Best Golf Memory

Medic

I met my husband while waiting out a frost delay. Bunch of people got into a putting contest and I was doing well, but didn't have enough money with me to keep going as the stakes escalated. Total stranger/future husband said he'd back me. We ended up breaking even, which he still claims is the only time I haven't cost him money.

We have a winner! Thanks so much for sharing. Incredible! And pretty funny too. My wife calls me her liability. Wonder what that means? Lol.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite golf memory is a bit of an odd one...

I was about 10 years old, and I was looking forward to my weekly Sunday afternoon round of golf with my dad. As I lived on a farm a ways out of town, it was always the only round of golf I got to play each week, so I was excited to play. We got to the par 4 second hole, and I hit a good drive out there. With a good second shot, I'd have a chance to reach the green in 3 (I only hit the ball about 140 back then with my old 3-wood). Sure enough, I hit the ball off the toe, and into the bush. I slam my club into the ground, and utter my first swear word and....

WHAAAMM! I am smacked in the back of the head hard by my old man. He grabs me by the ear and drags my butt back to the power cart and throws me on there. Without saying a word, he drives me out to the parking lot and throws me and my clubs into the pick-up truck. He hops in too, and drives me home all the way out to the farm. He boots me out at the end of the driveway, and tells me that he has never been so embarrassed in his life. He then gets back in the truck, and drives himself back to the course to play golf without me.

Whoa. I was crushed. I couldn't play the game I love, and I disappointed my best friend in the world. The event was a big lesson for me. To this day, it was probably the best golf lesson that I have ever received. Be respectful on the golf course. You never know who may be watching and who you might disappoint if you let your emotions take over. I still rarely utter a curse word on the golf course, and I never slam or throw my clubs. I guess it may not be my very best memory, but it is the one that is clearest in my head, that has had the biggest effect on me.

Cobra King LTD Black - Hzrdus Black
Cobra King LTD Black 3-Wood - Hzrdus Black
Ping i25 19* Hybrid - Ping TFC X
Cobra 21* Utility Iron - Hzrdus Black
Ping i210 Irons 4-PW - AWT 2.0 X 
Ping Glide Stealth Wedges - 50 ss, 55 (56ss bent to 55), 60ss w/ lob combo grind
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Too many. Rounds with wife and daughters, certain rounds my oldest daughter played in competition, playing with my grandpas, playing with my dad.

Probably best right now is trip my oldest daughter and I took to The Masters last April. Just awesome.

One cool story.

When I was about 14 or so, I remember playing with one of my grandpas one summer afternoon. We were catching up to a threesome, there was a young lady in the group and he kept getting a little closer all the time. Turned out he thought I'd want a better look at a nice young girl - he was pretty quiet but had a keen sense of humor.

The big surprise that didn't sink in for a couple years, was that young lady was Nancy Lopez! She stayed with a couple in the tiny town in southeast Iowa where my grandparents lived that summer and used that as her base for playing some tournaments.

First round I played with my soon to be father-in-law, his cousin, and uncle. Beautiful autumn day In Kentucky. I was in my mid twenties, Chuck and his cousin in their mid fifties, and Uncle Eddie in his seventies.

I thought this is going to be a cakewalk playing with these old dudes. Boy, was I wrong!!! They took my money and taught me a lesson.

That was the day I knew this great game could be played and enjoyed for a lifetime.

Too many. Rounds with wife and daughters, certain rounds my oldest daughter played in competition, playing with my grandpas, playing with my dad.

Probably best right now is trip my oldest daughter and I took to The Masters last April. Just awesome.

One cool story.

When I was about 14 or so, I remember playing with one of my grandpas one summer afternoon. We were catching up to a threesome, there was a young lady in the group and he kept getting a little closer all the time. Turned out he thought I'd want a better look at a nice young girl - he was pretty quiet but had a keen sense of humor.

The big surprise that didn't sink in for a couple years, was that young lady was Nancy Lopez! She stayed with a couple in the tiny town in southeast Iowa where my grandparents lived that summer and used that as her base for playing some tournaments.

Nancy Lopez was (is???) married to a baseball player. At the time he was with the Astros and their spring training camp was in my response area. So, when they had a game, we had to provide medical coverage. This was around 1984 or so BTW.

