Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Yay! First Spring tee time booked in Michigan.  Friday late morning at White Lake Oaks to see how she looks after a long winter siesta.  

Sunday mid-morning will probably be at Rolling Meadows in South Lyon area with the oldest son.

Time to get back into the regular routine.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I love real grass.  Bermuda is like hitting out of steel wool.  White Lake Oaks was perfectly groomed and playing stupendous.  82 with two kick in birdies and three operator stupidity double bogies.  Doh!

TM Spider GT-X putter

Anyone ask around for Club rates recently?  Moving from Livingston county area further east, and have been looking for a different club, and HOLY COW.  Can't find anything sub $7500 initiation fee and $600/mo.  

Anyone have any connections, or want to be a sponsor?

I was $1500 initiation 6 years ago and a little over $400/mo currently

Its starting to be unaffordable to play, little scared to try and get out on some public tracks and fight the league play all week

5 hours ago, njspence said:

Anyone ask around for Club rates recently?  Moving from Livingston county area further east, and have been looking for a different club, and HOLY COW.  Can't find anything sub $7500 initiation fee and $600/mo.  

Its starting to be unaffordable to play, little scared to try and get out on some public tracks and fight the league play all week

I’m not a Cc guy because I’m BROKE but I’ve heard Lakelands (Brighton) is a little cheaper. Also I could be VERY wrong but I think Oak Pointe isn’t terribly expensive. I played one of the courses at Oak Pointe years ago and I remember it to be kind of short but well groomed.

7 hours ago, DennyJones said:

the Metropark courses aren't expensive and relatively nice.   They can be busy.  

Huntmore, Mystic Creek, Tanglewood,  Links of Novi, Lyon Oaks and Chemung are public and all nice.   There are plenty of nice muni courses in your area.   

Yeah, that’s still Border of Livingston/Oakland. Lots of great munis out here, just incredibly difficult to get out there 

anyone ever play western CC?

14 hours ago, njspence said:

I shot you a PM, hope that helps.

8 hours ago, teehilden said:

I’m not a Cc guy because I’m BROKE but I’ve heard Lakelands (Brighton) is a little cheaper. Also I could be VERY wrong but I think Oak Pointe isn’t terribly expensive. I played one of the courses at Oak Pointe years ago and I remember it to be kind of short but well groomed.

currently at Oak Pointe, just the drive is getting difficult

lakelands has actually almost tripled

since I inquired 5/6 years ago 

looking further East

thanks!

2 hours ago, njspence said:

Yeah, that’s still Border of Livingston/Oakland. Lots of great munis out here, just incredibly difficult to get out there 

anyone ever play western CC?

I have played Western. It’s got the old country club course feel. Always maintained very well. And I believe they just finished the new club house right?

Was a good golf week last.  Two rounds despite weather.  Start volunteering today at my local course as a retired old coot starting other similars.  lol  Work 2 days, get two free rounds with a guest.  This fits my budget well.  Four round trips to the course is less than $10 in gas. I love playing on Michigan turf vs Bermuda.  So easy to get an iron thru this stuff.  Said it before, but Bermuda is like playing out of steel wool for me.

Oldest son and I are playing Washtenaw Golf Club next Sunday, his new favorite place.  I'm packing my A game cuz he only lost by one shot Friday and it's my first lap around his course.  Hope to get another round in before Sunday, but we'll see if Michigan weather cooperates.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

On 4/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, SnowbirdTom said:

Oldest son and I are playing Washtenaw Golf Club next Sunday, his new favorite place.  I'm packing my A game cuz he only lost by one shot Friday and it's my first lap around his course.  Hope to get another round in before Sunday, but we'll see if Michigan weather cooperates.

I got married there. The place looked great ten years ago. Golfed there, for the first time, last year. I was surprised to see that the course was not in great shape. I know they’ve been making changes. Their member rates seem reasonable enough, if they’ve straightened things out. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, SnowbirdTom said:

Was a good golf week last.  Two rounds despite weather.  Start volunteering today at my local course as a retired old coot starting other similars.  lol  Work 2 days, get two free rounds with a guest.  This fits my budget well.  Four round trips to the course is less than $10 in gas. I love playing on Michigan turf vs Bermuda.  So easy to get an iron thru this stuff.  Said it before, but Bermuda is like playing out of steel wool for me.

Rangering is a great deal if you've got the time. 

As for Bermuda grass, I hate the stuff.  The very first time I played it, I hit a chip shot and looked down and the ball was still there, in the exact same place it was before I hit.  The Florida boys I was playing with all laughed and told me about the, "devil grass".

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Last minute, why not 18 holes today at Highland Hills GC to prep for their Tuesday morning Senior Scramble next week.  Yeah, it's a dog track, but $22 for 18 with a cart?  And IMO any golf is good golf.  😊

TM Spider GT-X putter

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BassCatchr77 said:

Got time for just one round tomorrow in the Detroit metro area and was wondering what public course you guys would choose if you could only play one in a day? 

