Why did you get rid of your PXG irons?

LHGolf4

This is a sincere question and I'm not trying to troll anyone.

Theoretically speaking, for those who have purchased PXG irons only to sell them, what if you bought the 0311 irons (4 through PW, 7 irons total) for $1200, would you still have gotten rid of them or felt like they weren't worth the money?

Same question for the other PXG irons, what if you bought the 0311T irons (4 through PW, 7 irons total) for $1400, would you still have gotten rid of them or felt like they weren't worth the money?

I never had them, almost did but I'll share my experience with them :)

If you can get past the look of them they may be OK for some people.

I was going to pull the trigger on a set to see what all the buzz was about but I got my hands on a demo set and tried them out. How in the world do people like them is beyond me. They feel bad, the blade length is awkwardly long, the hosel blend into the iron is weird to look at, the distance was all over the map. I tried a few different shafts too, that didnt help, and, the spin was quite low but flight was high?... No thanks, I'll save the $3000 and give it to my kids to put towards their first car or something useful.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

This is a sincere question and I'm not trying to troll anyone.

Theoretically speaking, for those who have purchased PXG irons only to sell them, what if you bought the 0311 irons (4 through PW, 7 irons total) for $1200, would you still have gotten rid of them or felt like they weren't worth the money?

Same question for the other PXG irons, what if you bought the 0311T irons (4 through PW, 7 irons total) for $1400, would you still have gotten rid of them or felt like they weren't worth the money?

I will say if I could have gotten 7 irons for $1200 I would have ordered them.

I just cant imagine spending that much on irons and going out and shooting 85's and 86's with them. Seriously, what is the point?

Maybe they shoot 90 with Callaway?

Your post comes across as arrogant. Should you only buy department store clubs till you break 80?

Some people can afford them, and like them, others don't or can't. That's all.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 1 month later...

Ive went the full route.......Started with 0311T in Darkness and had a set with steel and a set with graphite and then tried the 0311 in Darkness and then after a few bad toe hits, decided i was better off with Satin chrome 0311 and 311T, then i got tired of the satin look and decided to go back to black and went this time with a combo 0311/311T and then got a 0311 for a backup and mulling over getting a 3/4/5 in the 0311XF. I keep trying new combos because the resale on these irons is incredible !!! Im sure that the resale strength will normalize once the market is saturated but it seems that there are still more buyers than sellers !!! Hopefully there is a huge dip in prices during the holidays, i would like some new wedges !!!

I've never played PXG on the course but I have hit the 6 iron. When I went to get fit for my Mirua's I hit both the 311 and the 311t. I didn't like the size of the 311 but hit probably 20 balls with the 311t. I brought a 714 AP2 6 iron to compare it against. Hit both the 714 and the 311t with a project x 6.5 shaft. I didn't see any appreciable difference in terms of distance or dispersion between the 714 and 311t. I think I hit both of them about 185. No real difference in spin rate or dispersion. Including the outliers, I hit the 714 marginally straighter. So I didn't end up buying the 311t.

TaylorMade M1 Aldila Rouge 70x
Titleist 13* 913 F.d Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7X
Titleist 18* 915 H Aldila Rouge 85x
Titleist T-MB 4 Iron True Temper AMT X-100
Miura MB-001 5-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM5 50,56
Bellum Winmore CloverDale

I got rid of my chrome set to get the all black ones which are so much cooler looking.

Agreed

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Just my 0.02. I believe some of the notions about the expensive PXG clubs revolves around the owner Bob Parsons. If a famous golfer: Arnie (RIP), Jack or even Tiger had started PXG ... I think the company would have more clout.

As is ... Bob Parsons made his money selling domains and cheap websites. A brilliant person actually. He owns a very exclusive club in Scottsdale and has a Harley and Ducati dealership as well. My point is that his company has no history. A new kid on the block.

It's like a new car company comes out with a unknown car and prices it the same as a Ferrari, yet has no past history of Formula 1 wins, Enzo, pinifariina, etc. etc.

Only time will tell. And majors.

Just my 0.02. I believe some of the notions about the expensive PXG clubs revolves around the owner Bob Parsons. If a famous golfer: Arnie (RIP), Jack or even Tiger had started PXG ... I think the company would have more clout.

As is ... Bob Parsons made his money selling domains and cheap websites. A brilliant person actually. He owns a very exclusive club in Scottsdale and has a Harley and Ducati dealership as well. My point is that his company has no history. A new kid on the block.

