2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

7 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I know this question has been asked in different ways several times, but I'm doing it again anyway. I'm looking for recommendations for a golf instructor that can help me to work out some of the issues in my game that have been making golf not much fun lately. Namely, helping to fix an underlying swing flaw that leads to inconsistent driving (and sometimes ballstriking with my irons). I'm looking for someone who is good at working with lower handicappers, and in the western Detroit suburbs. I live in Canton, and I'd be looking to go no further than a radius like Novi/Ann Arbor/Dearborn. I am also planning to avoid the Kendall Academy, because I've taken lessons from one of the guys there over a few years (though not since COVID started), and I'd feel a little weird going to someone else there. The guy I worked with before isn't a bad teacher, but I don't feel like we've managed to really address the main fault in my swing in a lasting way, so I'm looking to try working with someone else to see if that may help.

I'm thinking about reaching out to Jordan Young or one of the other people at Fox Hills, but I'm open to other recommendations. Thanks!

Ben Bockin at Golf Leadership Academy.   Novi area on Grand River.   They have a Youtube channel if you want to see some of their work.  

39 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Ben Bockin at Golf Leadership Academy.   Novi area on Grand River.   They have a Youtube channel if you want to see some of their work.  

A friend of mine recommended him when I was searching for my last instructor, and I called him a couple of times, and he never returned my calls. I parted ways with a previous teacher because of him frequently cancelling lessons on me (including the last straw, when he didn't show up for one that we had scheduled), so not returning calls when I was trying to schedule a lesson was a red flag to me.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, Moo said:

Number of times I've played Moose and not gotten my butt kicked? 

Zero.

I used to play it several times a year with a guy from Dearborn CC.  He was obsessed with the 13th hole, which can be difficult when the greens are quick.  The 2nd and 3rd are difficult holes for me.  I always hit it on the 3rd to a bad place that gives me a bad bounce.  Still, I love that course.

I know this is 6 months old, but who in their right mind likes that 13th hole?!?!?!?

It's difficult as heck. I grew up playing there. Probably played about 100 times. I like about half of the holes at Moose. and don't care for the other half. #1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17 are good holes. I find the others too gimmicky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teehilden said:

I know this is 6 months old, but who in their right mind likes that 13th hole?!?!?!?

It's difficult as heck. I grew up playing there. Probably played about 100 times. I like about half of the holes at Moose. and don't care for the other half. #1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17 are good holes. I find the others too gimmicky.

Moose is an unusual design.  This may be the first season in a decade I didn't get out there and get my beating.  Still, I do like it, but a few times a season and not as a regular in the rotation. 

My favorite public course is Lyon Oaks because it's a good test and it's insanely fair and manageable.  We have so many great courses in Metro.  It's crazy really.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

4 hours ago, Moo said:

Moose is an unusual design.  This may be the first season in a decade I didn't get out there and get my beating.  Still, I do like it, but a few times a season and not as a regular in the rotation. 

My favorite public course is Lyon Oaks because it's a good test and it's insanely fair and manageable.  We have so many great courses in Metro.  It's crazy really.

Grew up in the area, and had to move to DC for work for 4 years. Made me appreciate how spoiled we are with quality options at quality prices here. A course equivalent to Lyon Oaks in DC metro would take me an hour or more to drive to (I’d probably pay $10+ in tolls) and then the greens fees would be double the cost of Lyon Oaks.

Played Moose Ridge back in '18 (?) with the traveling bud's group.  Most didn't care for it.  I thought it was OK, primarily because I played pretty well that day.  Yes to several holes being gimmicky.  And got a funny vibe form the place that I didn't care for.  It was a hike for us, coming from northern Oakland county.  There's no compelling reason to ever play there again.  Lyon Oaks is logistically closer and like the course much more (played there 2x).  We reside around the greater Clarkston area, would be on the rota list if closer.  Curious to play Coyote Club sometime.  But have read some mixed opinion. And with Lyon nearby, hard not to just play there. 

We are indeed very fortunate with the number and quality of public courses in the metro area.  At reasonable prices (mid-week senior deals).  We have a regular rotation of six core courses and throw in a couple out of the immediate area to mix things up.  This year,  Atlas Valley Golf Club finally opened.  A once private club now open to the public.  A long saga getting the course re-opened and playable, compounded by Covid.  The owners have been making significant investment in upgrading, and conditions steadily improved through the season.  Became a favorite amongst our group of 12-16 golfers.  And for $37 midweek, a real bargain.  We circulate over to the Oxford area to play the courses in that direction.  Boulder Pointe mostly, although not liking their "pay at booking" policy.    

As the primary venue coordinator for our group, try and keep a bunch of cranky old guys happy.  Balancing drive logistics, cost to play, course difficulty relative to general abilities, POP (we like to get around in > 4 hours), adding a new course occasionally to keep it interesting.  A thankless job but someone has to do it.  

Stupid winter.  Ready to tee it up again.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Curious to play Coyote Club sometime

Coyote was a course that I played once.   The course was in decent shape with the greens so large and undulating that multiple putts were the norm.   The 18th hole was a layup for me off of the tee.    Although it's decent, it's not a course I'd play again.   It's sister course, Coyote Preserve is much better.

