Golf in Orlando

zach0723

On 8/12/2021 at 10:48 PM, GreyDawg said:

Whats the golf scene like around North Orlando? Could be moving to the Winter Park area. I've played the WP9 but thats about it. Any private clubs in the area relatively affordable?

Tuscawilla is private and decent and fairly affordable.  Legacy Club is very good.  A Fazio design.  I believe memberships include membership at Legacy and Heathrow down the road.  However, they only do family memberships so the initiation fee is ~$13K.  The monthly membership is around $500 IIRC.  But it includes your entire family.  Tuscawilla is substantially less. 

Not sure what Timacuan's status is on private vs. non-private.  I think it's inferior to Tuscawilla and Legacy Club though.

Lots of good, affordable public golf though.  Some offer memberships as well like RedTail, Victoria Hills and Deltona Club.

Other than that, you'll have to look a bit westward for private golf.  Orange Tree is next to Universal and about a 20-minute drive.   $6K for initiation and $315K/mo membership (doesn't include carts, F&B or range dues).  But Orange Tree is a good course with an outstanding membership and service.  Lots of mini-Tour players and LPGA golfers out there.

A lot of golfers new to the area tend to like the public golf route because it's quite affordable for about 9-10 months out of the year.  But in the spring the pace of play is slow and the rates get jacked up.  In the summer you have to deal with the heat and questionable course conditions.

RH 

• Like 1

Richie has good points. I live in Winter Park myself. I haven't played Tuskawilla but I'd like to visit the course and consider a membership there. When I inquired last year for a 'junior' membership it was $1500 initiation and $300 a month, plus quarterly F&B of $250. Legacy is pretty good from a routing/maintenance perspective, but its just too far for me to consider joining. I played Timacuan last week and the conditions were poor at best (usually pretty good). Lots of bare sand on the edges of the greens, bare tee boxes, washed out bunkers. Worst I've seen it.

That gets into my next point: for public golf north of Orlando it's very difficult to find a good course routing with consistently enjoyable course conditions. Dubsdread is typically in great shape year round, but the course routing leaves much to be desired (tight and short). Winter Park Pines is good for a quick round but don't expect good conditions ever. Rio Pinar has a good practice facility and decent routing, but there's hardly any grass on the greens. Twin Rivers is a great routing but the greens and green surrounds are typically in rough shape. Timacuan is in poor shape right now. Deltona Club is probably the best public routing in the area but you have to accept the greens will be slow and the bunkers probably won't be raked. Victoria Hills in Deland is another great routing but the overall condition there is terrible for the price you pay. Wekiva use to be in good shape once upon a time but has taken a turn for the worst.

If you live north of Orlando and want to do the public golf scene your best bet is to travel over to Orange County National and the other 'tourist courses'  in the summer time for good conditions and bang for your buck. In the winter to save a few bucks you'll have to endure the bad routings and conditions in the Winter Park/North Orlando area. Some courses do run summer deals (Disney) or gift card deals around the winter time (Timacuan offers buy a $50 gift card and get 2 18 hole golf vouchers free).

Again, course conditions on the public scene are tough in this area, and the practice facilities in the Winter Park area aren't very good. Very few courses offer nicely grassed ranges with good chipping/bunker areas. This is why I'll probably bite the bullet and go the Tuskawilla route within the next year or so. 

Edited by italianstallion
  • Like 1

[sign here]

Thanks for the info guys ... Italian Stallion haha that second paragraph was tough to read. Lots of you got this but theres that haha but I appreciate the honesty and I would say it the same way. I want to go try out Dubs here soon bc it looked pretty active and social when I drove by the other day. Will also have to see about the practice facility at Rio Pinar as well. 

Orange Tree looks pretty awesome. Any thoughts on West Orange CC? Same vibe or not at all?

I haven’t played either Orange Tree or West Orange. I hear West Orange does have a pretty active membership and skins games. 

I don’t mean to scare you too much. Dubsdread is honestly the best option near Winter Park. My main gripe is again the length of it…from a course management perspective it makes no sense to hit driver on more than 4 holes out there. I mean, you can hit driver on many of the holes out there, but logically speaking it doesn’t get you any reward for the excess risk over hitting a 3 iron or hybrid off most tees. You’ll see when you play there. 

That said yes, it’s probably the most sociable place and they have a good skins group as well. Conditions are typically really good, especially the greens. Need to tee off before 9:30 on weekends though otherwise it can get quite slow. 

[sign here]

Orange Tree has the 'scratch game' that has been going on since the course's inception in 1972.  They play it 3x per week, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.  The tee times are either at 11am (winter months) or 1pm (summer months).  It's open to all members and they can bring their guests if they desire.

