2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2016 U.S. Women's Open

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot my tinfoil hat at home this morning and cannot be arsed to make another in the office kitchen, so...

I wonder if Fox would have made such a hi-def, super-closeup available to the viewers/USGA if it had been Bethany Brittany instead of Anna?

The USGA handled the Asian contenders on their own on the 12th with their selective warning/on the clock usage, but Fox sure did step up and do their job in the playoff to help get the US Open in the hands of an American.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What happened to Chella Choi?

From what I can recall, she was caught on camera violating a rule. They showed her the video, and she didn't accept the idea that she messed up, and accepted a DQ rather than taking the penalty.

She gets a LOT of scrutiny with penalties...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Senior open:

Congrats to Bethany Langer!!! Come on up here Bethany! Oh, wait, sorry...

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

From Anna N. via Instagram (sounds like a delivery service Dustin Johnson used...)

"Thumbs up for a great US OPEN! Proud of myself for the way I played this week. It wasnt ment to happen. Its blowing 35-40mph out there and I had a 5 iron downhill lie in the bunker on 17. It was obviously not my intention to touch the sand but it happened and life will go on. congratulations to Brittany Lang for a great week of golf!! :D :D :D I dont want anyone to feel sorry for me, hey I just finished 2nd in the US Open. There will be plenty more opportunities in my career. Thanks everyone for the support!! :D :D :D"

If the answer is "that's golf" and "that's the way it always has been, and the way it should stay" then my comment would be--don't be surprised then if a segment of the population (not represented on WRX mainly) would say "golf is weird". I would ask the Board if going forward they would be satisfied if that result were to be repeated in the next five televised championships.

This is a great point. Personally, I dislike these sorts of rules in golf. I think intent should play a larger part in determining if you're penalized or not. Or when it can easily be argued that she gained no competitive advantage whatsoever by touching a few grains of sand. I know the purists will disagree, but that's my honest opinion.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'm a little late to this topic, & all the debating aside.....I'm just really happy that Brittany Lang won the tournament. She worked hard for this win & played well all week. So Anna got a penalty, that's golf, and Brittany won fair & square. I'll bet Duke University is sooooo proud of their first golfer to win a major (finally). Way to go Brittany.......Texas gal wins BIG!

From Anna N. via Instagram (sounds like a delivery service Dustin Johnson used...)

"Thumbs up for a great US OPEN! Proud of myself for the way I played this week. It wasnt ment to happen. Its blowing 35-40mph out there and I had a 5 iron downhill lie in the bunker on 17. It was obviously not my intention to touch the sand but it happened and life will go on. congratulations to Brittany Lang for a great week of golf!! :D :D :D I dont want anyone to feel sorry for me, hey I just finished 2nd in the US Open. There will be plenty more opportunities in my career. Thanks everyone for the support!! :D :D :D"

Look up class in the dictionary and this is what you'll see. Anna is now one of my favorites.

Brittamy, or Bethany to some was already a favorite since a brief but nice chat I had

with her at a tournament a few years ago. The LPGA Rocks on.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

Lots of different views and speculation on the Anna incident and from her reaction to being told by the officials of the penalty I too would have thought it would have been more one of utter surprise and disbelief. That in itself suggests she knows how close she comes to violating the rule in that situation regularly and accepted immediately this time she very well could have even grazed the sand.

Going forward I'm personally happy with all the new technology being used in all sport to cover it. Sure in days before we had it to use we can assure many sporting decisions would have been changed but now we also have a huge amount of money the public are gambling on the outcome and also watching so getting correct decisions not only effects the participants but also the public.

I kind of look at this and the use of speed cameras as long as you know that there out there somewhere, and if you break the law, there's always a chance you will get caught and penalized that has to be good. So while it's not possible economically or otherwise to monitor everyone all the time at the moment at least knowing cameras, and ever increasing better ones, are out there your far more likely to find all players will make sure they know the rules and keep to them. I'm sure Anna won't be bringing the club that close in that situation from now on and it sends a clear message to others that what ever the rules are fair or not you must always be concise of them.

This reminded me of earlier in the tournament when I saw Jenny Shin who had a green side chip where she wanted to step back into a bunker to read it, and asked her caddie if he minded whether she went in. I think that was out of assurance to do so would not be a violation of some rule and cause a penalty so perhaps it wasn't as ridiculous as it first seemed.

I think the USGA should have all winners of any USGA championship prior to the advent of super slow motion and electron microscopes, return their trophies and be stricken from the rolls.

There was no way that Anna new she violated the rule, and that microscopic piece of sand that moved obviously gave her a huge advantage on her approach shot.

A ball on the green moves a fraction of a millimeter and a penalty is invoked. Obviously, that movement of the golf ball gives the player a massive advantage when putting.

The USGA needs to invoke a bit of common sense in the rules of golf. They also need to find a president who also drinks less and at least knows the name of the player who won the damn tournament.

I gave up my membership to the Keystone Cops of golf when they initiated the groove rule. Some subsequent rules only reinforce that decision. And these last two controversies...

What a gaggle of self-important idiots.

Brushing a blade of grass? A ball moving a micrometer? A tiny grain of sand? Please. No wonder non-golfers who see these kinds of things on TV make jokes about golf.

If it is the intent of the USGA to drive people away from golf, or not have people take it up to begin with, they are doing an outstanding job. And that goes double for President Dolores Murphy.

Parroting the angst over the DJ ruling doesn't really work here. How does this drive people away from golf? That is golf. That's the rule. Zach Johnson skimmed the water with his back swing when he hit out of some shallows earlier this season. That's the rule. You don't get to be comfortable in a hazard. She is to police herself.

This is nothing like the oakmont ruling. If you don't want to play by the rules when you hack around then don't, but don't tell me the usga should be looking the other way here.

If you don't like what I have to say, that's fine. But to presume I don't follow the rules of golf, or that I am a hack, is rather presumptuous on your part.

I'm way late to the party here...

But agreed with those that say this is not good for the sport. I'm an avid golfer, and stuff like this won't change that, but with a sport that's shrinking this is the last thing we need.

I'm in the camp that this was a BS penalty to assess. It's something we never would have seen even a few years ago (prior to HD broadcasting), and it is very obvious that it didn't give Anna an advantage. There needs to be a little discretion used on behalf of USGA, in my opinion.

Yeah, 18 hole playoff on Monday after you already played 72 is just plain stupid. Sudden death adds drama like OT in the Stanley Cup. At least we don't go to a 5-putt "penalty kick" type challenge to decide!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

The rules of golf are not the problem, it is the penalties of golf. Why is signing an incorrect scorecard disqualification from the tournament and not a two stroke penalty? Why is touching the sand two strokes and not one?

Exactly. A 2 stroke penalty is ridiculous as a rule. But that is beside the point.

I would vote to eliminate any video replay as a penalty. It's not fair to the rest of the field that doesn't have high speed cameras following every stroke made. Absurdity.

Funny thing is that every major sport went through this whole decision process about whether to allow instant replay, where it could be utilized and how it would be implemented. Golf didn't.

Essentially every sport now has a challenge system, wherein it is part of the game to eliminate bad calls and not part of deciding the results with HD footage of grains of sand.

You have seamless systems like in tennis where it is fair and better for everyone. Then you have NFL/NHL challenge systems. Or the NBA which is basically referee's choice but video only allowed in certain circumstances.

But we are talking Golf. Random officiating, people tweeting from home, television affecting results, endless debates featuring this bizarre opprobrium about the sanctity of The Rules.

Seems like it is time for a real addition to The Rules: a few key situations when video can be used, and others where it cannot. Strict time/hole limits on reporting infractions and process for assessing penalties. Get back to deciding tournaments between the ropes.

What an absolute sh1tshow. Unless every competitor's shot is subject to the same level of scrutiny, these hi-def super-slomo, super-closeup, camera shots should NEVER be used to affect the outcome of a golf tournament. And then to compound it by directly impacting the strategy of the competitors with the staggered announcement. Can the USGA contract out the running of their tournaments in the future? Thinking maybe the parent volunteers at the local K-12 school running a sports day can do better. Oh and USGA, can you please send your president to Betty Ford already. Does everyone who blamed the audio system at the men's US Open still think Murphy is just easily disorientated? ;)

+

USGAmateur is the most appropriate name for the way they're conducting themselves...dishonorable conduct in a sport ruled by honor.

And yes, that Pres. needs to give up...2x in succession blowing the name...Get the name right for god's sake...what else does she have to do?...nothing...nada...

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I think the USGA should have all winners of any USGA championship prior to the advent of super slow motion and electron microscopes, return their trophies and be stricken from the rolls.

There was no way that Anna new she violated the rule, and that microscopic piece of sand that moved obviously gave her a huge advantage on her approach shot.

A ball on the green moves a fraction of a millimeter and a penalty is invoked. Obviously, that movement of the golf ball gives the player a massive advantage when putting.

The USGA needs to invoke a bit of common sense in the rules of golf. They also need to find a president who also drinks less and at least knows the name of the player who won the damn tournament.

I gave up my membership to the Keystone Cops of golf when they initiated the groove rule. Some subsequent rules only reinforce that decision. And these last two controversies...

What a gaggle of self-important idiots.

Brushing a blade of grass? A ball moving a micrometer? A tiny grain of sand? Please. No wonder non-golfers who see these kinds of things on TV make jokes about golf.

If it is the intent of the USGA to drive people away from golf, or not have people take it up to begin with, they are doing an outstanding job. And that goes double for President Dolores Murphy.

Parroting the angst over the DJ ruling doesn't really work here. How does this drive people away from golf? That is golf. That's the rule. Zach Johnson skimmed the water with his back swing when he hit out of some shallows earlier this season. That's the rule. You don't get to be comfortable in a hazard. She is to police herself.

This is nothing like the oakmont ruling. If you don't want to play by the rules when you hack around then don't, but don't tell me the usga should be looking the other way here.

If you don't like what I have to say, that's fine. But to presume I don't follow the rules of golf, or that I am a hack, is rather presumptuous on your part.