Atlas Valley is a very nice course.    One guy we play with frequently is a starter there.   They have spent a lot of money on the course and the improvements are obvious.   It's one of my favorite courses.  

It's not too much farther than Atlas Valley for you guys but Sugarbush in Davison is worth the trip.   They keep the course in great condition, the rates are senior friendly and they continually do course improvements.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Coyote was a course that I played once.   The course was in decent shape with the greens so large and undulating that multiple putts were the norm.   The 18th hole was a layup for me off of the tee.    Although it's decent, it's not a course I'd play again.   It's sister course, Coyote Preserve is much better.

Atlas Valley is a very nice course.    One guy we play with frequently is a starter there.   They have spent a lot of money on the course and the improvements are obvious.   It's one of my favorite courses.  

It's not too much farther than Atlas Valley for you guys but Sugarbush in Davison is worth the trip.   They keep the course in great condition, the rates are senior friendly and they continually do course improvements.   

Thanks.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Coyote.   Dislike making the trek to a course, only to discover it's a "one time is enough" excursion.   Especially one that is something of a PITA to get there.  Attempt to perform my due diligence research on a course before venturing off into the unknown.  With the plethora of options available, a "new" course typically has one chance to prove itself.  If it's not especially favorable, there's little inclination to ever return.  Have several on the "do not play" list.   

I've appreciated the effort that ownership has made at AV.  They are resurrecting a course that laid dormant for several years.  Takes time and money to get it back into shape.  It's located in something of an in-between location, off the radar for those outside the area.  So try and increase awareness when the opportunity presents itself.  We play early and not that busy when we tee off.  Allowing us to shoot and scoot which is our preference.  By the time we're finished around noon, the course is noticeably more crowded.  So golfers have returned.  Just hope they continue to keep it semi-private and open to public play.  It's become a favorite as well.  An easy sell with the bud's group.    

Will have to place Sugarbush on the list for next year.  Played there before, but it's been 20 years.  No particular reason other than not being on the radar.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

4 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Played Moose Ridge back in '18 (?) with the traveling bud's group.  Most didn't care for it.  I thought it was OK, primarily because I played pretty well that day.  Yes to several holes being gimmicky.  And got a funny vibe form the place that I didn't care for.

Funny you should mention that as a golf buddy has said something similar.  Back in 17 or 18 I was chipping by the chipping green and the starter came over and told me there was no chipping and then he pointed to a sign.  And the short story is I was told they don't want to turf roughed up because it's bad for the wedding photos.  So that exchange moved Moose Ridge from a regular in the rotation to once or twice a season. 

I like to walk, so the cart path thing does not bother me, but many people complain that the cart restrictions are a bit too much at Moose. 

As for Coyote Club, do not bother to make the drive.  Coyote Club isn't remotely similar to Coyote Preserve.  And Coyote Club has one of the dumbest finishing holes in Metro Detroit golf.  Coyote Club is a course for people in leagues and the only reason you would ever play it is because of proximity. 

Atlas Valley is on my list for 2022.  I had never heard of it before, but it looks interesting.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

22 hours ago, Moo said:

Funny you should mention that as a golf buddy has said something similar.  Back in 17 or 18 I was chipping by the chipping green and the starter came over and told me there was no chipping and then he pointed to a sign.  And the short story is I was told they don't want to turf roughed up because it's bad for the wedding photos.  So that exchange moved Moose Ridge from a regular in the rotation to once or twice a season. 

I like to walk, so the cart path thing does not bother me, but many people complain that the cart restrictions are a bit too much at Moose. 

As for Coyote Club, do not bother to make the drive.  Coyote Club isn't remotely similar to Coyote Preserve.  And Coyote Club has one of the dumbest finishing holes in Metro Detroit golf.  Coyote Club is a course for people in leagues and the only reason you would ever play it is because of proximity. 

Atlas Valley is on my list for 2022.  I had never heard of it before, but it looks interesting.

I second everything said about Coyote. Coyote Preserve is usually cheaper and most people like it much more. I know I do! Also, I have lots of stories about staff being rude at Moose Ridge, don't get me started. I watched a guy get thrown off the range and told to never come back because there was no open hitting bays so he was hitting off the grass beside the bays (this was in early spring). That was it, the guest never said anything... thought the guy must've had a bad day. But I've heard/seen several other similar incidents since then.

I played Coyote Preserve earlier this year for the first time in 2-3 years, and it it a pretty tough course. It’s not a place you want to take your 20 handicap buddies if you want to have a fun round. It also wasn’t in great shape, especially the bunkers.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Prior to this year the latest I ever played Metro golf was Dec 23, but that record has fallen.  I was able to post up 18 holes on Dec 31.  There were not many choices available, so on a whim I headed over to Sylvan Glen (no one answered the phones so I figured they would be closed).  The pro shop was closed but there were at least 30 cars in the parking lot and many golfers out on the course. So me and another guy walked 18 for free.  Everyone played for free that day.

