*Caution* Rant: Snobby young golfers

Tired of em!
Okay, I hope I don't step on any toes here...but, i'm gonna do a little ranting!

Played in a 2-man scramble last week...just a fun, 22-team scramble at a small course. It was two days. One of the days I had a great time. Paired up with two other teams...they didn't do so swell (shot 6 and 10 over). We didn't do so hot either (1 under), but we had a good time giving each other hard times!

Another day I was paired up with 2 more groups, one group was a group I know...good guys, decent golfers, real funny. The other group was 2 high school boys...and you could tell they were serious about their golf. Had the plaid shorts, polo shirts, matchin belt/shoes, visors (mind you, this is the most redneck/casual golf course in this area), and of course they had their collars on their polos flipped up for added visual effect.

Their first day, they shot 1 under as well. Just enough to get them into the top of the 2nd flight with us. The next day (when we played with them), they shot 5 under...on the front NINE (we only got to play 12 holes b/c of lightning...so they just used the front 9 for scores, can we say sandbag?). Yeah they would up winning our flight (with the next two groups closest to them shooting even on the front nine)...getting around $200 a piece (which is in violation of UIL rules b/c they are on their HS golf team), but thats not what bothered me the most.

Whats up with these kids that play with the $1300 Nike blades, Scotty Cameron putters, fancy range finders, etc etc etc and act like golf owes them something? One kid was a good kid, the other...made the day not fun. He'd hit a SLIGHT push..."GOD **** IT!! MOTHER *************" On and on. Throwing clubs 20 feet...slamming his club into the ground. After EVERY shot that wasn't perfect. If it rolled off the back, you could expect "What the **** was that?! ****ing piece of ****". If it, god forbid, missed the green entirely....better close up your ears and watch for flying clubs. One time, he flubbed a chip and proceeded to chunk his PW AT the green...it landed about 4 feet from the fringe...and yeah b/c it was raining put a big hole in the fringe.

But come to think of it, I saw ALOT of these kinds of kids when I played in high school at area tournaments. LOTS of kids getting SOOOO mad. Like they are just supposed to be freakin excellent. I just wish they would realize what an idiot it makes them look like, and how much they ruin a nice day of golf for everyone around them.

Okay, sorry...rant over!

(Also, i'll add that I myself am a young golfer, 24, but even when I was 15-16 I knew the difference in being respectful and courterous to the course and the rest of the players in my group. So don't take it in that I think all young golfers are snobby just b/c they have nice clubs...this is aimed at the young golfers (and OLD golfers as well!) that take the game so seriously they disrespect themselves and all around them)
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree........they just don't get it yet.....................not to mention if you where to tell there golf coach or the super of the course I think his attitude might change.............imagine being 16 17 and being suspended or being on the black list for a place his friends tee it up all the time...there is no place for a thrown club..................most private places will either suspend a member.....if it is guest member will be told that their buddy can't come back.............I think that is how you wake them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, I didn't get my edit in quickly enough. After I read my post I could see where some might get the wrong idea.

I have NOOOO problem with a 16 year old kid playin with clubs that cost more than some peoples first car! As long as they are respectful to the course and everyone around them.

I probably should've left the clubs they were playing out of it...I was being a little stereotypical. I was just saying it seems to follow those guys. I rarely see a kid with a set of wal-marts getting that mad about golf. I just always saw it with the kids that had all the fanciest equipment in the world.

And to further my point that this isn't against people with nice sets (heck I think I have a nice set of clubs)...the other kid had a brand new set of Callaway X20's with a new TM burner driver. He was even the better golfer...and was HUNDREDS times more pleasant than the other kid. So, its not the equipment...its the character i'm complaining about!

Also, my comment about how golf owes them...I meant that they act like they were meant to shoot even par every day. I'll be the first to admit, I get a little too mad sometimes about my game. But never to the point where I publically act like a spoiled idiot. I meant that, he couldn't accept that he wasn't going to hit every shot perfect. He couldn't just say, "Hmm...that sucker didn't break at all did it?" It was more like "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT? ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?" accented by his throwing the grip of his putter onto the green.

"Whats up with these kids that play with the $1300 Nike blades, Scotty Cameron putters, fancy range finders, etc etc etc and act like golf owes them something"

what do you mean by this are you saying u have a problem with the clubs they play? and what do you mean acted like golf owes them something?

you're reading too far into it.

he's upset with the attitude and general lack of etiquette that was shown.

i understand where you're coming from though. personally, i think anyone who gets that blown in a two man scramble is certifiably retarded. scrambles are meant to be fun, they allow you to get away with not hitting the best shots all the time.

i think it is in any and everyone's best interest for something to be said. you don't have to scream, piss, or moan -- but be firm and tell him he could've left the cry-baby-bullsht act in the crib before he left.

Some kids give us a bad name... not all of us are like that.

Thought it was something you should realize.

Lol...again, I'm just 24 years old. I'm still considered a "young" golfer...but not a young "snobby" golfer. Thats what this post was intended. I've lived through the stereotypes at my local CC when i was a teenager. We always had this old man come and give us a hard time everyday just b/c we were young and he thought we were probably tearing up the course. I understand that you might get a little frustrated in that I would categorize every "young" golfer...BUT I was merely pointing at the SNOBBY ones.

I have MANY friends that are young golfers (again, like myself here...) that are a pleasure to play with. But everybody probably knows somebody they'd rather not play a round with b/c of their attitude.

"Whats up with these kids that play with the $1300 Nike blades, Scotty Cameron putters, fancy range finders, etc etc etc and act like golf owes them something"

what do you mean by this are you saying u have a problem with the clubs they play? and what do you mean acted like golf owes them something?

you're reading too far into it.

he's upset with the attitude and general lack of etiquette that was shown.

i understand where you're coming from though. personally, i think anyone who gets that blown in a two man scramble is certifiably retarded. scrambles are meant to be fun, they allow you to get away with not hitting the best shots all the time.

i think it is in any and everyone's best interest for something to be said. you don't have to scream, piss, or moan -- but be firm and tell him he could've left the cry-baby-bullsht act in the crib before he left.

Absolutely! Thanks for the understanding. Yeah, a couple of guys in our group told him to "Calm down. Take it easy." and when he threw the putter at the green, my partner said "Hey, watch it." and told me that if he pulled a stunt like that again he'd really let him have it.

Just a small hint, instead of labeling this thread "snobby young golfers" you could've created a more mature title along the lines of poor etiquette in....

Just a thought

Buddy Buddy. the title didnt say "all young golfers are snobby". Calm down. His title fits the story he told. Im quite sure he knows that the few ruin it for the many. If i wrote a title saying "snobby rich people" that would not imply that all rich people are snobby

I my self see this alot too. I am 21 and am an assistant pro at a golf course. People that go out and buy the best stuff arent always the best golfers. some (not all) think that since they spent the money that they deserve to play better than others. Most people need to realize that a good golfer can still play good with a cheap set of clubs. Spend that money on lessons and maybe a few anger management classes. Again if this story and my message bothers you then more likely than not you are the golfer that we are talking about it. Think if talking about people that act like idiots when the play bad makes you mad, then i can only wonder how poorly you act when you yourself plays poorly

Taylormade Original One Mini 9.5° - DG x100
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z765 5 iron S300
Wilson Staff FG62 6-PW - S300 Hard Stepped
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 
Ping Dalehead - Odyssey Protype 3  - Toulon Atlanta
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

It's not just young kids. I played yesterday with a father and son, just getting out for fathers day. Dad was probably 55-60 and son was 35-40. I asked them what tee box they were playing but the person I play with and I were going to play from the backs. I needed to test the long game.

On the first tee, I quickly realized they should not be playing the tees, and just mentioned that they don't have to play back just because we were. But they insisted. Slow play is the death of me, and these guys had so etiqutte nor game. The son being worse. Every shot was stand over the ball take 10-15 practice swings before finally swinging with usually poor results. Which when he did came the slamming of clubs, MF this and AH that. No throwing of clubs, but a few times I thought the clubhead would fly off he hit the ground so hard.

