2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Sad, sad times for sure. Nike golf has always had a sweet spot for me, in spite of Tiger. I genuinely liked how they were willing to ruffle some feathers to try new things.

I heard the news on PGA tour radio, Katrek and McGuinness and every single caller had the same story...."I'm a titleist guy, Nike is junk. But I've never played their clubs and never would consider it". Sad to hear that much close mindedness and obviously a major reason why they couldnt hack it. If more people just gave them a shot, I think they'd have done very very well. Their blades are fantastic. Wedges and putters are some of the best on the market. I'll definitely be trying to find a set or two of the Vapor Pro blades on sale before they disappear.

Man, it seems to me when i look around i see a lot of Nike stuff.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly never saw much Nike Golf equipment myself through the years. It always seemed like the people decked out head to toe in Nike Swoosh and TW clothing. Nike has and will always have a loyal brand following, but not enough in golf with Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, Ping, Odyssey, Scotty Cameron, B Morgan.. etc they will continue to dominate other sports though

I've seen so many people in these Nike and Golfsmith threads in the last couple of days, giving out uneducated opinions as facts, it's scary.

Yep, it's been half entertaining, half sad.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Sad, sad times for sure. Nike golf has always had a sweet spot for me, in spite of Tiger. I genuinely liked how they were willing to ruffle some feathers to try new things.

I heard the news on PGA tour radio, Katrek and McGuinness and every single caller had the same story...."I'm a titleist guy, Nike is junk. But I've never played their clubs and never would consider it". Sad to hear that much close mindedness and obviously a major reason why they couldnt hack it. If more people just gave them a shot, I think they'd have done very very well. Their blades are fantastic. Wedges and putters are some of the best on the market. I'll definitely be trying to find a set or two of the Vapor Pro blades on sale before they disappear.

Step outside the house.

The funny thing about the square driver is first Nike wasn't the only one making them as others have said and secondly two major championships were won with square drivers.

It is funny people want innovation and improving technology but they don't want to adapt.

As TW tweeted, Nike really changed golf in that it forced the demise of the would ball. Without Nike is there ever a ProV1? Who knows.

And to innovate and improve technology takes stepping outside the box. Tried and true is not a bad thing but there is no improvement if you don't step outside the box.

Worlds about money. It makes me sick. Greedy corporations pushing people around to line the top of the food chains pockets.

Accountants calling the shots every where. Unrealistic sales targets, corporations pushing the working people to make them richer at the expense of family time.

Nike not the only offenders. So many like that.

Up the revolution!!

Business kind of has to be about making money. And people who launch and run a business should be rewarded very well for the risk they take and the effort they put in to do it. That's very much how the economy works. Nobody's come up with a more successful strategy yet.

world needs businesses yes but most get greedy and push employees around. No morals to them.

Employees should leave for something better then. They're not slaves. That's how a free market works.
a lot of employers take advantage of loyalty as you well know. Leaving is not always easy and most times you can walk in to a worse regime.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Worlds about money. It makes me sick. Greedy corporations pushing people around to line the top of the food chains pockets.

Accountants calling the shots every where. Unrealistic sales targets, corporations pushing the working people to make them richer at the expense of family time.

Nike not the only offenders. So many like that.

Up the revolution!!

Business kind of has to be about making money. And people who launch and run a business should be rewarded very well for the risk they take and the effort they put in to do it. That's very much how the economy works. Nobody's come up with a more successful strategy yet.

world needs businesses yes but most get greedy and push employees around. No morals to them.

Let me guess - you voted "remain".

you guessed correct. You win a coconut.

Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I love how everyone on here is saying Rory has tanked since he signed with Nike. What am I missing? 4 total majors, 2 w/ Titleist, 2 w/ Nike. Please, set me straight? Yes his putting stinks now. We all know the head games that come into play within golf, let alone Putting.

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to B1), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW & SW - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), DG TI S400

LW - Titleist Vokey SM8 60L, DG TI S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

Step outside the house.

+1 good one. All i am saying that round these parts nike was pretty popular. i have only owned one nike club ever. it was a driver, Nike VR pro. still have it actually.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I see a lot of 'nike golf produced an inferior product' claims in this thread. Nike Golf as a business was obviously doing something wrong, but the equipment is very solid. In no way is it inferior to any brand, and that's a simple fact.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

EA sports golf has been terrible for about 5 years.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ive read this entire thread and a few things stand out to me. First, I play mostly Nike clubs and it was a big disappointment to see the announcement. This notion that Nike clubs are garbage and unacceptable to most golfers is absolutely false. The people that are saying this are the people who have never actually given Nike clubs a shot. I game the Covert driver and hit that club very well and its the same story with the Covert irons that I have. I know many people that use Nike clubs and its a shame that they are going to stop making them. However, I think it's Nike's own fault that their sales started declining. They had the right idea of making clubs that looked visually different from your average golf club, but they took it a couple steps too far with vapor series and that combo of blue and volt that even I didn't want to touch. Its a shame that they couldn't stick around longer because I really think that they would have seen an increase in golf sales in the next 5 to 10 years, but business is business.