Just looking for a fun unique course! 

Thanks!

I'd invite you this morning, but we have four.  Sorry about that.

I would play the following.

1.  The Orchards.  It's a bit of a drive from Dearborn, but it's won best public course in the city probably 25 years out of the past 30.  It's not the prettiest course, but it's a brilliant design and the conditions are country club level.

2.  Lyon Oaks.  It's an Oakland County course and it's Art HIlls best design in the city. 

3.  Shepherds Hollow.  Everyone raves about it and it's amazing to look at.  But, great shots are not always rewarded on certain holes.  That said, it always ranks in the top 5. 

4.  Moose Ridge.  A bit more walking, as many holes are cart path only.  But, Moose is unique and it can be fairly difficult.  A high premium on accuracy over power.  Lots of hills and one of the most difficult holes in the entire state (number 4).

5.  Northville Hills.  A bit closer to Dearborn.  It's well maintained.  Arnold has two courses in the city and we call this one, "The Friendly Course".  It's not a must-play, but it's good and the best choice in terms of distance from Dearborn.

There are maybe a half dozen more, but most are too much of a drive.

Lyon Oaks is going to be the cheapest at 59 bucks during the week.

Good luck.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

8 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Played Shepherd's last saturday, holes 1-18, and it was in TERRIFIC shape. If they could fix the 16th hole so everything doesn't roll down to the left, it would be one of the best 18 holes you could play.

Was just talking about that hole last Sunday.  I love Shepherds, or rather I love 16 of the holes.  The 16th is kinda dumb and a perfect example of when a good shot might not get rewarded.  I also think the 11th green is dumb.

Shepherds is probably the most beautiful course in the city and they maintain it at a very high level, but it's not my favorite Art Hills design. 

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

12 hours ago, Moo said:

Was just talking about that hole last Sunday.  I love Shepherds, or rather I love 16 of the holes.  The 16th is kinda dumb and a perfect example of when a good shot might not get rewarded.  I also think the 11th green is dumb.

Shepherds is probably the most beautiful course in the city and they maintain it at a very high level, but it's not my favorite Art Hills design. 

Just need to completely ignore the front of the 11 green and hit it to the top level. Main complaint there is that balls all roll off and filter into the same area where there's a million divots!

6 hours ago, larrybud said:

Just need to completely ignore the front of the 11 green and hit it to the top level. Main complaint there is that balls all roll off and filter into the same area where there's a million divots!

I agree.  The thing with 11 is if the pin is front or back left, it's fine and kinda fun to putt.  It's when it's middle and high that it can be unputtable. 

Don't get me wrong, I do love the original 18 at Shepherds, but I also expect to have some good shots get punished.  I believe Lyon Oaks is a far superior Art Hills design.

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

3 hours ago, Moo said:

I agree.  The thing with 11 is if the pin is front or back left, it's fine and kinda fun to putt.  It's when it's middle and high that it can be unputtable. 

Don't get me wrong, I do love the original 18 at Shepherds, but I also expect to have some good shots get punished.  I believe Lyon Oaks is a far superior Art Hills design.

I like Lyon oaks but that's a strong statement... can't remember the one hole at Lyon, you can't see the landing area, have to aim at the pole, or the pole designates the edge of the hazard... never remember what to hit there.

5 minutes ago, larrybud said:

I like Lyon oaks but that's a strong statement... can't remember the one hole at Lyon, you can't see the landing area, have to aim at the pole, or the pole designates the edge of the hazard... never remember what to hit there.

I'm talking just about the design.  Lyon Oaks is a near perfect design.  Good shots get good results.  It's predictable.  The short par 4's (like 14 the hole you mentioned and my favorite hole) do require a precision shot from the blue and the tips, but it's very fair.  Many, many times I've hit good drives at Shepherds and gotten a poor bounce off some crazy hill or whatever.  Shepherds is prettier and maybe more interesting, but the design has some weakness.  The greens are quicker at Shepherds and far, far more difficult to putt when they are running quick.

Edited by Moo

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

My kid has a vball tournament this weekend in Brighton and I wanted to try and sneak in a round at some point.  I have played Sheppards Hollow before and thought that it was awesome.  Is there a really nice course near Brighton that I should consider or just go to Sheppards Hollow?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

9 hours ago, BG5 said:

My kid has a vball tournament this weekend in Brighton and I wanted to try and sneak in a round at some point.  I have played Sheppards Hollow before and thought that it was awesome.  Is there a really nice course near Brighton that I should consider or just go to Sheppards Hollow?

If you've never played Huntmore I highly recommend it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BG5 said:

Book a tee time at Lyon Oaks.  You won’t regret it! Heck of a lot closer to Brighton too.  

https://www.oakgov.com/parks/golf/lyon-oaks/Pages/default.aspx

TM Spider GT-X putter