Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

Here's the exact quote:

"Look, it's my opinion. I think my opinion's shared by a few people, but some people may think it's wrong, and that's fine. But I've spent seven years trying to please everyone, and I figured out that I can't really do that, so I may as well be true to myself."

Rory's honesty continues unchecked! Sharpen your pitchforks!!!!!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not sure why anyone would expect these guys to what to go play in Rio.

Rory said what he feels, and I don't disagree with it.

Golf back in the Olympics was always an odd idea to me. And the media loves shoving a microphone in these guys faces and asking them how much it means to them, when they know full well it's not a top priority for golfers.

I agree, it is an odd idea and it put all players into a can't win either way kind of bind. I'm not one to feel much sympathy for the First World "struggles" of professional golfers male or female, but I like what Rory said. It was refreshing to hear plain speak and candid talk, and not just because it was candid but because his reasoning was there. I don't buy Chamblee's comments at all, seems like grandstanding.

Was this plain speak?

"I get that a lot of players aren't playing because of family matters and other things," McIlroy said, "but while I don't have those issues of a family or anything else, that's a good opportunity to go down and do something that you've never done before. If nothing else, it will be a great experience.""

http://golfweek.com/...ur-wells-fargo/

Or are his recent comments plain speak?

; )

I was just referring to the quote that started this discussion thread. I guess it's fair game to dig up quotes from the past which reveal that he had at one time said something kind of opposite to his recent opinion but I wasn't referring to that. Plainspeak in my mind is what most of the European professional golfers do when they're being interviewed. Of course interviewees are chosen partly because they will likely produce a good sound byte, but in general plain speak is basically speaking your mind instead of uttering a cliche. Just because what he previously said was kind of contrary to what he's saying now doesn't make it something other than plain speak. It's just in conflict and that's a horse of a different color.

TBH he is probably just fed up of being asked the same questions, he has made his decision, lets just move on. It wouldn't be the first time that the press have asked questions that are no longer valid or tried to stir things up.

I do agree that the format is all wrong. Stroke play at the Olympics is flawed. An all out 4 player team Scramble would be be different enough to get attention and quite entertaining too. IMO

I certainly won't be watching a 72 hole stroke event.

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

TBH he is probably just fed up of being asked the same questions, he has made his decision, lets just move on. It wouldn't be the first time that the press have asked questions that are no longer valid or tried to stir things up.

I do agree that the format is all wrong. Stroke play at the Olympics is flawed. An all out 4 player team Scramble would be be different enough to get attention and quite entertaining too. IMO

I certainly won't be watching a 72 hole stroke event.

I'd be fed up with the press and their same stupid questions. For those that don't like Rory's answers then you'd really hate mine :)

Completely agree, a scramble with PGA pros would be very interesting and definitely worth watching.

He came off like a petulant, smug jerk IMO. I'm sure it gets tiresome answering questions about a game you play for millions but don't forget that without people watching and buying your products, you'd have to work in a factory or a bar or something.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Rors is 100% right on this topic, props to him for calling it out. We don't need the Olympics to see the best golfers in the world compete -- we see it already 8+ times per year at the majors + WGCs. What's the point? Why do people want Rors and others to fly 6,000 miles and risk their health to play on a questionable course with officiating that will likely make even the USGA look competent?

If one is only concerned about ones own career, then that's all they'll be remembered by, and in the grand scheme of life, golf means nothing. Id bet that Jack, Arnie, etc.. are far more proud of some of the things they've chosen to do with the weight they've been given than the trophies on their shelf.

If you have the God given talent to change lives through the game you've been gifted with, I would think you'd want to do it.. Especially when it changed yours. It's no secret that the more there is for kids to do, the less trouble they'll get into.. Rio seems like a place where kids could use more to do..

Jordan backing out was pretty surprising to me as he seems like a person to do things for reasons outside of himself. Maybe not, but he hasn't publicly announced it like Rory did. To be fair to Rory, I'm still a big fan and want to believe that he does good things with his time off the course too.

Maybe I'm missing something huge, but isn't the Olympics about competing for your country?? I get the Ryder cup is far more recognized for that, it just seems like the right thing to do, given the opportunity? Maybe if it wasn't so bashed right now, it'd be a bigger deal next time around? Idk.

You're basically saying that Rory McIlroy going to the Olympics and playing for Irish (or Great British, whatever) glory versus not going to the Olympics is the difference between some poor kid in Rio taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty versus not taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty. Never mind that the kid hasn't had a fully belly in years and golf is not something a poor kid in Rio casually takes up--idle time is the least of their problems, you know. Not only all that, but you're also saying that Rory has a moral obligation to do so, as the ghosts of the past surely would've done, in your imaginary world. Which is frankly a bunch of sanctimonious BS.

I see your imaginary world met mine.. You put a lot of words in my mouth and then added insult to it.

For future reference, starting a point with "you're basically" doesn't bring anything valid into a discussion. It allowed you to go off on a tangent like I'm an idiot, but was a extremely exaggerated and barely got to the point of what I was talking about at all.

Id be happy to debate any issue or opinion with anyone, but your delivery is less than respectful or insightful.

In the literal sense, I get what your saying. He doesn't really owe anyone anything. But if I had the opportunities he's had in life, which have obviously been matched by skill and hard work, Id atleast try to sound a little interested in something other than how many trophies I have in any given circumstance.

He's a good guy, donated all of his last winnings, etc..

I just don't agree with the way he's gone about this one and his attitude.

Stupid of Rory to say that. He needs to get real.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

If one is only concerned about ones own career, then that's all they'll be remembered by, and in the grand scheme of life, golf means nothing. Id bet that Jack, Arnie, etc.. are far more proud of some of the things they've chosen to do with the weight they've been given than the trophies on their shelf.

If you have the God given talent to change lives through the game you've been gifted with, I would think you'd want to do it.. Especially when it changed yours. It's no secret that the more there is for kids to do, the less trouble they'll get into.. Rio seems like a place where kids could use more to do..

Jordan backing out was pretty surprising to me as he seems like a person to do things for reasons outside of himself. Maybe not, but he hasn't publicly announced it like Rory did. To be fair to Rory, I'm still a big fan and want to believe that he does good things with his time off the course too.

Maybe I'm missing something huge, but isn't the Olympics about competing for your country?? I get the Ryder cup is far more recognized for that, it just seems like the right thing to do, given the opportunity? Maybe if it wasn't so bashed right now, it'd be a bigger deal next time around? Idk.

You're basically saying that Rory McIlroy going to the Olympics and playing for Irish (or Great British, whatever) glory versus not going to the Olympics is the difference between some poor kid in Rio taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty versus not taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty. Never mind that the kid hasn't had a fully belly in years and golf is not something a poor kid in Rio casually takes up--idle time is the least of their problems, you know. Not only all that, but you're also saying that Rory has a moral obligation to do so, as the ghosts of the past surely would've done, in your imaginary world. Which is frankly a bunch of sanctimonious BS.

I see your imaginary world met mine.. You put a lot of words in my mouth and then added insult to it.

For future reference, starting a point with "you're basically" doesn't bring anything valid into a discussion. It allowed you to go off on a tangent like I'm an idiot, but was a extremely exaggerated and barely got to the point of what I was talking about at all.

Id be happy to debate any issue or opinion with anyone, but your delivery is less than respectful or insightful.

In the literal sense, I get what your saying. He doesn't really owe anyone anything. But if I had the opportunities he's had in life, which have obviously been matched by skill and hard work, Id atleast try to sound a little interested in something other than how many trophies I have in any given circumstance.

He's a good guy, donated all of his last winnings, etc..

I just don't agree with the way he's gone about this one and his attitude.

My point was that your earlier post was incredibly sanctimonious. I don't need to put words in your mouth to make that point, because this ^^^^^^ is also incredibly sanctimonious.

Oh well, whatever, enjoy the Open!

Uh oh, looks like the golf god got Rory. His poor play and temper trantrum throwing his club on 18 yesterday. I was laughing my butt off watching that.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

He's right.

Frankly professional athletes don't belong in the Olympics either.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Rory, will you watch Caroline play tennis, she also will carry Denmark's flag at the opening ceremony! Caroline said she is not afraid of zika, she has bigger balls than you!

Caroline is carrying the flag whereas Rory wasn't going to, a boxer is going to carry it. The boxer claims that was part of the reason Rory quit the Olympics.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/olympics-2016/rio-olympics-accommodation-makes-australias-biggest-stars-nervous/news-story/ab7757102e16eab25692888a7e4975a2

Sneak peak at the "luxurious" Olympic Village. Hah, what a rat hole.

Surprised that Bogut doesn't stay in a 5 star hotel, or pay for the whole basketball team to do so, he has the $$. Maybe the AUS officials wouldn't let him??

I wonder if any of the golfers will slum it in the village. My guess would be no unless they succumb to media pressure/narrative of "spoiled golfers".

I do find it hard to warm to this guy when he comes out with some stuff like this.

I am guessing he has a group of yes men surrounding him that let these sort of comments slide.

Needs to drop them if I am right and get real. Not wanting to play the Olympics and then dissing it because he is not there is not cool.

Sorry Rory fans, but I see it that way.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Every time I see the "get real" comment I wonder which is more "real", a one-off Olympics event or pursuing major championships. For my part Rory's accomplishments are far more "real" than winning a medal in a weak-field event outside the normal career of a Tour golfer.

Rory's Florida home is located in Jupiter, I believe. That's not too far up the coast from Miami-Dade county, where they just discovered the first possible locally transmitted case of Zika. How does North Dakota look for the next few months, Rory?

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/florida-investigating-possible-first-case-zika-mosquitoes/

The difference between risking Zika by living in Florida versus visiting Brazil is like the difference between getting food poisoning at a restaurant versus drinking out of the toilet. You can't reduce your risk of *anything* to zero but that doesn't mean you take risks that are idiotic.

His honesty relative to his peers and most other people with an audience is exactly what warms him to me.

Exactly. The body snatchers will get to him eventually but for now he doesn't have a twitchy 90-second "preshot routine" and he doesn't speak in focus group approved sound bites. Not a big fan of the club-throwing and -breaking but I'll take the whole package, thank you very much.