Second, I don't think this idea that the hard equipment market is dying is a correct one. I researched the state of the sporting goods market in depth last spring for a project and I can tell you that Nike is still by far the top manufacturer of clothing and other equipment. This change is probably good for them from a business perspective because really their clubs could never shake that perception of being inferior for some reason. Adidas is lagging far behind Nike in the current market and I don't think them trying to sell Taylormade is and indication that hard equipment is not a profitable business. Yes, the margains are not as high but that doesn't mean that companies are going to fold. Adidas needs to make changes to their business model to keep from losing market share to Under Armour and Nike and this is probably part of that. In the end these companies are not exclusively golf companies so it makes it easier for them to just drop golf products.

Lastly, I think that golf clubs in general are overpriced and I think that companies are going to have lower their prices in the future and extend their product cycles while spending less money in R&D doing so. This is really the only way they are going to get people to buy more clubs. Also, I find this notion that Rory and all the other tour pros sponsored by Nike are magically going to improve by switching companies totally hilarious. Just my thoughts on the matter you can feel free to disagree with me.

Ive read this entire thread and a few things stand out to me. First, I play mostly Nike clubs and it was a big disappointment to see the announcement. This notion that Nike clubs are garbage and unacceptable to most golfers is absolutely false. The people that are saying this are the people who have never actually given Nike clubs a shot. I game the Covert driver and hit that club very well and its the same story with the Covert irons that I have. I know many people that use Nike clubs and its a shame that they are going to stop making them. However, I think it's Nike's own fault that their sales started declining. They had the right idea of making clubs that looked visually different from your average golf club, but they took it a couple steps too far with vapor series and that combo of blue and volt that even I didn't want to touch. Its a shame that they couldn't stick around longer because I really think that they would have seen an increase in golf sales in the next 5 to 10 years, but business is business.

Second, I don't think this idea that the hard equipment market is dying is a correct one. I researched the state of the sporting goods market in depth last spring for a project and I can tell you that Nike is still by far the top manufacturer of clothing and other equipment. This change is probably good for them from a business perspective because really their clubs could never shake that perception of being inferior for some reason. Adidas is lagging far behind Nike in the current market and I don't think them trying to sell Taylormade is and indication that hard equipment is not a profitable business. Yes, the margains are not as high but that doesn't mean that companies are going to fold. Adidas needs to make changes to their business model to keep from losing market share to Under Armour and Nike and this is probably part of that. In the end these companies are not exclusively golf companies so it makes it easier for them to just drop golf products.

Lastly, I think that golf clubs in general are overpriced and I think that companies are going to have lower their prices in the future and extend their product cycles while spending less money in R&D doing so. This is really the only way they are going to get people to buy more clubs. Also, I find this notion that Rory and all the other tour pros sponsored by Nike are magically going to improve by switching companies totally hilarious. Just my thoughts on the matter you can feel free to disagree with me.

I agree with everything you said. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and grew up with Slazenger, Wilson, MacGregor, but the quality of the VR line meant that I almost had a full bag of Nike clubs for three years. The STR8-Fit Tour driver, original VR forged wedges and Split Cavities were out of the top drawer. I think when Nike made traditional looking equipment they really excelled. If they had released the MM Proto as it looked rather than the Volt coloured Vapor Line I think they would have cleaned up.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I like this post. The clubs, Nike just wasn't going to grab the top dollar PXG or Titleist crowd. Ever. While they make great clubs, the perception is slightly different, and that hurts the brand. I do think some of the guys like Rory will play better. They will go back to Scotty Cameron and Titleist for short game...and at their level, an extra putt or two every round is the world.

I always respect Maddie Nikegirls posts. 1 of the best on here. Not as reactionary as my irritable self.

Mizuno Skintite Glove

I see a lot of 'nike golf produced an inferior product' claims in this thread. Nike Golf as a business was obviously doing something wrong, but the equipment is very solid. In no way is it inferior to any brand, and that's a simple fact.

Absolutely agree with this, although to some extent I think part of Nike's problem was the stuff was just that: solid. To break through a lot of the negative perception that exists in the minds of many golf consumers, Nike needed to make a superlative product and (with perhaps a few exceptions) never quite got there. They made plenty of stuff just as good as Cally, Ping, Titleist, etc. but never really established a niche the way those brands have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this as a Nike hater. I'm currently playing and love my Vapor Fly driver. But, I think to the review I wrote on it shortly after putting it in the bag. It was something to the effect of "not the longest, or the straightest, or the best feel, just solid all around." A club that's above average at everything makes for a great product - but, at the same time it was never going to help Nike break through to those already skeptical before picking up a club at a demo day...

The only thing they will ever really be remembered for is that shot of Tiger's ball on #16 at Augusta. Greatest non scripted marketing shot of all time in sports. Other than that they will be a footnote in the history of the game.

Pretty much true of any equipment imo. We remember the players and the events they played in. Only the golf nerds-and I am one-would have any clue what a player used to accomplish his feats.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Its a shame that they couldn't stick around longer because I really think that they would have seen an increase in golf sales in the next 5 to 10 years, but business is business.

Based on what? Nike never gained more than 2-3% market share in the 10+ years they were in the golf business. Why would that change in the next 5-10 years?

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

Subtlety and understatement...

at least there are no turbulators! :)

Absolutely agree with this, although to some extent I think part of Nike's problem was the stuff was just that: solid. To break through a lot of the negative perception that exists in the minds of many golf consumers, Nike needed to make a superlative product and (with perhaps a few exceptions) never quite got there. They made plenty of stuff just as good as Cally, Ping, Titleist, etc. but never really established a niche the way those brands have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this as a Nike hater. I'm currently playing and love my Vapor Fly driver. But, I think to the review I wrote on it shortly after putting it in the bag. It was something to the effect of "not the longest, or the straightest, or the best feel, just solid all around." A club that's above average at everything makes for a great product - but, at the same time it was never going to help Nike break through to those already skeptical before picking up a club at a demo day...

Nike could have made clubs that were solid gold, straight as an arrow, longest by a mile, even picked up the dog poop in the owner's yard, and people would still have thought it was inferior thanks to the swoosh on it. If TaylorMade would have been outfitted with the Adidas branding instead of TaylorMade, I think the masses would be thinking the exact same thing. It's amazing what branding can do to perception of quality.

TW

LMAO

17 clubs in the bag? I bet you could score better with 14 Nikes! :)

I've seen so many people in these Nike and Golfsmith threads in the last couple of days, giving out uneducated opinions as facts, it's scary.

Yep, it's been half entertaining, half sad.

Well said.

I literally have been reading way too many posts with my jaw, dropped, in disbelief at what I am seeing.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

Nike could have made clubs that were solid gold, straight as an arrow, longest by a mile, even picked up the dog poop in the owner's yard, and people would still have thought it was inferior thanks to the swoosh on it. If TaylorMade would have been outfitted with the Adidas branding instead of TaylorMade, I think the masses would be thinking the exact same thing. It's amazing what branding can do to perception of quality.

This x1000. It's very difficult for an established brand with a niche to break into a market they've never been in. This is the same reason why Honda created Acura, Toyota created Lexus, and Nissan created Infiniti in the USA. These three automakers made a name for themselves selling reliable economy cars and they knew that most people wouldn't spend $75000+ on a Honda or a Nissan when established luxury car brands like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Porsche ruled that bracket.

A company with longstanding, established brand perception can't buy its way to legitimacy in a new market. It takes some seriously good marketing and time to establish a reputation. Nike had the former but not the latter.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

I talked to a co-worker and friend this morning about this subject and he gave an interesting insight into the subject. He is an average golfer who shoots mid-80s to lower 90s. Probably plays 8-10 rounds per year. His clubs are mostly hand-me-downs from his brother in law who is a local club pro. He has a TM driver, Tour Exotics woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and a Cameron putter so he's not partial to any brand. I brought up the subject of Nike getting out of the equipment business and he mentioned he saw the story on a business website (not a place like WRX). His opinions of Nike golf equipment was "gimmicky", "flashy", "appealing to lower cost crowd", etc. Right or wrong I think this is how a lot of people view Nike equipment regardless of how good it actually is. The bright colors, flashy names, and other marketing stuff (clothing line matches club and bag colors) has apparently turned off a lot of the market to Nike equipment. It has been much validated here. People love the original Nike blades and Pro Combos that were nothing more than gray heads with a black swoosh. Somebody posted a thread recently of one of the new sets of irons after they had stripped all the paint off and filled the the swoosh black and people were going nuts over how good they looked.

Do you guys think Nike would have been more successful in sales and reputation if they would have stuck to a more traditional platform?

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom