2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

18 hours ago, reperna said:

played Sanctuary Lakes saturday. I was shocked by the $50 green fees! Course was in fine condition considering the weather. Greens were frozen for the front nine which made life a little more difficult. 

lol $50 in early March when the ground is still somewhat frozen? I know Riverview isn't the best course in the world but $12 walking or $20 riding 18 seems close to the right price at this time.

I think the Troy city courses are in a special situation.  They have far, far more golfers than available tee times, so they charge whatever they want and keep maintenance to a minimum.  I knew a cat that used to work at Sanctuary Lake and he told me that course gets over 50,000 rounds per year, which is the most in the Billy Casper network of courses and kind of amazing for a northern course.

Sylvan Glen is always busy and you would have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa that a ranger actually working to keep the course at pace.

I only play the Troy city courses if there is a super deal on a rate or every other place is booked out.  There are far better places to spend your golfing Dollar.

• Like 1

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

25 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think the Troy city courses are in a special situation.  They have far, far more golfers than available tee times, so they charge whatever they want and keep maintenance to a minimum.  I knew a cat that used to work at Sanctuary Lake and he told me that course gets over 50,000 rounds per year, which is the most in the Billy Casper network of courses and kind of amazing for a northern course.

Sylvan Glen is always busy and you would have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa that a ranger actually working to keep the course at pace.

I only play the Troy city courses if there is a super deal on a rate or every other place is booked out.  There are far better places to spend your golfing Dollar.

I am all for places charging what people will pay, I just wish the consumer would be smarter. 50 for the course and green conditions right now is just crazy to me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cassel191919 said:

I am all for places charging what people will pay, I just wish the consumer would be smarter. 50 for the course and green conditions right now is just crazy to me.

I do not disagree.  I don't think Sylvan Glen is ever worth $50.  And Sactuary Lake is a fun little course, but the design is a bit gimmicky and the course maintenance is almost always sub-standard.  I've never paid more than $29 to play it.

There are far better deals out there and for better courses.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I played Sanctuary Lake yesterday (wed) and the course was in very good condition for this time of the year. Greens were dicey and slow, to be expected though. One thing that stood out to me was how dry the course was for this time of year. Just a perfect weather day, as good as any day in the entire year. I paid $39 for 18/cart.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Got an email this morning saying that Pheasant Run is opening on March 22nd.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

1 hour ago, hybrid25 said:

I played Sanctuary Lake yesterday (wed) and the course was in very good condition for this time of the year. Greens were dicey and slow, to be expected though. One thing that stood out to me was how dry the course was for this time of year. Just a perfect weather day, as good as any day in the entire year. I paid $39 for 18/cart.

I played there yesterday too.  It wasn't too bad.  The greens are just starting to heal from the late season aeration. 

I noticed that rates really shot up on TeeOff.com for many metro courses.  We booked Eagle Crest for next Tuesday for 27 bucks and today they want 48 for the exact same tee time. 

Listening to the pro at a local course he is predicting that rates will be going up all over the city this year.  He claims that demand for golf is higher than it has been since before the 2008 financial crisis.  He also mentioned how GolfNow changed the game and took price power away from the courses.  He believes Covid has something to do with this, but I'm agnostic on that idea.  For what it's worth, the rate increases I've seen would indicate it's going to be more expensive this year.

Edited by Moo

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

On 3/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Moo said:

I played there yesterday too.  It wasn't too bad.  The greens are just starting to heal from the late season aeration. 

I noticed that rates really shot up on TeeOff.com for many metro courses.  We booked Eagle Crest for next Tuesday for 27 bucks and today they want 48 for the exact same tee time. 

Listening to the pro at a local course he is predicting that rates will be going up all over the city this year.  He claims that demand for golf is higher than it has been since before the 2008 financial crisis.  He also mentioned how GolfNow changed the game and took price power away from the courses.  He believes Covid has something to do with this, but I'm agnostic on that idea.  For what it's worth, the rate increases I've seen would indicate it's going to be more expensive this year.

Basically, I think it's a supply/demand issue. I look at green fees also from another angle, how much overhead $$$ is spent by course owners to keep the door open. Inflation is happening as well. It is what it is, and the weather is getting nice! I paid $39 for 18 at SL, seems a bit steep, but their tee times are all filled up!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 3/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Moo said:

Same, I played eagle crest last week was very happy with the price, surprised to see it shoot up so much. Not sure where ill play this week, and then spring break next week so hoping to get out 2-3 days 

4 minutes ago, Priceyd said:

Same, I played eagle crest last week was very happy with the price, surprised to see it shoot up so much. Not sure where ill play this week, and then spring break next week so hoping to get out 2-3 days 

I played Eagle Crest last week and again today.  The good deals are over.

I'm actually not that crazy about Eagle Crest.  It's in good condition, but there are a few holes that I don't really dig.  Horses for courses and all that.

Prices are going up all over town.  If volume drops off, then prices will drop again. 

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

14 hours ago, Moo said:

I played Eagle Crest last week and again today.  The good deals are over.

I'm actually not that crazy about Eagle Crest.  It's in good condition, but there are a few holes that I don't really dig.  Horses for courses and all that.

Prices are going up all over town.  If volume drops off, then prices will drop again. 

Yeah i agree was nice to get out and play first round of season, conditions better then i expected. 

If your playing next week and need an extra let me know i'm off all week 

3 hours ago, Priceyd said:

Yeah i agree was nice to get out and play first round of season, conditions better then i expected. 

If your playing next week and need an extra let me know i'm off all week 

I'll let you know.  We are only playing one day next week because the weather doesn't look great.  The following week we're playing Lyon Oaks, but they no longer have a guest policy and that would mean I couldn't get you the great rate I got the past few seasons.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

After playing Twin Lakes since the year it opened, I finally got to play the newer 9 called Woods.  I really dig it, but some of the greens are difficult to approach.  26 gave me my only double of the day. 

The greens are in very good condition, although the first 9 was recently aerated, but it's healing nicely.

I really like Twin Lakes.  Good course, but Raymond Hearn is an interesting course designer.  I've loved every course of his that I've played so far.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Hey Michiganders, I am moving to the South Lyon area in August and am looking for a couple recommendations:

1.) Looking for suggestions on Country Clubs in the area. Walnut Creek and Meadowbrook seem to be the two closest and most highly touted. Anyone have reviews on amenities/courses/membership or any other suggestions on clubs in the area? 

2.) Since I am moving in August, I likely won't join a club this year but likely next year. So I am looking for quality public driving ranges and practice facilities. What are the top public driving ranges in the South Lyon, Novi, Northville area? 

I live about 1 hour north so I can't speak for private clubs.   There are plenty of public courses I've played including:

Kensington Metropark

Huron Meadows Metropark

Moose Ridge

Coyote Club

Fox Hills (1st choice)

Links of Novi (they tried to squeeze 27 holes into an 18 hole frame but in good shape)

Lyon Oaks

Mystic Creek (Camp Dearborn)

Tanglewood

A little farther north check out Huntmore and The Majestic at Lake Walden

You won't lack for public courses within 20 minutes of South Lyon.   

6 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

I live about 1 hour north so I can't speak for private clubs.   There are plenty of public courses I've played including:

Kensington Metropark

Huron Meadows Metropark

Moose Ridge

Coyote Club

Fox Hills (1st choice)

Links of Novi (they tried to squeeze 27 holes into an 18 hole frame but in good shape)

Lyon Oaks

Mystic Creek (Camp Dearborn)

Tanglewood

A little farther north check out Huntmore and The Majestic at Lake Walden

You won't lack for public courses within 20 minutes of South Lyon.   

@DennyJonesI appreciate all the feedback and public course list. I've checked off several of those already, fired a smooth 75 (39-36) at Huntmore on Saturday. Of those courses you've listed that I have played, I think the best range facility I have seen is at Moose Ridge, but I haven't played all of them. Do you have a range recommendation based on all those courses? I know you said it was an hour south of you, but thought you may have some knowledge. Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, CRDuffy21 said:

@DennyJonesI appreciate all the feedback and public course list. I've checked off several of those already, fired a smooth 75 (39-36) at Huntmore on Saturday. Of those courses you've listed that I have played, I think the best range facility I have seen is at Moose Ridge, but I haven't played all of them. Do you have a range recommendation based on all those courses? I know you said it was an hour south of you, but thought you may have some knowledge. Thanks again!

Huntmore has a decent range, Mystic Creek has a decent range.   A little further north in Fenton is Coyote Preserve.   They have a nice practice facility.

I really can't speak for the others.   sorry

1 hour ago, CRDuffy21 said:

Hey Michiganders, I am moving to the South Lyon area in August and am looking for a couple recommendations:

1.) Looking for suggestions on Country Clubs in the area. Walnut Creek and Meadowbrook seem to be the two closest and most highly touted. Anyone have reviews on amenities/courses/membership or any other suggestions on clubs in the area? 

2.) Since I am moving in August, I likely won't join a club this year but likely next year. So I am looking for quality public driving ranges and practice facilities. What are the top public driving ranges in the South Lyon, Novi, Northville area? 

If money is no object, Meadowbrook is definitely the top option. The course is head & shoulders better than Walnut Creek. Another one you might consider is Oak Pointe in Brighton, though that may be a little farther than you want to go. Lakelands is another option in Brighton -- it's a little short and quirky, but it's a fun course, and they have a pretty nice practice facility, and as I understand it, it's more budget-friendly than the others.

For practice facilities, Lyon Oaks has a pretty good one -- range, practice bunker next to the range, big practice green, . Moose Ridge has a range, but don't bother going there if you want to work on your short game, because the practice green is stupid. Others who live in that area would probably have better recommendations. 

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

On 4/12/2021 at 9:37 AM, CRDuffy21 said:

Lyon Oaks has the best practice facility in the area.  And the course is one of the best designs in the city.  I would go as far as to say it was a perfect design and there are only 3 public courses in the city that I hold that opinion.  I play it about 35 times each year.

Moose Ridge is also in South Lyon.  Excellent design and condition, but it can be a bit more difficult.  You are going to get more difficult lies and a few more unfair bounces.  Moose has a nice grass range, but they don't allow chipping on the practice green anymore because they want it nice for wedding photos.  That is priority problem for me, so I would go to Lyon Oaks.

Mystic creek as mats, so I do not consider their practice facility to be first rate.  It's a fun course, but not very difficult.

Edited by Moo

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 3 weeks later...

The greens at Lyon Oaks are maybe the best I've ever seen them (and I've been playing it since the second month it opened in 2003).  Quick and smooth and exceptional.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

On 4/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, CRDuffy21 said:

Fox Hills has a pretty nice range, but the big advantage there is the short game area. Pretty nice facility for short game area.

2 hours ago, gripandrip said:

Fox Hills has a pretty nice range, but the big advantage there is the short game area. Pretty nice facility for short game area.

There's also a $349/year membership fee to use their short game area. Or $245 if you spring for the $595/year range membership. There's also apparently a daily fee option, but I don't know what they charge for that.