Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

What a load of BS, just lost a lot of respect for Rors.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

I lost respect for Rory a long time ago. He first sold out to Nike which I can look away at. But his liberal views and comments have become very ignorant. Kid should have went to East Tennessee State because he isn't very smart. Guess you don't have to be when you make that much money.

liberal

ˈlɪb(ə)r(ə)l/

adjective

adjective: liberal

willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

Those damn idiots respectful of others!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole growing the game thing is getting annoying in a way.

As others have likely noted, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Tiger, Phil - none of these superstars got into golf with any idea or goal of growing the game. The game benefitted from its stars and their impact, some of them took the mantle at some point on their own and were financially able to do things (not necessarily golf related) that were or are charitable works, Palmer and Nicklaus as time went on became ambassadors/cup captains/all that stuff. But the whole "growing the game" is a pretty recent mantra and some people act like it's an indispensable religion whenever a professional says or does something the believe violate its tenets. People complaining about McIlroy ignore what he's already done, in part, to impact golf and others in golf and likely have done little or nothing to "grow the game" themselves, unless you count posts on internet forums.

USGA, R&A, PGA of America, heck even Augusta National - there are your folks "charged" with growing the game - part of the mission of the first three. It's not the mission of tour players (yes I know there is that thing called "The Tour"), that doesn't mean their performance and talents can't help or that they shouldn't be involved if they want to be and on and on.

McIlroy doesn't want the responsibility imposed upon him that somehow he is charged with developing and shepherding the future of golf, don't blame him one bit. I get where he is coming from. Jack Nicklaus wasn't having that "big picture" kind of stuff thrust upon him in his early 20s. McIlroy wants to get his game in order and go win majors, he can "grow the game" when he feels it fits in with his goals, if it ever does - and yes, there are things he does already.

Could he be more artful in talking around some of this? Yes. But, he apparently doesn't run everything past agent/lawyer/PR advisor before speaking his mind and good for him.

He'll be man enough to say it, and probably man enough to take the consequences, but I don't see the huge issue in context with what he said at all.

Who cares?!?!?! He's absolutely right! No body gives a rats @ss about watching golf in the Olympics. You honestly think the game is going to "grow" because all of a sudden golf is an Olympic sport?? NO! Golf is probably the 2nd or 3rd most global sport there is. If you really want to "grow" the game make it more affordable. Do you honestly think Average Joe couch guy is going to watch 5 hours of golf or Track & Field, Swimming, or Basketball??? Get a clue!!

Lets be honest here, it's not like "grow the game" refers to an altruistic movement like raising awareness against the spread of disease or the advancement of civil rights. The people who jabber on about the need for the game to grow are those who profit (monetarily) from the game of golf.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

He's also probably thinking there is always Tokyo 2020, and if there are pangs of regret he'll participate then.

I think he'll participate then regret or no regret.

Who knows what will be going on in 4 years?

And imagine the questions for Rory by the Japanese media?

"Rory, you and Hideki both withdraw from Olympics in Rio for Zika. You also say that Olympics do not matter for golf. So, why are you playing? And also, why do you think Hideki is playing?"

He sounds bitter and taking a swipe at golfers who decided to go - Partick Reed? Rory is an insecure idiot. Much bigger and more well known pro sports stars like Roger Federer and Serena have gone on to represent their respective countries at the Olympics. Who does this idiot think he is? He should be banned from further olympics. Ireland winning a gold at the Olympics carries more weight than any major Rory can win - This is a fact!

So sod off Rory!!

We all say the same thing. I mean, Curling in the winter Olympics is basically a walking punchline. So are some of the excessive summer game sports. I think golf is a good addition - i just think it's a horrible first venue. Rory plays golf for a living - i'm sure the last thing he wants to do is watch more golf. You can ask any pro golfer and half of them will admit - they get burnt out on the game. Some of them will straight up say they don't have fun playing golf. It's natural.

