was walking up to the ball to question him. Everyone's integrity was questioned and the USGA being the USGA can't be wrong and had to attempt to save face, and failed miserably in doing so.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Wattel can ground his putter and the ball moves on #2 and it is deemed wind so he is fine. 2 green is shielded by trees and sheds/tents BTW

Hours later when it is likely just as windy and the greens are drier and 5 green is wide open all around it.....

DJ only 3 holes apart from 2, with no grounding, the USGA clowns can 100% confidently say it wasn't wind

I'd love to know if they were putting in the same direction, and I'm pretty sure they were

Give me a break, it makes ZERO sense

The rules have to apply equitably to the whole field

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

OHHHH, I didn't know that the USGA didn't employ legit rules officials. I assumed it was all the same as the PGA Tour. Jesus, what the hell are they thinking?

The two knuckleheads that tried to explain the ruling after the tournament was over are paid USGA staffers, but most of the on course guys are not. DJ really took them off the hook by playing well.