Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

10 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Submissions to the USGA expire after 12 months. Any stamps that you see on the list longer than that have been resubmitted for conformance testing, so yes it is possible that a company would reuse a stamp for a different ball as long as the stamp was not already on the list at the time of submission.

Thanks. That makes sense.

However in regards to the K-Sig 3 piece ball, as I recall, it has never left the conforming ball list since it was introduced. Which seems to be causing the confusion labeling it as V2 on the box when the new 3 piece ball is due soon per Costco and having another 3 piece ball on the list with a different side stamp. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, well that clears everything up.  Thanks for the insight.

They aren’t bad looking at all.      

Played 18 with the 3 piece v2.0 today.  The cover feels different that the og, I thought that it felt more like what a “better” named ball would feel. Distance off my drives were better that wi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, grm24 said:

That was brought up earlier in this thread. The other 3 piece ball has been on the conforming ball list for months. Per the front page WRX article on the new Kirkland balls a new 3 piece is set to be released late this month.

http://www.golfwrx.com/630686/golfwrx-exclusive-costco-kirkland-signature-wedge-set-coming-soon-plus-new-balls-for-2021/

As for reusing the side stamp I'm not sure it it can be but it would seem odd to reuse it especially if a newer ball is significantly different. How would you be able to differentiate them? Perhaps @Snell Golf can chime in.

oh I’m fully aware of a second 3pc ball on the conforming list, as discussed, but didn’t really look at the stamps on the list or pay much attention as that all went over my head - or rather I just didnt care to fully understand that much. Haha. 

so we have a new v2.0 ball, with the same side stamp as v1.0..even though there easily could be a new side stamp still not used. We really need someone to sacrifice a ball to see the insides. @ThreeBoxers 😉

30 minutes ago, jpdx said:

so we have a new v2.0 ball, (alleged) with the same side stamp as v1.0..even though there easily could be a new side stamp still not used. We really need someone to sacrifice a ball to see the insides.

It's possible the 3 piece V2 ball in the wedge pictures in this thread is the exact same ball as the OG3 piece ball. It may only be a packaging change. Perhaps Costco is clearing stock on the original 3 piece ball. Who actually knows at this time?

Recall the OG 4 piece K-Sig ball changed it's packaging wording after it was first released. It was then determined to be the exact same ball just with different wording on the box with same side stamp.

Per Costco the new 4 piece K-Sig is due for release in early 2021. Looking forward to another obtuse over reaction when that takes place. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, grm24 said:

It's possible the 3 piece V2 ball in the wedge pictures in this thread is the exact same ball as the OG3 piece ball. It may only be a packaging change. Perhaps Costco is clearing stock on the original 3 piece ball. Who actually knows at this time?

Recall the OG 4 piece K-Sig ball changed it's packaging wording after it was first released. It was then determined to be the exact same ball just with different wording on the box with same side stamp.

Per Costco the new 4 piece K-Sig is due for release in early 2021. Looking forward to another obtuse over reaction when that takes place. 

I’m not so sure a wording change vs a v2.0 designation is apples to apples. Wording change can be done for a number of reasons....v2.0 implies a different version, imo of course. The timeline fits with a “new” 3pc ball in oct/nov per the interview with the Costco exec, that you referenced. Sooner we can get someone to cut one open, the sooner we all will know 😅

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jpdx said:

I’m not so sure a wording change vs a v2.0 designation is apples to apples. Wording change can be done for a number of reasons....v2.0 implies a different version, imo of course. The timeline fits with a “new” 3pc ball in oct/nov per the interview with the Costco exec, that you referenced. Sooner we can get someone to cut one open, the sooner we all will know 😅

I agree 100%.  Calling it "v2.0" implies it's significantly different.  But the side stamp seems to indicate it's the same ball.  Maybe a mix up at the factory where they put the old ball in the wrong box, or the wrong stamp applied to the ball?  I hope not.  That would be a bad look coming off the 4 piece fiasco, although that's probably not something that anyone other than golf nerds would pay much attention to.  Most folks probably wouldn't even notice.

Sto Pro Veritate

The v2.0 could very well be made by the same contractor, thus the similar appearance.  Tweak the core layer formulations to improve performance and viola, v2.0.  I'm cool with that.  

As for the 3 piece bashing that seems so common, guess I'm just a hack because I thought it was fine.  If this new version improves even slightly on the first version Costco will have another winner on their hands.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

12 minutes ago, Nessism said:

The v2.0 could very well be made by the same contractor, thus the similar appearance.  Tweak the core layer formulations to improve performance and viola, v2.0.  I'm cool with that.  

As for the 3 piece bashing that seems so common, guess I'm just a hack because I thought it was fine.  If this new version improves even slightly on the first version Costco will have another winner on their hands.

I can see that being the justification for the V2.0.  I personally feel that costco is very honest about their products and do whatever they can to make sure their customers get the best product for their dollar.  I'm a big fan of their wines and they source excellent stuff to sell to people who won't get hung up on branding.  So I would expect the ball to be different enough to justify a 'V2.0' tag... @jpdx what's the best way to cut one of these suckers open?

I agree that it's a fine golf ball, especially for the price.  At $1/ball, you get good spin, and good feel off irons and putter.  If you can attribute more inconsistency to your ball striking than to your ball performance (which would be true for a lot of us) it's probably a decent ball for you.  However, it spins A TON when max spin isn't the priority (irons and driver)  last round I backed up 3 iron shots (in 9 holes mind you) and I'm NOT a super high spin player.  It gets gobbled up by wind and I don't know about others, but I've noticed a little distance inconsistency from ball to ball.  It's not bad at all, just some may notice a few times per round that they may think "I wish it was a slightly better ball".  I see it as a great way to start playing 1 particular ball in a cost effective way and find out what you do/don't like in a ball without having to experiment at $3.50-4/ball.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nessism said:

I loved v1 with irons and around the greens but lost distance with the driver. I don't usually notice that with balls but I did with this one. If they can make it slightly longer off the tee and keep the rest of it close to the same I'd be all in. When they do show up in Canada I'll buy the double dozen to try them out. A yellow version would be even better.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 hours ago, jpdx said:

Sooner we can get someone to cut one open, the sooner we all will know 😅

Layer look different than original K3, and consistent with the packaging diagram. Yellow and blue interior layers instead of red and green. Thicknesses seem to be similar but that’s eyeballing it and obviously no technical information on new layers. 

508C2B4F-859A-46BE-BF42-583B798A78D6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

I loved v1 with irons and around the greens but lost distance with the driver. I don't usually notice that with balls but I did with this one. If they can make it slightly longer off the tee and keep the rest of it close to the same I'd be all in. When they do show up in Canada I'll buy the double dozen to try them out. A yellow version would be even better.

I bought my two dozen package to use with persimmons, which I was playing exclusively at the start of the 2020 season.  Amusingly, I didn't lose any distance with the persimmon driver while using the 3 pc ball.  I *did* lose distance with irons, though, maybe slightly more than a half club on average?

But good lord, did it ever check on those 40 yd pitch shots.  LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

28 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

But good lord, did it ever check on those 40 yd pitch shots.  LOL

I really miss that about them. Its was fun.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If you only have $1/ball to spend, I think for 99% of golfers it was impossible to do better than the 3pc K-Sig that's been on the shelves the last couple years.

At $2 or $3 per ball there are better performing options out there but compared to a $20/dozen name-brand "soft distance" 2pc ball, the 3pc K-Sig was a no-brainer. 

• Like 1

Side by side it appears the core is larger in the new ball. I measured the relative size of the core diameter to overall on both balls and V2 is larger.

ballgallery_10.jpg

Edited by trackcoach13
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

13 minutes ago, trackcoach13 said:

Side by side it appears the core is larger in the new ball. I measured the relative size of the core diameter to overall on both balls and V2 is larger.

ballgallery_10.jpg

certainly notwithstanding camera tricking my eye or quality of shot or color combo, I saw the cover a smudge thinner. I’m just not sure if the core or second layer is larger. 

32 minutes ago, jpdx said:

certainly notwithstanding camera tricking my eye or quality of shot or color combo, I saw the cover a smudge thinner. I’m just not sure if the core or second layer is larger. 

I blew them up quite large and it seems the new ball has both slightly thinner cover and mantle. Of course it could be the camera angle...

Edited by trackcoach13

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 10/20/2020 at 11:12 AM, ThreeBoxers said:

Layer look different than original K3, and consistent with the packaging diagram. Yellow and blue interior layers instead of red and green. Thicknesses seem to be similar but that’s eyeballing it and obviously no technical information on new layers. 

Thanks for sacrificing a ball and posting this! Glad to see the v2.0 isn't just a new box.

Looking forward to reading some performance reviews. I have an unopened double dozen of the original 3 piece that I'll likely exchange for the v2.0 if they've solved the high driver and iron spin issues.

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

I wish there was a way to find out what stores had them.  I'll be travelling in the not too distant future and would love to know if the Costco around where I'm going has them.

Call them. Product code: 1465053

if you’re nice they’ll even check surrounding stores for you. 

Edited by jpdx
43 minutes ago, jgonz69 said:

Played 18 with the 3 piece v2.0 today. 
The cover feels different that the og, I thought that it felt more like what a “better” named ball would feel.

Distance off my drives were better that with the og 3 piece. I never felt that the old ball gave me my full distance that I was getting from the original 4 piece, or say a pro v1. The 2.0 was getting out there where my best drives would be with the balls I know give me my best distances.

I never had a problem with iron shots on the og 3 piece, and the 2.0 preformed just as well. 
I spin the ball a lot on short pitches and chips, and spun the ball a ton with the og, and I’m thinking I was getting a little less check on these, but still with what I would expect on my shots.

Putting the 2.0 felt really soft on the first putts with it on the putting green, but that was not a problem after a few putts, and I was not affected at all by the softer feel once on the course. They gave me the same distance control I expect from using the balls I’ve been using recently.

I think these balls will work better for me than the original 3 piece ball, where the driver distance was unacceptable, and since I was beginning to research Vice Pro, Snell MTB etc, these will stay in the bag until I decide if it’s worth the money to upgrade.

nice review, can't wait to try this ball. I still have 6 dozen of the OG 4 piece, and play the 3 piece v1 when I'm not on my a game, or the first few holes on a course I'm not too familiar with. I didn't notice much of a distance loss with the 3 piece that others have encountered, I hit one about 330 yards with it, but I would say on average the 4 piece goes a few yards further for me. Hopefully the Costcos near me get this ball in soon

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash sub zero
3 wood: Callaway Epic Flash sub zero
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport
Kirkland Tour ball/Snell MTB-X

I had time only for some short game work. Not a single shot greater than 30yds. 

I brought out a sleeve of new v1  and a sleeve of v2. I made a small mark in one dimple to be able to tell the difference. 

Feel is very similar on all chips and short pitches. I tried to challenge myself “which ball did I just hit” I couldn’t really from feel, tell which one was which from short fringe chips to roughly 30yd pitches.

Spin on both balls were very similar. But looking at the result and see how they reacted on the green, the v2 spun a little less and had a little more roll. Not significant as well struck chips both ended up manageable. 

off the putter I had 12 putts - it was getting dark with no lights and I wanted some putts before I couldn’t really see. Approx 4 ft and approx 9 feet. I did better with guessing which ball was which. I believe that it feels a smidge softer. But is small enough of a difference to me that unless I was paying attention specifically to that, I wouldn’t be able to tell. 

I may get out tomorrow so hopefully get an idea of of irons and driver. this is where I personally disliked the v1 ball and hope this is an improvement. 

Stumbled on the 2.0 today at the Costco In Gilbert Az. I loved the original 4 piece, but both me and a buddy independently determined they lost distance after a while and wrote it off to the az heat from storing in the garage. 

the 3 piece was 100% for sure short off the driver for me, and not by a couple of yards. I mean like hit it on the screws and then wtf why am I 20 yards short of where I should be?

Rolled these in the carpet with my ping Heppler putter which probably has the firmest face currently on the market, and I could not feel/hear a difference between the orig 3 piece and the 2.0. Can’t feel a difference in the core once cut open either.

I wont be able to get them on the course until tomorrow and will give a more thorough review. In the mean time, here is a side by side of v1 vs v2:

If I get the expected driver distance and they perform as well off the wedges and irons, it’s a winner for the $$

D16BA94E-37A3-4897-BDE3-17BF5A076E23.jpeg

CEB917BB-DD61-45F4-8764-4450BB330285.jpeg

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 4h
Cobra Forged Tec 2020
TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Ping Heppler Tyne 3