First Time Playing Over 7,000 Yards

Canuck80

This past weekend I played from 7,050. All of my friends and family are bogey or worse golfers and I usually just play up with them at 6000-6200 because I know they can't play from anything longer. I'm not the longest golfer, my driver carries 255 average (275 roll out max). I hit my 7 iron 160 yards. My handicap is currently a 3.0. Most rounds I'm hitting driver and wedges all day long and shoot consistently in the low 70s.

On this day I was playing with my Dad and Friend and they were playing whites from 6,000. I was all ready to tee up with them when a single joined us and I asked what tees he was playing. He said the back tees. I decided to join him and away we went. I played two par 5s at 585 and two par 4s that were around 470. Never have I used my long irons so much in a round. I felt that I had to focus so much more than usual the entire round. This actually made it more enjoyable. I obviously missed more greens and was relying on my short game to save some pars. Additionally I was playing with a golfer of equal or greater skill and the competitor in me wanted to shoot better than him. At the end of the day I shot a 78 and it was one of the best times I have had on the course. I highly recommend anyone thinking of playing from further back to give it a go. You might actually find scoring higher is more rewarding than going lower from closer tees.

• Like 1

I have found myself getting into more trouble on 6400y courses than 7100y courses. Seems the shorter ones can introduce new obstacles that I usually would not find myself in. For example, hitting it into a bunker 80y short of the green off the tee presents a challenging par save but that same hole where my tee shot is well short of that bunker and playing in a 130y shot, lets say, is a birdie opportunity.

Longer courses just require a decent driver game. Short courses can require FWY's, hybrids, long irons off tees to be short of trouble or land in the fat part of the fairway that is your landing zone with driver from back tees. Because of that, unless the course is just boring straight holes with no features, I don't really find short courses all that much easier than long courses. Just a different game is required.

Much like I would love see the PGA return to older historic courses, regardless of length. Just build up the rough, narrow the fairways and make the bunkers penalizing to 290-330 off the tee to force shorter tee shots.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I agree with Mark^.

I couldn't imagine playing 7000 on a day that I have the snaphooks or something, and a 470 yard par 4 is challenging, for sure, but on a good driving day, playing from 6000-6200 is less fun, and depending on the layout, more difficult.

I've often found that from the back tee's I have better lines, and things actually open up. The added difficulty often comes from forced carries, to hit on said lines, but they're not generally ridiculous numbers. There's a few particular holes that come to mind at courses I frequent where playing from the whites at 6300 there are a lot of bends and turns and you really have to work the ball or you hit through the fairway with anything more than, for me, my hybrid, with a straight ball. Go to a couple of these holes that add only 30 yards, I have a better chance at being further down the fairway with an easier tee shot as long as I don't mishit so badly I don't carry it 240-250. The 240-250 forced carry is more difficult than being forced to shape a big fade/draw or be OB. I like to move the ball, and the saying "nobody ever hit a straight shot on purpose" rings true for me, but I've found some shorter layouts to be really demanding in that aspect, and often times a 3w is too much even.

Honestly, I've only played from 7000 (+/- a hundred yards) twice, and they've both been in the last month, and it's been a lot of fun, and I played pretty dang well. Bad drives are really punished as you can end up with longer irons and 200 yard approach shots more often than anyone would want, but most days from 6000-6300, I could bag my driver, fairway, and 7i on down, and rarely use the 7i.

For the majority of holes, unless it's really tight and accuracy is of utmost importance, I wouldn't think your playing the right set of tee's if the longest club you can hit to a bend or something of that nature is a 5i-6i. It's fun to do every now and again, but there's a few holes I can think of where iron is all you really could play and have any reasonable chance of being in play.. not just in the fairway.

I have found myself getting into more trouble on 6400y courses than 7100y courses. Seems the shorter ones can introduce new obstacles that I usually would not find myself in. For example, hitting it into a bunker 80y short of the green off the tee presents a challenging par save but that same hole where my tee shot is well short of that bunker and playing in a 130y shot, lets say, is a birdie opportunity.

Longer courses just require a decent driver game. Short courses can require FWY's, hybrids, long irons off tees to be short of trouble or land in the fat part of the fairway that is your landing zone with driver from back tees. Because of that, unless the course is just boring straight holes with no features, I don't really find short courses all that much easier than long courses. Just a different game is required.

Much like I would love see the PGA return to older historic courses, regardless of length. Just build up the rough, narrow the fairways and make the bunkers penalizing to 290-330 off the tee to force shorter tee shots.

I am with you on this... my old golf club was 7100 from the tips and 5800 from the forward tees. My scoring average was around 1-2 strokes higher on the forward tees. So many bunkers and hazards that simply were not in play from the tips for me.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

I try to play the tips whenever I play. The added length on par 4s and 5s are generally not problems; it adds more of a course management strategy to the round. Par 3s on the other hand are tough when they play over 200 yards long. Overall, I find myself more focused and more in control when I'm playing from the tips.

I must agree with the opinions here, playing 7000 requires great driving game, and not so much the distance as accuracy. Since the approach shots will be made with long irons/hybrids and woods the importance of hitting the fairway is magnified. Can't really hack it out to the green on 470 yard Par 4.

Of course increase in missed greens gives great opportunity to practice short game as well.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

At my age 67/6800 is all the golf I want, but I often play the back tees with my son-in-law while on vacation and there is no difference in score for me. It’s just means I need to pay attention more. The fact that he out drives me by 20 and looses by 2 or 3 makes my day.LOL

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

Good for you! Golf is all about challenging yourself. I say keep doing it. The only downside about playing from the tips is golf is a social game. It is nice to be able to b.s. with people while you are waiting to hit on the tee. My advice would be to try to find others that want to play back there. You will enjoy it a lot more. You will improve too!

A few summers ago I played the President's Reserve at the Hermitage Golf Course in Nashville. 7100+ yds with no par-3s shorter than 188, a 480 yd par-4 and two 600+ par-5s. I think I shot around 80-81 and felt like hit the ball as well as I could all day long. Not sure I'd like to do that on a regular basis, but it was nice to hit some different clubs from the fairway. I think 6500 is about perfect for me, however.

I've played from 7k yd just a couple of times when no one was around (a little over 6k yd is about right for me). I agree that if you can drive decently well (or are having a good driving day), then the length isn't so bad.

The par 3's might be the toughest from a mental standpoint. A 200 yd par 3 is very mentally challenging, even when it plays shorter or there is room to land the ball short, because not hitting the green feels like a failure. For long par 3's, I think the winning mental strategy is treat the shot just as you would your 2nd on a reachable-in-two par 5. When you're standing over a 200+ yard shot when going for the green in two on a short par 5, you're not thinking about missing the green, or coming up short, or anything else that is bad. All you're thinking about is making a good swing and hoping to get lucky. If you can adopt that same attitude in tee box on a long par 3, then you're in really a good place mentally.

On those long par 4's, a good strategy, if you have the mental game to commit to it, is to play them as short par 5's. 225 yd off the tee and a 150 yd 2nd shot (i.e., not exactly the shots legends are made of) leaves just 95 yd to the green center on a 470 yd hole, giving you the option to go right at flag if so desired; and the better the drive or approach shot, the closer you are to the green for the third shot, giving yourself even better chances at hitting the ball close to the flag for a one putt. So, you are not necessarily giving up a stroke by laying up, provided you can hit a distance wedge reasonably well. A similar strategy also works on a ridiculously long par 5 (i.e., play it as a par 6). The drawback, of course, with this play-par-plus-one approach is that you have to make one more good long shot and it doesn't leave you any spare shots to use around the green since you used what would have been your bogey stroke on the layup.

Like other posters, I also found that the landing areas for my drives were much larger than what I was used to. It makes sense once you consider that the hole was probably designed so that a big hitter from the back tees has about the same difficulty of a drive as a short hitter from the front tees. Thus, when you take a short hitter and move him to the back, his drives now land short of where the architect anticipated that they would.

I've played from 7k yd just a couple of times when no one was around (a little over 6k yd is about right for me). I agree that if you can drive decently well (or are having a good driving day), then the length isn't so bad.

The par 3's might be the toughest from a mental standpoint. A 200 yd par 3 is very mentally challenging, even when it plays shorter or there is room to land the ball short, because not hitting the green feels like a failure. For long par 3's, I think the winning mental strategy is treat the shot just as you would your 2nd on a reachable-in-two par 5. When you're standing over a 200+ yard shot when going for the green in two on a short par 5, you're not thinking about missing the green, or coming up short, or anything else that is bad. All you're thinking about is making a good swing and hoping to get lucky. If you can adopt that same attitude in tee box on a long par 3, then you're in really a good place mentally.

On those long par 4's, a good strategy, if you have the mental game to commit to it, is to play them as short par 5's. 225 yd off the tee and a 150 yd 2nd shot (i.e., not exactly the shots legends are made of) leaves just 95 yd to the green center on a 470 yd hole, giving you the option to go right at flag if so desired; and the better the drive or approach shot, the closer you are to the green for the third shot, giving yourself even better chances at hitting the ball close to the flag for a one putt. So, you are not necessarily giving up a stroke by laying up, provided you can hit a distance wedge reasonably well. A similar strategy also works on a ridiculously long par 5 (i.e., play it as a par 6). The drawback, of course, with this play-par-plus-one approach is that you have to make one more good long shot and it doesn't leave you any spare shots to use around the green since you used what would have been your bogey stroke on the layup.

Like other posters, I also found that the landing areas for my drives were much larger than what I was used to. It makes sense once you consider that the hole was probably designed so that a big hitter from the back tees has about the same difficulty of a drive as a short hitter from the front tees. Thus, when you take a short hitter and move him to the back, his drives now land short of where the architect anticipated that they would.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

The Par 3's are still the only part that really rattle me at all. Under 200, I can manage. Of course it's not as easy and 2 par 3's at <175 and one at 185 and another at some crazy short yardage, but under 200 still gives me a good chance. Honestly, if the situation isn't right for me to hit a long iron, I pick a good landing spot and get as close as I can and get up and down. I know this is a red flag example that I'm playing too far back, but 210 ish is a tough yardage for me in general. I hit my hybrid 220 off the deck and 230 off the tee, so those ones actually give me a better shot, but I just don't flush a 4i often enough to be totally confident at 210. If there's no water, or hazards, then a I let her rip, but if there's trouble, I just swallow my pride and shoot for the easiest up and down possible.

As for the long Par 4's, 450 ish, I actually find myself stepping down to 3w more often than on shorter Par 4's. I look at those as though getting to within 6i range is imperative, so I do what has to be done to not have to hit anything longer into the green. If the driver is on that day and it's a relatively easy drive, then it's game on with the big stick, but overall, I find myself managing longer par 4's much better.

Long par 5's just are what they are. I'm not gonna get there in two, most likely, unless there's enough fairway to really step on a drive when I'm feeling confident, but even at 620, if you break it down, it's not so bad with moderately good distances. Drive 280-fairway wood 250, and you're still only left with a sand wedge to a middle pin, or even a lob wedge to a front pin.

For whatever reason, I just play longer holes smarter. Something about having no chance at easy shots into the greens helps make sure I set up for a good shot into the green. A 350 par 4 gets me thinking Driver-pitch shot, and a 450 par 4 gets me thinking 3-wood 7 iron, because a missed drive might mean driver-4 iron.

I feel like what the OP did is actually how you should use the back tees, get hcp down, get good swing and then pull back and see how you do. Good job and nice score

Yeah except that bit me in the butt this month. I have a stroke play tournament coming up this weekend and was fortunate enough to get out to Hazeltine with another WRX member. I went 45/40 from the furthest back tee's available that day (they aren't allowing you to go to the tips as the Ryder Cup is coming up). My dang hcp dropped because of the slope rating! I wasn't trying to get it higher or anything by any means, but playing further back get's the hcp dropping really quick if you can post some scores within one or two of your hcp you achieved playing from the whites.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but playing long courses really messed up my short iron play…I’m not the longest hitter but can get one out there 280 when things connect. I’ve been playing courses between 6600-7000 yards..when I play with friends around 6000 yards, my scores are worse…I’m more comfortable with a 6 iron than I am with a pw..

• Confused 1

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 Atmos Tour Spec Black

3 wood: Callaway Rogue LS Tensei series white

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Speeder HB

Irons: Srixon z785 Modus3

50: Cleveland zip core 

56: Vokey sm8

60: Vokey sm9

Enjoyment from the tips is entirely course dependent. Played the tips from Spanish Bay and Spyglass on my last trip and loved it. Tried playing the tips (non-championship tees) at Torrey South and it was awful. Just can't play a 7,000+ yard track when the rough is thick. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

One of the courses I play fairly regularly is something like 7,250 from the tips. One par 3 is 180 to a pretty small, well protected green. All the others are 200+ with water hazards. Par 5s are all over 550. So getting a reasonable look at eagle isn't common. Par 4s are (unsurprisingly) a mixed bag. But only a few that I'd say play really long. 

I enjoying playing the tips, and they're pretty much my default choice. I definitely think and play more strategically on longer courses. I don't miss many drivers. So shorter course are basically get up and let it rip. Being in the rough from 100 yards and in is no problem. Push the approach distances closer to 200, and finding the fairway is significantly more critical. 

While playing from 7,000+ is a great way to test one's skill, it's not something most players would enjoy or benefit from doing often. Could always mix it up a bit for a change of pace by playing some holes from one set, and others from another. 

On 8/14/2016 at 5:38 PM, Canuck80 said:

This past weekend I played from 7,050. All of my friends and family are bogey or worse golfers and I usually just play up with them at 6000-6200 because I know they can't play from anything longer. I'm not the longest golfer, my driver carries 255 average (275 roll out max). I hit my 7 iron 160 yards. My handicap is currently a 3.0. Most rounds I'm hitting driver and wedges all day long and shoot consistently in the low 70s.

On this day I was playing with my Dad and Friend and they were playing whites from 6,000. I was all ready to tee up with them when a single joined us and I asked what tees he was playing. He said the back tees. I decided to join him and away we went. I played two par 5s at 585 and two par 4s that were around 470. Never have I used my long irons so much in a round. I felt that I had to focus so much more than usual the entire round. This actually made it more enjoyable. I obviously missed more greens and was relying on my short game to save some pars. Additionally I was playing with a golfer of equal or greater skill and the competitor in me wanted to shoot better than him. At the end of the day I shot a 78 and it was one of the best times I have had on the course. I highly recommend anyone thinking of playing from further back to give it a go. You might actually find scoring higher is more rewarding than going lower from closer tees.

The first question that I have is what is the altitude of this golf course? I’ve played a 7,000 yard course, with a clay base (very little roll when wet), at sea level, and it was a bear. I’ve also played some 7,200 yard courses 3000+ feet above sea level and they were tame in comparison. My home course is at sea level and from the tips it’s a bear at 7020 yards. In my younger days, it was merely challenging, but at 65-years old (index 3.4) I will tee it up a few times each year from the tips and my fairway woods and long irons get a workout. 
I agree. A good round from the tips is quite rewarding!

Edited by Moonlightgrm
Typo corrected

• 4 weeks later...

Not really a first playing over 7,000yds but just got back from Mayakoba and had to play it from the tips just to 'experience' a bit of the pro game (PGA and now LIV in 2023); wound up shooting 84, having to grind it out on every hole it seems - even those few shortish Par4s had interesting angles getting in and you could easily shortside yourself... tough second cut, fluffy lies not knowing if it'll jump on you or not... wonderful and hard green complexes... I'm a decent stick, nothing to write home about, but can't even imagine playing 4 days in a row in the 60s to have a chance to win a tourney there - these guys are good!

Mayakoba.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoy playing at 7000 yards as it allows me to hit driver on more holes.  Also a better chance of using most of my clubs during a round.    Last year, our State AM qualifier was just under 7400 yards (Florida) , but being in my 60’s playing college kids at that length, I am not competitive any more.  

With my own age group, the shorter the course, the less I have an advantage.  People I can beat 9 times out of 10 at 7000 yards can beat me consistently at 6200 yards.  Lot of old guys in Florida who can take it low if the course is short enough.

On 8/15/2016 at 5:24 AM, J_Birdie said:

6,000 yards does not seem very fun for me. That would be like 4W/wedge most par 4s and D/6i for Par 5. My sweet spot is right where you were at 7000-7100 yards. I have done 7400 and that was cool but would not wanna do it regularly.

This post makes me laugh.  Ever play an original Donald Ross design at 6000-6500? 

I am guessing you have not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Other designers are available. At 54 there is zero pleasure failing to reach par 4s in two and hitting woods into par 3s. I max out at 6500 yards. To enjoy a 7000 yarder you need to drive it at least 260 yards to get anywhere near your home club index. Or play in Denver on a warm day. 

BTW Mayakoba looks amazing. 

8 hours ago, BB28403 said:

Golf Lifestyle is just so much healthier for anyone.  It’s almost like being european without all the stigma. 😉 lol

Yes, healthier and more cost-effective not having to buy and wear those so-called euro fashions featuring loops, scarfs, high boots, clasps, straps and other awkward and redundant closure methods. 

• Like 1

I’m 56. My iron play is my weakest part and I’m not long, 230 or so off the tee and always in play and a 165 5 iron. We generally play 6600 and on windy days here in texas i end up hitting my 7 or 3 wood for approaches. My wedge game is solid but I don’t get to hit irons much. 

sometimes play 6200 or so, like today, and I did not hit my 3 wood until 13, and it was for position on a par 5, not an approach shot. Lotsa irons and i hit 12 greens and shot 72

i play to a 5.8.