He sounds bitter and taking a swipe at golfers who decided to go - Partick Reed? Rory is an insecure idiot. Much bigger and more well known pro sports stars like Roger Federer and Serena have gone on to represent their respective countries at the Olympics. Who does this idiot think he is? He should be banned from further olympics. Ireland winning a gold at the Olympics carries more weight than any major Rory can win - This is a fact!

So sod off Rory!!

Think you have facts and opinions mixed up. Easy enough done.

Yes views from a bunch insular golf fans yoopie doo!

Indeed. Just look at that one telling him to sod off.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I don't think he went far enough in his criticism. Golf has no business being the Olympics, which he pointed out, but missed an opportunity to point out the Olympics have no business being in Rio. No one really cares about Zika (the smart people know the transmission risk is quite small and that can be further mitigated with precautions), but they are worried about being robbed or being subject to violence, not a trivial concern when you're one of the most monied athletes there. The synchronized swimmers and javelin throwers aren't going to be held up at gunpoint but one of the most visible athletes on the planet could be forgiven for thinking their attendance necessitates a Ranger division just for security. And this doesn't even mention the environmental disaster that is Rio - anyone else read that the water hazards on the course are basically human waste dumping grounds? The place is a shlthole and had no business being awarded the games. Everyone will go to Tokyo in 2020 because they actually have the infrastructure and wealth to pull of the games (even if it's a unwise municipal investment). Rio is skating by on the reputation and fanfare of the games so hats off to McIlroy for throwing a bit of reality on the situation.

which one do you prefer?

1) a hypocrisy & greedy jerk who pretends to be be nice and say politically correct things on media

2) a jerk who can't hide his emotion and easily speak up what he really thinks without recognizing the consequences

i think this country loves 1) and hates 2).

It's not like 1 spent the past year doing a shedload of promos for his corporate clients and the IOC itself though is it? Oh wait, I got opposites mixed up again. Yes. Yes #1 did do a lot of that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Can't agree with Rors on this one.. I am a big fan of him, and my disagreement doesn't come from any stance of political correctness.. I don't think I say anything in a day that'd be considered politically correct.

However, it was a very self centered thing for him to say. Things that make the greats of the game great are because of what they have done off the course for the game as well, and he blatantly said he isn't interested in that. That being said, he also was quoted saying that he didn't care about the $10M purse for the Fed Ex cup, he just wanted to win it.

Saying it doesn't matter was a bit shallow, IMO. It doesn't matter to HIM, but to some guys out there, it is the opportunity of a life time and something they are proud of, and to hear one of the games greats say that it doesn't matter kinda defeats any pride or sense of accomplishment they might have.

He has a duty as a role model to grow the game. I'm sure that, or at least hope, that it was really just in context of the olympics, but saying he isn't interested in growing the game was a crappy thing to say, especially when so many other tour pros put a lot of time and money into growing the game, and his statement makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

Essentially he made the biggest NFL/NBA statement I've seen anyone make in golf. "I only care about one thing, and that's winning." It's necessary to be driven and want to win, but people still talk about Jack and Arnie, and only 50% of it is how great of golfers they were.

What a load of BS, just lost a lot of respect for Rors.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

I lost respect for Rory a long time ago. He first sold out to Nike which I can look away at. But his liberal views and comments have become very ignorant. Kid should have went to East Tennessee State because he isn't very smart. Guess you don't have to be when you make that much money.

liberal

ˈlɪb(ə)r(ə)l/

adjective

adjective: liberal

willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

Those damn idiots respectful of others!

That may be the definition, but that is not what a modern liberal is.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. Mark Twain

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That may be the definition, but that is not what a modern liberal is.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. Mark Twain

That was awesome of you to provide us a perfect example quote to go along with the Twain axiom.

F.T.

Wonder if all the Brandel "he tells it like it is" Chamlee fans agree with him here>

http://www.golfdiges...-at-royal-troon

Brandel Chamblee torches Rory McIlroy for "insults" towards golf, Olympics at Royal Troon

"I think it's likely that, at the end of his career, he'll regret that moment more than any other moment in the history of his career," Chamblee said. "It is an insult to everyone who goes and plays in the Olympics."

Chamblee was far from finished, lambasting McIlroy for his perceived insensitive, careless comments.

