2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

1 hour ago, gripandrip said:

Last I heard the daily rate was $20.

Hence the reason that I live 15 min from Fox Hills (and had my wedding reception there, and played on the Publinx team there for a few years before we moved to Washtenaw), and have never used the private short game area.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 1 month later...

This thread appears dead!

BTW, Lyon Oaks is in top condition.  The greens are rolling true and fairly quick.

• Like 1

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

24 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

I'm playing Moose Ridge Wednesday.   It's been 4 years since I've played there.   I'm looking forward to it.

One of my favorites, but I've loved all 3 and 1/2 Raymond Hearn courses I've played. 

Moose can be difficult, but it's a great design.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

12 hours ago, DennyJones said:

I'm playing Moose Ridge Wednesday.   It's been 4 years since I've played there.   I'm looking forward to it.

played there few weeks ago, love the course. Now they fixed the 18th green as well makes it even better. I finish work for summer on Friday so will probably go play there one day next week 

3 hours ago, Priceyd said:

played there few weeks ago, love the course. Now they fixed the 18th green as well makes it even better. I finish work for summer on Friday so will probably go play there one day next week 

Might be able to play it with you next week, but I won't know until late tomorrow what the schedule is for next week. 

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Might be able to play it with you next week, but I won't know until late tomorrow what the schedule is for next week. 

friday my last day at work for summer, Look forward to it.

Spent the last hour looking at good ways to play 36 next week, how i can play two great courses in the same day.  

1 minute ago, Priceyd said:

friday my last day at work for summer, Look forward to it.

Spent the last hour looking at good ways to play 36 next week, how i can play two great courses in the same day.  

Easy.  Play Links at Novi at 7 am with me and Mike and then we drive 15 minutes to Moose or Lyon. 

I'll know tomorrow about Moose, but we already have a time for next Tuesday at 7:50 at Lyon.  I think there are only 3 playing right now, so you could be the fourth.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Moose kicked our butts today.   The heat index was over 100º and no breeze.  3 three putts caused by rushing to get off of the course.    I don't know the usual pace of play but our foursome waited behind a single and a twosome that we let tee off before us on the first hole.   We waited on every hole but finished at 4:30.   The course was in good shape but the 18 green was completely different (speed) from the other 17 holes.     

10 hours ago, DennyJones said:

Moose kicked our butts today.   The heat index was over 100º and no breeze.  3 three putts caused by rushing to get off of the course.    I don't know the usual pace of play but our foursome waited behind a single and a twosome that we let tee off before us on the first hole.   We waited on every hole but finished at 4:30.   The course was in good shape but the 18 green was completely different (speed) from the other 17 holes.     

over winter they re did the 18 green completelty was a temp green in the fairway for ages, about a month ago they opened the 18th back up so my guess will take a while to be like the other 17 greens. great course one of my faves around. pace of play i have never had an issue 

10 hours ago, DennyJones said:

Number of times I've played Moose and not gotten my butt kicked? 

Zero.

I used to play it several times a year with a guy from Dearborn CC.  He was obsessed with the 13th hole, which can be difficult when the greens are quick.  The 2nd and 3rd are difficult holes for me.  I always hit it on the 3rd to a bad place that gives me a bad bounce.  Still, I love that course.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tax77 said:

I don't know how to fix ball marks that seem to go an inch+ deep.

In 2019 and 2020 I fixed around 5,000 ball marks each month (not as many this year), but I was using a Spider (which is the greatest divot repair tool ever invented).

The vast majority of golfers do not know how to fix even the shallowest divot marks.  I'd guess 90% stick in the standard prong-type tool and pry the grass in the center of the divot up.  This kills the grass as the roots are ripped out.  By sticking the tool outside the divot and pushing the ground IN to the center of the hole from the back and sides, you can fix any divot of any depth. 

If you get a Spider or a Pitch-Fix 2.5 tool, you can pull the divot up from any depth.  I'd buy the Pitch-Fix 2.5 because the Spider will break after 2500 divot repairs (and it's more bulky in your pocket).

• Thanks 1

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 1 month later...

