Golf in Orlando

zach0723

I can tell you that I leave for our trip on Wednesday and TeeTimesUSA just called me to say that Southern Dunes has 5 greens that aren't good and asked if we wanted to switch out for another course. Going to sub in Championsgate Country Club. I'm hoping we can have lunch there; last time we played it they didn't have a clubhouse (2 or 3 years go)!

Thanks, that's interesting as we went thru TeeTimes as well and they did not mention that about Southern Dunes.

15 hcp

Give your TeeTimes rep a call. Tell them about this post and ask for their reco, they'll give you a list of courses you can swap out for if you decide to. They are super helpful and responsive.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I think Jerebear is a local expert too. So his opinion should count. These time Logistics made hard to go play but we will make it happen next.

I visited Orlando last month but didn’t had time to update this.

Not recommended: North Shore.

Customer service deficiencies. Long round. I like the layout but for the price you can do better.

Positive: Is close to the airport and they get a lot of play with people that just have time for a round.

Look at my pairing!

Tri-sole putter looks nice.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Heading to Orlando from CT with my brother on 3/2-3/6. Had Southern Dunes scheduled but cancelled due to the previous post of bad greens. Ended up with the following tee times.

1. Providence Club

2. Mystic Dunes

3. Lakewood National

4. Palm Aire CC

Hope we made the right choices. Have been to Orlando/Palm Beach Gardens at least 8 times and have covered many courses, this trip includes all four courses that we have never played before. Wish us good weather and 4 1/2 hour rounds.

Heading to Orlando from CT with my brother on 3/2-3/6. Had Southern Dunes scheduled but cancelled due to the previous post of bad greens. Ended up with the following tee times.

1. Providence Club

2. Mystic Dunes

3. Lakewood National

4. Palm Aire CC

Hope we made the right choices. Have been to Orlando/Palm Beach Gardens at least 8 times and have covered many courses, this trip includes all four courses that we have never played before. Wish us good weather and 4 1/2 hour rounds.

I’m sure you’ll be happy to shake the cold and snow off. I don’t know anything abt Palm Aire. Lakewood Natl is a lot of fun and I think, your top pick. I’d like to read your reaction to Providence and Mystic Dunes.

I can tell you that I leave for our trip on Wednesday and TeeTimesUSA just called me to say that Southern Dunes has 5 greens that aren't good and asked if we wanted to switch out for another course. Going to sub in Championsgate Country Club. I'm hoping we can have lunch there; last time we played it they didn't have a clubhouse (2 or 3 years go)!

I played Championsgate CC in late December and there was a small clubhouse and restaurant built up. You should be able to grab a lunch there.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Just returned late last night, after a great trip to Orlando.

Clubs did not make it to Orlando on our flight so ended up playing Eagle Creek with a set of lightweight regular flex Wilson rentals, but they were waiting for us at our hotel after the round and dinner.

Would rank the courses as follows:

1) OCN Panther Lake

2) Mission Inn El Campeon

3) OCN Crooked Cat

4) Grand Cypress N/S

5) Grand Cypress New

6) Eagle Creek

That being said, they were all good tracks, conditions were good across the board.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Just back from Orlando on Sunday.

Did end up playing Southern Dunes. They are clearly having an issue with multiple greens. It's too bad as the layout and conditions around the rest of the course were awesome, and some of the greens are fine. They did knock $20 off our rate for the day, without anyone asking for that.

Other courses we played:

Tranquilo: Favorite of the bunch, as it has been for a few years running now. Very little play now that they have gone "private"; we were still able to book it through TeeTimesUSA. Fantastic condition and a great layout.

Championsgate International: Biggest surprise of the bunch, we haven't played here in several years. They have replaced their greens and they are very nice. Also: excellent meal at the Omni on property.

Championsgate Country Club: A LOT more construction since we were here 2 years ago. Still like the layout, but the construction is everywhere, and loud! New clubhouse is nice, albeit small. Great staff.

Waldorf: Consistently one of our favorite courses in the Orlando area. Narrow and challenging with tricky greens. I felt great shooting 81. Fantastic condition as always, and a very welcoming staff.

Toulon Chicago

My BIL and I will be coming down from the Frozen Tundra Mar 14th-17th for an impromptu golf trip. We'll be staying at a place at Reunion. 8pm flight on Sunday night.

We are thinking about this for an itinerary:

Thursday $150-ish:

8:00-ish: Mission Inn - Las Colinas

2:00-ish: Milssion Inn - El Campeon

Friday $325-ish:

10:00-ish: Streamsong

afternoon: some GolfNow course if we aren't too tired

Saturday $200-ish:

10:00-ish OCN Panther

3:00-ish OCN Crooked

-OR-

Saturday $180-ish

9:30-ish World Rolling

3:00-ish World Pine

Sunday $200-ish:

8:00-ish Southern Dunes********

3:00-ish Eagle Creek if not totally burned out

********no tee times for Southern Dunes on that Sunday morn... should we try to book SD for another day, or should we shoot for something else. Anything in the $40-75 range we should be looking at?