So my pard and I take the assigned seats for the duty and low and behold none other than Nancy Lopez sits right beside me. She (and Ray) had a young daughter at the time and Nancy was approached by a group who wanted her autograph. She asked me if I could hold her daughter (I was in uniform - guess she trusted me/us) and also if she could borrow my pen. So I bounced her daughter on my knee while she used my Cross pen (a gift for finishing Paramedic) to sign a few autographs. When the crowd left she asked me if I wanted one and I declined telling her that, while I was a big fan, this was her family time and I didn't want to interrupt. I think her husband's name was Ray Knight as memory serves and during the 7th inning stretch she wondered down to chat with him. While down there she signaled me to come over - we had chatted a bit about my job, family, and such. And she introduced me to Ray. He shook my hand and smiled thanking me for taking care of their kid and we went back to our seats. Around the 8th inning she left making sure to thank me and my pard again before heading out.

She was so genuine. Really amazingly down to earth. We chatted about my mom, who had died only a year before. We chatted out station life. Golf. When a woman got beaned by a ball my pard and I kicked into action and took care of her. And when we returned Nancy was genuinely concerned about her. After assuring her that the lady was ok Nancy said she didn't get how we did the job we do. And she laughed when I said "But I am not doing it in front of a national audience - I don't understand how you do what you do."

She was just an awesome lady. I was a slight fan before that game but afterwards - huge fan. Really hadn't thought much of this little interface with her until reading your post. A little trip down memory lane.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

My Dad was a very good baseball player and came up just short of playing in the show. He was disappointed when I chose golf over baseball in high school and turned down scholarships to play small school baseball . One day he came with me for a practice round and caddied for me.

Don't really remember how I played but know that was one of the most amazing rounds ever. It's pretty much the same feeling as playing with my sons now.

I was 9 years old and didn't know a ton about the game. The hole on tv looked like a little white slit the ball fell into. One day my dad took me to the practice putting green late in the day, and I drained a 25 foot bomb and I was running across the green I was so happy.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

When my son was born, I remember thinking I couldn't wait until he could play hockey and golf. I gave him a mini hockey stick and I swear, in one way shape or another he has played hockey everyday ever since. Golf was another matter. He didn't really pick it up until one day I took him with me to a course called "Humber Valley" in Toronto on my birthday he was 14

Humber Valley !

I just played in the Humber Valley club championship this past Sat !

I have mixed emotions. I finished tied for 9 / 30 (good), but made a very dumb triple on the simple 8th hole including a badly yipped 2 foot putt for double, and an ugly double on #15 (putrid tee shot into the hazard). Also top 8 qualified for the City Championship, so I'm first alternate.

The highlight of my round though was on #18, a long (for me) ~197 par 3. I pull hooked my tee ball into the front left bunker, leaving a ~20 yard shot to the back left pin. Green was elevated ~5 feet above the bunker.

I got in the bunker, and walked up to the front of the bunker to actually "read the break" lol, as I was determined to (try) to hole out my sand shot, to try to salvage a disappointing round.

A few of my golf buddies were sitting behind the green, as I hit the shot, it came out well, I walked up the front of the bunker to see it "tracking" .... and IN !!!

The "crowd" (of ~5 people lol), went "wild", cheering and applauding. The (eventual) winner of the tourney that day (who I had just met a few weeks ago, shouted out "He's a PLAYER !"

I bowed, and give an exaggerated "Tiger fist pump".

I finished with a +7 77, on a very short course, that had double cut and rolled greens, and pins where I had not seen them all summer ! (Only half of the 30 players broke 80.... though I'm not sure if the other 1/2 had ever broken 80 ... lol (didn't know any of the players).

Even with my double, triple, and 4 other bogeys, I was / am still fairly happy with the round, as this year is my first real season of playing after a long layoff (~10 years).

I worked in the golf business for 5 years out of high school, getting my game into a low single digit hdcp, and maintained a ~6 even after leaving the golf business and working 9-5.

But this year, without a car, I have only been to the range 3 times, and have only been playing HV, about every 2 weeks. The "rust" has gradually started to come off my game, but my shaky ball striking reared it's ugly head on #14,#15, #16, three of the hardest holes at HV.

So a +7 on a "once-a-year-tough-setup-course" in tourney conditions is something I'll remember.

We all love the game. And we've all got them. Was hoping that some members here might share some of their greatest memories of this awesome game.

For me....

My wife is a new golfer and really gets frustrated at times because for every one of my shots she is taking two or three. About a year or so ago we were playing an executive course not far away and she hit an awesome shot onto the green only a couple of feet away from the pin. The look on her face as she took her ball out of the hole having made a "legit birdie" spoke volumes. But, as if this wasn't enough to get her hooked, on the very next hole (another par 3) she pulled her tee shot into some nasty sand. Cheering her on I said "Just get it out on hopefully on."

She hit it on - and in. Another birdie.

She came running out of the bunker fist bumping and yelling. The funny thing was when she asked if she could just take the ball out or did she need to take the pin out first.

We have been together for nearly 30 years. In that time we, like all couples, have had some ups and downs and have been through a lot. You can't love someone as much as I love her and not feel something really awesome when you see the incredible level of joy on her face and in her reactions to those two shots. For me, in all of the years I have been playing, it's a highlight.

And yes, she is still hooked. Every time she goes into the sand she mentions that she is overdue for another shot into the hole from there.

Ok, that's mine. Hoping that others here also have some great memories they are willing to share.

Jeeze. I think that's my new favorite golf memory too, OP.

Girls watch the Notebook and want that kinda love.

I read your post, and that's what I want. haha.

My fondest memory is complete hindsight as I didn't start playing for 15 years or more after this: I used to go to my grandparents house for daycare when I was young (5ish).

My grandpa wanted me to play golf, and looking back, it's funny that he loved it so much as he grew up poorer than dirt till he could find a job as a railroad worker. Neither of which really afforded a guy the opportunities to be a golfer. He caddied at Keller in the glory days of the course as well, so I'm assuming that's where he got the bug.

Anyways, we would go to the driving range and it was my summer goal to hit past 100 yards. After 5-6 times going, I finally did it (baby draw of course). He was so proud. We went for ice cream, then dinner later. This was 20 years ago now, but I still remember it like yesterday.

My most fun memory: Dated a girl from the other side of the tracks that lived on a golf course (I was from the side that didn't live on golf courses.. haha) and... we studied the "facts of life" together. I didn't golf at the time still, but once I started, it all came together.

Funniest: A buddy of mine was playing very poorly a few weeks back, and after his probably 30th poor shot in a row he yells "Jesus C...." and strung it out with a couple more words. He didn't realize this older gentleman who was probably 30-40 yards away. The older guy comes up and goes "Hey! You Talkin about the late, great, J.C.??, Thats great! Spread the word!".

I thought I was gonna die from lack of oxygen I was laughing so dang hard.

First trip to Pebble Beach. I decided to play Spyglass when I was able to get a last minute tee time. I drove down from SF the morning of and didn't have much time to warm up. I managed to hit maybe the best high draw of my life off #1 tee. That shot was perfection for me and I'll never forget it. I even got a pic

I've told it before I like it so much.

I lost a playoff for my towns men's open as a 17 year old junior. Took a college golfer to the 2nd playoff hole but missed a short putt. At the time the only junior allowed in was the previous junior club champ so It was an honor just to get invited.

My dad caddied for the playoff as he had also played in the tournament and was around and offered.

I left sad, dejected and upset after having wanted to win so bad in front of him. I'm the type of son who played to a scratch but tried so hard with dad I could shoot 80 with him in a blink. Cried to my mom like a teenager does sometimes when I got home later in the day.

My mom then told me that my dad had phoned her from the course and said it was the proudest day of his life watching me do so well and still lose with honor and hold my head high in front of the other members.

Wow, so many memories, well, let me start with the amazing courses I have been blessed to play, from Pebble to Kapalua, having the experience of my life caddying for and playing practice rounds with tour pros in the PGA, LPGA and Champions tour, to meeting some of the best people that love golf as much as I do, especially here in GolfWRX and those that I had the honor and pleasure of spending a few days with at the Gear Trials, definitely a special group that forever will be some of my closest friends. Golf has opened so many doors for me, both professionally and personally, I am a US Army Soldier and represented the Army in the World Class Athlete Program Golf division, which led to my first encounter with a PGA Pro Mr. Jim Thorpe, to my first "ACE", I truly love the game, but I still treat it as such, a game, family is always first, had an accident in Baghdad that put everything in perspective, great thread!!!!, thanks Medic (Gear Trial Brother)...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I lost a playoff for my towns men's open as a 17 year old junior. Took a college golfer to the 2nd playoff hole but missed a short putt. At the time the only junior allowed in was the previous junior club champ so It was an honor just to get invited.

My dad caddied for the playoff as he had also played in the tournament and was around and offered.

I left sad, dejected and upset after having wanted to win so bad in front of him. I'm the type of son who played to a scratch but tried so hard with dad I could shoot 80 with him in a blink. Cried to my mom like a teenager does sometimes when I got home later in the day.

My mom then told me that my dad had phoned her from the course and said it was the proudest day of his life watching me do so well and still lose with honor and hold my head high in front of the other members.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Thanks for sharing that one.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

It would have to be my hole in one even though it was on a par 3 course I'm still very proud of it. I was playing a round with a friend in late March it was early morning and it was the 8th hole 154 yards 8 iron and I never expected it I knew the shot was good and it took 2 hops and went in me and my friend just are looking at each other thinking did that just go in! Honestly I don't think I've hit that green since and before I never really played the hole well

my dad is a huge jack nicklaus fan...he was the man for my dad's generation. way back in 2005 the bank of scotland issued a commemorative jack nicklaus five pound note, there were commercials about it during the telecast of the open that year, my dad commented on how cool they were.

so i called the bank of scotland and asked how to get one. a few weeks later after i sent a money order our new pristine nicklaus note arrived in the mail. i got it framed and presented it to my dad for his birthday weeks later.

he shed a few tears on that one.

Best golfing memory was the first hole-in-one I ever witnessed - It was boxing day, and every year our family used to go out to our local muni in the evening for 9 holes as a big group of about 8 of us, no one on the course so we just played as a huge group and had a load of fun.

Anyway, my cousin (who was 8 at the time) had just got a new set of clubs for Christmas the day before, which were waaay too big for him. We got to the second par 3 of the 9 which was about 100 yards, he steps up with an 8 iron choked right down to the bottom of the grip, just flushes it, and sure enough, 2 bounces, a few feet of roll and it went in! All 8 of us are jumping around cheering and yelling and going nuts, it's lucky there wasn't anyone else on the course because no matter what hole they were on they would have heard us!!

The best part about the story is that was only the beginning for him, he's 17 now and is a +3, so it definitely spurred him on! Still my favourite memory of being on a golf course :)

getting misty in here haha. great story!

Playing my dad and 7 year old daughter. We let her tee off from 50 yards and putt out. Still in 2:30.. 18 holes.

Anyway come upon a 4 some at a 200 yard par 3. They let us play through and say you guys are moving fast so go ahead. My dad hits the ball short 60 feet from cup. He's the only one on. The 4some was decent I knew two, one was the pro from a neighboring club. It hit a pure 4I 2 feet from the cup. My daughter says "why aren't they close like you?". Everyone started laughing.

Back in the 80s. I'll never forget the perfect hole. No 4 at Sayville. I hit my persimmon driver and started the ball over the right trees and drew it back 15-20 yards to the middle of the fairway (yes, we called that a draw back then). Hit a little 9i with a 10' draw to within 2-3'. Sweet kick in birdie.

And the perfect recovery (different round and year): No 10. I was playing my draw with the ol' persimmon and hit a branch 100 yards off the tee and was about 220 or so out. Hit the most beautiful 2i with a 15' draw to within 4' and curled in the putt.

I'll never forget those 2 holes.

And my first year of playing in Texas- '91. Every round in the 70s.

I've driven greens and putted eagles, holed out for eagles, aces on the course and on practice greens, but I don't remember those as distinctly and they're a blur compared to those 2 holes 30+ years ago.

God I miss the balata ball.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn