Zika.. A great scapegoat?

ShooterMcGavin311

So I keep seeing more people drop from Olympic consideration and I am starting to believe that there may be some underlying reasons why so many are dropping:

1. Compensation (Lack thereof)

2. PED Testing

3. Safety

4. Timing

Does anyone else think that ZIka is a convenient excuse for the top players to avoid flak for not participating? Not naming names but a certain someone from Colombia dropped out and now Colombia will not have a team. Does the strict anti-doping policy have anything to do with this? Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

I would add a potentially less popular 5th option: Corporate Political Bias. I think that the IOC is a morally reprehensible shill company mainly concerned with lining its own pockets and those of the people and organizations that enable them. As well, they operate with a distinct lack of care for the impoverished citizens whose lives they either displace or destroy, very similar to FIFA and Dr. Evil himself - Sepp Blatter. I would like to think that at least one player who has opted out of the Olympics is making a stand, for this reason. This is just my opinion, and what is has to do with "tour talk," I couldn't say.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I keep seeing more people drop from Olympic consideration and I am starting to believe that there may be some underlying reasons why so many are dropping:

1. Compensation (Lack thereof)

2. PED Testing

3. Safety

4. Timing

Does anyone else think that ZIka is a convenient excuse for the top players to avoid flak for not participating? Not naming names but a certain someone from Colombia dropped out and now Colombia will not have a team. Does the strict anti-doping policy have anything to do with this? Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

I don't think it is PEDS. Most of the guys dropping out have been under the Olympic level drug testing since May 5th or 6th. IF they were on something, they would have dropped out before the Olympic level testing starting (unless they are the dumbest people on earth).

I'd understand and respect if they just came out and said, "I am not interested in going because I really don't care about the Olympics, and these other things are just the icing on the cake." I'm pretty sure at least one or two have that thought in their head.

Couple of them have said essentially that. Adam Scott for instance.

Since no one else seems to want to go, I'll step up and go for team USA! I just need the Olympic committee to give me my 9 strokes, plus another 10 since the course will be much tougher than the conditions I am used to playing.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

I think it's due to legit concerns about the safety of the location.

A lot of guys are just as concerned with the security in Brazil as the virus. A lot of them simply don't want their families going down there and i don't blame them.

They also already have an opportunity to play for their country with the Ryder/Prez cup.

Free? I'm sure some of the sponsors would disagree. Would you rather say that your player won the John Deere or claim the Gold medal for the next four years.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

Why does everything have to be 1 solitary cause or reason? It's faulty thinking from the start

Zika doesn't have to be the ONLY reason for it to be valid or invalid.

It's one of a few reasons guys are pulling out for sure

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80

Cobra F9 tour 13 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Titleist TS3 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80

Cobra Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus Tour 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 w/ Modus Tour 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Why not just make golfers qualify just like the other sports? Those interested can go, then would be less likely to drop out. I'd rather see Phil compete but theres too many ranked Americans ahead of him. Yet, he didn't even get the option to drop out. Every other sport has trials to gain entry, golf spots are basically given away based on career and country performance.

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

I don't think golf should have ever been added to the Olympics but they have the those fortunate to represent their country should really attend. Now having said that I don't exactly blame anyone for backing out with the fears of Zika, crime/ violence, polluted water, unfinished venues, etc in Rio - the government has completely messed up the event and will end up being the laughing stock of the world for this mess. But there is also the lost revenue that these golfers will miss out on in the coming months and as was brought up in the '99 Ryder Cup they don't do anything without getting paid. I also think there is a twinge of PED possibilities there as well. Golf is no different than any other sport where a little 'something-something' will make you better and nobody wants to get caught. Overall I think it's a disgrace that many of the top golfers refuse to represent their countries and I would very clearly send a message and remove golf from Olympic consideration in the future as a result. Glad to see that the women golfers are still going though and taking the opportunity to represent their country(s). The whole Olympic event this time around is turning into a real mess.

Question. Has any competitor from any other sport dropped out of the Olympics because of the zika virus. Point - no one outside of us half wits is interested in golf. A genuine opportunity to increase interest and participation has been lost. Golfers are narrow minded and self interested.

As of June 30th, players not attending Rio:

Golf: 5 of the top 14

Basketball: 6 of the top 7

Tennis: 6 of the top 24

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-golfs-rio-dropout-rate-compare-to-other-popular-olympic-sports

I think Zika is a legitimate concern. We don't fully know the effects of it. But the most important issues are that many pros just don't care about an Olympic medal and it interferes with their prep for majors and WGC events. There is also a sponsor issue. Players don't want to wear official team outfits from another sponsor.

Majors are done after this month, silly season is all that's left.

The Olympics now IS a silly season event.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
Callaway Epic 15 (+1), HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
Callaway Apex 19 hybrid, PX Catalyst 70 6.0
Srixon 585/785 4-PW, NS Pro 980 S
Cleveland 50/54/58, NS Pro 980 S
Edel E-2

I think Zika is a legitimate concern. We don't fully know the effects of it. But the most important issues are that many pros just don't care about an Olympic medal and it interferes with their prep for majors and WGC events. There is also a sponsor issue. Players don't want to wear official team outfits from another sponsor.

Majors are done after this month, silly season is all that's left.

And the FedEx Cup Playoffs.

SiM2 Max 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
SiM  5° Fujikura Atmos TS 7
790UDI  PX Catalyst 80  //  818H2  19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Fear is one of the reasons, rational or irrational. It is mid Winter & mosquito's are not so much a thing at that time of year. More Athletes are Mugged in the US than Rio. I don't know who started this fear band wagon, but I am amazed at how many people succumb to it. It is like Y2K hysteria all over again.

I am not Brazilian, but I have been to Sao Paulo & Rio many times over the years and there are many places in the US that make me worry more. Be prudent, be rational and enjoy the games.

Pair the risk with the fact that the players will just be coming off the final 2 majors and will be entering the FedEx Cup playoffs (which is multiple weeks of tournaments in a row) and the Ryder Cup. All of those things are more important to these guys in their careers than the Olympics. The Olympics perfectly falls in the middle of the last good opportunity for these players to get rest.

I bet you every one of the guys who have dropped out would give up a Gold medal to win a major, win the tour championship or win the Ryder Cup. The Olympic competition is a solid 7th on the level of importance in the sport. And for the lesser known players whom haven't PGA events, or only have a win or two, I bet you they would take a win at a regular tour stop over an Olympic medal to get that pay check and secure their card for the future. This is the same reason why golf should not be an Olympic sport.

Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

DJ, Rory, Jordan and Jason. Jason and DJ the longest. HMMMmm. Don't worry, the enhanced testing has nothing to do with their WD.

The USGA is a total joke. They penalize a player for a ball moving but don't test players to find out who is a total cheat.

Well at least we know Bubba, Ricki, Patrick and Kuch are not afraid to get tested.

DJ, Rory, Jordan and Jason. Jason and DJ the longest. HMMMmm. Don't worry, the enhanced testing has nothing to do with their WD.

The USGA is a total joke. They penalize a player for a ball moving but don't test players to find out who is a total cheat.

Well at least we know Bubba, Ricki, Patrick and Kuch are not afraid to get tested.

They have all been tested bud, the Olympic testing started on may 5 (or 6) of this year for anyone who was qualified at that time (and they all were). They dropped out 2 months after testing started.

I think Zika is a comfortable excuse. There are probably a host of reasons outside of that, compensation etc. However it makes me laugh when PEDs are discounted. Golf is not any different to any other sport in the respect its flooded with PEDs. No, it wont somehow make you able to swing a club, but they can make you stronger, fitter and have better recovery times. The testing process is frankly laughable, as Rory said he might get tested a maximum of 4 times a season. Its a little like football (soccer) where people dont think there is a problem with it as players arent getting caught left right and centre, yet the testing is so lax they are unlikely to be asked for a sample when 'hot'. In the UK a player will be lucky if they are tested as much as twice a season, so there is no problem, but cycling is filthy because they get tested 60 times a season and surprise surprise loads get caught. Start testing golfers and footballers the same amount and they would catch loads.

I think Zika is a comfortable excuse. There are probably a host of reasons outside of that, compensation etc. However it makes me laugh when PEDs are discounted. Golf is not any different to any other sport in the respect its flooded with PEDs. No, it wont somehow make you able to swing a club, but they can make you stronger, fitter and have better recovery times. The testing process is frankly laughable, as Rory said he might get tested a maximum of 4 times a season. Its a little like football (soccer) where people dont think there is a problem with it as players arent getting caught left right and centre, yet the testing is so lax they are unlikely to be asked for a sample when 'hot'. In the UK a player will be lucky if they are tested as much as twice a season, so there is no problem, but cycling is filthy because they get tested 60 times a season and surprise surprise loads get caught. Start testing golfers and footballers the same amount and they would catch loads.

Remember when Scott Stallings ratted himself out because he was taking a banned substance and still passed all of the PGA tests? Shows how rigorous the tests are. Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes and who actually tests "positive" for PED's but I do know the last thing the PGA tour wants is a bad image from players getting busted.

Remember when Scott Stallings ratted himself out because he was taking a banned substance and still passed all of the PGA tests? Shows how rigorous the tests are. Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes and who actually tests "positive" for PED's but I do know the last thing the PGA tour wants is a bad image from players getting busted.

Thats the point. Many, many people, myself included, know what goes on behind the scenes, and how much PEDs are involved. Because the testing process is garbage, and because its not an athletic sport, people dont believe it is an issue or takes place.

They have all been tested bud, the Olympic testing started on may 5 (or 6) of this year for anyone who was qualified at that time (and they all were). They dropped out 2 months after testing started.

that directly conflicts with what golf channel has reported today. that golfers were to start Olympic testing this week.

Legitimate excuse.

I can't think of any other sports in the olympics where the participants are going to spend quite so long constantly outdoors (perhaps tennis, but that's more established in the games). Couple that with the fact that the course has been built on ground with questionable history and hygiene, and I think you have a breeding ground for mosquitoes, those carrying Zika and those that don't.

I have a feeling that history will prove the golfers to be correct in their assessment to skip Rio.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Question. Has any competitor from any other sport dropped out of the Olympics because of the zika virus. Point - no one outside of us half wits is interested in golf. A genuine opportunity to increase interest and participation has been lost. Golfers are narrow minded and self interested.

Yes, they have. Basketball players, for example.

Why not just make golfers qualify just like the other sports? Those interested can go, then would be less likely to drop out. I'd rather see Phil compete but theres too many ranked Americans ahead of him. Yet, he didn't even get the option to drop out. Every other sport has trials to gain entry, golf spots are basically given away based on career and country performance.

Good idea.

Drug testing is a joke and should be totally eliminated.