Best Golf Memory

Medic

We all love the game. And we've all got them. Was hoping that some members here might share some of their greatest memories of this awesome game.

For me....

My wife is a new golfer and really gets frustrated at times because for every one of my shots she is taking two or three. About a year or so ago we were playing an executive course not far away and she hit an awesome shot onto the green only a couple of feet away from the pin. The look on her face as she took her ball out of the hole having made a "legit birdie" spoke volumes. But, as if this wasn't enough to get her hooked, on the very next hole (another par 3) she pulled her tee shot into some nasty sand. Cheering her on I said "Just get it out on hopefully on."

She hit it on - and in. Another birdie.

She came running out of the bunker fist bumping and yelling. The funny thing was when she asked if she could just take the ball out or did she need to take the pin out first.

We have been together for nearly 30 years. In that time we, like all couples, have had some ups and downs and have been through a lot. You can't love someone as much as I love her and not feel something really awesome when you see the incredible level of joy on her face and in her reactions to those two shots. For me, in all of the years I have been playing, it's a highlight.

And yes, she is still hooked. Every time she goes into the sand she mentions that she is overdue for another shot into the hole from there.

Ok, that's mine. Hoping that others here also have some great memories they are willing to share.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really neat topic - I'll play along

So growing up, I was always intrigued by golf. I just never got a chance to play because we grew up on a ranch 40+ miles from the nearest town (that town had less than 2,000 people but did have a golf course). Every once in a while, my brother and I would sneak the 9iron and PW out of my dads old set of Wilson's and go smack a couple of Slazenger balls around in the yard. My older brother was our fathers "pride and joy", so eventually he scored himself a set of Mizuno irons and Nike woods, while I continued to stare longingly and play with the old beat up PW.

Finally, when I was about 5th grade - my dad bought me a set of irons that one of the local pro's made - I think he paid $125 for the full set 4-PW brand new. No woods, no putter - just a set of irons for me to practice with. On the day he was going to surprise me w/ the irons, he offered that I could ride along with him to his Wednesday night golf league. We got to the second hole, a par 3 that plays around 130-135 yards. He pulls this set of irons out and gives them to me. I was as wide eyed as you could be in front of 6 or 7 30-somethings. I proceeded to take out my 5 iron, swing for the fences, and knock the ball to less than 6" from the cup. Everyone was cheering and high fiving me. On the next hole, he let me hit a shot in from approximately 120 yards - I pulled 7 iron and one hopped it into the hole! My dad put his arm around me and said "I always knew there would be something we'd love doing together!"

Probably our best moment to this day, 22 years later I still remember everything about watching those two shots in the air.

This is a really neat topic - I'll play along

So growing up, I was always intrigued by golf. I just never got a chance to play because we grew up on a ranch 40+ miles from the nearest town (that town had less than 2,000 people but did have a golf course). Every once in a while, my brother and I would sneak the 9iron and PW out of my dads old set of Wilson's and go smack a couple of Slazenger balls around in the yard. My older brother was our fathers "pride and joy", so eventually he scored himself a set of Mizuno irons and Nike woods, while I continued to stare longingly and play with the old beat up PW.

Finally, when I was about 5th grade - my dad bought me a set of irons that one of the local pro's made - I think he paid $125 for the full set 4-PW brand new. No woods, no putter - just a set of irons for me to practice with. On the day he was going to surprise me w/ the irons, he offered that I could ride along with him to his Wednesday night golf league. We got to the second hole, a par 3 that plays around 130-135 yards. He pulls this set of irons out and gives them to me. I was as wide eyed as you could be in front of 6 or 7 30-somethings. I proceeded to take out my 5 iron, swing for the fences, and knock the ball to less than 6" from the cup. Everyone was cheering and high fiving me. On the next hole, he let me hit a shot in from approximately 120 yards - I pulled 7 iron and one hopped it into the hole! My dad put his arm around me and said "I always knew there would be something we'd love doing together!"

Probably our best moment to this day, 22 years later I still remember everything about watching those two shots in the air.

Awesome - thanks for sharing.

Could not help but wonder if, by some remarkable chance, you still have those irons tucked away somewhere. I cannot imagine how the memories would flood in for you if you once again held them.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

all the rounds i've played with my daughter!

her first birdie, a 30-footer on a par 3...i watched from a bunker...

the time she had me on the front...i had issues with trees, lol...

also, the time i pressed my brother, 130 out, with $80 on the line...felt like i was on tour! amazing pressure and feeling...very exciting! pulled the approach into a bunker left...expensive, but worth it...

In highschool and college I used to work at a course. One summer I killed myself playing golf and practicing. I lived at the course. One evening I felt at peace... Very calm and happy...whatever that means. Went out to play 9 holes. First hole par 5 ripped a drive, 6 iron into within 5 ft, eagle, next hole par, third hole drove the green and drained a 50 footer for eagle, next hole par 4 i bogeyed, 5th hole another par 5 birdie, hole 6 par 3 a 185 yard par 3.. Hit 8 iron behind pin and spun it back to within 4 ft I missed the birdie putt, hole 7 almost holed my approach from fairway made another birdie, hole 8 par 3 155 yards made par and hole 9 hardest hole on course made birdie.

Shot a 6 under 30.... No one was around... And the sun was setting so I couldn't get the back 9 in. That is my best memory... The one evening where everything came together. I have never had it happen again!

Dad and I out for nine holes . He's 58 and I'm 18 match play. On the par four 4th hole he puts his second shoot 2 foot from hole. I'm 100 yards back throw a wedge up lands like on his ball and disappears looks like off the green. Walk up to the green can't find my ball. Finally he goes to the flagstick and says "can't be." But yes my ball went in and one the hole with my first eagle and he proceeds to roll his birdie putt in. Who won that day I can't remember but that day the laugh he started on the 5th tee was contagious. Love that memory. Now nearly 40 years later, that day and the 5th tee with my now deceased dad laughing how he was beat on a hole that he birdied still resonates in my mind.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

The last time my dad, son and I played together. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer just a couple of weeks later and passed away a few months after that. My son always enjoyed playing golf with my dad and he uses my dad's old clubs today.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

3W- Adam’s Tight Lies

3H- Cobra F8

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges - Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58

Putter- Tour Edge HP series #1

Playing with my uncle who got me started in the game. My first (only - so far) ace. Was also the same day I asked him to be my best man at my first wedding.

That was a good day.

How many yards was it? And what iron did you hit way back then? Gotta have more info on this one. Sounds like there was a lot more "good" to that day beyond making your first ace.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Playing with my uncle who got me started in the game. My first (only - so far) ace. Was also the same day I asked him to be my best man at my first wedding.

That was a good day.

How many yards was it? And what iron did you hit way back then? Gotta have more info on this one. Sounds like there was a lot more "good" to that day beyond making your first ace.

8 iron. Score card says 170 but I doubt it was over 165 or so. 5e80982aec4062e1cf29b5d880d669c9.jpg

That's the ball.

T'was a great day, indeed.

The last time my dad, son and I played together. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer just a couple of weeks later and passed away a few months after that. My son always enjoyed playing golf with my dad and he uses my dad's old clubs today.

At a loss for words. My mom passed away in 1983 and I still miss her beyond words.

Thankfully, in your case, your Dad got to meet his grandson and vice-versa. Sadly our daughter didn't come along until 1989. I am certain Mom would have just adored her - just as your Dad loved your little guy. Those are some special clubs. Might not stay in play but I would wager they will stay in the family.

Thanks for sharing. And again my sincere condolences.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Myself,dad and my first son. It was Easter brunch 1988 at my dads club and afterward my dad said did ya bring your clubs? I panicked and said they are in my car at home. Just then I felt my wife's hand on my shoulder and she whispered they are in the trunk. I turned to look at her and she said " I thought you might need them." I replied "ya apparently they are here.. are we playing?" My dad smiled and said "you and I and my grand son...His clubs are in the pro shop" We went to the shop and the pro had made a starter set for my son as per grandpa's instruction. Best Nine holes I have EVER played.

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

When my son was born, I remember thinking I couldn't wait until he could play hockey and golf. I gave him a mini hockey stick and I swear, in one way shape or another he has played hockey everyday ever since. Golf was another matter. He didn't really pick it up until one day I took him with me to a course called "Humber Valley" in Toronto on my birthday he was 14 . I bought him a set of knock-off Callaway woods,irons and a putter. He was so happy. Until he started to try to hit them. And so it went for the next 4 years until his high school graduation. Then I bought him a new bag with a RBZ driver, King Cobra 5W, Macgregor Tourney irons, Callaway Tour Forged wedges and an Odyssey White hot #2 putter (at the time it was almost better than my bag) Couple trips to the range and then we went and played a Twilight round at Eagle's Nest. I tee'd off first on number 1 smashed one well past the fairway bunker on the left corner of the dogleg. Ailan stepped up and proceeded to absolutely tattooed his. Hits a beautiful high fade that wraps around that corner and has me by 15 yards! That was the sweetest thing for me to see because my dad never played golf, so I didn't ever get to show him how I played before he passed away....

That will be a moment I will cherish for the rest of my life. The look on his face when he realized he out drove me was indeed, priceless!

My best golf memory; going 40-33 with my dad playing in the group with me. He's always been my number 1 supporter on my journey to PGA membership and to do that with him there is priceless. Our front 9 is brutal but the back 9 is gettable so yeah that does it for me. The guy that bought me my first set of sticks seeing me break par on the back 9 at the course we both work at is something I'll never forget. Brings a tear just writing it. Without Pops I have no career. To validate that I can really play this game with him there means the world to me.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I don't have one memory I could single out over the others. When I try to think about it, it's more like a montage of images, feelings, sounds, even smells. It's shots I've hit, the feelings of hitting solid shots, conversations, silly playing (one club, going through the trees, playing #5 tee over the trees to the #3 green 40ft. below, skipping balls off the water), friends I've made, countless days in a field with a pitching wedge trying to figure out how it all worked, animals I've seen, ways my thinking about something completely different changed because of something that happened playing golf, and the first shot I ever got up in the air. 6iron, standing in mud on the bank of a creek, the ball appeared to thread the crescent moon against the twilit blue above the pink glow covering the silhouetted mountains. That's when I knew the game was for me.

first couple thoughts that come to mind......

I've been fortunate and had more than my fair share of aces even for a low cap guy, but I remember one week after I had one, we were playing and I told the buddy I was with that this is the exact same pin placement I dunked last week......I then got super lucky, hit the same shot, landing in pretty much the same place and dunked it again.

The other is of my grandfather who introduced me to the game at a young age(along with raised me), he was a pro, as well as a HS coach and athletic director at different times in his life. He got alzheimers, and I would still take him out to the course sometimes, even when it got pretty bad and we would play what we could. There was this one time he got confused out there, he was about 130 yds out and he was holding the club limp in his hand, no idea where he was or what he was doing. I pointed at the flag, and said, "gramps, hit it over there"........he did, landed just short of the pin, released a little and dropped. He didn't remember it ten minutes later but I will never forget.

lots more of course, first two that came to mind...

I've posted this before, but I think it's worth posting again. I've been playing golf now for 51 years. My wife and I are in our 60's but we are very active (ok, she's more active) and so we try to stay young. She likes to come along with me when I play sometimes, usually on a late Saturday afternoon when there aren't many people on the course. She is a runner, and also loves to walk, so I ride in the cart, she walks the course, and go's to enjoy the nature, smells the flowers looks at the bugs, etc. One time I was having a good game except for my driving, and was trying to figure it out. So I got on a tee with a pond behind it, and I was determined to hit a really great drive, and of course show off for her, because even though she doesn't play, she has always supported me playing. So I got on the tee, and finally smacked a very long drive right down the center, my best drive in a long time, I was thrilled that I got it figured out. My golf frustrations would be over, and when I turned around to see if she would be impressed, she was smiling and coming up to me with a little turtle she had found on the edge of the pond. It was like golf took the back burner to seeing the happiness on her face just being there together. I gave her a hug, and I played wonderfully well the rest of the round while she played in the ponds and smelled the pine trees. I came very close to losing her to breast cancer 21 years ago. I could have been alone that day instead....the turtle was cute too

My Dad had a short game that would rival any of the best in the world. We were playing in a tournament years ago and he had hit it left of the green in an area that was washed out and hard pan. It was just an impossible shot.I was on the green and told him he should just pick it up. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me he thought he could hole it. He take this swing that he just drops the club on the ball and it pops up high and lands on the green that is running away from him and it checks and releases to the hole. It has great speed as it hits the pin dead center and pops back on the edge of the cup. The pin was one of those steel ones if it would have been fiberglass it would have dropped. I was just amazed as I am always.

Hmm... I have two. The first hole of golf I ever played and a tournament I played earlier this year.

This is pretty unbelievable really, but it is 100% true. I never played golf until I was 21 (hardcore baseball growing up and in college) but all of my buddies did. Finally I decided to give it a try. After going to the range twice I went out to play the 9-hole university course with a couple of my buddies. I didn't have clubs and was using my best friend's sticks for the day. I bought a dozen balls at the clubhouse and away we went. Off the tee I yanked a driver left into the trees. Second shot I bladed a 5 iron and it stayed left in the trees, but advanced quite a ways. Third shot was from 120 yards and I asked him what club to use. He handed me a PW and away I went. Sure as s***, I hit a towering high cut out of the trees and the damn thing one-hopped into the hole for a birdie. I couldn't see the green so I missed the action. My buddies starting telling me how much bullxxxx it was and I still didn't know what happened. When I got out to the fairway they told me and we started a party! There were two older gents playing on the next fairway that saw it go in and joined in the excitement. Obviously I was hooked from the beginning!

A little prelude to the second story... My dad was/is a very good golfer. He placed high at state in his years of high school and was the best player at our club for a long time when I was a kid. He got fed up with the membership and quit playing all together when I was probably about 10-12 y/o. I'm 28 now, so that's 16+ years ago. I think he really just wanted to fish more walleye tournaments, but that is the story he told me. Anyways ever since I got hooked on golf 6-7 years ago I have been trying to get him out to play with me to no avail. I think he played in two scramble tournaments his company sponsored over the years, but I can't confirm that. I finally got him out to play the day before my wedding a couple years ago and I was very impressed by his game. He's just super consistent and lag putts like a mad man. His misses are either a touch fat or thin so he never gets in trouble. Since then he has talked about joining the club again each spring, but never pulled the trigger.

The club came up with a new tournament this spring. It was a "local" Member/Guest 2-man Best Ball tourney where the lowest finishing gross and net guests won a membership for the year. I talked him into playing it with me and set him up with my backup bag. He's kind of hilarious to play with because he's very competitive and gets upset because the last golf he remembers playing was lights out and it's obviously not that sharp anymore. Long story longer, I lit it up that day and made 7 birdies in 18 holes. He played well too and made quite a few pars when I was in trouble and made bogeys. He played the par 3s at even or 1 under for the day, which helps a lot in best ball. We ended up winning gross 6 shots clear of the field. So he won a membership and I got a decent chunk of change. I will cherish that day and sharing the win with him for a long time. He's slowly getting hooked again and has been playing 3-4 rounds a month. He works two full time jobs one during the day and one during the evening/night and fishes most weekends so he's super busy. I think once he slows down a bit he will play more often and I'm pretty sure he will be a member again for quite a while.

Sorry for the novel, but I had to include the details! Haha

If I had to choose one I would say the tourney with my dad is my best...

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

Mine has to be watching my father, who introduced me to this game, make his first ever ace.

He has been with me for several of mine, but in his prior 43 years of playing the game, had never made one. We were playing a twilight round at my club on a Sunday, where one of our par 3's tends to have the pin in kind of a bowl where if you go 3-4 yards long of the pin it will funnel back down to where the pin typically is. I distinctly remember it being 8:14 when we walked back to the tee because he had mentioned how nice it was that it was light so late but this also meant that we were hitting directly into the sun and couldn't see everything once it went into the air. He was playing the back tees (which are too long for him) with me that day, and hit a perfect 6 iron that flew directly over the pin at 168, hitting into the back side of the bowl, stopping and running the 2 yards down the hill and into the cup like it had been putted from up there.

Being able to see the pure joy in his face for getting his first, and currently only, ace made me happier than I had ever been with any shot or result that I have ever hit on the golf course. No longer did anything I had ever done in golf matter to me, because I was able to see the man who means so much to me and got me into this crazy game do something that he had started to think was never going to happen. The fact that it was later at night, the weather was basically perfect, and there was nobody else around so we got to joke around and laugh for all 18 holes that night made things even more memorable.

Never had a hole in one, but have had several Eagles on par 4's. Best memory was when I was playing alone behind a threesome, and they waved me through while they were on the green. I had about 145 downhill and took a PW, but my view of the flag was blocked. I struck it well and knew it was tracking nicely, when all of the sudden I heard a bunch of yelling. As I approached the green they all started applauding and yelling. Apparently it had one-hopped right into the hole. They all shook my hand and were congratulating me. I even heard them continue talking about how cool it was to witness it as I walked away.

Probably the closest thing I will ever have to a "crowd".

Winning my club's club championship. Now I know what you are thinking clearly this should be one of your top memories. This one was very cool for me though. I have played and competed in a lot of golf over the years having my father watch me play in tournaments when I was younger. He was good and always kept his distance when it came to watching me. Always ridiculed me if I made a silly mistake, but that was only fitting because he loved watching me succeed, and he did it with every sport. Sometimes I took what he had to say to heart other times I just let it go. But at the end of the day I don't think me or my father are like those car ride parents you hear about today. We got to travel and see a lot of cool courses together.

Back to my story so I qualified for our club's club championship. I am a big fan of walking, but in order to play tournament play you need to take a caddy or a cart. So the person that I would normally have caddy for me was away. So I decided to ask my dad if he wanted to caddie for me even though he never had before. It was a really fun experience having him on the bag for 5 rounds. It was also an awesome experience to win with him helping me along the way. I mean I did not ask him for much, but he definitely helped me the entire way. Towards the later rounds I felt like I was playing for him instead of myself because I knew he loved golf, but was never able to compete at a high level. The fact that I was able to have him with me while I played at a high level was very cool so I kept telling myself that if I did not win I would not be letting myself down I would be letting him down. I'll always remember that.

I had been playing with my wife for a few years and we were out on the course. I was over by the fence on the right and she had about a 50 yard pitch from the fairway. I dropped her off with her gap wedge and putter and I went looking for my ball. There was an old guy in a lawn chair just enjoying the day on the other side of the fence and I asked him if he had seen my ball. Nope. Oh well. So I keep looking. Then all of the the sudden I hear my wife yell, "Oh my God it went in!!!" I just looked over at the old man and he looked back and just shook his head. Just like the OP, I will never forget the look on her face when I finally met up with her on the green.

I met my husband while waiting out a frost delay. Bunch of people got into a putting contest and I was doing well, but didn't have enough money with me to keep going as the stakes escalated. Total stranger/future husband said he'd back me. We ended up breaking even, which he still claims is the only time I haven't cost him money.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 58* and 64*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Titleist ProV1