The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

Best golf battle I ve ever seen. Just epic. A display of technique / class / courage / nerves / greatness on Sunday at a Major from both players in contention . Chapeau

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this is a stupid question however having been away from the game I have not really seen the most recent clubs as going into my pro shop or GG is kind of depressing so I've staid away. That being said, I saw a pic of Henrik's irons and it said Cally Legacy.

Are those Euro/Japan releases or are they available here and are they a pocket CB, similar to the Mizzy 53/54's, and if so, are they that through the bag or do they transition to a CB/blade as ya move to the short end of the bag?

Thanks much :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard

The were released years ago and are all cavities. Never released here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcallaway+legacy+irons.TRS0&_nkw=callaway+legacy+black+irons&_sacat=0

Hitting cavity backs? He's a hacker take away his title now.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

finally got to watch it all ....man simply unbeleivable ... i doubt we ever see anything like that again.... several putts and a chip that Phil had lip out would have made that a playoff at the end... potentially stenson could have shot 62 ( having made the putt at 17) and phil 63 having made two of the lipouts or dead in the hole putts he had... 62 63 pairing in the final round of teh open ???? thats otherworldly .. Glad stenson got his 1st ... glad Phil played so well ... and was so classy in defeat...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Apologies if this is a stupid question however having been away from the game I have not really seen the most recent clubs as going into my pro shop or GG is kind of depressing so I've staid away. That being said, I saw a pic of Henrik's irons and it said Cally Legacy.

Are those Euro/Japan releases or are they available here and are they a pocket CB, similar to the Mizzy 53/54's, and if so, are they that through the bag or do they transition to a CB/blade as ya move to the short end of the bag?

Thanks much :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard

Richard...they are a endo forged CB released in Japan and later in europe i believe... his model are the 2011 model... they have several from 2009 to present i think... I have a set and they are a really soft forging that have very little to no offset and by todays standards a medium to thin topline... alot like a MP64 at address... I see why hes stuck on them...they offer a touch more bounce and a nice preworn leading edge grind ... the way he comes into the ball im certain the grind and bounce are the reason he started with these... they enter and exit the turf very quickly... he can hit way down and not have it grab and pull the iron fatter into the turf.... hope that makes sense

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

finally got to watch it all ....man simply unbeleivable ... i doubt we ever see anything like that again.... several putts and a chip that Phil had lip out would have made that a playoff at the end... potentially stenson could have shot 62 ( having made the putt at 17) and phil 63 having made two of the lipouts or dead in the hole putts he had... 62 63 pairing in the final round of teh open ???? thats otherworldly .. Glad stenson got his 1st ... glad Phil played so well ... and was so classy in defeat...

Oh man, glad you finally got to watch the whole thing through. I've been hesitant to say it, because every round always could've been a few shots better, but BOTH their rounds could've EASILY been a few shots better. Two three putts for Stenson and two massive lipouts for Phil. Just crazy. It ended up 63-65, but yeah, that was VERY close to being 62-63. Just insanely good golf by the final pair in a major. Unreal.

Or if Phil's last putt on Thursday went in.

Speaking of which, does anyone realize that the record of 63 in a Major was a hair from being broken by Phil on Thursday,,,,,,,,, and THAT should-a-been record was within 2 3-putts of being broken less than 72 hours later ?!?!?!

it will always be a hair to break 63 lol.

Nick Price lipped out

Tiger Woods lipped out

Mickelson too.

It's the gods

This is akin to the 4 minute mile, lol

There is a Roger Bannister out there right now in joggers and Rickie hat that's visualizing that very round as he sweats his a** off hitting balls

And who knows, it may be one of the Guys out there now. Obviously there are at least two that knocked on the door

It's coming.....

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The fact that he scored so prodigiously for the rest of the round after that first, early three-putt tells me a lot about Stenson. He is not the kind of golfer who ever "tries not to three-putt" but just keeps on making everything he can.

Most of us discussing it here and for that matter a lot of Tour pro would shift into some sort of defensive putting mindset after that first slap in the face three-jack. The great ones just shrug it off and play that much better in response.

That's why I hate ridiculous "instructional" articles that bang on about "three putt avoidance". That word "avoidance" implies an active effort not to do something. Tiger Woods wasn't a great putter because he set out of avoid three-putting. He didn't have many three-putts because he was a great putter. I can't believe so-called instructors want to put that thought in a player's mind, that you ought to be out there trying not to screw up on the greens. It's laughably poor advice.