Needless to say, my friend and I who usually deal with whatever pretty much could not stand it anymore, played ready golf to the green even if we were 200 yards ahead. When we got to the green, we'd wait. hell even the marshal on one of the holes heard it from a hole away. He didn't say much, just told him to relax and enjoy himself.

The father wasn't nearly as bad, but a few F bombs and slammed clubs but more sedate.

It's not a young thing but it does throw one off ones game when your playing group acts like that.

I quit playing golf for about 5 years because I saw myself heading in this direction. I was getting to the point when I wanted each round to be better than the last, and I got far too angry. I didn't throw clubs or swear really loud, but I did get upset quite a bit, and was definitely known to just walk off the golf course. This being said, however, it was simply a fact of me becoming TOO competitive. I was a multi-sport athlete, and I let my competitiveness from my other sports creep into my golf game. You can vent your anger fairly easily in most team sports, but Golf is a whole different hettle of fish. You can't get away with the same stuff.

The time I took away from the game was the best thing I could have done. Now I have fun. Sure, it sucks when I hit a crappy shot, but I can just laugh it off now. My lowest round this year is 85. If that had happened back in my highschool days, I probably would have started throwing clubs by now :P

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero // Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 2H // Callaway X Forged UT 21* // Callaway X Forged 2018 4-PW //
Callaway Mack Daddy Black 52* 56* 60* // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I agree with you assessment. Kids that think the world owes them something because they're spoiled half to death really have it coming to them. They should go visit some third world countries, and realize how good they have it here. Just being able to play golf without having to get a job is luxury enough. My parents are butt loaded too, but they taught me morals, manners, and etiquette. Having proper etiquette is the essence of this sport, IMO.

I think the better golfers are the ones that don't talk too much, and have nothing to prove. I've ran into a couple ringers that looked nothing like they're sponsored by J Lindberg, but both times, these guys shot sub-par scores from the tips. Of course, they were in their late 20's. Which brings me to question if it might have something to do with how the kids are being raised these days.

Just a small hint, instead of labeling this thread "snobby young golfers" you could've created a more mature title along the lines of poor etiquette in....

Just a thought

Ha, well thats a good point. But I don't think I was stooping to an immature level when I labeled the post snobby young golfers. But perhaps a different title would've been better.

It's not just young kids. It's not a young thing but it does throw one off ones game when your playing group acts like that.

Definitely agree. I said in one post that its not just aimed the young ones. But in my MANY years of golf *cough*...I see it more with the younger ones. The ones that are still in a competitive mode that they must win everything.

I've experienced this with a guy I used to play with (couldn't take it anymore), only he's in his early 40's. But it is that same immature behavior. I think it's attention seeking behavior. As if to say to everyone around, "I AM SO GOOD THAT EVEN SLIGHTLY OFFLINE SHOTS ARE TOTALLY BENEATH ME". But I'm convinced that these types, however good they may strike the ball, are nothing special as golfers, and sadly, as people.

That sounds pretty accurate. It was like he was such an awesome player, that barely missing the green was such an awful shot.

I personally think that "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella should be required reading for all golfers. It focuses so much on how the mindset described throughout this thread is counter-productive.

I am also a 24 year old, but I refer to myself as a "young professional" because that is what I am and how I try to act most of the time. A good quote I heard this weekend was "Watch the show, don't BE the show"

yeah, just dont try to generalize this to all kids please! it may only be a few kids out there like that, most kids that i know play golf for the love of the game and understand that bad shots happen, i see alot of my buddies and i (still in hs) we do have the nice equipment and take care of it, but we all also understand respect/ responsibility. There will always be odd ball dumbasses out there, i just ask that you dont generalize this to all kids, im really starting to not like the glares i get on the range, i have to just hit all my shots near perfect so i get an ounce of respect from others, mind you my immediate respect for elders

oh well, dont know where im going with this, better quit

Ya'll know what? I was just like that kid for a while. I was 21 or 22 (25 now), about 2 years into my golfing "career". (cept I didnt have any game 'atall). Tossin clubs, swearing. Well I still swear a lot, but I know when to watch my mouth and when I can get away with it, but that is besides the point.

