Prism prescription lenses and golf-- calling all optometrists and ophthalmologist!

I've been waring glasses now for a few years and recently I've been trying lenses with a slight prism. While they help with my headaches, they make hitting the golf ball near impossible. I'm a fairly high level golfer and I've yet to make solid contact while wearing them. I'm now in a position where I wear my glasses to the course and then golf with out them as I have fairly good vision as a baseline. I hate the adjustment period when taking the glasses off and when putting them back on so I'm thinking about getting some prescription sunglasses and re-learning how to hit the golf ball. My question is this: how long will it take me to adjust to the new lenses and what are the chances that I'll never fully adjust with alethic endeavors?

Driver: HiBore XL 8.5 w/x-stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made RBZ 3-wood w/x-stiff
Irons: Henry Griffiths OS-1 w/TS 85
Wedges: Srixon WG-706
Ball: Not sure?!?!?!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waring glasses now for a few years and recently I've been trying lenses with a slight prism. While they help with my headaches, they make hitting the golf ball near impossible. I'm a fairly high level golfer and I've yet to make solid contact while wearing them. I'm now in a position where I wear my glasses to the course and then golf with out them as I have fairly good vision as a baseline. I hate the adjustment period when taking the glasses off and when putting them back on so I'm thinking about getting some prescription sunglasses and re-learning how to hit the golf ball. My question is this: how long will it take me to adjust to the new lenses and what are the chances that I'll never fully adjust with alethic endeavors?

You will probably get a much better response if you look into finding some specific eyecare forums/groups, possibly even some sports medicine forums. I'm sure we have a few on here, but it sounds like you have a very specific situation and either going the "in person" route or specialized group might get more feedback.

I'm an optometrist so I can try to help you out. First of all let me give you some basic optics information as to what the prism in your spectacles is doing for your eyes. We basically prescribe prism to get your eyes to work together as a team to give you better stereoscopic vision / better depth perception. If your eyes do not point at in the same spot or if your eye muscles have to exert a lot of effort to get your eyes to point in the same spot you can experience blurry vision, headaches, fatigue, or double vision.

It takes you so long to adjust after removing your spectacles because your eyes were used to working as a team better with your glasses on.

That being said, the prism in your spectacles was likely measured to be most effective at a certain viewing distance (20ft and beyond or for close work like at your reading or computer distance). It is definitely possible depending on your eyes and exam results that the prism may be effective at all distances. That prism may not be the right amount for the distance between your eyes and the ball at address. Viewing distance is key. Also, to confound things, the prism was probably measured with your face pointing straight ahead, and when you address the ball you may turn your face away from the ball or you may not keep your head still which would throw off the effectiveness of the prism.

All of that being said, I would encourage you to call up your optometrist and ask them if your prism would be good for golf. It is possible you may need a separate set of spectacles for golf due to the different distance demands that golf has compared to your work and driving a vehicle.

Are your spectacles single vision or are they bifocals or no line bifocals (progressive lenses). If you have bifocals or progressives, you likely would not want to golf in those and would need single vision distance spectacles made with your prism.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for that. I have to wear prescription glasses or I can't see the ball at distance. I currently do not need reading glasses, I wear my glasses while golfing, attending sporting events and when driving. I cannot read with them on.

Best prescription sunglasses lenses to try out?

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I'm an optometrist so I can try to help you out. First of all let me give you some basic optics information as to what the prism in your spectacles is doing for your eyes. We basically prescribe prism to get your eyes to work together as a team to give you better stereoscopic vision / better depth perception. If your eyes do not point at in the same spot or if your eye muscles have to exert a lot of effort to get your eyes to point in the same spot you can experience blurry vision, headaches, fatigue, or double vision.

It takes you so long to adjust after removing your spectacles because your eyes were used to working as a team better with your glasses on.

That being said, the prism in your spectacles was likely measured to be most effective at a certain viewing distance (20ft and beyond or for close work like at your reading or computer distance). It is definitely possible depending on your eyes and exam results that the prism may be effective at all distances. That prism may not be the right amount for the distance between your eyes and the ball at address. Viewing distance is key. Also, to confound things, the prism was probably measured with your face pointing straight ahead, and when you address the ball you may turn your face away from the ball or you may not keep your head still which would throw off the effectiveness of the prism.

All of that being said, I would encourage you to call up your optometrist and ask them if your prism would be good for golf. It is possible you may need a separate set of spectacles for golf due to the different distance demands that golf has compared to your work and driving a vehicle.

Are your spectacles single vision or are they bifocals or no line bifocals (progressive lenses). If you have bifocals or progressives, you likely would not want to golf in those and would need single vision distance spectacles made with your prism.

I am also an optometrist and I agree with everything said here. I think the best part is to contact your doctor to work with him/her to ensure you have the proper amount of prism for addressing the ball.

The other component to this could also be magnification. Even lower amounts of lens power can cause the ball to appear to be a different size. This combined with the prism can trick you into thinking the ball is a different distance away, leading to poor contact. You can usually adjust to this with some range time but going glasses on, glasses off all day will make it tougher.

Thank you for that. I have to wear prescription glasses or I can't see the ball at distance. I currently do not need reading glasses, I wear my glasses while golfing, attending sporting events and when driving. I cannot read with them on.

No one?

PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I am also an optometrist and I agree with everything said here. I think the best part is to contact your doctor to work with him/her to ensure you have the proper amount of prism for addressing the ball.