I apologize in advance if this isn't allowed - but I have several groupgolfer certificates that I'm not able to use and was wondering if any of you would be interested in purchasing?  I have to have surgery again and my season is basically over.  Each of the certificates expires at the end of September or October, 2021.  The list is below, with any restrictions, all are for 18 holes with cart and voucher indicates you must make a tee time:

• HIckory Hollow Golf (in Macomb Township) - 4 for $20/ea; AFTER 11am weekends, not good on course holidays, EXP 10/31/21;
  • Solitude Links Golf Club (in Kimball Township) - 4 for $25/ea; AFTER 12pm Fr - Su and holidays, EXP 10/1/21;
  • Dunham Hills Golf (in Hartland) - 4 for $22/ea; AFTER 11:30am weekends, not good on course holidays, EXP 11/1/21;
  • Fieldstone Golf Club (in Auburn Hills) - 4 for $35/ea; AFTER 11:30am weekends and holidays, EXP 11/1/21;
  • The Links at Hunters Ridge (in Howell) - 4 for $22/ea; AFTER 11:30am weekends and holidays, EXP 11/1/21;
  • Metamora Golf & Country Cub (in Metamora) - 4 for $25/ea; AFTER 12pm weekends and holidays, EXP 10/1/21

Please dm me if you're interested and I will email certificates to you once payment is received.  First come, first served.  🙂 I hope someone can get use of them since I'm not able to.  Thanks so much!  Cindy L.  

P.S.  I also posted this in the All Things Michigan Golf forum as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, Moo said:

Northville Hills is in very nice condition. Quick greens that are rolling very true. It had been a few years since I had played it, but now I remember how good a course it is.

IMO, Northville Hills is the best conditioned course in the area. Somehow I haven't gotten out there yet this year, but I will. It was pristine when I played it last year multiple times.

42 minutes ago, garyt said:

IMO, Northville Hills is the best conditioned course in the area. Somehow I haven't gotten out there yet this year, but I will. It was pristine when I played it last year multiple times.

It's a great course.  We call it Arnold's friendly course.  Coyote Preserve, on the other hand, was Arnold's not-so-friendly course.

I believe The Orchards is the best conditioned course in the entire city, but Northville Hills is certainly near the top.  The greens are quick and true at Northville, but that first hole is often a 3 putt for me.  That first green is a monster.

• Like 1

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's a great course.  We call it Arnold's friendly course.  Coyote Preserve, on the other hand, was Arnold's not-so-friendly course.

I believe The Orchards is the best conditioned course in the entire city, but Northville Hills is certainly near the top.  The greens are quick and true at Northville, but that first hole is often a 3 putt for me.  That first green is a monster.

I actually thought it was in better shape than the Orchards but it's just splitting hairs at that point.

Agree on Coyote Preserve being a tough course.

2 minutes ago, garyt said:

I actually thought it was in better shape than the Orchards but it's just splitting hairs at that point.

Agree on Coyote Preserve being a tough course.

It could be, as I've not played Northville since June.  I've played The Orchards at least 100 times and only once was it anything less than perfect.  That course is just the standard for me.

Coyote Preserve is fun and scenic, but it's clear that Arnold wanted to make a challenge.  We used to play it all the time when they had those coupons for 29 bucks. 

• Like 1

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 1 month later...

The Metro Detroit season is winding down!

Lyon Oaks closed this past Sunday.  Still a bunch of courses open, but that won't last long.

Decent weather starting Sunday for a couple of days.  Have to get in a couple more rounds before I hang em up for 2021.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

12 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Played Oakland Hills South Course on Sunday. Never played it before the renovation but I thought it was awesome. The guy who invited me said on the 16th green that he came to the conclusion he liked it better before the reno. Still had a blast and got some good stuff from the pro shop. 

I think it is way better now, some of the new bunkers are fantastic and the new number 7 is exceptional. The greens need at least another year to mature, they are not even close to what they will be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cassel191919 said:

I think it is way better now, some of the new bunkers are fantastic and the new number 7 is exceptional. The greens need at least another year to mature, they are not even close to what they will be.

The bunkers are absolutely massive out there. Greens were slow, but that's understandable. And number 7 is awesome. It's actually a hole we took a photo on. I had my best birdie look of the day on that hole after getting lucky and pulling my driver left of the left bunkers. Hit a nice wedge to about 15 feet and just had a little too much pace on the putt. But visually, it's so cool and we literally as a 3 some played it 3 different ways and all made par. I was left rough, left of the left bunkers, one was dead center in the left fairway, and the other carried onto the right fairway by literally 3 or 4 yards. Can't wait to see it in a year or two with the greens turned up. I could see some holes like 11 causing people to walk off the course down to the left of the green. lol even in our conditions we had a few not make it up there and roll all the way back. 

19 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

The bunkers are absolutely massive out there. Greens were slow, but that's understandable. And number 7 is awesome. It's actually a hole we took a photo on. I had my best birdie look of the day on that hole after getting lucky and pulling my driver left of the left bunkers. Hit a nice wedge to about 15 feet and just had a little too much pace on the putt. But visually, it's so cool and we literally as a 3 some played it 3 different ways and all made par. I was left rough, left of the left bunkers, one was dead center in the left fairway, and the other carried onto the right fairway by literally 3 or 4 yards. Can't wait to see it in a year or two with the greens turned up. I could see some holes like 11 causing people to walk off the course down to the left of the green. lol even in our conditions we had a few not make it up there and roll all the way back. 

You unfortunately played the greens a few weeks after they were punched and I think it even closed for the season the next day after you played.  On 11 my dad looked like he hit a great shot but it didn't make it to the middle and about 20 seconds later it was 65 yards down the hill, I have always loved that hole you can play it so many ways once you get on the green. 

• Like 1

Fun to read folks playing Washtenaw, and Eagle Crest. I grew-up in Ypsi in the 70s/80s, and I worked at WCC during college summers. The Lions and Red Wings always had a tournament there each summer, so it was cool meeting the players. The toughest thing for some to get used to there are the small greens. Lots of great memories there, and it was nice to play there the last few years when I came-in for work or family stuff.

When Eagle Crest was built it was pretty pricey for the area. I never played it much because there were so many good pub links that were cheaper. I only played it twice when I was younger, twice more in the last few years. Fun course, and I was always glad it was Eastern’s course. 
This thread has been fun to browse through just to remember the courses I played years ago….

Edited by Pmookie

43 minutes ago, cassel191919 said:

You unfortunately played the greens a few weeks after they were punched and I think it even closed for the season the next day after you played.  On 11 my dad looked like he hit a great shot but it didn't make it to the middle and about 20 seconds later it was 65 yards down the hill, I have always loved that hole you can play it so many ways once you get on the green. 

To be honest, I didn't even care about the greens. I had perma smile on all day long just being out there. My legs were wrecked after that walk ( i ride 95% of my rounds), but I was super happy to be able to say I got to play it. Hoping he invites me next year and play it with the greens turned up. 

7 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

To be honest, I didn't even care about the greens. I had perma smile on all day long just being out there. My legs were wrecked after that walk ( i ride 95% of my rounds), but I was super happy to be able to say I got to play it. Hoping he invites me next year and play it with the greens turned up. 

It is always a treat, one of my favorite days of the year is my round there.  Like you said hopefully you can get back out there because they are one of the top 5 set of green complexes in the country, who doesn't want the course to play twice as hard lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this question has been asked in different ways several times, but I'm doing it again anyway. I'm looking for recommendations for a golf instructor that can help me to work out some of the issues in my game that have been making golf not much fun lately. Namely, helping to fix an underlying swing flaw that leads to inconsistent driving (and sometimes ballstriking with my irons). I'm looking for someone who is good at working with lower handicappers, and in the western Detroit suburbs. I live in Canton, and I'd be looking to go no further than a radius like Novi/Ann Arbor/Dearborn. I am also planning to avoid the Kendall Academy, because I've taken lessons from one of the guys there over a few years (though not since COVID started), and I'd feel a little weird going to someone else there. The guy I worked with before isn't a bad teacher, but I don't feel like we've managed to really address the main fault in my swing in a lasting way, so I'm looking to try working with someone else to see if that may help.

I'm thinking about reaching out to Jordan Young or one of the other people at Fox Hills, but I'm open to other recommendations. Thanks!

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x