Also, we read that World Woods is a must play. Should we nix OCN on Saturday and do the two World Woods courses instead? And then maybe hit the OCN Panther course on Sunday morning?

This s*** has gotten way out of hand with the money we are spending, because my BIL if frickin ridiculous, but it is what it is and we're doin it (and it doesn't hurt that he's paying for my Streamsong round for my bday lol).

What say you locals... anywhere we can shave off a good chunk of change and still be enjoyable/memorable?

My BIL and I will be coming down from the Frozen Tundra Mar 14th-17th for an impromptu golf trip. We'll be staying at a place at Reunion. 8pm flight on Sunday night.

We are thinking about this for an itinerary:

Thursday $150-ish:

8:00-ish: Mission Inn - Las Colinas

2:00-ish: Milssion Inn - El Campeon

Friday $325-ish:

10:00-ish: Streamsong

afternoon: some GolfNow course if we aren't too tired

Saturday $200-ish:

10:00-ish OCN Panther

3:00-ish OCN Crooked

-OR-

Saturday $180-ish

9:30-ish World Rolling

3:00-ish World Pine

Sunday $200-ish:

8:00-ish Southern Dunes********

3:00-ish Eagle Creek if not totally burned out

********no tee times for Southern Dunes on that Sunday morn... should we try to book SD for another day, or should we shoot for something else. Anything in the $40-75 range we should be looking at?

Also, we read that World Woods is a must play. Should we nix OCN on Saturday and do the two World Woods courses instead? And then maybe hit the OCN Panther course on Sunday morning?

This s*** has gotten way out of hand with the money we are spending, because my BIL if frickin ridiculous, but it is what it is and we're doin it (and it doesn't hurt that he's paying for my Streamsong round for my bday lol).

What say you locals... anywhere we can shave off a good chunk of change and still be enjoyable/memorable?

I would be surprised if you get those 3pm rounds finished if that mattters. Haven't played World Woods, but was very impressed with OCN. If you have any flexibility on lodging, I would stay the night at Streamsong, so you can get at least 2 rounds in there (they have package rates) if you haven't been there before.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

I would be surprised if you get those 3pm rounds finished if that mattters. Haven't played World Woods, but was very impressed with OCN. If you have any flexibility on lodging, I would stay the night at Streamsong, so you can get at least 2 rounds in there (they have package rates) if you haven't been there before.

It will be after daylight savings by that weekend, so sunset isn’t until 7:30-ish and it won’t get dark until 8:00-ish. My BIL and I can pound 18 riding out in like 2 hours. Is a slow round to be expected in the Orlando area during those 3 PM and after rounds?

Fastest rounds we experienced last week were at OCN. Morning round was 3:45 and Afternoon about the same. Issue with pace is largely down to volume of players, not your speed.

We were cutting it close with both of our 2pm starts.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Did end up playing Southern Dunes. They are clearly having an issue with multiple greens. It's too bad as the layout and conditions around the rest of the course were awesome, and some of the greens are fine. They did knock $20 off our rate for the day, without anyone asking for that.

Other courses we played:

Tranquilo: Favorite of the bunch, as it has been for a few years running now. Very little play now that they have gone "private"; we were still able to book it through TeeTimesUSA. Fantastic condition and a great layout.

Championsgate International: Biggest surprise of the bunch, we haven't played here in several years. They have replaced their greens and they are very nice. Also: excellent meal at the Omni on property.

Championsgate Country Club: A LOT more construction since we were here 2 years ago. Still like the layout, but the construction is everywhere, and loud! New clubhouse is nice, albeit small. Great staff.

Waldorf: Consistently one of our favorite courses in the Orlando area. Narrow and challenging with tricky greens. I felt great shooting 81. Fantastic condition as always, and a very welcoming staff.

Regarding Southern Dunes,were the majority of the greens messed up? Did you book Southern Dunes through TeeTimes? Reason I am asking - we are playing it in early April and wondering if there is any hope they will be healed up by then.

15 hcp

It will be after daylight savings by that weekend, so sunset isn’t until 7:30-ish and it won’t get dark until 8:00-ish. My BIL and I can pound 18 riding out in like 2 hours. Is a slow round to be expected in the Orlando area during those 3 PM and after rounds?

I’d assume that as long as you tee off by 3 and play in under 4.5 hours you should be fine.

We ended up with this schedule:

089bb3fff5d2637f1aff2bbb220f67e7.jpg

Anywhere we should go for that Sunday round around Kissimmee or the airport?

Would you guys change any rounds to fit anywhere else in?

I would try to get on to RedTail in place of Las Colinas. It's a crappy and ridiculous Gary Koch design. Extremely and ridiculously narrow and just doesn't make much sense.

As far as a course around the airport...your best bet is either Eagle Creek or North Shore. Celebration or Falcons Fire are just south and probably better than either of them.

RH

I have passes to go watch the API at Bay Hill this Sunday. Does anyone have any tips to make for an optimal experience?

17th green is nice with the bleachers. but those probably fill up early sunday. i'm not a camper i usually follow my favorite golfers around

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Other courses we played:

Regarding Southern Dunes,were the majority of the greens messed up? Did you book Southern Dunes through TeeTimes? Reason I am asking - we are playing it in early April and wondering if there is any hope they will be healed up by then.

I wouldn't say a majority were messed up, but roughly half of them had noticeable issues. They didn't putt that bad, to be honest, but in those places they were basically painted firm dirt, so if you had to putt through an area like that it was difficult to judge pace. Seems like the disease is just wiping out the grass all together, not making them bumpy. Yes, we booked through TeeTimesUSA and they proactively called and gave me a heads up before we left; told me we could switch out to something else. We elected to play it anyway; it didn't ruin our day!

Toulon Chicago

I have passes to go watch the API at Bay Hill this Sunday. Does anyone have any tips to make for an optimal experience?

Drive in early, the neighborhood roads arent made for the load of the tournament.

Also come early if you want merchandise - they run out of sizes quickly.

The area where the 7/6/5 and 3/2 holes are is fun. So is the grandstands on 17/18 on the back 9.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Park your car at PGA Tour Superstore and take Uber over to the course.

Probably want to get there a bit early. There are bleachers right behind the range and special seating above if you have a MasterCard.

Best place on the front nine is right by the 3rd green. You can watch shots come into the 3rd green, the tee shots on 4 and then the tee shots on 6.

Best place on the back nine is over by where the approach on 16 is. You can see drives come in from 16, approaches on 16, get to see shots come in from 17 (best par-3 on Tour) and see tee shots on 18.

You can also do some walking behind the 2nd tee box. So you can see shots come in from #1, tee shots on the par-3 2nd hole and approach shots come in on #8 and also walk over to watch tee shots on #9.

Make sure to take a picture in front of Arnie's statue.

Have fun.

RH

• 1 month later...

OCN is great but has one very major issue that might be important. Their USGA rating expired (not within 10 years) and they haven't renewed it so you cannot post any scores from there at all. It's not now a valid USGA rated course according the USGA in Florida and no scores can be posted in GHIN for the course. Great courses but cheap management. Have ratings on score cards but those are not valid. I called the FSGA about posting and that's what they told me. scores there re no longer valid. Little overpriced for non-local resident to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to FL on a buddies trip in July for a long weekend at Streamsong. Two of us will be flying in early for a round in Orlando. Ideally, we don't want to be too far from the airport, so I am curious what or where you all recommend to play? I have seen a bunch of recommendations for the area, just not sure how far some are from the airport or at least would be convenient for the other two to pick us up on the way to Streamsong. Again, looking for a one day play towards the end of July (24th) for a two-some, so any recommendation for the all who know the are would be great. BTW, I realize some course might be or will have aerated around that time as well.

> @"Mike Honcho" said:

> Heading to FL on a buddies trip in July for a long weekend at Streamsong. Two of us will be flying in early for a round in Orlando. Ideally, we don't want to be too far from the airport, so I am curious what or where you all recommend to play? I have seen a bunch of recommendations for the area, just not sure how far some are from the airport or at least would be convenient for the other two to pick us up on the way to Streamsong. Again, looking for a one day play towards the end of July (24th) for a two-some, so any recommendation for the all who know the are would be great. BTW, I realize some course might be or will have aerated around that time as well.

Eagle Creek is the closest worth playing, second would be Shingle Creek.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @"Mike Honcho" said:

> > Heading to FL on a buddies trip in July for a long weekend at Streamsong. Two of us will be flying in early for a round in Orlando. Ideally, we don't want to be too far from the airport, so I am curious what or where you all recommend to play? I have seen a bunch of recommendations for the area, just not sure how far some are from the airport or at least would be convenient for the other two to pick us up on the way to Streamsong. Again, looking for a one day play towards the end of July (24th) for a two-some, so any recommendation for the all who know the are would be great. BTW, I realize some course might be or will have aerated around that time as well.

>

> Eagle Creek is the closest worth playing, second would be Shingle Creek.

I appreciate the reply. I’ll look into both. Is Celebration any good?