2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

Well whether he likes it or not Rory is an ambassador for the game. And a lot of people worked very hard to get golf in the Olympics and many players are taking it seriously, so this was a slap in the face to them.

This was an opportunity for Rory, one of the game's biggest stars, to take the high road. He chose not to.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well whether he likes it or not Rory is an ambassador for the game. And a lot of people worked very hard to get golf in the Olympics and many players are taking it seriously, so this was a slap in the face to them.

This was an opportunity for Rory, one of the game's biggest stars, to take the high road. He chose not to.

Amen.

Again, to this I would say it isn't that big of a deal to the guys who could actually tee it up. The top 4 players in the world have said no. Adam Scott said no 2 years ago. The South African contingent pretty much pulled their whole team out all at once. Andy Sullivan, who was far down the list for GB pulled his name out when he had no logistical chance to make the team.

These guys do not see the olympics as a big deal and neither do I. If it was the top two players from each country going and having some sort of aggregate thing to represent the USA or gB&I as a country and not simply as an individual it would have been better.

Pride for your country in golf lies with the Ryder cup for US players. If it was any different, Tiger would play the World Cup every year he had the chance. Golf in the olympics was proposed before some of the best players in the world even turned pro, so the old regime who pushed for it have these younger players an opportunity.

I feel the opportunity is being passed on because of the venue itself, instead of the figure of the games. I doubt you'd go to Rio either, give the chance. It's not a good place right now, it's not safe, and to go play a half Word not allowed field doesn't seem too much a concern for these guys

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

It's just a bummer all the way around. Rio. Zika. Security. Rory could have done better for sure. No bank account can buy a chance to walk in the Opening/Closing Ceremonies at the Olympics. For the best to pass this up, I don't know, maybe there is more that we don't really know. With all the slamming of the kids who are the world's best golfers of today, I simply feel bad for them. It will be fascinating to watch the next few months unfold and see in the end if these decisions pan out.

It's just a bummer all the way around. Rio. Zika. Security. Rory could have done better for sure. No bank account can buy a chance to walk in the Opening/Closing Ceremonies at the Olympics. For the best to pass this up, I don't know, maybe there is more that we don't really know. With all the slamming of the kids who are the world's best golfers of today, I simply feel bad for them. It will be fascinating to watch the next few months unfold and see in the end if these decisions pan out.

But there simply isn't "more to the story". They didn't want to go for all the reasons people have spelled out in this thread and all the other Olympic threads.

We saw a frustrated, unguarded answer to the media's questions today. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes his bedside manner could have been more professional today.

Golf doesn't matter to the Olympics, the sports Rory name-checked are what the Summer Olympics should be about and "matter" within the context of the games.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm laughing that some people take Olympic golf seriously.

I am surprised that people take the Olympics seriously. It is primarily a made for TV program for non-sports fans. NBC will show more human interest garbage than actual competition. Yet people still seem to fall hook line and sinker for the faux, flag-waving, rah rah rah crap like the Cold War is still going on or something.

Do I feel bad that the lesser sports and their athletes can't stand on their own and still need to pimp themselves to the IOC for attention, yeah I do.

But golf doesn't need it. Golf is denigrated by being associated with the Olympics. Good riddance after 2020 I hope.

What nonsense. I've watched sports seriously my whole life and the Olympics has provided many if not most of the best moments. I'm not surprised you get cheesy coverage in the states but that does nothing to diminish the awesome sporting drama that the Olympics delivers like nothing else.

That said clearly there isn't much appetite for golf at the Olympics amongst the top players. Perhaps that will change like it did in tennis. More likely it will not. Either way both golf and the Olympics will be fine and continue to give me huge enjoyment.

What's funny to me about all this is the fact that we all hate it when people get up in front of a camera and give us a bunch of canned answers and basically say nothing. But, let somebody get up there and be brutally honest the way THEY feel about something and the media and internet forums like this bash the crap out of the person. I don't even like Rory but I like the fact that he said what he thought. I just hope he doesn't come back now and apologize for what he said.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

What's funny to me about all this is the fact that we all hate it when people get up in front of a camera and give us a bunch of canned answers and basically say nothing. But, let somebody get up there and be brutally honest the way THEY feel about something and the media and internet forums like this bash the crap out of the person. I don't even like Rory but I like the fact that he said what he thought. I just hope he doesn't come back now and apologize for what he said.

He will apologize. And there's nothing wrong with wanting him to give answers from the heart that just happen to align with exactly the way I feel.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Great example of the difference between "The Greatest Generation" (Arnold Palmer), and the Millenials (Rory). Doesn't care about the growth of the game? Glad Arny, Jack, and Gary were not that self centered! :angry:

LMAO! You really think Arnie did it all for the love of the game?

You really think Arnold did nothing to grow the game? LMAO!

Uh, no.

Uh, well I never said he did "everything" to grow the game... I am sure he was concerned primarily with his success BUT he knew how to conduct himself and speak in a way that would benefit and grow the game... And even IF Arnie really didn't give a s*** about growing the game, he had enough respect to understand his place and role.

I am a huge fan or Rory and the comments he made yesterday do not bother me at all! In the world today we deal with all this political correctness BS. Being a guy who speaks his mind without caring if people get butthurt, I actually applaud Rory for having the kahunas to speak his mind with no fliter. The media today basically stalks any high profile athlete, but then when one decides to be brutally honest about the questions they are being asked hell freezes over.

Kudos to Mr. McIlroy!!

People act as if "growing the game" is some sort of humanitarian accomplishment. What a load of shlt!! The only reason to "grow the game" is to make certain interests money.

Golf is fine without acting like we're all in some way making the world a better place by offering our leisure activity to the masses.

Boom! Exactly.

I applaud Rory for his honesty.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

To me, the only people that need to grow the game are equipment companies and golf course architects. They benefit from more players buying their products. So in this case, Rory's only obligation is to Nike. Because they pay him as a representative of their company.

People act as if "growing the game" is some sort of humanitarian accomplishment. What a load of shlt!! The only reason to "grow the game" is to make certain interests money.

Golf is fine without acting like we're all in some way making the world a better place by offering our leisure activity to the masses.

It's not like golf in the Olympics is helping 3rd world countries with feeding their people! This is all about expanding a market. Nothing else.

Wish we were allowed more than 1 like.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

To all those who have offered the point that "Jack/Arnie/et al didn't get into golf to grow the game either", I agree with you. I doubt any young man playing the game thinks "Despite how successful my career may be, I really just want to grow the game... but I guess the money would be nice too."

However at some point, once you've notched a few majors and cemented your HOF induction, you may begin to realize that the game is bigger than you and that it has afforded you a great opportunity to effect real change in the world (which Rory has attempted to do by creating his own foundation as well as numerous other charitable endeavors I'm sure he participates in, and I applaud him for that). I don't doubt that Rory's comments were pointed at the IOC or whoever else has given the players the impression that their participation in the Olympics is mandatory to grow the game. That's fine if he disagrees with that, but at what point does "speaking your mind" cross over into classless snark? I suppose that's what disappoints me the most in the situation - not necessarily the content of the statement, but the way in which he handled it. You know, the whole "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."

If he doesn't want to grow the game that's fine... he should probably focus a little more on growing up.

Think it's difficult to say anything before the games actually gets under way. A lot of sports gets added to the olympics, some will be liked and some not. I am not sure about how I feel, if I will be watching. Probably I will, and maybe Rory will look after all, at least if Ireland does well. If it turns out that it is a success concept after all, I guess the RC will have to be moved to odd years after all.

Regarding what Rory said, I like the part that he is in it for the tournaments, not to be some kind of ambassador. He conducts himself very well on the course, thats all the ambassadoring he need to do. If he watches golf or not, couldn't care less, It's hisp business

I think the top players would grit their teeth and go if not for the unique circumstances in Rio. The safety concerns and zika threat probably put it over the top. If this was London 2012 and the golf was being played at Wentworth I bet they would all be going.

And as far as Rory's comments go, I have no problem with athletes being honest. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. He grows the game merely by being a famous player who wins a lot. The guys who really grew the game Arnie, Jack, Tiger. Did it by winning a lot. None of them ever played one hole of Olympic golf.

I think the top players would grit their teeth and go if not for the unique circumstances in Rio. The safety concerns and zika threat probably put it over the top. If this was London 2012 and the golf was being played at Wentworth I bet they would all be going.

Maybe, but don't they all hate Wentworth?

I suspect that Tokyo 2020 will see much better participation.

@Hankshank - Do you really think that they would move the Ryder Cup to accommodate the lowly Olympics?

And as far as Rory's comments go, I have no problem with athletes being honest. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. He grows the game merely by being a famous player who wins a lot. The guys who really grew the game Arnie, Jack, Tiger. Did it by winning a lot. None of them ever played one hole of Olympic golf.

Agree. Rory's best and most effective way to "grow the game" would be to rip off 3 of the next 6 majors. Not screw around with the silly Olympics. Also not sure the game needs to be grown, unless you are a golf journalist, equipment manufacturer, or course operator, all with vested financial interests.

My comments from another thread:

I'm not a fan of Chamblee. He comes off as arrogant and cocky with nothing to really back up that kind of attitude.

However it's not hard to be a least a little critical of what Rors said and how he said it. First let me say I like his honesty and straight forwardness in his statement, but the tone, disdain, and attitude in which he said it. I think he will regret in time. I agree most golfers don't get into the game to "grow the sport" Tiger didn't, Jack didn't, Arnie didn't but the game grew because of their play and charisma. The same thing may be said of this current crop of stars. What Rors has to realize is as one of the "faces" of golf he in some way has to help drive that machine of "growing the sport". I think for the most part he has, but to make comments like that with the disdain he did, and then say how much he loved being at the autograph tent, it just doesn't hold water. I just think he is tired of being asked and bashed about the Olympics, like many of them are, and rightfully so, and let his emotions just get the better of him. Hopefully he'll learn from it and move on to better things.

Personally I think Olympic golf is a joke. I just don't see it working in the modern way the Tours are currently set up. We can see from the schedule the Tour put out that they aren't really 100% behind it. The only thing that can help Olympic golf is if someone like Sergio or Fowler were to win. Then that would open up the discussion on where it would rank on the level of quality win.

As someone whose career has brought a fair amount of international travel, it's very difficult on your body clock if you haven't done it, regardless of your age.

To go from the Texas to Scotland is about 10 hours of flight time, then you work for 4-6 days and then fly back to the states with another 11 hours of flight time with the additional hours because of the headwinds, spend a week at home, then go to Rio, which is another 12 hour flight and a 2 hour difference, work 4-6 days and then fly another 12 hours home and oh by the way, have some really important work ahead of you when you come back from that trip is just difficult.

Sure, flying private makes it a bit easier but there is a lot of wear and tear on your body. In Spieth's case, he did this earlier this year and it messed him up for a while.

http://golfweek.com/...ts-justin-rose/

Tait: Rory McIlroy needs long chat with Justin Rose after selfish comments at British Open

Rose countered Rory’s “I didn’t get into golf to try to grow the game” message by saying: “I’ve received a lot of help from many different organizations within the game, and it doesn’t take much to give back in certain ways. I always try to do my fair share. There are times in your career where you know you need to be single-minded and maybe there are times of your career where it’s time to give back, and that time might be right now.

“The best way you can give back to the game is to be a positive role model in terms of how you go about competing and the temperament you show. Then if you can give back on top of that by time, effort, campaigns, money, whatever it might be, then that’s a bonus.”

Hear, hear!

What was surprising about McIlroy’s Tuesday outburst was that it seemed completely out of character. Back in 2014, he said: “I feel like I have a responsibility to grow the game, as part of a group of players who can spread this game throughout the world.”

Interesting that a few months ago Rory said he had a responsibility to grow the game and the best golfers need to go to Rio to give credence to golf in the Olympics. Why did he change? Just being called the Ringo of the big four a few seconds before?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Another point - while it is true that golf course owners/operators, equipment manufacturers, and any and all other parties that have a direct financial connection to golf certainly have a vested interest in furthering proliferation of the sport, do you, as a player, not see the indirect effect of shriveling participation? Fewer players means courses have to close because they can't break even on operations, less equipment is sold so some manufacturers have to close or sell at a fire sale to larger OEM's.

Both cases represent less competition in the marketplace, meaning prices will rise. Will the decrease in demand offset this? Debatable. I know I will still be playing though.

Growing the game is in the best interest of everyone tied to the sport. If you don't see the value of one person doing so (especially one with a global platform like Rory), that's fine; I suppose one person doesn't really make a difference... until everyone, or at least a critical mass, begins to think that way and eventually the wheels stop.