It's usually 4 man team format where they take the two best scores for each hole.  However the score is kept relative to par (instead of actual total score) because all birdies/eagles count.  I.e. if a group goes birdie, par, par and bogey, then they played the hole at -1.  If another group goes birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie...then they played the hole at -4.

They put you at tee positions based on age and handicap.  All of the pros (club pros and tour pros) play from the back tee (except for the ladies, they play the blue tees).  They do a good job of providing enough tees and putting golfers at shorter than normal tees so they can more birdies and shoot a lower score.

They list each player as an A, B, C and D player based on their handicap.  The players determined to be A players are captains and about 30 minutes before tee-off the A players go into a room and select their teams.  It's a shotgun start.

'Dots' are based on the following:

- Low team score on front nine

- Low team score on back nine

- Low total team score

- Team skins (low score on a hole as a team)

- greenies on each of the par-3's

There's also individual skins which almost everybody plays and whipouts' which are if you make a birdie on a hole, the rest of the team owes you $1 for that birdie.  This is done so those that don't play in skins and don't play well can't just completely piggyback off the good players.

IIRC, the most an individual can lose is $38, but that's if the team does absolutely nothing.  Usually you're coming out losing about $15 or so.  One year I made a net profit of $780...just the luck turned out that way.  And you'd be surprised at the teams that win.   Some teams look loaded with a Tour pro as captain and end up finishing near last while some other team with lower level players just dominates.

And for the most part everybody is pretty cool about it and the rounds usually take less than 4 hours.

RH

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:29 AM, sabram said:

That list would make a nice trip of seven rounds. Make sure you play Southern Dunes. Here are photo tours of those courses:

Southern Dunes Pix

Bay Hill Pix

Rittz Carlton Pix

Reunion Palmer Pix

Reunion Nicklaus Pix

Reunion Watson Pix

Southern Dunes (FL) Golf Course

Southern Dunes

Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Golf Club

Bay Hill

Ritz Carlton Golf Club at Grande Lakes

Ritz Carlton

Reunion Resort - Palmer Course

Reunion Palmer

Reunion Resort - Watson Course

Reunion Watson

Reunion Resort - Nicklaus Course

Reunion Nicklaus

Tranquillo

Man I have PTSD from that tee shot at Southern Dunes. That is the exact moment my round went to hell. Foolishly went for the back left pin and ended up deep left. A nice 8 to go on about my day....

Absolutely loved that course though. The tee shots are phenomenal. 

Callaway Smoke Ai Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

27 minutes ago, courcy75 said:

Man I have PTSD from that tee shot at Southern Dunes. That is the exact moment my round went to hell. Foolishly went for the back left pin and ended up deep left. A nice 8 to go on about my day....

... and the greens are fantastic!

Just now, sabram said:

... and the greens are fantastic!

Agreed. One of my favorite courses in Florida. Worth the drive. 

FWIW, in case anyone might find it useful, this week GolfPass published my personal top-10 Orlando golf courses list: https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/best-orlando-florida-golf-courses.

• Like 3

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

21 hours ago, Tim_Gavrich said:

FWIW, in case anyone might find it useful, this week GolfPass published my personal top-10 Orlando golf courses list: https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/best-orlando-florida-golf-courses.

Tim, I'm glad Deltona made your top ten and that Southern Dunes is #1. I play SD regularly  and it's a blast.

I played both Deltona and Victoria Hills on Thursday.  Here are links to photos from those rounds:

Deltona Pix Dec 2021

Victoria Hills Pix Dec 2021

It's he first time I've returned to those two courses in a couple of years as it's a far drive for me. They are terrific courses. Both Doak 5's or 6's as long as conditioning isn't in the mix. It appears that neither course is overseeding this year and they are a bit rough around the edges, but a lot of fun. (More fun than Bay Hill)  Lots of elevation changes, good greens with lots of movement(although not in the class of Southern Dunes). You should make a point to play Victoria Hills. They were less than $50, which is really good bang for the buck.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Marty86 said:

I'm going to be in the Orlando area around the Christmas time, any recommendations for courses I should try to book and find a tee time for? I am probably looking to play around 5-8 rounds while I'm there.

Orange County National has 2 courses that are very good.

BayHill is always a treat, though have to stay & play and its expensive in winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Heading down to Orlando in mid-February probably for 5-6 days and plan on playing four days, possibly 5 days. Courses I was thinking about were 

ChampionsGate CC

Orange County National (both)

Southern Dunes

Bella Collina

World Woods -Pine Barrens

Any thoughts on these or any others I should think about (other than the super-expensive ones like Waldorf Astoria and Grande Lakes)?

