Golf in Orlando

zach0723

I'm relocating to Orlando and will be living in the Winter Park/Maitland area. It seems like most of the discussion in this thread is regarding courses south of Orlando. Are any of the courses in the northern suburbs worth playing regularly?

There are of course places to play, but I wouldnt recommend them.

The places were talking about arent South OF Orlando, theyre IN South Orlando, Southwest to be exact. Only about 20-25 mins drive from Winter Park.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

red tail for public. interlachen for private. both are pure. and just as good as any of the golf courses in the tourist area.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Good luck getting on Interlachen. I'm pretty sure you have to be invited to be a member there.

Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes is excellent. They have a deal where you're a member at there and Heathrow which is down the street.

Legacy Club is a Fazio design and a good one.

The only issue is that they don't offer single memberships. It's all family memberships deal. Initiation is $12,500.

I've heard good things about the Winter Park GC re-design. It's only 9 holes and I think it's only about 2,500 yards. It's a municipality, but it was re-designed by the guys that assisted with the Streamsong designs.

RH

I played interlachen once before I was good at golf, got invited by a friend and had no idea it was a hard course to get on. Let along a hard course to play.

Think I shot like 165.

Funny.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Good luck getting on Interlachen. I'm pretty sure you have to be invited to be a member there.

Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes is excellent. They have a deal where you're a member at there and Heathrow which is down the street.

Legacy Club is a Fazio design and a good one.

The only issue is that they don't offer single memberships. It's all family memberships deal. Initiation is $12,500.

I've heard good things about the Winter Park GC re-design. It's only 9 holes and I think it's only about 2,500 yards. It's a municipality, but it was re-designed by the guys that assisted with the Streamsong designs.

RH

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can see myself playing an after-work 9 at the Winter Park course regularly. I'm currently a member at my local country club, but with all of the options for quality courses in Central Florida I don't know if it makes a lot of economic sense there. I look forward to getting out to all the mentioned courses (and having more than 6 months a year to golf)!

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread...

I'm headed to Orlando for our yearly buddies trip in November. I used TeetimesUSA and scheduled the following rounds.

Day 1 (Friday) : Southern Dunes, 12:30 tee time. Only playing 18 the first day. Haven't played this course before but due to the stellar reviews of others on this site I decided to take the leap and book it.

Day 2 (Saturday): Grand Cypress New Course, 7:30 tee time. The plan is to play the New Course in the morning and shoot for a replay on two of the other nines in the afternoon. We have played this course the past 2 years and everyone loves it. One of my favorites we have played in the past 4 years we have been doing this trip.

Day 3 (Sunday): Waldorf, 7:30 tee time. 18 in the morning than jump in the car to head home. This one is a toss up for me. I'm torn on changing this to the Ritz but I am not certain yet.

I was a little disappointed that a few of my first choices for Day 3 were not available during the time we are there...but that's life. My initial choices were Bella Collina, El Campeon, and Tranquillo.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

Glad I found this threat...

I'm headed to Orlando for our yearly buddies trip in November. I used TeetimesUSA and scheduled the following rounds.

Day 1 (Friday) : Southern Dunes, 12:30 tee time. Only playing 18 the first day. Haven't played this course before but due to the stellar reviews of others on this site I decided to take the leap and book it.

Day 2 (Saturday): Grand Cypress New Course, 7:30 tee time. The plan is to play the New Course in the morning and shoot for a replay on two of the other nines in the afternoon. We have played this course the past 2 years and everyone loves it. One of my favorites we have played in the past 4 years we have been doing this trip.

Day 3 (Sunday): Waldorf, 7:30 tee time. 18 in the morning than jump in the car to head home. This one is a toss up for me. I'm torn on changing this to the Ritz but I am not certain yet.

I was a little disappointed that a few of my first choices for Day 3 were not available during the time we are there...but that's life. My initial choices were Bella Collina, El Campeon, and Tranquillo.

Tranquillo has gone private. Only ways of playing are being a member or being a guest at the Four Season Resort. Thankfully got to play it before it went private.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

honestly ritz and waldorf are equally boring. As good as it gets for conditions but that's a waste of my day playing there. Over priced and just boring.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

southern dunes is the best of the bunch.

personally I prefer in the orlando area for public: red tail, southern dunes, bella collina,

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

playing country club of orlando today. haven't been back since the pre-renovation. Will update how it is.

What a treat this 1911 Donald ross is in the middle of orlando yet felt secluded from the world. Customer service was top notch.

It plays fairly short at 6600 but greens were humongous and had a championship feel to it. Lots of swales. Tilts. Squared off greens. Multiple tiers. Lots of variety and playability.

If you're into old school donald ross, I don't think there's one in orlando that can compete with CCO. My only complaint was it was too busy. I'm very used to 2.5 hours rounds at Lake Nona or interlachen. It's a great routing and plenty of walkers. Too crowded.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

playing country club of orlando today. haven't been back since the pre-renovation. Will update how it is.

What a treat this 1911 Donald ross is in the middle of orlando yet felt secluded from the world. Customer service was top notch.

It plays fairly short at 6600 but greens were humongous and had a championship feel to it. Lots of swales. Tilts. Squared off greens. Multiple tiers. Lots of variety and playability.

If you're into old school donald ross, I don't think there's one in orlando that can compete with CCO. My only complaint was it was too busy. I'm very used to 2.5 hours rounds at Lake Nona or interlachen. It's a great routing and plenty of walkers. Too crowded.

I keep meaning to hit my buddy up whos dad lives there and has a membership. Will need to do this before Fall is in full effect.

good old school golden architecture set up. Routing is superb. I'd bring a push cart next time instead of taking a cart. It's a very easy walk with great customer service.

The greens were lively, wild and tons of fun.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Here are some photos to get you psyched to play

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631966721322 Southern Dunes pix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631961514461 Grand Cypress New Pix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631973358175/with/8171960148/ Waldorf Pix

30889891733_a894fb4aea_c.jpg

Southern Dunes #3 par 3

8169024221_3b7c1f84e0_c.jpg

Southern Dunes #7

30858203234_a01393eb31_c.jpg

Southern Dunes #14 par 3

8167206491_bab822ee7b_c.jpg

Grand Cypress New #2 approach

8167233690_9353322426_c.jpg

Grand Cypress New #9 pitch to green

8167200847_3b54678c90_c.jpg

Grand Cypress New #15 par 5

8171974638_d376586136_c.jpg

Waldorf Astoria #4 par 5 -chain of bunkers starting 130 yards out

8171960148_82212e69b4_c.jpgWaldorf Astoria #15 from tee a

8171927555_c7404c0470_c.jpg

Waldorf Astoria #16 par 3

Nice! Thanks for the pictures. Can’t wait for the trip, wishing it was longer already.

• 4 weeks later...

As someone heading over in November/December from the UK, where do you guys recommend? ive previously played Palms, celebration, Falcons and shingle creek.

If any one fancys 18 too let me know!

I'd try to get on ChampionsGate CC (not the resort).

If you're staying over by that area, I would try and take a trip to Eaglebrooke in Lakeland. It's well worth the trip.

And I would get to Southern Dunes as well.

I think you would be quite happy with those three.

RH

As someone heading over in November/December from the UK, where do you guys recommend? ive previously played Palms, celebration, Falcons and shingle creek.

If you're staying over by that area, I would try and take a trip to Eaglebrooke in Lakeland. It's well worth the trip.

RH

forgot to say, i need to play somewhere that offers rental clubs, as not bringing mine this time

Callaway Xr 16 10.5
Ping Rapture 3w
PXG 0311 xf gen 2 3,4 iron
PXG 0311 P gen 2 5-PW
Cobra PUR 50, 54, 60
Ping Nome TR

RH

forgot to say, i need to play somewhere that offers rental clubs, as not bringing mine this time

Rosen Shingle Creek and Orange County National have rentals

RH

Club Hub or Clubs to Hire are two companies that rent newer clubs by the week maybe cheaper and better than the clubs you usually find at clubhouses. Google them

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

The courses you mentioned are great, but I would take a visit to Orange County National as well. They have 2 18 hole courses and a 9 hole executive. Should be in great shape at that time too!

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread...

Just returned from my weekend trip. The weather was fantastic with the recent cold front that went through.

We arrived at Southern Dunes at 11:00am, greated by friendly staff and had a great lunch in the bar area. I had the club sandwich which was fantastic, the other guys had no complaints about their food either. Most of the driving range was closed and was being repaired, they did have about 7 spots open to hit from which made for some waiting, not to long though. Chipping area and putting green was in good shape. Out to the course we were greeted again by a friendly starter and off we went. Tee boxes, fairways, bunkers, greens were all in fantastic shape and none of us had complaints about the condition of the course. Pace of play was good and we finished under 4 hours. Carts had GPS and distances were very accurate to the flags. After the round we loaded up and headed to the Fountains at Championsgate for the evening.

Day 2 our tee time was at 8:06 at the New Course at Grand Cypress. Beautiful club house and friendly staff. Range is disappointing as you are hitting from mats but with 2 courses on site and the amount of people they push through it is understandable. Tee time was on time and after talking with the starter we were off. I have played this course a year ago and the conditions seemed exactly the same. Some of the tee boxes were a little rough but the rest of the course was in good shape. This is a course you really have to put your ball on in the right area of the green otherwise the 3 putt is a very real possibility. Pace of play on the morning round was fantastic and we did not wait once on any tee box and never had a group waiting on the box behind us waiting for us to hit. We finished the round in 3:30. After the round I ran up to the club house and inquired about a replay as we were to receive free replays with our booking. The soonest they could get us back out was an hour and a half later back on the New course. No big deal, we ate lunch and had a drink (or two). Lunch was good and again no one had complaints of the food in the clubhouse. Back out on the course again for the afternoon round and it was SLOW! On the par 3 7th when we arrived there was a group on the green, one on the tee box waiting, and another group in their carts waiting. It took over 30 minutes for us to hit our tee shots. We called it after 9 holes and left.

Day 3 we had an early tee time, 7:30 at Waldorf Astoria. We arrived at 6:45 thinking we would have some time to warm up. There was no one to greet us, take our bags, or valet the car. The doors were locked and we stood there for 10 minutes wondering if something had gone wrong with our reservation. Finally someone came around and offered to take our bags downstairs, he told us the club house and range does not open until 7 and that we could chip and putt until then, I felt as if we were imposing on him at this point as it wasn't the friendliest greeting. At 7:05 someone finally unlocked the clubhouse doors and I checked the group in. We made our way to the range and warmed up. At 7:30 we made our way to the starter and finally received a friendly greeting and began our round. We were the 1st group off for the day so pace of play was no issue, we never saw the group behind us either. We played the white tees as we were told the course plays long, I'm glad we did as with some of the wind and the wet fairways from the overnight dew I felt like it was much more demanding than a 6400 yard course should have been. I shot a 42 on the front and then promptly fell apart on 10, 11, and 12 before recovering enough to shoot a 91. I was happy with that score considering I had never played this course before and the all around shape of my game right now. I can't say enough about the course conditions at Waldorf, it may not be the most interesting course but it feels extremely private as there are not houses on the course and you do not see much of any other hole from the one you are playing. Lunch was at the clubhouse and while I spent $30 for a burger and ice tea, it was one of the best burgers I have ever had.

Attached are a few photo's of the courses, they were taken with my iPhone so don't expect any fancy photography.

Southern Dunes:

Grand Cypress (New):

Waldorf Astoria:

• 2 weeks later...
huckleberry_lawyer, on 06 August 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

I'm relocating to Orlando and will be living in the Winter Park/Maitland area. It seems like most of the discussion in this thread is regarding courses south of Orlando. Are any of the courses in the northern suburbs worth playing regularly?

Not too far from you is Dubsdread, narrow public course.

Also if you take 408E to 417 you can get to Northshore and Eagle Creek pretty fast over in Lake Nona area.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Northern suburbs....everybody raves about the new Winter Park Course. It's only 9 holes. I think it's a mix of par-3's, par-4's and 1 par-5 (I don't thin it's even a par-35). But everybody really loves it and it's pretty cheap.

RedTail is about 30 minutes away and is excellent.

I'm not a big fan of Timacuan, but it's available and usually has very good greens.

45 minutes away is Deer Island CC. Very good track and there's usually nobody out there.

You've also got Deltona Club, Victoria Hills (excellent design), Black Bear Club, etc. All about a 30-40 minute drive away.

Private clubs...your best best is Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes, but it's not cheap.

RH

• 3 weeks later...

was at victoria hills yesterday and it's a heck of a course; ron garl is a great great architect and needs more love.

it was a bit rough around the edges but just a superb design that's well thought out. i always love finishing par5s holes. it just makes for an interesting match towards the end. fantastic set of greens. i'd argue it's up there with country club of orlando as the most imaginative greens in orlando. just plain fun all around.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

If you’re in the tampa area just play southern hills.

It was a good day at Nona today. Can’t beat Florida weather middle of December. 70 degrees.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Orlando for a work trip in April and got to play Shingle Creek and Celebration.

Shingle Creek had recently got some holes redone and it look/played pretty well. I wanted to use the range and I picked the day they were picking balls so the Pro took $10 of my round the next day which was really nice.

Celebration was a very pleasant surprise. Going off pictures alone, I was nervous this would be a flop but I really liked the course. I highly reccommed.