"Initially, when he choose not to do that (play in the Olympics) he cited the Zika virus, but in effect today, he said I'm not going, I'm not playing, I'm not watching because it doesn't matter," Chamblee said. "That is an insult to everybody that has spent time to further this game for its inclusion in the Olympics."

so since we all agree that pro golfers are all about the money what is going to happen when the golfer who wins gold scores some big advertising dollars with the huge gold medal wrapped around his neck holding a product. how many will all of a sudden be planning their trip to 2020 olympics. and if we are so hell bent on these pros then go back old school and only allow amateurs to play, i think that would be cool as hell.

Golf is not an Olympic sport.

Tennis is not an Olympic sport.

Baseball is no longer and should have never been an Olympic sport.

Basketball (since 1992) is not an Olympic sport.

Cycling really isn't an Olympic sport. (I was at the '84 road race and few will remember who won compared to the TdF that year)

The reason is that the winning event is not considered to be a major accomplishment. No one ever whispers that winning gold equates to a major in any of those sports.

I doubt Michael Jordon considers beating up on Angola a major accomplishment that will be handed down as folklore from generation to generation. The only thing for sure is that Herlander Coimbra can hit a golf ball better than Charles Barkley.

I really enjoy the Olympics for bringing sports that do not have a lucrative professional platform in front of the world.

John

I have no problem with Rory or anyone else rejecting an offer to participate in the Olympics or watching golf aspect. IMO, teams in the Olympics should not be fielded by professional athletes and golf should not be part of the Olympics. Golf costs way too much for what it offers viewers.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I get really irritated when people who aren't doing anything themselves decide that they can assign responsibility to other people. Maybe Rory was a bit blunt in his comments, but it isn't his responsibility to grow the game. It isn't his responsibility to play in the Olympics. It isn't his responsibility to market for people that aren't paying him to do exactly that. People make money off of the Olympics. Some of the amateur athletes, like Michael Phelps, can get rich off of endorsement deals after a successful Olympics, but the IOC and corporations that have financial investments in these games are the ones who really make the money. Yet the average Joe, who doesn't do anything to bring people in to golf, decides that because Rory is good at it, it should be his job to "grow the game."

If competing for a medal for Northern Ireland isn't something that motivates Rory, so be it. He got into golf to win major championships, reach number one in the world, and make a lot of money for himself and his family. Who are we, or anyone else to criticize him for that? What are we personally doing to grow the game? Why is it that because he's good at golf he is automatically saddled with an extra responsibility to bring more people into the game so that the golf industry can make more money? Shouldn't it be enough for him to just go out there and do his job? If you don't care about growing the game and actively work to make that happen, who are you to criticize him for not doing the same?

Wealthy pro athletes should not even be part of the Olympics. I am still of the mind it should be an amateur only event

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Golf is not an Olympic sport.

Tennis is not an Olympic sport.

Baseball is no longer and should have never been an Olympic sport.

Basketball (since 1992) is not an Olympic sport.

Cycling really isn't an Olympic sport. (I was at the '84 road race and few will remember who won compared to the TdF that year)

The reason is that the winning event is not considered to be a major accomplishment. No one ever whispers that winning gold equates to a major in any of those sports.

I doubt Michael Jordon considers beating up on Angola a major accomplishment that will be handed down as folklore from generation to generation. The only thing for sure is that Herlander Coimbra can hit a golf ball better than Charles Barkley.

I really enjoy the Olympics for bringing sports that do not have a lucrative professional platform in front of the world.

John

Baseball is still being considered for the 2020 Olympics

I believe what he was trying to say and tripped over his tongue, was that in comparison to the traditional summer sports like the marathon, the 100 meters, the high jump and all the others, golf in the eyes of the vast populace is not very important. If so, it was poorly thought out, communicated in a worse fashion, and left the impression that:

"I'm too important to partake in such a trivial activity."

In essence, he is denigrating the decision made by his peers to participate. Chamblee was spot on in predicting he will regret his choice of words much more than the decision preceding his explanation.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft