Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

52 minutes ago, Jim E said:

Does anyone know if the v2 is low, mid, or high compression ball?

V1. was listed as 90 on the spy...V2 feels pretty much the same to me, maybe just a hair more firm.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I finally put the V2 Kirkland 3-piece balls into play for the first time yesterday.  I have been playing the V1 balls regularly for a long time now and like them.  I couldn't tell the difference between the two versions except for one thing--the V2 balls seem to be much less durable and noticeably scuffed up so much that I took the first ball out of play after only 9 holes.  I was playing my normal mediocre golf and don't recall hitting any cart paths or other wise abusing them in an unusual way.  But, there were marks, rough spots and a "raised" bit of cover that I thought would affect its ability to fly straight.  I left the ball on the side of the 10th tee at the public course where I was playing thinking that another player would be happy to put it in play.  I'll continue to use them and the remaining 3 dozen V1 balls that I have to see if this is going to be a problem with the new balls.  I sure hope not as I've been able to play multiple rounds with the V1 balls without any problems with the covers other than the shininess diminishing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As the post above me stated, I gave these the time and money and they just didn’t perform. Like every other ball Kirkland has put out. Bad covers. Very fragile. My wedge grooves aren’t knew and they were gouging and cutting up the ball.

No harm and no foul. It’s a budget ball

so I expect them to suck. I’d still play them over a 2 or 3 piece ionimer or surlyn ball.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:14 PM, gioreeko said:

V1. was listed as 90 on the spy...V2 feels pretty much the same to me, maybe just a hair more firm.

In the ball test article, they list the compression as 106.7 so I assume that they changed their method of measuring since then.  In any case, it would be considered firm.

Edited by cardigan

I've been hitting the same V2 ball into a simulator for about 3 weeks.  Probably 50 to 100 shots a day and it's holding up as well as any of the Pro V1's that I've used.  No major tears or cracks in the cover.  It is starting to wear down a little, just like other premium balls.  It will eventually split and I'll replace it with something else.  But I don't see any significant difference from other urethane cover balls. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I've been hitting the same V2 ball into a simulator for about 3 weeks.  Probably 50 to 100 shots a day and it's holding up as well as any of the Pro V1's that I've used.  No major tears or cracks in the cover.  It is starting to wear down a little, just like other premium balls.  It will eventually split and I'll replace it with something else.  But I don't see any significant difference from other urethane cover balls. 

Everyone is different and every swing is different. Now, I know, over time, if I give the same punishment to a ProV1 with new grooves on my wedge that there will eventually be a problem. But, it's simple really, a steep angle of attack, wedge grooves, swing speed etc will all vary and ultimately ware down a ball faster or slower than it's comparison.

Also, keep in mind that hitting off a mat is not the same as grass. 

12 hours ago, ASN21 said:

Concerning to read about the cover durability but I am seeing more and more Kirkland golf balls on the course. I think for some the value proposition is too good to pass up. 

It is what it is. I continue to be excited for all the new guys finding the game and learning. They have the opportunity to use a very decent ball with urethane cover readily available that is not DTC business oriented at their local wholesale store. It's genius that Kirkland is getting into golf (and rest assure, have BIG plans for the future which are in talks). Their golf ball is the "Glock" of golf balls in that, for the price, they can't be beat. Same with their gloves. 

To be totally fair, the original TP5 was a $43 - $45 dollar dozen and was more fragile than the cover on this so that speaks volumes. 

I said it before and I'll say it again, I give Costco money for one box of these because I like to try to them out. But, my money goes towards golf companies to support that "littler" business and grow the sport. The 4 pc is coming soon and you should all buy it and give it a try! I will buy a box then go back to supporting my favorite GOLF BRANDS. 

Edited by Stanks

Orland Park IL had a full pallet of wedges, putters, V2 balls and gloves. Getting ready for spring. An awful lot of snow to melt first

• Sad 1

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

On 2/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, Stanks said:

As the post above me stated, I gave these the time and money and they just didn’t perform. Like every other ball Kirkland has put out. Bad covers. Very fragile. My wedge grooves aren’t knew and they were gouging and cutting up the ball.

No harm and no foul. It’s a budget ball

so I expect them to suck. I’d still play them over a 2 or 3 piece ionimer or surlyn ball.

Is this an update with some important nuance added? Or did you forget you posted basically the same thing a couple of weeks ago?

1 hour ago, Stanks said:

Update. I appreciate you following up on me. Thank you! 

No problem. But to be perfectly honest about it, I'm following the thread - as I have been since its inception 4+ years ago - more than I'm following you in particular. It's just that your posts have stood out a little more than the typical ones, in a man-bites-dog sort of way. I still don't see what was updated, or what new perspective was brought to the discussion, but you did get some of the attention I assume you were trying to elicit. None of that is a problem with me - this is an open forum, after all, but I'll warn you that if you want to counter every positive post about the Kirkland balls, you're going to be spending a hell of a lot of time in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

No problem. But to be perfectly honest about it, I'm following the thread - as I have been since its inception 4+ years ago - more than I'm following you in particular. It's just that your posts have stood out a little more than the typical ones, in a man-bites-dog sort of way. I still don't see what was updated, or what new perspective was brought to the discussion, but you did get some of the attention I assume you were trying to elicit. None of that is a problem with me - this is an open forum, after all, but I'll warn you that if you want to counter every positive post about the Kirkland balls, you're going to be spending a hell of a lot of time in this thread.

Appreciated brother! I’ll always let any and everyone hold their own opinion to their own experience (as I’m more than likely not there when they play), but the consistency is key. Durability is a factor that continues to need attention. 
Can I provide any other insight for You?

25 minutes ago, Stanks said:

Appreciated brother! I’ll always let any and everyone hold their own opinion to their own experience (as I’m more than likely not there when they play), but the consistency is key. Durability is a factor that continues to need attention. 
Can I provide any other insight for You?

Just keep us posted if the durability changes. Or if it doesn't.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

Just keep us posted if the durability changes. Or if it doesn't.

I don’t plan to buy more but, new wedges on the way could mean distasteful for the cover of the next ones played. That being said, I’m trying out the RZN balls tomorrow so, Kirklands will be taking a backseat.

32 minutes ago, jpdx said:

the bolded line. Interesting - got any insight on that?

Not mine to say. 

21 hours ago, Stanks said:

I don’t plan to buy more but, new wedges on the way could mean distasteful for the cover of the next ones played. That being said, I’m trying out the RZN balls tomorrow so, Kirklands will be taking a backseat.

Not mine to say. 

Nike Rzn tours are my all time favorite balls. Love to hear you thoughts. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, ASN21 said:

Concerning to read about the cover durability but I am seeing more and more Kirkland golf balls on the course. I think for some the value proposition is too good to pass up. 

Well, at 1/4 the price of Pro V1s, it’s a better proposition for many golfers. The guys who are losing the balls you are finding, don’t necessarily care if the ball needs to be replaced after 18 holes. 

frankly, the Pro V1, needs to last four times as long for the durability to matter. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:34 PM, PuttCurseRepeat said:

Ok, so long. See you in the RZN thread. 👋

I’d play the RZN over the Kirkland any day of the week. You gonna head over there and give them a try out?

22 hours ago, jpdx said:

Nike Rzn tours are my all time favorite balls. Love to hear you thoughts. 

Solid ball. Doesn’t feel like the Platinums of old but I used the 3 piece. Still wanna try the 4 piece. As stated above, exponentially more durable and better performing than the new Kirkland V2.

4 hours ago, Stanks said:

I’d play the RZN over the Kirkland any day of the week. You gonna head over there and give them a try out?

Solid ball. Doesn’t feel like the Platinums of old but I used the 3 piece. Still wanna try the 4 piece. As stated above, exponentially more durable and better performing than the new Kirkland V2.

I look forward to trying them out. But theres 0 chance that they’ll be my goto when I can get a snell for the same price if I get 5 dz, let alone a quality double dozen for $12-$15. 

besides, the stock of old Nike rzn black and platinums in my closet total 20+ at the moment. 😂 

edit: i only bring out the rzn tours on nice vacation golf and tourneys. When I’m out of my Nike balls and the og ksig 4pc. I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I really like the rzn but that website is super sketch. 😝 I have time though. Probably at least 5yrs worth still. 

Edited by jpdx

So is it fair to say Costco has not been able to "re-create" the ProV1 at 1/4 the cost except for the original 4-piece?

Not saying the new version or many other versions aren't a great value, perfectly adequate for many, or even better for some.  But the idea that Costco can just bang suppliers over the head, copy other designs/technology, and make the same thing is false?

I haven't read all 545 pages but in the past people just kept saying "wait for the next one," "soon," "it will be better next time," etc, etc.  Just wondering if some of the blind faith has failed to materialize?

Played today with the V2 after taking a few weeks off due to injuring my thumb doing some Super speed training. Decided against gaming my OG 4 piece Kirkland's or Snell as I hoped to just swing super easy as to not aggravate the thumb. Played all 18 with the same ball, really impressive performance, cover looked brand new, and that's with 4 sand shots today. Hit one around 300 with a decent tail wind, and was very surprised at how much further these seemed to go vs. the V1 Kirklands. My stepsons a bomber too, and plays ProV1x's, and he played one ball for about the last 16 holes. No sand shots for him. Both the Kirkland and ProV1 looked very fresh. Not sure where anyone would question the cover durability unless it's someone taking some bad hacks on the ball.......

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

I doubt it. I'm not a big fan of paying double for something for no good reason.

all good brother! The value lies with the person spending the $$$. Durability on my mind is a big topic. Since you have read my posts prior, you’d be aware of that. The RZN is more robust than all Kirkland models offered thus far. I could get 2 - 3 rounds on one of these instead of maybe 9 holes on a Kirkland. That being said, it totally differentiates between the individual hitting the ball.

50 minutes ago, jpdx said:

I look forward to trying them out. But theres 0 chance that they’ll be my goto when I can get a snell for the same price if I get 5 dz, let alone a quality double dozen for $12-$15. 

besides, the stock of old Nike rzn black and platinums in my closet total 20+ at the moment. 😂 

edit: i only bring out the rzn tours on nice vacation golf and tourneys. When I’m out of my Nike balls and the og ksig 4pc. I’m not sure what I’m going to do. I really like the rzn but that website is super sketch. 😝 I have time though. Probably at least 5yrs worth still. 

Snell is solid. Probably my favorite DTC model ball but haven’t tried the new Vice models since they’ve fixed them. 
I actually sold my last RZN tour plats maybe a year or so ago and made $50 bucks a box on top of what I paid. Looks like you could get that now as well.

27 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

So is it fair to say Costco has not been able to "re-create" the ProV1 at 1/4 the cost except for the original 4-piece?

Not saying the new version or many other versions aren't a great value, perfectly adequate for many, or even better for some.  But the idea that Costco can just bang suppliers over the head, copy other designs/technology, and make the same thing is false?

I haven't read all 545 pages but in the past people just kept saying "wait for the next one," "soon," "it will be better next time," etc, etc.  Just wondering if some of the blind faith has failed to materialize?

It’s hard to really capitalize on that. Kirkland actually has high standards for their brand label products. Will they ever be the ProV1? Nah. They’ll be alternative with a cult following. Like every other model in ball out there. I gave all of their models a shot but, they’ll never be “the ball” for me because of durability issues. 

7 minutes ago, Stanks said:

It’s hard to really capitalize on that. Kirkland actually has high standards for their brand label products. Will they ever be the ProV1? Nah. They’ll be alternative with a cult following. Like every other model in ball out there. I gave all of their models a shot but, they’ll never be “the ball” for me because of durability issues. 

Gotcha.  I think the Kirkland balls are a good option in the marketplace.  But I had my doubts that they could truly recreate a tour level ball at that price.  There seemed to be a very unique set of circumstances around the original 4-piece balls.  And as far as I can tell, they haven't been able to duplicate the effort since.  So in no way am I trying to bash the ball.  It was more related to a general question of "what does it cost" and what are the broader trade-offs between copy-cat products (cheaper price now) vs. profit margins that support R&D/innovation, etc.

I believe in other cases the branded OEM is/was often making Kirkland's products.  They just cut out the marketing and overhead.  But selling a 4-piece urethane for 1/4 the cost was going to require a lot more than that.

• Like 1