2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf in Orlando

zach0723

Would rather play southern dunes two times over than paying 155 for cypress and 300 for ritz. They’re just not that good. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

34 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

Would rather play southern dunes two times over than paying 155 for cypress and 300 for ritz. They’re just not that good. 

I definitely would play SD twice rather than the Ritz, but the Links Course (f/k/a the New Course) at Grand Cypress is worth a play if they've not played it before. It's currently $135. In the morning.

Maybe I was harsh! Cypress is fine. Just not 155 fine. But being a resident of central Florida for what 30 years now i am just not used to these rates. It’s way cheaper to play at a private club now a days. This is really absurd. Grand cypress used to be 40/50 to play. And about 70 during peak season. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

2 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

Maybe I was harsh! Cypress is fine. Just not 155 fine. But being a resident of central Florida for what 30 years now i am just not used to these rates. It’s way cheaper to play at a private club now a days. This is really absurd. Grand cypress used to be 40/50 to play. And about 70 during peak season. 

Tourists from up north are willing to pay high fees to play almost any course in warm winter weather. I get it, even if I also don't like it. Green fees are way up everywhere. The tourists must have been very disappointed the last few weeks as it's been so so cold and dreary down here more than normal

Edited by sabram

21 hours ago, LPSISCO said:

My February meeting that was scheduled for this week didn’t get cancelled, but it was moved to early March. I’m now going to play only 2 rounds, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. Booked Southern Dunes already for Thursday, will try for Championsgate CC for Friday morning, but it looks like I can only book 2 weeks out, unless I’m missing something on their website. 

I can stay at the Omni Thursday night for about $300 or so, but can stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress or the JW Marriott or the Ritz for free (well, points, but that’s kinda free 😀). So the question - which is better, the Grand Cypress course or the Ritz course? I’m thinking I may not be able to get on Championsgate CC Friday morning so I can pick the hotel based on which has the best course. I’m sure each hotel itself is fine. Thanks!

Edit - I just checked online, can book either GC or the Ritz for the Friday round. GC - $155, Ritz is $345. That changes the calculus quite a bit…I’ve payed over $300 before but it’s for an experience course, like Kiawah. Not a basic resort course.

The Ritz is the best course in Orlando, but not worth the price tag, if that makes sense. 

I don’t think the ritz-orlando will ever be a 300 dollar course for me when streamsong is an hour-ish away. Along with Waldorf, ritz-orlando is up there as most over rated course in orlando imho, especially with what they are asking for. 

but value is in the sight of the beholder. They’re both very well condition and you get the vip vibes if you’re into that. 

• Like 4

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Visiting next month, these are the courses we're playing any reports on conditions or anything else to expect? We had been going to Lake Jovita previously but couldn't book that this year due to pandemic related stuff. Thanks

Grand Cypress Golf Club - Links Course

Champions Gate Golf Club - National Course

Shingle Creek Golf Club

Falcon's Fire Golf Club

14 hours ago, jdl said:

Visiting next month, these are the courses we're playing any reports on conditions or anything else to expect? We had been going to Lake Jovita previously but couldn't book that this year due to pandemic related stuff. Thanks

Grand Cypress Golf Club - Links Course

Champions Gate Golf Club - National Course

Shingle Creek Golf Club

Falcon's Fire Golf Club

To me, Falcons Fire is the weakest of this group.  Maybe because I played it a lot in the past and got tired of it.  It is not worth the price they are charging for it, in my opinion.   

As many in this forum have called out, Southern Dunes is much better, or I would look into Orange County National.

If you are locked into those courses, then maybe someone else has some recent experience with the conditions at Falcons Fire, but I am not going to play there until they drop it back to around $50 per round.

• Thanks 1

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

On 2/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, Eric49er said:

To me, Falcons Fire is the weakest of this group.  Maybe because I played it a lot in the past and got tired of it.  It is not worth the price they are charging for it, in my opinion.   

As many in this forum have called out, Southern Dunes is much better, or I would look into Orange County National.

If you are locked into those courses, then maybe someone else has some recent experience with the conditions at Falcons Fire, but I am not going to play there until they drop it back to around $50 per round.

I'm part of a group going, didn't make the arrangements and doubt the courses will change. Just looking for any opinions. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, jerebear21 said:

I don’t think the ritz-orlando will ever be a 300 dollar course for me when streamsong is an hour-ish away. Along with Waldorf, ritz-orlando is up there as most over rated course in orlando imho, especially with what they are asking for. 

but value is in the sight of the beholder. They’re both very well condition and you get the vip vibes if you’re into that. 

I think Waldorf is a much harder test of golf. Feels well longer, tighter, more water, elevated greens, deeper bunkers, etc etc. Ritz is more friendly and tones down the challenge so it can cater to wealthy clientele. Personally, if they were the same price, I'd play Waldorf over Ritz. Just wish it had a better range situation.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

There are a lot of back and forth on Ritz and Astoria on this thread. Will be in orlando in April and have a chance to play 1 round. Will be staying at a disney property and will not have a rental car and will be taking lyft or uber to the course. Any suggestions between Ritz/Astoria and am I missing any other must play courses near Disney?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, scolombo49 said:

Hi all,

There are a lot of back and forth on Ritz and Astoria on this thread. Will be in orlando in April and have a chance to play 1 round. Will be staying at a disney property and will not have a rental car and will be taking lyft or uber to the course. Any suggestions between Ritz/Astoria and am I missing any other must play courses near Disney?

Thanks!

If you are staying at Disney, Waldorf Astoria is way more convenient. It is located within Disney World and you may even be able to get on site WDW transportation. Ritz Grand Lake will be about 20-25 minutes longer to get to. Grand Cypress is located very close to Disney. The Links course there is good. You also have the four Disney courses (if you include Tranquillo)

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, sabram said:

If you are staying at Disney, Waldorf Astoria is way more convenient. It is located within Disney World and you may even be able to get on site WDW transportation. Ritz Grand Lake will be about 20-25 minutes longer to get to. Grand Cypress is located very close to Disney. The Links course there is good. You also have the four Disney courses (if you include Tranquillo)

If you have access to Tranquilo, Waldorf Astoria or Grand Cypress, don't bother with Palm/Magnolia/LBV, unless you get a deal.  I would say for ease of access, go with Waldorf as stated above.  The Disney courses are nice courses, but the others are a notch above, and Disney is usually going to charge a premium to play on their courses - but they will rent you everything (for a fee once again) if you cannot bring your own clubs

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

On 3/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, sabram said:

What kind of condition is the Links course in at the moment? I have a tee time for next Saturday at Magnolia and the Florida Resident Rate is cheaper than Links. I've never played the Links course and if it's only $40 more I feel like it might be worth it, but with all the construction I don't want to be dissappointed because I know what to expect from WDW.

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

25 minutes ago, omoub001 said:

What kind of condition is the Links course in at the moment? I have a tee time for next Saturday at Magnolia and the Florida Resident Rate is cheaper than Links. I've never played the Links course and if it's only $40 more I feel like it might be worth it, but with all the construction I don't want to be dissappointed because I know what to expect from WDW.

There is construction around the Grand Cypress courses and the clubhouse, but the course itself is fine. If amenities are important to you then you might be disappointed, but if it's the 18 golf holes that you are focused on then I'd play the Links

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a little input on an late September trip... The plan was is: 3 days with 1 round at each reunion courses, 3 days with 1 round at each of the Streamsong courses, and ending with a round at Bay Hill.  My questions are:

1) How are course conditions around late September?

2) Cheaper/better accommodations are available outside of reunion (but would then prevent reunion play)... Are there three other courses that would be better than the reunion courses (around the same area)??

Any comments/input would be great!

7 hours ago, juicearse said:

Looking for a little input on an late September trip... The plan was is: 3 days with 1 round at each reunion courses, 3 days with 1 round at each of the Streamsong courses, and ending with a round at Bay Hill.  My questions are:

1) How are course conditions around late September?

2) Cheaper/better accommodations are available outside of reunion (but would then prevent reunion play)... Are there three other courses that would be better than the reunion courses (around the same area)??

Any comments/input would be great!

See response in the separate thread you started

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, sabram said:

There is construction around the Grand Cypress courses and the clubhouse, but the course itself is fine. If amenities are important to you then you might be disappointed, but if it's the 18 golf holes that you are focused on then I'd play the Links

So grand cypress over any Disney courses? Trying to get out Tuesday this week and need to get out early and they both have early tee times available. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

On 3/9/2022 at 3:09 PM, omoub001 said:

Which course did you play and how was it? 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

On 3/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, LeftyMatt24 said:

Which course did you play and how was it? 

Man I played Magnolia and I was dissapointed. Couldn't get a feel of the greens the entire day because they weren't cut. Too many spots near the hole has these clumps of grass that would kick the ball off line. Just not a good day for me.

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

I'm not a fan of the Disney courses.  Not terrible designs, but everything that comes with it is a nuisance.

I like the links course (aka new course) at Grand Cypress.  You'll get people that will complain that it's not a 'true links course', but it's rather enjoyable and I would be willing to bet it's in really great shape.  

And usually the pace of play there is good because it's difficult to lose a ball there unless you know it went into the water.

RH

2 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I'm not a fan of the Disney courses.  Not terrible designs, but everything that comes with it is a nuisance.

I like the links course (aka new course) at Grand Cypress.  You'll get people that will complain that it's not a 'true links course', but it's rather enjoyable and I would be willing to bet it's in really great shape.  

And usually the pace of play there is good because it's difficult to lose a ball there unless you know it went into the water.

RH

I think WDW gets a bad rap on here to be honest. My foursome finished our round in about 4:15 after a 8:20 starting time. Not the 5 Hour+ shitshow that most people are worried about.

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

2 hours ago, Kyle M said:

Going to get one round in Orlando in about a week. Grand Cypress Links, Southern Dunes, Ritz?  What’s the consensus best course?  I know ritz is significantly more money. 

For me it's (1) Southern Dunes, (2) Grand Cypress Links, and (3) Ritz.

Here are links to photo tours of all three (Click on photo to open):

Southern Dunes Golf Course (FL) 2021

Southern Dunes

Grand Cypress - Links Course (f/k/a the New Course)

Grand Cypress Links (f/k/a the New)

Ritz Carlton Golf Club at Grande Lakes

Ritz Carlton @Grand Lakes

6 hours ago, Kyle M said:

Going to get one round in Orlando in about a week. Grand Cypress Links, Southern Dunes, Ritz?  What’s the consensus best course?  I know ritz is significantly more money. 

Southern Dunes.

RH

I just looked at public course prices for the first time in years and hooooooly moly how did they get so expensive. Do the courses look nicer, now, or something? Shingle Creek $100, Disney $100, Eagle Creek $100, every thing is like $100! 

I had no idea.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS