Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

Oh boy Rory is now officially on my hate list now. The goddman little *****. What a tool.

That entire interview pissed me off. Then I watched Faherty on the Big 3, and in during the PGA in 2014 he was bashing on Phil and Ricky because they high fived on one hole, good sportmanship type thing. That pissed me off with his comments there too.

You know why little guys like that lift weights and got muscles, because they are compensating for the little guy.

I hope he misses the cut and shoots a big number this week.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory McIlroy on skipping Olympics: "I didn't get into golf to try and grow the game. I got into golf to win championships and win majors."

Ouch!

From his perspective ... the game does not require growing. All the top pros see is more money and fame. If you asked a journeyman playing to keep his card or those in the business of golf ... the perspective would be different.

Regardless .... he probably should have chosen better words. Maybe Bubba was coaching him. :stink:

Glad he spoke his mind on this and other subjects - wish more of these guys would do the same.

I'll choose just about any Olympic track and field even, even Steeple Chase, over Olympic golf

IMO - Golf does not need the Olympics and the Olympics do not need Golf. Not sure why people think the game is going to grow because its an Olympic event. It's just another stroke play tournament

Imagine a time when no one was interested in playing Augusta?

http://www.augusta.c...onals-greatness

Turns of history led up to National's greatness

Roberts' ambitious plans to build two golf courses (one for ladies), squash and tennis courts and bridle paths had to be pared down when he couldn't attract the proposed 1,800 members even at the enticing price: a $350 initiation fee, plus dues of $60 a year and $15 extra for wives and children. In the three years before the first Masters was played, only 76 members were on board.

THE CLUB WAS SO broke by 1933 -- "the Augusta National is embarrassed" Roberts wrote in a letter to creditors -- that it couldn't even pay Augusta Grocery Co. for its toilet paper.

Yet Roberts and Jones persevered and built the course in the middle of the Depression. Their biggest hope was to attract the first U.S. Open or U.S. Amateur to be played in the South. When the USGA rejected their overtures, Roberts decided to create their own tournament to help showcase the club and raise essential funds.

In a letter to Alfred Bourne, the heir to the Singer Sewing fortune, Roberts said the club didn't need the U.S. Open because "the tournament we are planning will do a great deal more for our club, especially since it would be a regular annual event."

Thus in 1934 the Masters was born. It survived bankruptcy after the second installment and continued after World War II because the club still needed the gate receipts.

IT'S HARD TO FATHOM it not existing. It's even harder to imagine what major championship golf today would be like if the Masters never existed.

Oh boy Rory is now officially on my hate list now. The goddman little *****. What a tool.

That entire interview pissed me off. Then I watched Faherty on the Big 3, and in during the PGA in 2014 he was bashing on Phil and Ricky because they high fived on one hole, good sportmanship type thing. That pissed me off with his comments there too.

You know why little guys like that lift weights and got muscles, because they are compensating for the little guy.

I hope he misses the cut and shoots a big number this week.

Just when you think the takes can't get any hotter....

Like some other sports that have ended up there, golf doesn't belong in the Olympics. Plus, with the Golf seasons heavy scheduling in the summer (maybe they should change the Ryder Cup rota now? lol) it's never going to work.

Was Rory alluding to this? ; maybe, maybe not, but whatever, good on him for being honest, and not an 'a** licker' .

Watched the whole thing. Rory was thoughtful, honest. No problems with his decision or his take on the Olympics. Golf grows when great golfers play great golf. And when hacks like me invite people to play, introduce them to the traditions of the game, and play like it means something.

I don't think the Olympics "fit" golf. The O used to be a test of amateur skill and ability. No more. And without a team component, hard to care about potential golf "Olympians."

Rory owes golf nothing except to play it as well as he can.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

kind of on a side note. i know golf has not been in the olympics for a long time and we do not view it like that kind of sport. but after the gold medal is given to the best golfer you wonder who that has withdrew from the olympics will regret they did. i mean how cool would it be to be there. lets just say fowler wins the gold, now he is walking around being called an olympic gold medalist, i am sorry, how cool would that be. would jordan, rory regret their choice. now i am not wanting to argue just throwing ideas. in my stupid opinion it does seem like rory lacks the heart sometimes.

kind of on a side note. i know golf has not been in the olympics for a long time and we do not view it like that kind of sport. but after the gold medal is given to the best golfer you wonder who that has withdrew from the olympics will regret they did. i mean how cool would it be to be there. lets just say fowler wins the gold, now he is walking around being called an olympic gold medalist, i am sorry, how cool would that be. would jordan, rory regret their choice. now i am not wanting to argue just throwing ideas. in my stupid opinion it does seem like rory lacks the heart sometimes.

That's the thing though. It's hardly like being one of the track and field medalists. If it was me, I woudn't feel the buzz.

I'll bet none of them regret it a single bit and will never think about it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Doesn't everyone get into golf to win championships and make money? Playing in the Olympics is about representing your country and pride. That matters to some people, not so much to others. I don't fault the man for skipping. He's a 20 something with his whole life ahead of him and we don't know much about Zika or what kind of safety issues may arise at Rio. From what I read, it's going to be a complete cluster.

He just comes off poorly in my opinion by this statement. Just because golf wasn't an event 20, 30 or 100 years ago doesn't mean it's not important. Olympic events come and go anymore.

Quick, name the last, and reigning, men's Olympic golf champion, Obviously winning an Olympic gold medal in golf immortalizes you.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Rory: I'm pulling out of the Olympics because of concerns for Zika

Golf WRX: LIAR!!! You just don't want to show up and play in the tourney. Don't lie, tell us how you really feel!!!!!

Rory: Olympic golf is stupid, and it's ridiculous to think that Olympic golf on a course they just created in a place PGA professionals will never go again will "grow the sport". Golf has major championships, and that's what I'm into

Golf WRX: What a jerk! What a tool! He hates golf and is only in it for the money. (p.s.-Nike sucks!)

That about cover it? Can we move on to discussing the Open? We've talked more about an event that none of us are going to even watch than the rest of the years best tournaments.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

What a load of BS, just lost a lot of respect for Rors.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

I lost respect for Rory a long time ago. He first sold out to Nike which I can look away at. But his liberal views and comments have become very ignorant. Kid should have went to East Tennessee State because he isn't very smart. Guess you don't have to be when you make that much money.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

I lost respect for Rory a long time ago. He first sold out to Nike which I can look away at. But his liberal views and comments have become very ignorant. Kid should have went to East Tennessee State because he isn't very smart. Guess you don't have to be when you make that much money.

Right on queue!

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

I lost respect for him when he sold out to Titleist.

Golf WRX: LIAR!!! You just don't want to show up and play in the tourney. Don't lie, tell us how you really feel!!!!!

Rory: Olympic golf is stupid, and it's ridiculous to think that Olympic golf on a course they just created in a place PGA professionals will never go again will "grow the sport". Golf has major championships, and that's what I'm into

Golf WRX: What a jerk! What a tool! He hates golf and is only in it for the money. (p.s.-Nike sucks!)

That about cover it? Can we move on to discussing the Open? We've talked more about an event that none of us are going to even watch than the rest of the years best tournaments.

No, many people here think Golf and Olympics don't go, and Rory just saying he won't be watching the Golf during the Olympics.

Pretty simple.

This just in...Svetlana Alexandrov of the USSR just withdrew from the women's Olympic hammer throw citing concerns over the impact of Zika on her potential future children. Personally, I think it's because she is directionally challenged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJ4dbgXC5M

I'd imagine the testosterone and growing of male genitals would be a bigger barrier to having kids.

Ha! That was good.

But your parting thought is telling. If we are talking this much about the Olympics, maybe it is (or might have been) a great tournament. How could it not be?

*If* all these guys didn't wimp out, it would have be a very high quality field. Plus the fact that, and I know many disagree, the Olympics is just a very cool time.

I'll bet none of them regret it a single bit and will never think about it.

I disagree. They have all made their decision to pull out and are probably happy with that decision, but that doesn't mean there won't be some pangs of regret when they see the gold medal presented, or the opening ceremony. There is no doubt that regardless of the the importance or otherwise of golf at the Olympics, the Olympics is a special event that would provide treasured memories for anybody lucky enough to take part.

Why would any professional athlete want to pull out?

Signed,

Evander Holyfield, Shawn Kemp, Willis McGahee, Antonio Cromartie, Travis Henry, and Calvin Murphy

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Quick, name the last, and reigning, men's Olympic golf champion, Obviously winning an Olympic gold medal in golf immortalizes you.

Honestly haven't looked it up and don't know the name, but I think he was from Canada?

I don't know either but he was a Canadian(which I saw on the news here last week). That Olympic gold medal certainly cemented his legacy.