Was speaking more of the universal "you" not you specifically. my point was simply that the usgas strict compliance doesn't force weekend warriors to be as strict should they so choose

What an absolute sh1tshow. Unless every competitor's shot is subject to the same level of scrutiny, these hi-def super-slomo, super-closeup, camera shots should NEVER be used to affect the outcome of a golf tournament. And then to compound it by directly impacting the strategy of the competitors with the staggered announcement. Can the USGA contract out the running of their tournaments in the future? Thinking maybe the parent volunteers at the local K-12 school running a sports day can do better. Oh and USGA, can you please send your president to Betty Ford already. Does everyone who blamed the audio system at the men's US Open still think Murphy is just easily disorientated? ;)

+

USGAmateur is the most appropriate name for the way they're conducting themselves...dishonorable conduct in a sport ruled by honor.

And yes, that Pres. needs to give up...2x in succession blowing the name...Get the name right for god's sake...what else does she have to do?...nothing...nada...

You'd think this was strike two for her but chances are she slipped and slurred her way through the presentations for the Latin America Amateur, women's and men's four ball championships, and the Curtis Cup (or every USGA-run championship this year).

Were getting a lot of criticism here of using the HD camera technology to decide an infringement of the rules. My question is I wonder if all the same ones would be calling foul for not using it if an on course official had called it and then the HD camera conclusively proved that she did not touch the sand and Anna lost only due to the technology not being used. Yes it's possible to work both ways. I say if the technology is there use it as long as the correct decision is made. Now sorting out when is the appropriate time to advise the players of a ruling now that's another matter altogether.

Unless you are going to magnify every shot taken using the same HD lens, unless you tell the competitors at the same time before shots are hit that a penalty has been assessed, then it is inherently not fair.

I don't care about logistics; I'm not saying you actually strive for what I just mentioned, I'm just telling you players have advantages over others when it's supposed to be an even playing field in that regard.

What happened yesterday was a joke. I don't care much for Chamblee's theatrics and hyperbole, but this and the DJ incident he has been 100 percent spot on.

You halt play and you tell both players at the same time that a penalty has been assessed. It isn't impossible, in fact you simply call both players over after their second shots and you announce to both at the same time.

USGA is run by total retards and they once again ruin a fine tournament. They will never see a cent of mine.

I'm surprised that so many are in favor of "getting rid" of using camera footage for rulings. High speed, close-up HD camera shots are part of the world we live in today. It's not feasible to have that coverage for every shot in every group, but it is also not feasible to ignore what the camera sees. Do we really want to hear a winner explain why they deserve the trophy when the camera shows they violated a rule?? That camera shot is not going to disappear. It will be part of the story regardless.

Our world today has cameras everywhere. Those cameras capture and reveal situations that we otherwise wouldn't be aware of. But we do have the responsibility to take full consideration on everything that we do become aware of when it happens. That applies to golf as well as all the other political situations that cameras capture.

For the most part the game is designed to be self policing. If a player is shown by video to have violated a rule and gets away with it he will be hung by the court of public opinion and surely will never not call something on himself again. Video should not be used. It will lead to constantly replays of the recent us open cluster fornication episodes. Without video neither of those exist.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Golf is a game of honor and rules officials should simply be there to clarify use of those rules. It's up to the player to call the infraction and to assess his/her own penalty. If the player breaks the rule it should be called only by the "umpires" on the field to the best of their ability at the time/hole of the infraction. Later...too bad.

We accept, or are forced to accept, most referees errors in other sports, but continuous/mounting number of errors would surely undermine their reputation and possibly their career, and may likewise do so among golfers. When technology is used to discover/uncover an infraction it takes the honor and responsibility out of the hands of the player, the soul of the game that makes it different from any other

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm surprised that so many are in favor of "getting rid" of using camera footage for rulings. High speed, close-up HD camera shots are part of the world we live in today. It's not feasible to have that coverage for every shot in every group, but it is also not feasible to ignore what the camera sees. Do we really want to hear a winner explain why they deserve the trophy when the camera shows they violated a rule?? That camera shot is not going to disappear. It will be part of the story regardless.

Our world today has cameras everywhere. Those cameras capture and reveal situations that we otherwise wouldn't be aware of. But we do have the responsibility to take full consideration on everything that we do become aware of when it happens. That applies to golf as well as all the other political situations that cameras capture.

For the most part the game is designed to be self policing. If a player is shown by video to have violated a rule and gets away with it he will be hung by the court of public opinion and surely will never not call something on himself again. Video should not be used. It will lead to constantly replays of the recent us open cluster fornication episodes. Without video neither of those exist.

I just don't understand that line of thought. You say without video no problems exist. Suppose there is a rule to not use video (even though recorded by Fox) and Anna Nordqvist went on to win. Do you think Fox will mothball that video? Of course not. That video does exist and it will be shown. In all likelihood it be shown during the playoff and if not, it will certainly be shown at the end of play. Videos showing rules violations are not going away no matter how much some want them to. Not only would wins be tarnished and rules ignored, true champions will be deprived of the victories they honestly achieved.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]