Why did you get rid of your PXG irons?

LHGolf4

I have no problem with anybody shooting mid 80s. In the grand scheme of things, an 85 is pretty good. My dad shoots anywhere from 80-90, mostly 85-90. I play with him all the time, and imagining a player like that playing PXG's is insane to me. It's like a person buying a Lamborghini and never going above 65mph. If that's how fast you're going to go, that's fine, but you might as well have just bought a BMW.

So based on your logic only someone that shoots in the 70's or better should buy these clubs?

I obviously can't speak for everybody, but if I had a $3,000 set of clubs and was shooting 86 every week I would be questioning my purchase.

I have no problem with anybody shooting mid 80s. In the grand scheme of things, an 85 is pretty good. My dad shoots anywhere from 80-90, mostly 85-90. I play with him all the time, and imagining a player like that playing PXG's is insane to me. It's like a person buying a Lamborghini and never going above 65mph. If that's how fast you're going to go, that's fine, but you might as well have just bought a BMW.

So based on your logic only someone that shoots in the 70's or better should buy these clubs?

I obviously can't speak for everybody, but if I had a $3,000 set of clubs and was shooting 86 every week I would be questioning my purchase.

Why are you questioning the purchase?

I'd question the player's skills.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Not always the irons causing high scores. I have ruined many a round with bad drives and 3 putts which goes back to SwingMan's comment of questioning the game. No matter how good the irons are if you are hitting from the trees on your second shot each time your score will probably reflect it. And no I am definitely not trying to justify buying them while currently shooting 85's (I know I can do better even without these clubs). What I was really drawn to was the feel, they felt amazing with the Aerotech SteelFiber shafts I tried with them. Now had they felt great but were inconsistent I would not have even given them a second thought. With that said it does make it hard to justify the cost given you can have 2-3 sets of irons for just one set of PXG. I hope to have time to go back tomorrow and try them out again, if not I will definitely go by next week.

Honestly, this thread is about why people who actually bought them got rid of them. This isn't a "why I like my PXG's" thread :)

To the OP I'd get a set of AP2's or something in the BST for around $700 and use the $3000 you have left over to get lessons, or spend in other ways golf related :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Honestly, this thread is about why people who actually bought them got rid of them. This isn't a "why I like my PXG's" thread :)

To the OP I'd get a set of AP2's or something in the BST for around $700 and use the $3000 you have left over to get lessons, or spend in other ways golf related :)

I figured the people who had (and liked) their PXG irons would comment as well.

$700??? I am left handed, that is more like $550 with as cheap as we are :derisive:

$700??? I am left handed, that is more like $550 with as cheap as we are :derisive:

I tried very hard to make them work, at the time a lot of good players were using them. Most, if not all, have moved on from them. Nothing to do with my decision to get rid of mine, but just a reference. I will say that my worst shots were surprisingly good, but my best shots were so inconsistent that I couldn't get comfortable or in any rhythm, basically just didn't know where the ball was going. My index floats between +1 and 1, on my good days my ball striking is really good, I wanted the additional forgiveness in a forged decent looking iron, but the cons outweighed the pros for me. I know a few people that still have them, just depends on your game and what you're looking for.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Yikes, it's shocking to me that someone can make a blanket statement like this. Honestly dude, bad form :(

Oh give me a break man. Explain to me how that's a "blanket statement".

I tried very hard to make them work, at the time a lot of good players were using them. Most, if not all, have moved on from them. Nothing to do with my decision to get rid of mine, but just a reference. I will say that my worst shots were surprisingly good, but my best shots were so inconsistent that I couldn't get comfortable or in any rhythm, basically just didn't know where the ball was going. My index floats between +1 and 1, on my good days my ball striking is really good, I wanted the additional forgiveness in a forged decent looking iron, but the cons outweighed the pros for me. I know a few people that still have them, just depends on your game and what you're looking for.

Thanks Pure745 for the feedback I appreciate it.

I had a set of PXG 0311 irons with Steel Fiber shafts. Although I loved the distance and forgiveness of the irons, I wasn't hitting them high enough or with enough spin to hold the greens at my club.

I went to get another fitting and got fit into AP2s with NS Pro 950GH. I haven't received them yet so I can't compare but the numbers are the fitting were good.

It seems clear to me MY AP2's will stay firmly planted in the bag for several years. Playing some of my best golf with them. I would suspect that PXG is still in the beginning stages of getting their clubs really dialed in. They are flashy, have the screws, hired some Ping engineers and charge allot for clubs that appear to be no better than quality Mizuno, Ping, Titleist, and other offerings. If you have to have the best, you may still be better off with

getting custom fitted with Miura's or a similar quality offering. I also liked what several said, if you can't get off the tee box, does not matter how much you spend, you wont score and go low.

In any sport there is allways great disparity in prices of equiptment. Example Flyfishing, you can easily sink 2k into a rod and reel, but the guy down stream from you has a 500.00 set up and is catching fish like crazy.

I think unless PXG can get their lofts, feel, and performance really dialed in to equal their price, they will allways have a small niche.

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

Think i would've tried a different shaft and or ball to get more height and/or spin before switching clubs

I've tried all kinds of balls and nothing really helped.

I thought about reshafting but then I noticed the prices on eBay that PXG sets were selling for. I basically sold my set for $200 less than what I paid for them.

I figured if I wanted to then I could just get a new set of PXG. Easier than reshafting and trying to sell the pulls. In the end, the AP2 fit better.

After a week with my i Blades, it just reiterates why my PXGs are in the garage.
TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

After a week with my i Blades, it just reiterates why my PXGs are in the garage.

How was M2 fitting?

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Well I went back today and hit my XR irons, this year's Callaway Apex, Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, and PXG 0311T irons. So the Apex felt almost as good as the PXG (the PXG were still softer). I was longer with the Apex, but my accuracy suffered. I hit the Mizuno irons with best combination of distance, feel, and accuracy (for the price). The PXG irons were still fantastic, but just did not feel they were worth triple the cost of the Mizuno irons. Hopefully the technology behind their clubs will make it to other manufacturers (of course with their own take to avoid patent issues) and bring the price down. Thanks everyone for the feedback as it definitely help me make an informed decision.

If I was interested in purchasing $2500 irons, the issue of distance control and the fact that there are both hot spots and dead spots on the face would be more than enough to scare me away. Hollowing out irons and filling it with polymer is a nice advancement in golf technology. However, if the polymer isn't evenly distributed throughout the face of the club, it won't lead to consistent results. Unfortunately, there's no way for players to verify this. Also, might I suggest patience. Hillbilly Bob's tech is out there now, which means that big name equipment manufacturers will eventually be happy to steal it and sell it for less. My guess is this will happen sooner rather than later.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Pure745 gave an excellent review of the irons but then again he was also the reviewer who gave the best driver award and runner up award to Nike !!! Some clubs work better for some and not so well for others.....If i was a excellent ball striker, i definitely would not need the help that PXGs offer me but unfortunately iron play is not my strong point and the added forgiveness of the PXG is wayyyyy helpful. If i had to get a iron for distance and forgiveness, i would go with Callaway CF16 followed by Srixon 545/745 combo. Im not too worries about hotspots and I play with a few other members who use these club as well, and they have not noticed it either. These irons are ridiculously expensive and i don't think they are worth the cash but if you love golf and the price is not a issue, then these are definitely worth trying out.....If u can find a PXG fitting place with a outdoor range and compare it to your favorite gamers and they shine, then perhaps they are the right club for you.

* As for the OPs question, i started with PXG 0311T and then moved to 0311 and then back to 0311T and then of course i went from Darkness to Satin and then ultimately back to Darkness......The iron that has me intrigues is the Titleist C16 and Im sure ill try it in the very near future.

If I was interested in purchasing $2500 irons, the issue of distance control and the fact that there are both hot spots and dead spots on the face would be more than enough to scare me away. Hollowing out irons and filling it with polymer is a nice advancement in golf technology. However, if the polymer isn't evenly distributed throughout the face of the club, it won't lead to consistent results. Unfortunately, there's no way for players to verify this. Also, might I suggest patience. Hillbilly Bob's tech is out there now, which means that big name equipment manufacturers will eventually be happy to steal it and sell it for less. My guess is this will happen sooner rather than later.

Yonex may have already done this with their new N1-MB irons. Looks like a blade, slim top line, slim sole, they've filled a cavity with graphite behind the face. Not sure of the feel difference you'll get vs polymer, but it's probably similar technology in a much more player shaped iron. I haven't been able to hit them yet... but I'd love to get my hands on one to try. But, the technology is certainly here... and at half the price of PXG. It won't be long before we'll see others on the market.

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/yonex-n1-mb-forged-iron-5-pw-6pcs

How was M2 fitting?

Great. Turns out fitter was married by my Dad in 1999. Small world. Will elaborate in your WITB.
TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

Pure745 gave an excellent review of the irons but then again he was also the reviewer who gave the best driver award and runner up award to Nike !!! Some clubs work better for some and not so well for others.....If i was a excellent ball striker, i definitely would not need the help that PXGs offer me but unfortunately iron play is not my strong point and the added forgiveness of the PXG is wayyyyy helpful. If i had to get a iron for distance and forgiveness, i would go with Callaway CF16 followed by Srixon 545/745 combo. Im not too worries about hotspots and I play with a few other members who use these club as well, and they have not noticed it either. These irons are ridiculously expensive and i don't think they are worth the cash but if you love golf and the price is not a issue, then these are definitely worth trying out.....If u can find a PXG fitting place with a outdoor range and compare it to your favorite gamers and they shine, then perhaps they are the right club for you.

* As for the OPs question, i started with PXG 0311T and then moved to 0311 and then back to 0311T and then of course i went from Darkness to Satin and then ultimately back to Darkness......The iron that has me intrigues is the Titleist C16 and Im sure ill try it in the very near future.

Very quick to troll.. love GolfWRX :) That was what almost 2 years ago? Been using the 915 and M1 for the past year or more. Again, this thread was asking "why did you get rid of your PXG's?" I answered, I spent a lot of money and time on irons that weren't great for me, bottom line.. just answering the OP's question. You can do the same without taking shots at me for a review I did a while ago about DRIVERS which has nothing to do with my review of PXG's.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

:russian_roulette: ...hahaha I'm just having a little fun with Nike thats all....But in all seriousness that was the best independent review that i have ever read and i have seen plenty in 15 years of avid golf collecting and reviewing myself. Your review was the gold standard of reviews and it is still relevant !

:russian_roulette: ...hahaha I'm just having a little fun with Nike thats all....But in all seriousness that was the best independent review that i have ever read and i have seen plenty in 15 years of avid golf collecting and reviewing myself. Your review was the gold standard of reviews and it is still relevant !

Lol, not sure if you're kidding or serious. I get trolled quite a bit on here ;) That Flex was a serious driver though, not for everyone that's for sure.. but ball speeds were definitely up there for me. My feedback about the other stuff at the Oven was pretty candidly opposite though. :censored2:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I am currently playing a combo set of 0311 5-6 and 0311T 7-W. They perform well for me. The feel is unique and quite forgiving. Certainly got the cool bag appeal. No one else at my club has these.

I bought these mostly cuz of the hype and just being a ho. After about 15 rounds, honestly, they are not better or worse than anything else that's out there.

I have been messing around with the new ping iblade, if those work out for me, they will probably replace the PXGs. I just prefer the cleaner look.

At the end of the day, play what makes your happy. As long as you go through proper fitting, most clubs perform equally well.

Yonex may have already done this with their new N1-MB irons. Looks like a blade, slim top line, slim sole, they've filled a cavity with graphite behind the face. Not sure of the feel difference you'll get vs polymer, but it's probably similar technology in a much more player shaped iron. I haven't been able to hit them yet... but I'd love to get my hands on one to try. But, the technology is certainly here... and at half the price of PXG. It won't be long before we'll see others on the market.

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/yonex-n1-mb-forged-iron-5-pw-6pcs

I have been gaming the Yonex N1 MB for the last few months and they are phenomenal irons. I had a set of 0311T, a set of T-MB and the Yonex and the Yonex was the best of the 3 for me. They look amazing at address, literally zero offset, thin topline and a great shape. They feel like a traditional blade, soft and solid with great feedback. They are amazingly forgiving for a club that looks that good.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)