Ranking British Open courses

Roadking2003

There are ten courses in the modern rota (I think Muirfield will return soon). How would you rank these ten courses?

I have only played five (St Andrews, Turnberry, Royal Troon, Royal Portrush and Carnoustie) and walked one (Royal St George's) during the Open, so I'm not an expert. But here is my ranking.

1. Turnberry

2. Royal Portrush

3. Carnoustie

4. Muirfield

5. St Andrews

6. Royal Birkdale

7. Royal Lytham and St Annes

8. Royal Liverpool

9. Royal Troon

10. Royal St Georges

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Turnberry, Old Course and Lytham.

From my experience, and those who have been lucky enough to play the rest....

Birkdale.

Muirfield.

Troon.

Lytham.

Turnberry.

Sandwich.

Liverpool.

St. Andrews.

Carnoustie.

Portrush.

Having watched a flyover of the modernised Turnberry that might rise. The changes look fantastic.

St. Andrews without any wind is not tough enough any more. Portrush is seriously second fiddle to Royal County Down.

Royal Aberdeen, a composite of Saunton East & West and Hillside could all do the job. Dornoch is too remote and way too short plus no infrastructure. RCD would be my choice to add to the rota.

Played Turnberry, Old Course and Lytham.

From my experience, and those who have been lucky enough to play the rest....

Birkdale.

Muirfield.

Troon.

Lytham.

Turnberry.

Sandwich.

Liverpool.

St. Andrews.

Carnoustie.

Portrush.

Having watched a flyover of the modernised Turnberry that might rise. The changes look fantastic.

St. Andrews without any wind is not tough enough any more. Portrush is seriously second fiddle to Royal County Down.

Royal Aberdeen, a composite of Saunton East & West and Hillside could all do the job. Dornoch is too remote and way too short plus no infrastructure. RCD would be my choice to add to the rota.

Why would you rank Birkdale first? They say it's the fairest test because you have no weird bounces, but to me it seems it lack a bit of personality and signature holes compared to others like Old Course, Muirfiels or Carnoustie... thanks! :)

St Andrews stands alone us the ultimate test of golf based on comments from the likes of Jack and Tiger. I unfortunately will never get to play any.

they still won't let ya travel outta the country?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Why would you rank Birkdale first? They say it's the fairest test because you have no weird bounces, but to me it seems it lack a bit of personality and signature holes compared to others like Old Course, Muirfiels or Carnoustie... thanks! :)

That's why I rank St George's last. Way too many weird bounces. Perfect drives down the middle of the fairway end up careening off into the rough.

Portrush is seriously second fiddle to Royal County Down.

I agree, but Portrush is still a very good course. Here is something that puzzles me. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but they will play the British Open there. It is part of the UK, so maybe we should start calling it the UK Open.

Looking at everything - the course, the history, the drama everything I would base my rankings as follows

St Andrews

Muirfield

Turnberry

Birkdale

Lytham

Carnoustie

Troon

Liverpool

St Georges

I'm leaving Portrush out at the moment simply because I know precious little about the place.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I agree, but Portrush is still a very good course. Here is something that puzzles me. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but they will play the British Open there. It is part of the UK, so maybe we should start calling it the UK Open.

It is "The Open" not "The British Open". I think us Yanks are the only ones that say British Open

It is "The Open" not "The British Open". I think us Yanks are the only ones that say British Open

First, I'm not a "yank".

Second, I don't think you are correct. Yes that's the official name, but "British Open" is used all over the world.

Google "British Open" site:.uk and you will get 218,000 hits. So lots of sites in the UK say "British Open".

Google "British Open" site:.au and you will get 42,000 hits. So lots of sites in Australia say "British Open".

First, I'm not a "yank".

Second, I don't think you are correct. Yes that's the official name, but "British Open" is used all over the world.

Google "British Open" site:.uk and you will get 218,000 hits. So lots of sites in the UK say "British Open".

Google "British Open" site:.au and you will get 42,000 hits. So lots of sites in Australia say "British Open".

The guys in charge of deciding where its held call it the Open Championship.

First, I'm not a "yank".

Technically, you are almost correct. It's not "the Open Championship", and not "The Open" and not "The British Open". It's "The Open Championship".

90% of us including Nick Faldo use the wrong name. But that's getting picky. I believe when I say "British Open" everyone in the world knows what I am referring to.

First, I'm not a "yank".

Technically, you are almost correct. It's not "the Open Championship", and not "The Open" and not "The British Open". It's "The Open Championship".

90% of us including Nick Faldo use the wrong name. But that's getting picky. I believe when I say "British Open" everyone in the world knows what I am referring to.

In other words, its not that puzzling that a tournament not called the British Open is not being held in Britain.

I have played all the Open venues except turnberry

Lytham is the hardest in my opinion , would be a totally different course without the grandstands . Carnoustie is also very tough . Troon is a great golf course with a lot of quality and no frills . The old course is great with its slopes and subtle contouring but is an antiquated course IMO

Birkdale is awesome and top 5 UK IMO

Hoylake is solid, but not spectacular , a fine championship course however

RSG is alittle misunderstood , it's certainly fun to play and pretty bloody tough to be honest

Muirfield is a well maintained field , great test of golf but not my type of links

Royal Aberdeen is an awesome course but not on the rota

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Not sure why RSG doesn't get more love. It's a fun, varied course to play. The worst course I've played on the rota is St Andrews - it's a big flat field. I think however it would get better with a couple of replays, but it just didn't live up to the quality of Carnoustie and Kingbarns nearby.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Not sure why RSG doesn't get more love. It's a fun, varied course to play. The worst course I've played on the rota is St Andrews - it's a big flat field. I think however it would get better with a couple of replays, but it just didn't live up to the quality of Carnoustie and Kingbarns nearby.

I haven't played it, but I did watch The Open Championship (aka the British Open) there several years ago. I saw lots of good drives land in the middle of the fairway, hit a hill and careen into the rough. That increases the "luck" factor even above what you normally get on a links course.

I haven't played it, but I did watch The Open Championship (aka the British Open) there several years ago. I saw lots of good drives land in the middle of the fairway, hit a hill and careen into the rough. That increases the "luck" factor even above what you normally get on a links course.

I can't say I noticed any when I played it, but it wasn't in the middle of summer. I'd be very happy to only ever play there again, and I grew up playing links Golf so I like to think I've got some experience in what makes a good course.

Kingbarns does need to get an Open though - it's a truly epic course.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The only one that I haven't played is Royal Portrush, so I've left that off the list for that reason, some I have played more than once, but this is how I would rank them, and just as a caveat this ranking has nothing to do with how I played that course and scored on the day, as it's so easy to place the Courses you've played best higher in your personal rankings.

Royal Birkdale

Royal St Georges

Carnoustie

Royal Troon

Royal Liverpool

St Andrews

Royal Lytham

Muirfield

Turnberry

My list is based upon the overall experience, not just the Course by the way.

The only one that I haven't played is Royal Portrush, so I've left that off the list for that reason, some I have played more than once, but this is how I would rank them, and just as a caveat this ranking has nothing to do with how I played that course and scored on the day, as it's so easy to place the Courses you've played best higher in your personal rankings.

Royal Birkdale

Royal St Georges

Carnoustie

Royal Troon

Royal Liverpool

St Andrews

Royal Lytham

Muirfield

Turnberry

How about just course rating?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

If you want to get nit picky. For those of you who insist on referring to it as The Open Championship. Make sure you refer to that course located in St. Andrews as The Old Course. Not "St. Andrews".

Personally as someone who has never played any of them The Old Course is #1 just because of the immense history. But I would love to play any of them someday.

There is a high correlation between people that whine and moan about it being The Open and not the British Open and those who refer to the first major of the year as the US Masters

ROFL. this is soooooo true. British homers.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Looking at everything - the course, the history, the drama everything I would base my rankings as follows

St Andrews

Muirfield

Turnberry

Birkdale

Lytham

Carnoustie

Troon

Liverpool

St Georges

I'm leaving Portrush out at the moment simply because I know precious little about the place.

I would go pretty much the same way, although I might drop Turnberry a couple of notches.

I think Turnberry scores well with many people because it looks more modern and sophisticated. It doesn't have as much of the quirkiness and odd bounces.

Royal Birkdale

Royal St Georges

Carnoustie

Royal Troon

Royal Liverpool

St Andrews

Royal Lytham

Muirfield

Turnberry

How about just course rating?

Royal St Georges and Carnoustie may be above Birkdale, but apart from that I wouldn't change much. The thing is that, all of these Courses are superb, and it's very difficult to separate them, hence the reason why in order to do so it's a very easy trap to get into to start ranking them on the basis of other criteria, such as overall experience and sub conscious issues like how you play on the day, and even the weather on the day can, indirectly start to influence these things.

We start picking around with issues like bad bounces etc, but bad bounces can be had on any Links Courses anywhere in the UK, but then again, so can good bounces too. And I certainly didn't notice R.S.G being any different in that respect to any other Course on the Open rota. That's why it is ranked so highly by me. Birkdale won out in the overall experience because it has the best combination of welcome, course condition and overall Course test. Turnberry was ranked so low because it's all a bit corporate for me, the Course has been in terrible condition for an Open Championship Course the 2 times I've played it, and it has too many bland tiresome holes to be ranked any higher for me, and the welcome there is lacking in personality in my opinion. But there ya go, it's all very subjective anyway, of course.

I have played all the Open venues except turnberry

Lytham is the hardest in my opinion , would be a totally different course without the grandstands . Carnoustie is also very tough . Troon is a great golf course with a lot of quality and no frills . The old course is great with its slopes and subtle contouring but is an antiquated course IMO

Birkdale is awesome and top 5 UK IMO

Hoylake is solid, but not spectacular , a fine championship course however

RSG is alittle misunderstood , it's certainly fun to play and pretty bloody tough to be honest

Muirfield is a well maintained field , great test of golf but not my type of links

Royal Aberdeen is an awesome course but not on the rota

Out of curiosity, which of the courses do you think is the funnest, or most enjoyable to play?

Northern Ireland is part of Britain. As is Wales, Scotland, The Falkland Islands, Gibraltar.......No doubt some Bostonian of Irish descent told you Northern Ireland is not part of the UK.