The other component to this could also be magnification. Even lower amounts of lens power can cause the ball to appear to be a different size. This combined with the prism can trick you into thinking the ball is a different distance away, leading to poor contact. You can usually adjust to this with some range time but going glasses on, glasses off all day will make it tougher.

Thank you both for your reply. My current lenses are progressive. I tried to compensate by holding my head in a position where I was looking at the ball with the distance portion of the lens. With that said, I've hit very few balls wearing them. I know that I couldn't hit balls at all when I got my non-prism lenses a few years ago, but I can in my contacts. The contacts don't seem to change my depth perception, not sure why that is. With both pairs of glasses, one prism and one not, the ball appress to be slightly magnified and I hit thin shots. A very surprising result of the prism was the addition of a slice. Something I never hit.

I asked about golf when I was getting fit and he seemed rather vague. He said it would be different and that it would be up to me to make that decision. Kind of a frustrating answer. After getting the glasses I was feeling terrible all the time while wearing them. He rechecked my vision to see if he had made a mistake and made sure the frames were sitting right. Turns out, the frames were sitting way too high. After that adjustment things got much better, except for golf. Again, I asked him about prism and golf and he gave me the same answer. I'm in a position where I don't want to spend another $600+ on Maui Jim's with a prism lens if they aren't going to work out for golf. I'll just wear contacts or golf with my naked eye. Thanks for the help.

I asked about golf when I was getting fit and he seemed rather vague. He said it would be different and that it would be up to me to make that decision. Kind of a frustrating answer. After getting the glasses I was feeling terrible all the time while wearing them. He rechecked my vision to see if he had made a mistake and made sure the frames were sitting right. Turns out, the frames were sitting way too high. After that adjustment things got much better, except for golf. Again, I asked him about prism and golf and he gave me the same answer. I'm in a position where I don't want to spend another $600+ on Maui Jim's with a prism lens if they aren't going to work out for golf. I'll just wear contacts or golf with my naked eye. Thanks for the help.

To answer your magnification question it has to do with where the correcting lens sits in relation to the entrance pupil of the eye. Because the glasses sit further from that point they have a larger effect.

If you can wear your contacts without getting headaches I would wear those with non prescription sunglasses when needed.

• 1 month later...

I have been wearing single vision distance spectacles for a year, in order to be able to see where the ball goes, and have had only one problem (that I am aware of), which affects all my shots, in particular putting and chipping. A straight line appears curved through the spectacles. For example, a straight 10 foot putt I have to hit a couple of inches to the right. If I aim at the hole, I will miss to the left. Has anyone had a similar experience and managed to resolve it? Contact lenses is a solution that works, and I will use them if it is raining and not too windy, but I prefer to wear my spectacles. If this comment should have been posted as a new topic, my apologies.

My current lenses are progressive. I tried to compensate by holding my head in a position where I was looking at the ball with the distance portion of the lens.

do NOT try to play golf with 'normal' progressive lenses - ie progressive lenses designed for general use ( distance, intemediate and reading).

There ARE sports specific progressive lenses - I wear a pair with a Rodenstock lens which is great for golf and cycling ( and note my regular progressive lenses are awful/impossible for golf) - the sports specific ones will have a lot less 'add' so will not be meant for long term reading of books etc, but help out for scorecards and so on... while giving you good distance correction and ball at address view without 'swim' and so on as you make your golf swing.

You could always choose to just have single rather progressive correction for sports if your presbyopia is not too bad...

ps I'd also recommend a transition type of lens, as this will allow you to wear them indoors before the round and/or while driving to the course so your eyes are already acclimated to the lens correction.

Typically a sports frame will have more wrap ( usually a base 8 curve) than normal glasses, so make sure the optician gets the lenses 'digitally' surfaced ( pretty much standard anyway in the Sates now especially for sports prescriptions) - and they should make a mark on the lens (or take special photos for the lens producer) so that your standard level gaze has the pupil centred in the central lens correction area. The lens is then made to compensate for the wrap/curve from that point ( maybe the optometrist can describe it better...).

Trivex is a good lens material - better clarity than polycarbonates, and is impact resistant.

I'd recommend a transition type also as you can then wear them indoors so your eyes are fully setup in the glasses before you go out to play... Transitions do an Xtra version which has a very slight tint indoors (not even noticeable to me when wearing them) but go darker outdoors in hot temperatures than the standard Transition, if you are especially light sensitive.

A GOOD optician will supply your preferred lens in any brand of frame... I'd also recommend Kaenon as their lenses are NXT/Trivex and lovely polarisation also if you want that.

This thread is a perfect example why WRX is by far the best resource for anything related to golf. Got a question? Post it and an expert who also happens to understand golf will chime in.

I have progressive lenses for daily wear and single vision for golf. The thing about progressive lenses is I take them off whenever I read or do anything up close. That means I lose them at least once a day - literally. But that's another topic.

I appreciate the info from you experts. I hope you guys won't mind a PM for advice the next time i need glasses and am confused by the dozens of options.

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 4 years later...

Time to replace my transition glasses I use for everyday wear, including golf.

The ones I use now have the tint failing. When they darken they are forming lines that I notice during outdoor wear. Kinda like streaks. Not good.

I also have a pair of prescription Oakley Gauge 8 with Dark Prizm Golf lenses but I wear my Flexon frames with Transition lenses nearly as often on the course as I do the Oakley’s.

PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*