Golf in Orlando

zach0723

Gents - Thanks in advance for any help here! I'm headed down to Orlando in early March with 3 buddies. I've read through a few threads on here, went through golfadvisor, etc. From that research, below is what our schedule is looking like over the 3 days there. Have a few additional questions:

1) Is Tee Times USA truly worth it? More than willing to go through them to reserve the times outright but obviously don't want to overpay OR miss out on tee times. For instance, Ritz is $190 on there, but ppl on GA has mention deals in the $99 range.

2) For Friday twilight we're looking for something pretty inexpensive to play near the Ritz or Grand Cypress (15-25m a way). Any recommendations?

3) We're torn for our Friday morning round as well. We were set on ChampionGate CC but the recent Golf Advisor reviews have all brought up the construction and temporary greens. We're thinking of shifting to Grand Cypress New Course or The Ritz (and grabbing caddies) to have a really nice round. Thoughts?

Thursday (18) - Southern Dunes

Friday (36 or til we lose light) - morning round at Ritz/Grand Cypress New Course/ChampionGate CC (if you have any input, please let me know). Friday twilight - open for debate.

Saturday (36) - OCN, both courses.

The Disney courses in the area around GC are always nice...Palm and Magnolia. You can play 9 or more for a twilight. OCN also has a 9 hole exec course which is fun to play an hour before sunset.

There is also a Disney LBV 9-Hole course I believe.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

The Disney courses in the area around GC are always nice...Palm and Magnolia. You can play 9 or more for a twilight. OCN also has a 9 hole exec course which is fun to play an hour before sunset.

Disney LBV is an 18 hole course like Palm and Magnolia. There is Disney Oak Trail which is a 9 hole executive course on the property with Magnolia and Palm.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I have found over the past 9 years of traveling to Orlando with a group of buddies at the end of February/early March that TeeTimesUSA is worth it. They are super helpful with helping you book decent rates, especially with pointing out what courses are much more expensive on the weekend, and also where you can get dirt cheap replay rates. You might want to just check with them; it doesn't cost anything to build a quote. To that end, from what you're describing you might get the most bang for your buck on Friday by playing the Ritz twice, or the Waldorf twice, etc, because of the cheap replay rates. Southern Dunes is a great track; nice call there.

EDIT to add: part of the reason we utilize TeeTimes is because they also wrap our lodging (4 or 5 bedroom home with a pool) and rental car (minivan) into our package and that makes it super reasonable for us.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Disney LBV is an 18 hole course like Palm and Magnolia. There is Disney Oak Trail which is a 9 hole executive course on the property with Magnolia and Palm.

Would you rather play:

Grand Cypress New Course & Hawks Landing

OR

Disney LBV & Palm

Would you rather play:

OR

Disney LBV & Palm

For me I'd rather do Grand Cypress and Hawks Landing (all new greens). Disney Magnolia is a good track but to me was kind of dull in terms of a layout. Just my .02.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 2 weeks later...

Would you rather play:

OR

Disney LBV & Palm

I'll do something rare, actually answer your question! Of those I'd play the New Course. It's unique with some fun holes and a lot of risk/reward shot options. Conditions have always been solid when I've played it.

Anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Just 2 of us going down, would like a little nightlife close by if that is an option.

Three places for 'nightlife', in order;

1- Downtown orlando, main nightlife area and gets crazy, locals

2- Sand lake Rd and International Drive (pointe orlando, etc), tourist/local mix nightlife area but sand lake is all the nice local restaurants

3- Disney 'nightlife', Disney Springs, tourists

There's nice hotels in all 3 areas, but no nice golf courses by downtown. either way, downtown Orlando is only like 25 mins away from any given golf course stated in this thread

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Hotel booked - Going to be staying in LBV. Planning to play Eagle Creek straight from MCO (unless anyone has a better idea). after that 1st travel day, we'll have 4 full days, an will try to play 36 at twice. Have gone through several of the forums and have the following list (We'll be there 2/22-26 so Bay Hill will be closed for API prep). Have eliminated Southern Dunes after some mixed reviews of the greens. Wondering if I've missed any "must-plays", and what the current conditions are at these courses.

ChampionsGate Country Club

Orange County National

Juliette Falls

Mission Inn El Campeon

Grand Cypress New & N/S/E

Bella Colina

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Well done. Hopefully Eagle Creek won't be too busy.

Bella Collina is a course most golfers have to play a couple of times to really appreciate.

I like Grand Cypress as a facility and like the New Course. I like many of the holes on the N/S/E courses, but their green complexes are ridiculously designed.

Still, this is a solid schedule for golf. You'll love Juliette Falls.

RH

Now that your trip has passed, you will have to update us. Juliette Falls is one of my favorite in the state. GREAT layout, and a really fun track.

I have only played Bella Collina once.... and walked away very unimpressed. May be as Rich stated, I need to play it more... but you rarely find a decent rate there, so it is just not worth it.

Don't care for Eagle Creek. Gimmicky course, and not worth the winter rate.

Don't care for Grand Cypress new course either. They say it is a links... but as someone that has played plenty of links golf.... it is NOTHING like a links. Instead it ends up being a wide open course with gimmicky greens.

El Campeon has the hardest stretch of holes of any course in FL. 2-8 are just brutal. If you are a scratch golfer and manager to go +2 or less in that stretch.... you are playing great golf.

Champions Gate country club is an enjoyable track. Wide open and generally in good shape. Weaknesses are that it is about a 500 yard commute between most holes, and it is pretty easy. I laugh every time I see the rates for that course now. We used to play it for $35 last year on TeeOff.com.... and now they want $129. Not worth any price over $50 (as a local).

Finally... can all of you snowbirds please get the hell out of Orlando. I am missing my sub $20 rounds of golf!!!!!!!! :)

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Bella Collina is a course most golfers have to play a couple of times to really appreciate.

I like Grand Cypress as a facility and like the New Course. I like many of the holes on the N/S/E courses, but their green complexes are ridiculously designed.

RH

Actually dropping Juliette Falls from the list (it's too far of a drive for us). List is now:

Eagle Creek (straight from MCO, so ok if it is busy, we'll be using it as a warm-up)

Grand Cypress (36 holes)

El Campeon (18 Holes)

Championsgate CC (18)

OCN (36 holes)

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

RH

Actually dropping Juliette Falls from the list (it's too far of a drive for us). List is now:

Eagle Creek (straight from MCO, so ok if it is busy, we'll be using it as a warm-up)

Grand Cypress (36 holes)

El Campeon (18 Holes)

Championsgate CC (18)

OCN (36 holes)

You dropped the best golf course from the list.... IMHO

RH

Grand Cypress (36 holes)

El Campeon (18 Holes)

Championsgate CC (18)

OCN (36 holes)

I'de rather play Rosen Shingle Creek than Eagle Creek. I see EC every day and its not nice especially for $60. They just reconfigured a few holes/sand traps plus shortened one hole but its still unimpressive.

RH

Grand Cypress (36 holes)

El Campeon (18 Holes)

Championsgate CC (18)

OCN (36 holes)

I'de rather play Rosen Shingle Creek than Eagle Creek. I see EC every day and its not nice especially for $60. They just reconfigured a few holes/sand traps plus shortened one hole but its still unimpressive.

Agreed

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate the Eagle Creek v Shingle Creek recommendation, but since we are flying in from Toronto, we'll be pretty haggard, so are going to save some money at EC and use it as a practice round of sorts. Rota is now, EC straight from MCO, 36 at Grand Cypress on Saturday (we're staying at the Hyatt, so got preferred rates), Sunday is open for now, El Campeon on Monday and 36 at OCN on the Tuesday (10pm flight back to the Great White North).

We're going to keep an eye out for deals on the Sunday as I think we're likely to make a night of it on the Saturday (shuttle from the Hyatt means that I don't have to be designated driver that day). Given that we want to be back at the hotel by mid afternoon (Raptors are playing the Magic at 3:30...in Toronto unfortunately), any unmentioned hidden gems that we should hit? May just end up at Southern Dunes, but are super flexible. Thoughts? Anyone have an idea if Waldorf or Ritz have last minute deals?

THANKS!!

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate the Eagle Creek v Shingle Creek recommendation, but since we are flying in from Toronto, we'll be pretty haggard, so are going to save some money at EC and use it as a practice round of sorts. Rota is now, EC straight from MCO, 36 at Grand Cypress on Saturday (we're staying at the Hyatt, so got preferred rates), Sunday is open for now, El Campeon on Monday and 36 at OCN on the Tuesday (10pm flight back to the Great White North).

We're going to keep an eye out for deals on the Sunday as I think we're likely to make a night of it on the Saturday (shuttle from the Hyatt means that I don't have to be designated driver that day). Given that we want to be back at the hotel by mid afternoon (Raptors are playing the Magic at 3:30...in Toronto unfortunately), any unmentioned hidden gems that we should hit? May just end up at Southern Dunes, but are super flexible. Thoughts? Anyone have an idea if Waldorf or Ritz have last minute deals?

THANKS!!

You won’t find “deals” at ritz or Waldorf. Both will cost you north of $100, US not Canadian ;)

THANKS!!

Try Hawk's Landing, the Ritz Carlton, Championsgate (2 Norman courses), or Waldorf for your Sunday round.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

THANKS!!

If you're wanting to sleep in but aiming to get to a TV to catch the game, I think you should go play Winter Park CC. Incredibly cool little 9-hole course in an awesome neighborhood. Play it twice (you'll want to in order to figure out the greens) and then hang out in the awesome downtown area of Winter Park to catch the game.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

If you could play only one course in Orlando, what would it be? I have one free day for a work trip and want to play the best Orlando has to offer. Thought about try to go to streamsong but I land at 12:30, have to rent a car and then would have to drive there. By the time I got tee'd off, I'd be worried I wouldn't finish.

• Like 1

If you could play only one course in Orlando, what would it be? I have one free day for a work trip and want to play the best Orlando has to offer. Thought about try to go to streamsong but I land at 12:30, have to rent a car and then would have to drive there. By the time I got tee'd off, I'd be worried I wouldn't finish.

Tranquilo if you can't make it to Streamsong and don't have a connection for Bay Hill / Nona / etc.

That said; you wouldn't do poorly with Ritz or Waldorf either. Those would be my top 3 in terms of high-end resort golf experiences in the immediate Orlando area that you can play without needed a connection.

Next tier down would be Southern Dunes / Orange County National (Panther Lake) / Championsgate Country Club / Grand Cypress / Reunion / Celebration. All very good facilities and courses.

Toulon Chicago

RH

Grand Cypress (36 holes)

El Campeon (18 Holes)

Championsgate CC (18)

OCN (36 holes)

You dropped the best golf course from the list.... IMHO

I played Juliet Falls in December and didn't like it, dont understand the hype. It wasn't in great shape the way the grass looked especially after playing the courses at doral, maybe it was the time of year i played it? I really hated the greens, for me they were impossible to putt on, 5 three putts and shot 94. I found the course hard. I guess i like to play easier courses where i have a chance to shoot in the 70's

Played metrowest last friday with a cheap friend...what a garbage course.

The place is in disrepair, the greens have dirt spots, nothing is manicured, the fairways are cut terribly and spongy.

What a joke of a course.

Going to Orlando in early April. Initially thought we would were headed to Tampa but changed our minds. The courses we are playing are as follows:

- Royal St. Cloud - a cheap one but heard it's in decent shape.

- Mystic Dunes

- Shingle Creek

-Southern Dubes

- Timacuan

Interested on getting feedback on these courses from anyone who has played them in the last couple of months.

Thanks

15 hcp

I can tell you that I leave for our trip on Wednesday and TeeTimesUSA just called me to say that Southern Dunes has 5 greens that aren't good and asked if we wanted to switch out for another course. Going to sub in Championsgate Country Club. I'm hoping we can have lunch there; last time we played it they didn't have a clubhouse (2 or 3 years go)!

Toulon Chicago