Who knew Henrik was a lefty?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In hockey, rt handers shoot lefty and vice versa. The theory is that the dominant hand should be controlling the stick/club. I know Phil's dad taught him to play lefty for this reason.

BT

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

In hockey, rt handers shoot lefty and vice versa. The theory is that the dominant hand should be controlling the stick/club. I know Phil's dad taught him to play lefty for this reason.

BT

I thought Phil played lefty from copying his dad (right handed golfer) when he started golf at 18 months. Though he can also play right, just 3-4 strokes worse then left-handed I believe I've read somewhere. At a current handicap of +5.8 (July 15, 2016) he would smoke most with either hand.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

BT

I thought Phil played lefty from copying his dad (right handed golfer) when he started golf at 18 months. Though he can also play right, just 3-4 strokes worse then left-handed I believe I've read somewhere. At a current handicap of +5.8 (July 15, 2016) he would smoke most with either hand.

If that's the case I wonder if he ever considered putting right handed? Would love to see his right handed swing.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

BT

If that's the case I wonder if he ever considered putting right handed? Would love to see his right handed swing.

I feel like I saw him hit the green right handed on 17 at Sawgrass one year in a practice round. It was a decent swing.

BT

I feel like I saw him hit the green right handed on 17 at Sawgrass one year in a practice round. It was a decent swing.

I remember that. He and Rickie and DJ hit opposite handed. Rickie was the

only one to hit the green I think.

On Henrik's site

I noticed you write left handed, did youever try to play golf left handed?

No, it was very easy to decide which way to play golf. When I was a kid I always played hockey the same way as I swing. I think both Vijay Singh and Phil Mickelson has the same set up i.e. having their "strong" hand the furthest up on the club.

On Henrik's site

I noticed you write left handed, did youever try to play golf left handed?

No, it was very easy to decide which way to play golf. When I was a kid I always played hockey the same way as I swing. I think both Vijay Singh and Phil Mickelson has the same set up i.e. having their "strong" hand the furthest up on the club.

Never knew VJ is a lefty.

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Weir (you can probably find info about him online, B'Dum-Ching!) plays lefty for that same hockey reason.

On the Golf Channel yesterday (second round for you guys), Mike Weir was in the commentators' booth for the PGA (not sure which network's coverage it was using). Anyway, he talked a little bit about growing up as a lefty. The way he described it, he is a natural lefty, though to be sure he didn't explicitly state that. He recounted that he sent Jack Nicklaus a letter in 1982 asking whether he should try to play right-handed. I think the reason he gave was that most players are right-handed, and there were more right-handed clubs available. Anyway, the punchline (?) to the story was that Jack replied and told him to stick with what was natural to him.

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Weir (you can probably find info about him online, B'Dum-Ching!) plays lefty for that same hockey reason.

On the Golf Channel yesterday (second round for you guys), Mike Weir was in the commentators' booth for the PGA (not sure which network's coverage it was using). Anyway, he talked a little bit about growing up as a lefty. The way he described it, he is a natural lefty, though to be sure he didn't explicitly state that. He recounted that he sent Jack Nicklaus a letter in 1982 asking whether he should try to play right-handed. I think the reason he gave was that most players are right-handed, and there were more right-handed clubs available. Anyway, the punchline (?) to the story was that Jack replied and told him to stick with what was natural to him.

Huh! So, he must've played hockey from the wrong side, then? (Or, I could've just completely imagined the whole thing, the most likely possibility.)

I'm left handed and play right.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - PX Even Flow Blue 65X
Callaway Rogue Fairway - PX Even Flow Blue 75X
Callaway XForged '18 UT 21* - PX 6.5
Callaway XForged '18 4i 5i 6i - PX 6.5
Callaway Apex MB '18 7i 8i 9i PW - PX 6.5
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 52S* PX 6.0 - 56C* PX 6.0 - 60X* PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft 2018

I think this may be more common than we think (lefties playing golf righty).

This is me, and I have two other lefty friends. All of us golf righty. Most likely because our first clubs were dads hand me downs and righties were way more easy to come by.

I also batted righty when I played baseball - but that I cannot remember why I started that way.

The theory in hockey - at least one of them - is that the younger your start to play the more likely your strong hand is to grab the stick near the butt-end. If you watch a lot of guys who started later, they're dominant hand is usually the bottom hand rather than the top.

A lot of hockey players I have played golf with or watched play golf seem to play righty - regardless of how they play hockey.

I'm also mostly lefty and play right. But truthfully I'm very even handed. I can write equally sloppy with both hands at the same speed and I bat for more power in baseball as a lefty. Although I was made to play as a kid righty ..., go figure. Has a lot to do with being raised by a left handed grandmother and marrying a left handed wife . Everything in our house from the direction the handle on the tea pitcher in the fridge points to the placement of the tv remote on the couch is built for a lefty. I've wondered before if I should have played golf left handed. I'm also left eye dominant and I swear I see a putt line better from the left handed position.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 18* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw DG.X7

Artisan 53 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Huh! So, he must've played hockey from the wrong side, then? (Or, I could've just completely imagined the whole thing, the most likely possibility.)

To be honest, from what I remember he didn't explicitly state that he was a natural lefty, but the way he told the story it seemed that he started out in golf as a lefty. That still leaves the possibility that he came to golf as a lefty because that's how he played hockey (I think he said he was 10 or 11 when he started golf).

I'm also mostly lefty and play right. But truthfully I'm very even handed. I can write equally sloppy with both hands at the same speed and I bat for more power in baseball as a lefty. Although I was made to play as a kid righty ..., go figure. Has a lot to do with being raised by a left handed grandmother and marrying a left handed wife . Everything in our house from the direction the handle on the tea pitcher in the fridge points to the placement of the tv remote on the couch is built for a lefty. I've wondered before if I should have played golf left handed. I'm also left eye dominant and I swear I see a putt line better from the left handed position.

I think left eye dominance is the main thing. I do everything right handed, except for baseball, hockey, golf, and shooting. The putter feels better in my hands when I try right handed-ness, but I certainly cannot see the line at all...

To be honest, from what I remember he didn't explicitly state that he was a natural lefty, but the way he told the story it seemed that he started out in golf as a lefty. That still leaves the possibility that he came to golf as a lefty because that's how he played hockey (I think he said he was 10 or 11 when he started golf).

According to this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/golf/features/newsid_2946000/2946513.stm Weir writes right-handed.

I am right handed in everything, but grew up playing hockey left-handed and play golf left handed. I would say hockey players are split 50/50 on carrying a stick left handed or right handed. I would say that quite a few of my Canadian friends that I play with and grew up playing hockey play golf left handed as well. I many times wish I was right handed as I could try others clubs.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
Scotty Cameron Monterey

A few of the guys that I play with now grew up playing hockey and play right but are left handed as well as a few that started playing right handed due to availability of clubs for righties vs lefties. The hockey thing makes a lot of sense to me, as I played left handed but golf has always been right handed for me.