On 12/19/2021 at 11:31 PM, ChuckZ1956 said:

Heading down to Orlando in mid-February probably for 5-6 days and plan on playing four days, possibly 5 days. Courses I was thinking about were 

ChampionsGate CC

Southern Dunes

Bella Collina

Any thoughts on these or any others I should think about (other than the super-expensive ones like Waldorf Astoria and Grande Lakes)?

Those are all good choices. The only caveat would be World Woods. It's a very good course, but a far drive from the others and all reports are that conditions have been very poor over the past year. You might consider Grand Cypress Links or Mission Inn El Canpeon as a replacement.

12 hours ago, ChrisLC40 said:

Planning a trip down mid-March, playing 4 days at Celebration, Southern Dunes and both OCN courses. Playing days will be Wednesday through Saturday. Any of those courses I should avoid on a Saturday anticipating slow play?

The best way to increase likelihood of good pace of play is to get out early. I play Southern Dunes frequently and get out during the first hour if the day. Pace if play is almost always excellent then

ChampionsGate CC

Southern Dunes

Bella Collina

This is a good selection.  ChampionsGate CC, Southern Dunes, OCN - Panther Lake and World Woods - Pine Barrens are excellent choices.  I think those are 'must plays' in the area.

I think OCN - Crooked Cat is fine, but I'd rather play Waldorf, Ritz Carlton or RedTail in place of it.  But if you're doing both OCN courses because they are 2 courses on the same property, I get that.  For 'high end' value, I'd take Waldorf over OCN - Crooked Cat.  For 'value', I'd take RedTail over OCN - Crooked Cat.  There's also Eaglebrooke out in Lakeland that isn't much further out.

I don't mind Bella Collina at all, but my guess is that the first time you play it, you're not going to like it that much.  It's a bit of a screwy golf course because you have to aim your tee shots towards the top of the hill which may be nowhere near the middle of the fairway and you basically have to know your way around the course.  If you play it a few times you may start to like playing it.

However, I would suggest that you try out Rolling Oaks at World Woods instead.  In fact, I would consider that as your '2 courses on the same property' place to play over OCN.  I think both World Woods courses (Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks) are excellent designs.

If *I* were doing it, I would go:

ChampionsGate CC

OCN - Panther Lake

Southern Dunes

Waldorf

World Woods - Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks.

RH

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, ChrisLC40 said:

Planning a trip down mid-March, playing 4 days at Celebration, Southern Dunes and both OCN courses. Playing days will be Wednesday through Saturday. Any of those courses I should avoid on a Saturday anticipating slow play?

I'd probably avoid OCN just because it gets super busy there to the point that there's little they can do to speed up play.  Plus, the Panther Lake course has a confusing transition from #3 to #4.  People get lost as to what tee to play all of the time and it slows down play .  I don't recall too many slow rounds at Southern Dunes or Celebration.  Not saying they can't happen, but usually it's not the problem that Panther Lake can present.

RH

ChampionsGate CC

Southern Dunes

Bella Collina

As others have mentioned I would nix Bella Collina from this. Probably the most weird course layout in the area and in my opinion not worth the price paid. Everytime I play there I feel like I’m playing some sort of weird game that feels like golf but isn’t. It’s hard to describe.  

I haven’t been to World Woods in 7 years but I heard the conditioning as of late isn’t that great. However, with that said I really enjoy both Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks from a layout and design perspective. 

Grand Cypress New is also a really fun course to play. It’s not hard or challenging but it’s got width to it and that makes it fun to attack things from all sorts of angles. Currently no driving range however as they build out the new resort. 

[sign here]

On 12/3/2021 at 9:24 AM, courcy75 said:

My PTSD from a Orlando-area golf trip came this past summer at Celebration. I was even through 3 holes, and then holes 4 and 5 happened. I hit a great tee shot on hole 4 (par 5), and a nice layup shot to about 110 yards out. Then I thinned a gap wedge over the green, and into the woods behind it. Couldn't find it, and even if I could have I probably wouldn't have had a play. Ended up taking triple.

I got to #5 tee, a par 3, and I was going through the mental exercises of trying to forget the previous hole. Hit a decent tee shot, just off the green on the right. Thinking "ok, breathe, forget the triple and just get your focus back". Got in the cart with my playing partner. He takes off down the cart path, and I see what looks like a pretty deep puddle coming up quick. He's going awfully quick, and I turn to him and I think the only words I got out were "dude, what are you...." as we slam into this puddle. Water comes up, through the open front window, and drenches us both. 

The absolute worst timing ever. I wasn't over the triple bogey from the previous hole yet, being soaked wasn't helping my mood. It just reminds me that I need to learn how to be mentally tougher on the golf course. 

Edited by Roody
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

14 minutes ago, Roody said:

My PTSD from a Orlando-area golf trip came this past summer at Celebration. I was even through 3 holes, and then holes 4 and 5 happened. I hit a great tee shot on hole 4 (par 5), and a nice layup shot to about 110 yards out. Then I thinned a gap wedge over the green, and into the woods behind it. Couldn't find it, and even if I could have I probably wouldn't have had a play. Ended up taking triple.

I got to #5 tee, a par 3, and I was going through the mental exercises of trying to forget the previous hole. Hit a decent tee shot, just off the green on the right. Thinking "ok, breathe, forget the triple and just get your focus back". Got in the cart with my playing partner. He takes off down the cart path, and I see what looks like a pretty deep puddle coming up quick. He's going awfully quick, and I turn to him and I think the only words I got out were "dude, what are you...." as we slam into this puddle. Water comes up, through the open front window, and drenches us both. 

The absolute worst timing ever. I wasn't over the triple bogey from the previous hole yet, being soaked wasn't helping my mood. It just reminds me that I need to learn how to be mentally tougher on the golf course. 

That is BRUTAL lmao. 

• Like 1

If you’re staying in the orlando area, world woods is really out of the way.  Haven’t been there since spring time but conditions were awful then.  

Never understood the dislike for Bella.  Blind shots, fun greens, elevation change.  Always a good time. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

In theory I have a meeting at the Omni the second week in February. I say “in theory” because our last 4 sales meetings have been cancelled so I’m not hopeful.

Anyway….Meeting starts that Monday afternoon, so thinking about flying from NJ on Saturday morning and getting three rounds in. What’s the story with the Championsgate courses at the Omni? The easiest thing to do would be to stay there the extra two nights and and just play those courses - wouldn’t need a car really. But, I’m not philosophically opposed to staying somewhere else the first two nights and playing elsewhere. I have a ton of Marriott points so I could stay somewhere for free, I’m sure. 
Thoughts?

• Like 1

if you're in that area, I'd grab a cheap arbnb near haines city or anything on state road 27 and uber to play southern dunes and championgates COUNTRY CLUB instead.  Much better golf experience.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Two of the Championsgate courses are at the Omni. They are the National and International. They are usually in impeccable condition if that is important to you. I prefer the International to the National. The International is a faux links with wide fairways pretty good greens and not a lot of water. The National is more of a typical Florida course with a few  holes that have a Carolina low country/marshy feel.  Championsgate Country Club actually borders the National course, but is not accessible from the same club house. You'll need an uber to take you the 5 minute drive to the Country Club. The Country Club course is the best design of the three with the caveat that the holes are extremely far apart from one another requiring long cart rides between almost every hole as you wind your way through crowded housing which provides a less pretty surrounding than most of the holes on the International or National. The Country Club has some subtle elevation changes that make several of the holes play longer than their actual yardage.

I like Jerebear's suggestion to play Southern Dunes. It's about a 20 minute drive South of the Omni on Highway 27. It's one of the best, if not the best public courese in the Orlando area.

If I was staying at the Omni and had time to play three rounds, it would be (1) Southern Dunes, (2) Championsgate Country Club and (3) Championsgate International.

Other options would be the Panther Lake course at Orange County National or, if you want a bargain round that is a lot of fun, but perhaps will have mediocre conditions, play Highlands Reserve. It's a "locals" course, very close to the Omni, nothing fancy, but a really good piece of land with sandy base, lots of elevation changes, and very good interesting greens.

Click on a photo below for a photo tour of the course.

Championsgate Country Club

Championsgate Country Club

Championsgate - International Course 2021

Championsgate International

Championsgate National Course

Championsgate National

Southern Dunes Golf Course (FL) 2021

Southern Dunes

Highlands Reserve Golf Course

Highlands Reserve

Orange County National - Panther Lake Golf Course

Orange County National - Panther Lake

• Like 2

Sabram, thanks so much for the details on those courses. Your photo albums are awesome.  

My parents used to live in Clermont so I’ve been on Rt 27 quite a few times. I’ve played OCN and Falcon’s Fire and Grand Cypress, but none of the others. 

Last question (probably…) Have you played Tuscawilla? Is it a hike from the Omni? I have a buddy who’s a member but I haven’t reached out to him yet.

Thanks again!