Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Is anyone else playing in Twin Lakes big hole event this Saturday?

our group decided to do the Boulder Pointe No Pin Open this Sunday instead. Big Holes always a treat thou. weather looks awesome all thing considered how its been sometimes at that event

I went out and played twin today. It was in good shape considering the rain.

I always bitched about hole #11 at Eagle Crest. A severe dogleg right with an approach over a HUGE oak tree 10 feet in front of the green. Yes, those capable of hitting a high wedge 170 yards from a downhill lie would find this hole easy. The rest of us struggle.

I played there Tuesday. The tree is gone. Lightning? Disease? Course correction? I don't care. ;)

• 1 month later...

About to set a new personal record! If the weather holds, I'm playing Friday at Sanctuary Lake. The previous record was like Dec 17th or something set back in 01 or 02 (who remembers that crazy warm spell we had back then?).

Crazy. Who thought you could get 54 F in late December in Michigan!

The cost is hilarious. With Teeoff coupon it was $10.40!

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

About to set a new personal record! If the weather holds, I'm playing Friday at Sanctuary Lake. The previous record was like Dec 17th or something set back in 01 or 02 (who remembers that crazy warm spell we had back then?).

Crazy. Who thought you could get 54 F in late December in Michigan!

The cost is hilarious. With Teeoff coupon it was $10.40!

I'm kinda pissed I committed to going to topgolf with my wife and some friends on Friday. I didn't know I could be playing real golf!

I'm sort of the type that would rather skip 50*/18mph rainy days, select greens shutdown, soggy ground, wet shoes, etc, in the winter, knowing that golf will be back come spring. I love the game, but I won't punish myself to play it. To each their own. A simulation game inside a warm sports bar sounds inviting, though.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I'm sort of the type that would rather skip 50*/18mph rainy days, select greens shutdown, soggy ground, wet shoes, etc, in the winter, knowing that golf will be back come spring. I love the game, but I won't punish myself to play it. To each their own. A simulation game inside a warm sports bar sounds inviting, though.

I went to the new xgolf in Rochester yesterday. It was really fun, but the ball was traveling super far on some of my iron shots and I would fly the green and end up in the woods. I also found the putting difficult but next time it should be easier. We might go again Sunday.

I went to the new xgolf in Rochester yesterday. It was really fun, but the ball was traveling super far on some of my iron shots and I would fly the green and end up in the woods. I also found the putting difficult but next time it should be easier. We might go again Sunday.

That sounds pretty cool and fun, and it does what is important it keeps your hand-eye coordination intact as well as you're golfing muscles tuned up. I was on my way home and I passed by Sylvan Glen Golf Course today and noticed a threesome of young golfers out there in 38-degree temperature and light rain. The wind was kicking up a bit as well, and it didn't seem like a very enjoyable time. I think patience is the key right now knowing golf will be back in the spring and finding different methods of dealing with that. One way, is like the X golf you enjoyed, maybe going to a golf dome, maybe a golf trip to a warmer climate, tuning up your bag, etc. Although, if someone to brave the weather and make it out to the golf course, more power to them.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

That sounds pretty cool and fun, and it does what is important it keeps your hand-eye coordination intact as well as you're golfing muscles tuned up. I was on my way home and I passed by Sylvan Glen Golf Course today and noticed a threesome of young golfers out there in 38-degree temperature and light rain. The wind was kicking up a bit as well, and it didn't seem like a very enjoyable time. I think patience is the key right now knowing golf will be back in the spring and finding different methods of dealing with that. One way, is like the X golf you enjoyed, maybe going to a golf dome, maybe a golf trip to a warmer climate, tuning up your bag, etc. Although, if someone to brave the weather and make it out to the golf course, more power to them.

I've swung a club, whether it be xgolf, OU simulator, bucket of balls in the dome or real golf pretty much three times a week since the normal season ended. Working on a swing change and I have a big Phoenix trip in three weeks.

I've swung a club, whether it be xgolf, OU simulator, bucket of balls in the dome or real golf pretty much three times a week since the normal season ended. Working on a swing change and I have a big Phoenix trip in three weeks.

Curious, what type of Swing change are you working on? I made a swing change last year from a power fade (and sometimes a slice), to a straight or slight draw. It's still a work-in-progress, like it is for most golfers throughout their time, but I have gained some yardage with it.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Curious, what type of Swing change are you working on? I made a swing change last year from a power fade (and sometimes a slice), to a straight or slight draw. It's still a work-in-progress, like it is for most golfers throughout their time, but I have gained some yardage with it.

I was taking the club too far outside on the backswing and it was pulling my head down and forward, then I would have to try to make room on the downswing which often resulted on toe misses.

I started out my swinging with my head against a wall in my living room making sure i fixed my turn and my head stayed still. Eventually I incorporated a club and worked on it until the backswing felt normal. Finally I started hitting balls in the dome. It was so hard to make good contact at first because my body wasn't used to being in that position. I was topping it first, then heel shanking lol it was awful for a week there then i finally got the sequencing down where I kept my upper body and hands back until later and then i started just striping it. Now it's just trying to ingrain it to where I can just go play. I'm really excited about 2019!

Super awesome getting to play in late Dec. Can't wait for a 50 degree day in Jan. A few years back I met 4 good buddies, all their late 60's, that play all 12 months in Detroit. Braver and tougher guys than me!

Played in 4 hours and 14 minutes. There was a bit of standing water on maybe 3 or 4 holes, but it was only soggy in a localized area. The greens were shaggy, but I still dropped one twelve footer.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

What kind of sims are they? Their site doesn't say.

Super awesome getting to play in late Dec. Can't wait for a 50 degree day in Jan. A few years back I met 4 good buddies, all their late 60's, that play all 12 months in Detroit. Braver and tougher guys than me!

Played in 4 hours and 14 minutes. There was a bit of standing water on maybe 3 or 4 holes, but it was only soggy in a localized area. The greens were shaggy, but I still dropped one twelve footer.

God I hate that course.

What kind of sims are they? Their site doesn't say.

God I hate that course.

I'm not sure who the manufacturer is but they're pretty nice. I know it's not the same one as OU, which is the one I normally use.

• 3 weeks later...

Played 18 yesterday, much better than today. Temp topped out at about 41F, and wind was practically non-existent. Wind is usually the big factor that will kill you in winter golf.

How can you not tee it up on a day like this?

#6 - Back Tee of Fox Hills "Woodlands". Did you see where a beaver has been busy gnawing down trees?

We were both out there on the 27th. Also teed it up at Fox Hills and Lake Forest in early January. The balance of January looks too much like winter but maybe we will have an early warm up. The ground hog may decide spring is just around the corner.

Played 18 yesterday, much better than today. Temp topped out at about 41F, and wind was practically non-existent. Wind is usually the big factor that will kill you in winter golf.

How can you not tee it up on a day like this?

#6 - Back Tee of Fox Hills "Woodlands". Did you see where a beaver has been busy gnawing down trees?

We were both out there on the 27th. Also teed it up at Fox Hills and Lake Forest in early January. The balance of January looks too much like winter but maybe we will have an early warm up. The ground hog may decide spring is just around the corner.

Yep.. Saw the trees down around the path.... Looks like we are out of luck for a while in Detroit...

• 5 weeks later...

What are people's opinion of Pilgrim's Run Golf Course?

Hidden gem. Play it anytime I’m on west side of the state. It’s always at the top of the request line for our guys when we’re planning trips out that way.

Great piece of land, lots of different types of shots needed to score well, 2-3 boring holes.