Mickelson shot, Stenson shot, commercial. Wash, rinse, repeat. Infinitely worse than ABC/ESPN.

I realize this duel is mesmerizing, but there are other golfers out there playing for a lot. The race for 4th specifically.

I hope FOX has a chance to get the Open. This is pathetic.

There was too much epic play going on between those two. There was no reason to show anybody's shot except them finishing their round. There were only two people to watch and because of what was happening with them we needed to see everything they did. It was amazing theater and it was handled properly. No other players mattered.

The fact that he scored so prodigiously for the rest of the round after that first, early three-putt tells me a lot about Stenson. He is not the kind of golfer who ever "tries not to three-putt" but just keeps on making everything he can.

Most of us discussing it here and for that matter a lot of Tour pro would shift into some sort of defensive putting mindset after that first slap in the face three-jack. The great ones just shrug it off and play that much better in response.

That's why I hate ridiculous "instructional" articles that bang on about "three putt avoidance". That word "avoidance" implies an active effort not to do something. Tiger Woods wasn't a great putter because he set out of avoid three-putting. He didn't have many three-putts because he was a great putter. I can't believe so-called instructors want to put that thought in a player's mind, that you ought to be out there trying not to screw up on the greens. It's laughably poor advice.

i have changed the way i practice putting. I do drills for must make putts (irrespective of distance), defensive putting, and short ones. The must make putting drill is what i recommend. it means you keep your speed up and you always practice to putt past the hole but within a foot of the hole. The pros by and large putt to make, but sometimes green speed and unfamiliarity with a course means you gotta be defensive and avoid 3 or more putts.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

No one has mentioned Stenson's reaction right after his swing on the par-3 seventeenth.

He looked serious and satisfied and then looked away--kind of like when you pump a driver right down the middle--no need to see where it ends up. Except this was a 220 yard par three approach shot that was tracking right at the stick! Who looks away in that situation?! Pretty badass...

Nicklaus on the 16th hole in the 86 Masters. Believe as he hit his iron, his son/caddie said something like "be good" and Jack simply said, "it is."

Watching that on Sunday, I thought Stenson didn't feel as though he made good contact. Maybe the proverbial "good miss?"

Oh I never even thought of that. Can a "good miss" really get you to seven feet from 221 yards?!

With cavity back irons ? Sure !!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name=North Butte'

timestamp='1468941564' post='13943148]

GREAT Thought!!

Should be pinned at the top of the instructional thread. I couldn't agree more and it is in the same bucket as "There's water left" or "trees right" so by all means don't go left or right, lol.

Where's the average mid/high cap go???

Nice post Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The Beef is on radio!!!! For you UK people he's on talksport.....he's really really funny! Great to listen to so natural and happy!

He's what golf should be, to the core.

Relaxed, loves the fans and enjoys his game.

Everybody needs some 'BEEEEEEEEEEF' in their lives.

He reminds me of Billy Connelly......Just a great bloke!

The Beef is on radio!!!! For you UK people he's on talksport.....he's really really funny! Great to listen to so natural and happy!

He picked up $224,000. That'll buy some beef.

No Sir,

That will buy a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF FACTORY! With the name plate of 'SIR BEEFALOT'.

Tell you what I'm most looking forward to.....BEEF at Augusta next spring. Holy crap that's going to be AMAZING!

Well, there's still that little matter of earning an invite...something he hasn't done yet.

True, but I have a good feeling about him being in the top 50 OWGR by the time next spring rolls around. I want those patrons yelling BEEEEEEEFFFF!

$224,000.......

What? I need to get me some lessons!

I'm sure i could be on Tour!

$224,000.......

What? I need to get me some lessons!

I'm sure i could be on Tour!

Bend how's the facial hair looking these days? You need to have a hook...and a cool nickname. Maybe we can start a thread to pick a new nickname for you.

'Bend how's the facial hair looking these days? You need to have a hook...and a cool nickname. Maybe we can start a thread to pick a new nickname for you.'

Yes, that would be epic. And one i would very much enjoy. A hook and nickname for an aspiring Tour Player.

Facial hair is a paltry 3 days long and the hair on my head is about 2mm long. BUT, the hair on my back more than makes up for it.

I'm not sure i'd want a beard as part of the 'look' - i've seen too many crumbs in beards.