It's like a new car company comes out with a unknown car and prices it the same as a Ferrari, yet has no past history of Formula 1 wins, Enzo, pinifariina, etc. etc.

Only time will tell. And majors.

It has a Senior major and a LPGA major and a Ryder Cup win, and a few wins on tour. That is excellent for a new company and i am a fan but i don't see them lasting that much longer. Golf is slowing down for sure and may be dying off. I see golf course closures on a regular basis. PXG are expensive irons and there is market for high end clubs but not enough to support PXG. I can see PXG being a successful boutique brand but not on the level where they sponsor many pro golfers and sell high dollar items at high volume.

Ive went the full route.......Started with 0311T in Darkness and had a set with steel and a set with graphite and then tried the 0311 in Darkness and then after a few bad toe hits, decided i was better off with Satin chrome 0311 and 311T, then i got tired of the satin look and decided to go back to black and went this time with a combo 0311/311T and then got a 0311 for a backup and mulling over getting a 3/4/5 in the 0311XF. I keep trying new combos because the resale on these irons is incredible !!! Im sure that the resale strength will normalize once the market is saturated but it seems that there are still more buyers than sellers !!! Hopefully there is a huge dip in prices during the holidays, i would like some new wedges !!!

This is a joke, right?

This is a joke, right?

Joke ???? haha i have about 4 used sets sold to Wrx members and the rest i moved on Ebay.......what can i say, i love the PXG, i sold my Modart Irons, all my Epon irons, including the super rare copper 302 AND AF TOUR , my Miura irons and Miuraism irons and about a dozen other sets......with the PXG irons, i actually saved money by not buying every set of irons that comes out

PXG setups : Px 6.0, PX LZ 5.5, PX LZ 5.0. Modus 120, Modus 130, Aerotech 110CW, Nippon 999gH, Tour Concept, KBS Custom Black, KBS Tour 125

This is a joke, right?

Joke ???? haha i have about 4 used sets sold to Wrx members and the rest i moved on Ebay.......what can i say, i love the PXG, i sold my Modart Irons, all my Epon irons, including the super rare copper 302 AND AF TOUR , my Miura irons and Miuraism irons and about a dozen other sets......with the PXG irons, i actually saved money by not buying every set of irons that comes out

PXG setups : Px 6.0, PX LZ 5.5, PX LZ 5.0. Modus 120, Modus 130, Aerotech 110CW, Nippon 999gH, Tour Concept, KBS Custom Black, KBS Tour 125

That is awesome man. You have obviously done well for yourself somewhere along the way and have some coin to toss around on sticks, adds a new dimension to the game, helps keep things exciting.

nothing like a delivery of new irons/wedges.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

This is a joke, right?

That is awesome man. You have obviously done well for yourself somewhere along the way and have some coin to toss around on sticks, adds a new dimension to the game, helps keep things exciting.

Its more of a age thing really. As a younger man i couldn't afford much but wealth accumulates as u grow older, especially if u have assets like stocks and real estate. Markets go up and markets go down but in the long run, you will make a tidy sum. As Buffet says when everyone is running out, u need to be running in and vice versa.

How did you like the steelfibers with the pxg's?

I'm asking... um... For a friend.

I love the Aerotech 110CW in my PXGs, they are by far my favorite shaft. my second favorite is the 999gh and my third favorite is the PX LZ. My buddy hit my PXGs with aerotech and he promptly ordered himself a set, they really are that good !!! Haha there should be a used set with PX LZ 5.0s available on the BST. Aerotechs have good distance about 1/4 club more than steel at most, good dispersion, but where i find they really shine is forgiveness, they can handle my off days when I'm swinging poorly and slowly and they can handle the days when i swing super hard ! I have zero complaints on the Aerotechs, however i am thinking of shafting the 9 and PW with 125CW for more heft.

• 1 year later...

This is a joke, right?

Its more of a age thing really. As a younger man i couldn't afford much but wealth accumulates as u grow older, especially if u have assets like stocks and real estate. Markets go up and markets go down but in the long run, you will make a tidy sum. As Buffet says when everyone is running out, u need to be running in and vice versa.

Gotta stay with the market in order to play the market. Big Buffet fan!

@therealping

OP Title reminds me of the old joke, "When did you stop beating your wife?". Why do most people get rid of clubs that they have tested and been properly fit for? Because they're club ho's and it's against the rules to keep the same clubs more than a few months.

Sorry, i know it's an old thread, but what joke?

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys, first off, I am a relatively new golfer.  I just turned 71 and have been playing 5 years  I started out with Mizuno JPX 850 and really enjoyed them  My favorite iron was the 5 iron.  For some reason I could hit the long irons better than the short irons and couldn't hit hybrids at all.  I next bought the PXG 0211 irons when they went on sale for cheap.  I didn't like them as much as my Mizuno irons and I sold them  Then I got Titleist 718 AP1 irons and I really love them.  When the PXG irons series 3 went on sale I bought the 0311XP  I bought 4-9 and they cost about the same as the Marrik or SIM 2 Max irons that were suggested by my fitter.  

My fitter asked me if I wanted to really improve or get a new toy?  He suggested my keeping my irons and taking lessons (with him).  

I thought long and hard about it...I wanted a new toy and I wanted to improve.  I didn't listen to the guy at Dick's or the guy at Golftech.  I thought that they were both good.BUT, 

1. I felt that the PXG irons with graphite shafts felt great, hit long and solid, and just really appealed to me

2.  I decided to watch YouTube videos and I got tape that sticks to my club head to show where i hit the ball.

3. I'm very happy with my decision....my purpose in taking up golf is to have fun  And, I am!

As a musician and psychologist I understand the value of teachers.  I also understand the value of thinking for yourself. And, I understand the value of knowing why you are doing something.  I understand that having a great guitar doesn't make you great, but it sure is fun playing one and it certainly doesn't make you worse!  Same with golf clubs, imo

Thanks for reading

David

Well since I started this thread I figured I would chime in since a LOT of things have changed since I first asked the question.  I will start off to say honestly the question is no longer valid since PXG has bottomed out the pricing on a lot of their clubs.  Yes they still offer expensive latest generation clubs, but now PING, Titleist, Callaway, Taylormad, etc. all do as well.  So they are now just another OEM, nothing more.

My original question was really based on the fact I had a really good fitting (actually two as I went back after the Gen 2 irons were released), but could not justify the price since their pricing was insane at the time.  Having tried out a number of clubs over the years I knew there was an excellent chance the magic would fade they would not stay in the bag.  So I made the decision to skip them.

So now let’s fast forward to last year when they put the 0211 irons (original) amongst other clubs on sale.  Remembering my good fitting I jumped on them and ordered a set to be greatly disappointed.  Feel was good, but I would launch the dreaded knuckle ball that would airmail the green from time to time.   Sold them and figured my PXG days were done.  

Then earlier this year they dropped the price of the the irons I did one of my fittings with (0311 P Gen 2) and I said one more try and I could not be happier.  Had 4 rounds in the 70’s with them this year.  Are they magic? Nope, but they really do fit my swing.  I am honestly glad they have dropped their pricing so people no longer see them as a status symbol, because for me it never was.  I was just always looking for performance.

Also this is my first old thread to be resurrected….really odd to see it pop up again as I honestly had forgotten about it.

Edited by LHGolf4
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2016 at 10:19 AM, LHGolf4 said:

Yesterday I stopped by a local club fitter and they sell PXG irons. I was really just going in to kill time but while I was there I tried out a couple of irons including an 0311T 7 iron on their launch monitor. I really liked the feel and the numbers were really good for my swing. With that said for those of you who bought a set and got rid of them, what was the main factor? I am considering getting a set but I want to hear from those who have already been down the road and moved on before making a decision.

On 8/16/2016 at 10:19 AM, LHGolf4 said:

Yesterday I stopped by a local club fitter and they sell PXG irons. I was really just going in to kill time but while I was there I tried out a couple of irons including an 0311T 7 iron on their launch monitor. I really liked the feel and the numbers were really good for my swing. With that said for those of you who bought a set and got rid of them, what was the main factor? I am considering getting a set but I want to hear from those who have already been down the road and moved on before making a decision.

I bought the scrixon zx5s because I wanted more distance but I kept my gen 3 PXG  and will play both set of irons.The pxg have steel fiber and the scrixon have steel shafts,in colder weather I will play the PXG because of the steel fiber shafts give a more softer feel.

2 hours ago, Chazb said:

I bought the scrixon zx5s because I wanted more distance but I kept my gen 3 PXG  and will play both set of irons.The pxg have steel fiber and the scrixon have steel shafts,in colder weather I will play the PXG because of the steel fiber shafts give a more softer feel.

Scrixon forever!!

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Actually I just got mine…. And hope for a long ride in my bag.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

9 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Actually I just got mine…. And hope for a long ride in my bag.

I love to tinker with equipment, but the irons are off limits now.  I have no desire to even play around with another set (other than maybe some Gen3 or 4 down the road).  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed mine so far.  

• Like 1