Guy I played with had an old Callaway Isaac Newton bag, which was very groovy (but I bet it weighed a ton). 

001.jpg

20211231_125041.jpg

20211231_125631.jpg

20211231_130123.jpg

20211231_150230.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

On 12/30/2021 at 6:32 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Played Moose Ridge back in '18 (?) with the traveling bud's group.  Most didn't care for it.  I thought it was OK, primarily because I played pretty well that day.  Yes to several holes being gimmicky.  And got a funny vibe form the place that I didn't care for.  It was a hike for us, coming from northern Oakland county.  There's no compelling reason to ever play there again.  Lyon Oaks is logistically closer and like the course much more (played there 2x).  We reside around the greater Clarkston area, would be on the rota list if closer.  Curious to play Coyote Club sometime.  But have read some mixed opinion. And with Lyon nearby, hard not to just play there. 

We are indeed very fortunate with the number and quality of public courses in the metro area.  At reasonable prices (mid-week senior deals).  We have a regular rotation of six core courses and throw in a couple out of the immediate area to mix things up.  This year,  Atlas Valley Golf Club finally opened.  A once private club now open to the public.  A long saga getting the course re-opened and playable, compounded by Covid.  The owners have been making significant investment in upgrading, and conditions steadily improved through the season.  Became a favorite amongst our group of 12-16 golfers.  And for $37 midweek, a real bargain.  We circulate over to the Oxford area to play the courses in that direction.  Boulder Pointe mostly, although not liking their "pay at booking" policy.    

As the primary venue coordinator for our group, try and keep a bunch of cranky old guys happy.  Balancing drive logistics, cost to play, course difficulty relative to general abilities, POP (we like to get around in > 4 hours), adding a new course occasionally to keep it interesting.  A thankless job but someone has to do it.  

Stupid winter.  Ready to tee it up again.  

Atlas is a really good track, I played it many times before it was sold/closed. I use to play a bit with the former owner, looking forward to playing AV in 2022.

You guys should try Farmington Hills, it’s not a bad layout and is usually in good shape for a public golf course and it's a good price at $27 including cart. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, Moo said:

Prior to this year the latest I ever played Metro golf was Dec 23, but that record has fallen.  I was able to post up 18 holes on Dec 31.  There were not many choices available, so on a whim I headed over to Sylvan Glen (no one answered the phones so I figured they would be closed).  The pro shop was closed but there were at least 30 cars in the parking lot and many golfers out on the course. So me and another guy walked 18 for free.  Everyone played for free that day.

Guy I played with had an old Callaway Isaac Newton bag, which was very groovy (but I bet it weighed a ton). 

001.jpg

20211231_125041.jpg

20211231_125631.jpg

20211231_130123.jpg

20211231_150230.jpg

That's awesome man.  More power to you.  I've gotten soft to the point where I won't play if it's below 60.  Michigan is a great golf state.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, GolfCarl said:

That's awesome man.  More power to you.  I've gotten soft to the point where I won't play if it's below 60.  Michigan is a great golf state.

I used to never play below 60, but something happened and I'm now resistant to the cold. 

Got in 9 today for the first round of 2022.

20220112_140641.jpg

• Like 1

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

17 hours ago, Moo said:

Couldn't help myself, so I went out and played 9 more today.  35F with a little wind.  But today I made a major improvement on winter golf...I brought a hammer and some heavy tees.  Much improved.

20220113_132510.jpg

20220113_134010.jpg

20220113_142917.jpg

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

12 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Did you yell "Boom" after each stroke of the hammer?  😆

I didn't have to yell today because of the hammer.  No bruises on my palm from using my body weight to force a tee into the ground like yesterday.

The hammer is a major winter golf innovation.  I think soon everyone will be carrying one their bag.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

38 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

It was in reference to The Hammer's (driver) golf commercial.   The guys that swung the club almost always said "Boom".    

Sorry, but I've never heard of it.  I watch the majors and maybe 10 other tournaments all year and that is it for TV.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

POW!!!

1 hour ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

POW!!!

Hilarious!  And I've never seen this before.

I wonder if that guy is now working as the voice-over man for PXG (I'll never buy or play PXG because of that guy).

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

7 hours ago, cassel191919 said:

I am pretty sure the guy in the PXG commercials is the owner lol.

He should pony up some cash and hire a pro.  It's a catchphrase that makes some people want to NOT buy your clubs.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 8:20 AM, Pbar23 said:

Hi All,

Looking for a golf league to join in the metro Detroit Area preferably near the Commerce area but I am open to driving a little if need be. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations of a league and/or where I could find a directory of leagues looking for members. 

Thanks!

Lyon Oaks has a number of leagues each season and they are fairly well run (in as far as a league can actually be well run).  If you are interested in that course, let me know and I'll text one of the supers that run them and find out for you how to get a spot.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Wow...I pray nobody was killed in that tragic event.  I was fortunate to play Oakland Hills South and use the clubhouse, locker rooms and have lunch a few years back and it was awesome.  I am guessing that much of the historic items were destroyed :(

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link