The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to be one of the "protect par" supporters. But I realized that it's a losing battle and chasing it will only take away from what should be a great contest by the best in the world.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

More dominant than Tiger in the 2000 US Open?

Come on now, let's not get too senile :to_become_senile:

Tiger is GOAT, and he was in a league of his own in '00. Literally.

:superman:

Stenson had company.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

I wonder will people still be incorrectly calling it the 'British' in 2019 when it is not held in Great Britain.

Yes, otherwise how would we determine if it's the Open played in Europe or the Open played in the US? No disrespect intended--- because the R&A knows how to set up and run a great tournament, whereas the USGA is more like the Clown Show Open.

I wonder will people still be incorrectly calling it the 'British' in 2019 when it is not held in Great Britain.

Yes, otherwise how would we determine if it's the Open played in Europe or the Open played in the US? No disrespect intended--- because the R&A knows how to set up and run a great tournament, whereas the USGA is more like the Clown Show Open.

How quickly people forget last year...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/7/18/old-course-news-pushing-green-speeds-to-the-brink.html

Seriously, both the R&A and USGA are perfectly capable of making a mess of things.

I like how Phil said in the press tent that he prefers the R&A over the USGA, because they prefer to make the course fair, as opposed to the USGA working so hard to protect par. He certainly doesn't back away from speaking his mind.

He is absolutely correct. I know some don't like the R&A, but to me they make the USGA look like a clown show

Taylormade SLDR Driver
Sonartec ss 03 3 wood
Sonartec ss 07 5 wood
Srixon z545 4 Iron
Srixon z745 5-P
Vokey 48 degree
Cleveland CG 15 54 degree
Callaway Jaws 60 degree
Odyssey 7 Tank

How many drivers did Henrik hit today? Miller said it was more than normal? He has needed to use driver more so his great iron game can get him closer to the hole. But in this Golf Digest article, I can see why he likes the 3 wood:

"In 2001, I was in a period where I had no idea where the ball was going off the tee. My misses could be shockingly bad, 70 yards off line in some cases, usually to the right. Even the practice ranges weren't wide enough. There are fears in golf most amateurs are familiar with. The fear of being embarrassed by missing a short putt. The fear that comes with hanging on to a 1-up lead with two holes to play. But the fear I felt at tournaments was something very different. I was terrified of taking someone's head off with a drive. Standing on the tee, I'd see the tunnel of people just in front of the tee box, craning their necks forward to watch, oblivious to the very real danger they were in. The image of hitting someone would enter my mind and not go away. Coming back from that dark place mentally has probably been my best accomplishment."

This was also a goodie from the same interview where Henrik recounts the story of a Euro Tour caddie who had to take a dump badly, was running to catch a train, fell, and lost his load. He went to a store at the station and bought a track suit. Once on the moving train, the caddie threw away the nasty clothes out the window, but to his horror found that he only was given the top of the track suit. He had to use the top of the track suit as pants for the entire train trip. Pretty good story and Henrik is a good interview.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/my-shot-henrik-stenson

I like how Phil said in the press tent that he prefers the R&A over the USGA, because they prefer to make the course fair, as opposed to the USGA working so hard to protect par. He certainly doesn't back away from speaking his mind.

He is absolutely correct. I know some don't like the R&A, but to me they make the USGA look like a clown show

Also said he's biased because he hasn't won a US Open.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The USGA deserves most of the credit.

Stenson had company.

Trying to be funny I see but far from it. Henrik was as or more dominant for THIS particular tournament. Don't worry, Tiger still has a chance at 19 majors.

Stenson had company.

Henrik was or more dominant for THIS particular tournament.

That part where Henry won by 15 strokes and was the only player under par is what sealed the deal for me.

Stenson had company.

Trying to be funny I see but far from it. Henrik was as or more dominant for THIS particular tournament. Don't worry, Tiger still has a chance at 19 majors.

Glad you saw that I meant no offence (your earlier post was quite hilarious)

As I said earlier, it was an awesome show of guts and golf by Stenson, and he was a worthy winner for sure

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

What a fantastic duel we saw today! One of the memorable final rounds in major championship history.

As much as I was pulling for Phil, Henrik just flat out took the trophy with an incredible display. Big congrats to the Swedish ball-striking machine who also finally delivered with the short game and putter.

I couldn't be more proud of the great Phil Mickelson. He fought like a true champion and entertained everyone with his usual flair. Henrik simply outplayed him.

This week's performance gives Phil phans everywhere great confidence that he will continue to be a significant force in golf for a few more years. The 46 year old legend is now 5th (!) on this year's PGA TOUR money list.

What great images to imprint in my mind! Isn't that why we love to watch the game we play?....to have in mind a vision of how it's done. Virtually every shot on every hole an example of how to plan and execute a perfect round, not to mention all those great bunker shots we got to see. An amateur's dream day to dream again and again!

I'm going there in September to play the links and have been purposely going out to play here in Florida in the windiest conditions, "playing the wind", choking down on my 3 wood to keep the ball flight below the tree line, flopping shots over bunkers, and taking my 52° wedge into them, knocking about all sorts of odd/different shots out to the green, putting from 40' over and around undulations on the practice green, imagining the games to come this Fall....and these past two weeks, (as will next week's Seniors' Open), have imprinted many amazing shots to remember when I get there. The only thing missing here are revetted bunkers....some things I guess must be left to surprise me, and wow, will they.

WoW!

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

Henrik Stenson is a stone cold killer. How has he not won more Majors?

He's definitely a stone cold killer, but he's also had a stone cold putter.

This. He has been one of the best, if not the best player tee-green the last 5 years. His ballstriking is just unreal. He hits it long, straight and his iron play is crazy solid. When he putts good or just average he is competing every time.

Lead the pga tour in GIR in 2013 and 2015. #8 in 2014 and #2 in 2016 so far. No one hits the ball better than he does.

He has won the fedex cup and race to dubai(european tour fedex cup), 11 european tour victories, 5 pga tour victories(Tour championship, Deutche Bank, PLAYERS, WGC Match play and The Open). Winning The open pretty much made him a lock for hall of fame. Only thing he was missing for having a complete career. First Swede and Scandinavian to win a major aswell.

Btw i was reading up on previous Open Championships as Troon and learned that you had to be among the best ballstrikers to compete. FW hits was specially important to compete at Troon the last 2 times. So i guessed Stenson was gonna win at -12 before the tournament started. Was off on the score but who would have thought anyone would get to -20... Unreal. First time in a long time ive guessed the right winner in a major.

What a fantastic duel we saw today! One of the memorable final rounds in major championship history.

As much as I was pulling for Phil, Henrik just flat out took the trophy with an incredible display. Big congrats to the Swedish ball-striking machine who also finally delivered with the short game and putter.

I couldn't be more proud of the great Phil Mickelson. He fought like a true champion and entertained everyone with his usual flair. Henrik simply outplayed him.

This week's performance gives Phil phans everywhere great confidence that he will continue to be a significant force in golf for a few more years. The 46 year old legend is now 5th (!) on this year's PGA TOUR money list.

Phil had an unreal tournament. He played great and was actually pretty unlucky at the greens aswell. Had some crazy lip outs. As a scandinavian i was pulling big time for Stenson. Not only because im scandinavian but also because that was the only thing Stenson was missing for having a complete career. Phil has won The Open before and as much as he deserved it, Stenson needed it badly, and wanted it more than anyone else this week. If it was Us Open i would be sad for Phil because thats the only major he is missing but because he has won The Open before, i was extremely happy Stenson won. Phil should be extremely proud of what he did this week. -20 on Troon is an unreal winning score! Beeing 3 behind that is still 4 shots better than the previous best score on Troon and 11 shots better than #3 this week.