Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

I'm out of town March 16-April 1st. The majority of that time will be in Florida. I'm hoping once I return the season will have started. Although last year that was not the case and I had to wait around two weeks after getting my Florida warm-up rounds in. Last spring really sucked! We're overdue for a good one.

On the west side, Brae Burn is generally open whenever the snow is mostly melted, and the Classic at Fox Hills often opens, as well, but they've been a little more sporadic lately. With all the rain we got before the last couple rounds of snowfall, it wouldn't surprise me if they think it's too muddy and don't open.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I called Fox Hills and Brae Burn, and no one picked up at either place. If they’re not open, I don’t know if anything would be on the West side

Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Carl Rose Sr. Those of us that live in this area, have likely been to Carl's on more than several occasions. I'm old enough to vaguely remember the driving range at the corner of Dixie and Telegraph. Believe that was the first place I ever hit a golf ball for the first time with my father. Nice man, spoke with him a couple times at a church we jointly attended. It's the rare individual that is able to work and live one's dream.

Realize the business has been in Junior's hands for some time. But felt his passing should be noted.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

With the clarification from the Governor's office, courses are re-opening. The ones that will remain closed appear to be tied to a university (U of M - Radrick/Blue, EMU/Eagle Crest) or government entity (City of Ann Arbor/Leslie, Ypsilanti Twp/Green Oaks, Oakland County/Lyon Oaks and other "Oaks" courses, etc... My sphere is the Ann Arbor area so things might be different on the east side, etc ...

In my area, Stonebridge, Lake Forest, Whitmore Lake Golf Links, Fox Hills are open. There are others, I am sure, that are also open. I noted today some foursomes at Whitmore were using 4 carts. Frankly, if one is that concerned, possibly playing golf should be avoided. Or maybe I am not sensitive enough to the issue. If this goes into May, 4 carts may be a non-starter.

When the Governor orders all of us to stay home, I will obey. Until then I am going to keep playing, washing my hands, coughing into my elbow and try to enjoy life, as short as it may be.

Add Pheasant Run and Fellows Creek in Canton to the list of municipal courses that aren’t opening right now

I got another round in at Devil's Ridge yesterday. The greens are still slow AF, but otherwise it's in very good condition for March.

The highlight of the round for me was driving the green on #1 with three wood. I didn't know that was possible lol. I was just trying to play short left for the best angle on a 40-50 yard pitch, but I crushed it and it kept drawing back towards the green and carried the bunker in front by maybe three yards. I damn near made the 40 foot eagle putt too! It hit the back left corner of the cup with a hair too much speed and popped out, stopping about 16 inches past the hole.

I consider Monday, March 16 as the "start" of the Corona Virus issue in Michigan. That is the day our Governor started shutting down some of our public facilities. We are approaching the one week anniversary. I have managed to play three rounds since the announcement (Whitmore Lake, Fox Hills, Stonebridge). No symptoms yet but with the 14 day incubation period, who knows.

Whitmore Lake was fairly busy. Fox Hills was eerily quiet. I paid the young woman in the Golden Fox clubhouse and gave her a $5 tip for hanging in there and working. Once I got on the "Classic" it was apparent I was the only one on the course despite it being almost 11:00am. By the time I finished maybe a half dozen people were playing. Stonebridge was similar. We had the course to ourselves after starting at 10:00am. It started to pick up as we were leaving at 12:30.

I expected more people based on all the schools being closed, businesses shuttered, etc ...

• 2 weeks later...

We have to get a gang together and free our brothers from that oppressive police state known as Rhode Island!

I keep seeing listings for Detroit on Teeoff.com, but I wonder if any courses are still open. Anyone know?

TS2 10.5 Hzrdus Black/Smoke RDX

Sim Max 3 wood with Ventus Blue

Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue

Titleist 915F 7 wood with Evenflow Blue

Mizuno MP-54 with Nippon Modus 3 105

Vokey gap and 62

Miura 56 K grind

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I've been emailing state reps and governor's to try and get the courses open. I'm just a few days away from bribing some rich folks to call their rich friends to call a friend of Whitmer to call Whitmer to have her open the courses back up or else!

I'll save the Rhode island people after I get arrested for golfing ?.

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite confident they will honor the coupons, probably all the way into next year depending on how this season goes. All the various tournaments that the gam is holding that occurred on May 15th or before have been rescheduled for later in the year. I'm glad they're rescheduling these and not canceling them giving people the opportunity to play in their desired tournaments.