Had a big golf trip, playing some awesome course like Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore, etc. Big money. A couple big bets with the buds. All of us played like total horseshit. And all of us were club-slammin', all of that kind of stuff. And I realized how dumb it was. So I stopped. And I havent really had a tantrum since. Sure I get PO'd out there, but big deal. Im golfin!

Now, I have one buddy, plays twice a week, thinks he should shoot 72's, still acts like a baby, destructive to the course. Makes me very very angry to the point I dont want to play with him sometimes.

I guess the point is... Golf. Its crazy hard. Dont be a jackass.

I am 21 years old and was a very good junior golfer not too long ago. College and work sidelined the golf game, and after being on both the super competitive side as well as the casual side I have a few ideas. First, people that do not know the rules of the game, as well as the proper conduct, suck. But to go a little deeper, I think one of the problems is the way the game is being played now compared to years ago, and even the way it is played on the Euro Tour.

For example, watch Tiger in any major. Every single shot is life or death for this guy. He also throws a few clubs when he hits some bad shots, and although he is the best player ever and has every reason to throw them, kids see that and copy it. I played with so many kids that had PERFECTION drilled into their heads that when they had any type of miss they went crazy. No, I am not blaming Tiger for the way kids act, I just think that kids see how the #1 acts, and they think they too should be winning majors and hitting it perfect even though they have 1/1000 the mental strength of Tiger.

Honestly, the most fun I've ever had on a golf course has been when I go out with my good buddies and play for a few drinks. On the course we are super competitive, but we know in the end its all in good fun and when its over we go have a coke/beer/whatever and just bs. I had no reason to start throwing clubs because win or lose it was a good time with my friends. I have heard thats how the guys on the Euro tour are, and the end of the day they all go out to dinner/clubs and are great friends off the course (obviously they throw clubs too, but from what I hear they are a lot more laid back than the US guys).

The PGA guys are out there making a living, so they have a reason to get upset. For the masses, I think we'd all end up better playing for the fun of the game and sure go ahead and try to swing like Tiger and beat everybody, but in the end just enjoy the game.

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

Just being able to play golf without having to get a job is luxury enough.

This is a long one everybody, but please read it all.

I'm not picking on you here, just trying to make a point to everyone.

For me and many kids, this is actually the other way around, we need jobs to play golf. I got a job at a course so that money I made isn't spent entirely on greens fees, otherwise, I wouldn't be playing the 100 plus rounds I do a year.

However, I do see what your saying here, and my golf coruse job has shown me this. There are many snobby kids like the ones first described in this post that I see on the course on a daily basis. They have all the expensive clubs, the latest and greatest, and they always think they are on top and better than everyone else. Bad mentality that I'm glad I don't have.

HOWEVER again, I see way more good kids than bad walk onto the first tee everyday. Kids that have a wide variety of equipment, good golfers, and bad golfers. Whatever the case may be, they are out there for fun and to improve, and more often than not, they never get in anybody's way or slow up play. I'd say for every bad kid, theres at least 10 who aren't. However, bad news is good news, so we always hear stories similar to this one being told on a daily basis, instead of the stories about the fine young man or woman we played with today who really was a good person. If we heard both types of stories everytime we see them happen, again the good would outnumber the bad, and slowly this stereotype would pass away.

But, I guess its a right of passage as a young golfer to have to deal with it. Whenever I'm out on the course or working, I have honestly have two goals that I always work to keep:

1) get the job done, whether it's playing or washing carts, and #2) leave people with a good impression of me as a person, and the age group I represent.

EDIT for inserting: Whenever I ranger, I see many older people who are hammered out of their minds, and can barely hit a golf ball. I also see people of all ages who don't want to replace divots, repair ball marks, or give a rats rear about how slow they are playing. Heck, I won't lie, but our course is having a major problem with people not repairing their ball marks, and for the amount that are on every green, and the amount of young people who play, there isn't any way you can say it was all one age group. Sort of a stretch, but that's as bad a problem as any thats never associated with mostly adults, nor is the getting plastered out of their minds part.

I may easily have a $1300 bag, but I bought most of it or earned it, and I never felt golf owed me anything for it by lashing out when things don't go as planned. Plus, why would I throw my expensive equipment around and risk damage anyway? :D

All I can say is that guys who are old Word not allowedh0le$ were 15-16 once and probably were that way then... just skinny.

Im not saying all skinny 15-16 yr olds are like that just that in 20-30 yrs they will just be fatter (most likely) and probably act the same as they did when they were younger. Most guys are pretty nice so then they just get fatter and stay nice. But then there are those few...with matching belts!

Actually i have a problem with it tho- The kids with the 1300 dollar iron with everything else. They have no concept of what those clubs/gear represent. The biggest problem is get a kid that does not have daddy's or mommy's money and then watch him throw and break a club and that shaft plus club cost for labor is like 2 days work at like 6 bucks an hour. I have very nice gear , my bag is worth 3,500 -4,000 in clubs. I would never throw a club because a shaft for my irons are 55 dollars a piece. When it is mommy and daddy's money they will throw at will also break at will. I am 20- I have thrown one club and when i realized what i did it was stupid- I toss wedges to my bag outta bunkers and stuff like that but nothing in a aggression manor. I wish more young people had a respect for the game and also respect for the other players. My rant is over!

The other thing i have learned is Golf owes me nothing- I owe golf a lot more than i can name. I too have earned/payed for everything in my bag.

I fully agree with everything that was said. I play with a guy who is always f*** this and f*** that and whenever he hits a shot that is good he talks crap to everyone he plays with. One time i got sick of it and after shooting a 9 on a hole he eagled the next par five. When he came over to me i punched him in the face for talking crap and walked off the course. I just get so tired of stupid people like that. I am tired of these bi-polar people who freak out over everything!!!

I fully agree with everything that was said. I play with a guy who is always f*** this and f*** that and whenever he hits a shot that is good he talks crap to everyone he plays with. One time i got sick of it and after shooting a 9 on a hole he eagled the next par five. When he came over to me i punched him in the face for talking crap and walked off the course. I just get so tired of stupid people like that. I am tired of these bi-polar people who freak out over everything!!!

haha, end of thread right there :D

This reminds me of a story I read in Golf Digest, I think, last summer. Butch Harmon was a promising junior, and at a tournament hosted by a club where the pro was a friend of Butch's dad, Claude, Butch threw a tantrum and broke the shaft in his driver.

The pro didn't hesitate to call Claude and relate his son's classless behavior. Now, Claude was a tough guy, head pro at Winged Foot, and winner of the 1948 Masters by five strokes. He did not suffer fools. Claude was waiting when Butch got home, and although he feigned ignorance of the event, Butch knew that Claude was wise. After some cat and mouse, Butch confessed.

Claude put down his paper, got up out of his Barcalounger, and stared his young son right in eyes. "You know, "Claude said, "I don't understand why you get so mad. You've never been any good. You've never won anything. Now, Arnold Palmer, I can understand why he gets mad. He's real good. He works real hard to be good. But you're just little Butch Harmon, what have you got to get mad about?"

haha, end of thread right there :D

Love me some chappelle............PEEYAAWWWW

Taylormade Original One Mini 9.5° - DG x100
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z765 5 iron S300
Wilson Staff FG62 6-PW - S300 Hard Stepped
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 
Ping Dalehead - Odyssey Protype 3  - Toulon Atlanta
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

There are definitely alot of juniors that act like that. Im 18 and have been playing for about a year and was friends with several kids that were on my school's golf team and they kind of showed me the ropes at the begining and helped me get started. One of these players was a terrible sport though. He was the best golfer on the team but played with the worst attitude. He had to get a steel shaft in his driver because after even a slight fairway miss, he would throw his driver. He smacked his expensive putter into the ground when he read the break wrong, denting it. He sold a wedge he had mid round after it 'betrayed him'. He would often yell and scream and I finally decided I just didn't want to play with him. Even though he was the best player on the team, he ended up getting kicked off and it probably ruined his chances for playing golf for UofA now too.