2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

Gotcha.  I think the Kirkland balls are a good option in the marketplace.  But I had my doubts that they could truly recreate a tour level ball at that price.  There seemed to be a very unique set of circumstances around the original 4-piece balls.  And as far as I can tell, they haven't been able to duplicate the effort since.  So in no way am I trying to bash the ball.  It was more related to a general question of "what does it cost" and what are the broader trade-offs between copy-cat products (cheaper price now) vs. profit margins that support R&D/innovation, etc.

I believe in other cases the branded OEM is/was often making Kirkland's products.  They just cut out the marketing and overhead.  But selling a 4-piece urethane for 1/4 the cost was going to require a lot more than that.

Yeah a lot of people misconstrue my perceptions as bashing and I'm sure I come off that way but, I call it how I see it when it comes to the durability factor on the ball. In the grand scheme of things, we, as a consumer, don't quite know what it costs to make a ball but can speculate all we want. It is true that many of the big boys make their own balls in house. Many make a formula and have it made elsewhere. But the big boys have to pay for sponsorships and pros names. That is easily the reason that some balls cost so much compared to materials and labor. Kirkland doesn't need to any of that.  

Well it is bashing, plain and simple, and you made your biases clear a few messages ago when you stated that you favor balls made by small supplier who contribute to the development of the game.  These factors are certainly legitimate if these are your priorities, but they have nothing to do with performance.

I see your comments about durability to be totally inconsistent with my experience.  I play the original 4 piece, and it is a more durable ball than the ProV’s that I played for years.  I am a low handicap player who knows a thing or two about golf ball performance, and I am now paying twice as much on ebay to get the original 4 piece than what Costco originally charged.  Why would I do this?  Because it is a comparable, if not better, performing golf ball to the ProVs, with a more durable cover.  

Edited by torbill
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, torbill said:

Well it is bashing, plain and simple, and you made your biases clear a few messages ago when you stated that you favor balls made by small supplier who contribute to the development of the game.  These factors are certainly legitimate if these are your priorities, but they have nothing to do with performance.

I see your comments about durability to be totally inconsistent with my experience.  I play the original 4 piece, and it is a more durable ball than the ProV’s that I played for years.  I am a low handicap player who knows a thing or two about golf ball performance, and I am now paying twice as much on ebay to get the original 4 piece than what Costco originally charged.  Why would I do this?  Because it is a comparable, if not better, performing golf ball to the ProVs, with a more durable cover.  

Maybe he works for a ball company, lol. The OG 4 piece is as good, if not better, than a ProV1, which I've played pretty much since they've come out. When time allows, I still do little tests where I'll hit a second shot with a ProV1 and see how it compares with the Kirkland OG 4 piece. Very similar distance wise, but on the green, the Kirkland backs up a lot more than the ProV1's. Durability is actually about the same, but the Kirkland may have the edge slightly there. My stepson has similar results when he's lucky enough for me to give him a few balls, lol. For reference, we both are big guys, I'm 6'6" and he's 6'3", both have swing speeds between 115 and 120. Can't wait to see what the new 4 piece looks like. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, gioreeko said:

Maybe he works for a ball company, lol. The OG 4 piece is as good, if not better, than a ProV1, which I've played pretty much since they've come out. When time allows, I still do little tests where I'll hit a second shot with a ProV1 and see how it compares with the Kirkland OG 4 piece. Very similar distance wise, but on the green, the Kirkland backs up a lot more than the ProV1's. Durability is actually about the same, but the Kirkland may have the edge slightly there. My stepson has similar results when he's lucky enough for me to give him a few balls, lol. For reference, we both are big guys, I'm 6'6" and he's 6'3", both have swing speeds between 115 and 120. Can't wait to see what the new 4 piece looks like. 

I'm looking forward to the new 4 piece as well.

• Like 1

I actually played the “free” 4-piece all summer.  It was a good ball, but not as good as the original 4-piece.  The cover on it *was* less durable, but I never cut it, like some.  When Titleist sued Costco over the original 4-piece one of their claims was that the Costco ball cover was less durable than advertised.  I thought to myself, ha pot calls kettle black.  So I played one of the Kirklands for 10(!) rounds as a test case.  At that point the ball had lost all of its sheen, but there were no dings and the ball was still playable. The cover on the original 4-piece has been great, for me.   

23 hours ago, Stanks said:

all good brother! The value lies with the person spending the $$$. Durability on my mind is a big topic. Since you have read my posts prior, you’d be aware of that. The RZN is more robust than all Kirkland models offered thus far. 

Of course I'm aware of that - you've been repeating yourself for the past three weeks in this thread. 😂 Maybe you are trying to convince yourself of certain things. 🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, torbill said:

Dude, you're totally misconstruing what he's saying. He's not bashing - he's just saying all Kirkland balls don't perform, they're very fragile and bad.

And they suck.

Edited by PuttCurseRepeat
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

Of course I'm aware of that - you've been repeating yourself for the past three weeks in this thread. 😂 Maybe you are trying to convince yourself of certain things. 🤷‍♂️

Dude, you're totally misconstruing what he's saying. He's not bashing - he's just saying all Kirkland balls don't perform, they're very fragile and bad.

And they suck.

Yes! That’s correct. For the price, they’re money. In the grand scheme of balls and who they’re intended to compete against, they’re a hard pass for me. 

On 2/10/2021 at 11:10 PM, Stanks said:

I said it before and I'll say it again, I give Costco money for one box of these because I like to try to them out. But, my money goes towards golf companies to support that "littler" business and grow the sport. The 4 pc is coming soon and you should all buy it and give it a try! I will buy a box then go back to supporting my favorite GOLF BRANDS. 

Advertising works.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jpdx said:

rookie. 😂😊

Agreed.

I attempted to return half of my remaining stock (10 dozen OG) a few months back until the Costco rep asked if I was insane. He said if I want to sell them he will give me cash for them on his break. I decided to keep them despite my wife's sighs. So here I sit with a couple of feet of snow on the ground and 20 dozen KSIGs waiting for spring.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 hour ago, trackcoach13 said:

Agreed.

I attempted to return half of my remaining stock (10 dozen OG) a few months back until the Costco rep asked if I was insane. He said if I want to sell them he will give me cash for them on his break. I decided to keep them despite my wife's sighs. So here I sit with a couple of feet of snow on the ground and 20 dozen KSIGs waiting for spring.

10 dozen OG's ....nice!  hopefully the new 4 piece is better

7 hours ago, monks66 said:

10 dozen OG's ....nice!  hopefully the new 4 piece is better

Actually, I worded that badly. I tried to return 10 dz which is half of my stock of 20 dz. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

I'm still laughing at your wife's reaction.

A long time ago I was a member of the original Ham and Eggs on Golf community... my username was GolfBallHo. My wife still threatens me about having multiple thousands of golf balls in stock. I no longer spree buy like I used too but I can't help buying a dozen of each new offering to try out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trackcoach13 said:

A long time ago I was a member of the original Ham and Eggs on Golf community... my username was GolfBallHo. My wife still threatens me about having multiple thousands of golf balls in stock. I no longer spree buy like I used too but I can't help buying a dozen of each new offering to try out.

I remember that moniker from the old Ham and Egg days.  

• Like 1

Getting back to Kirkland golf balls, I like the new V2 balls. I've shot my two lowest rounds ever in the past few weeks with it.  It's longer than the original 3 piece ball, which I still have a sleeve or two left. I use those when having a bad day.   I still have about 3 dozen original 4 piece balls left waiting for warmer weather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lvphil702 said:

Getting back to Kirkland golf balls, I like the new V2 balls. I've shot my two lowest rounds ever in the past few weeks with it.  It's longer than the original 3 piece ball, which I still have a sleeve or two left. I use those when having a bad day.   I still have about 3 dozen original 4 piece balls left waiting for warmer weather. 

Congrats on good rounds. I wish I was able to play but we have several feet of snow.:classic_angry:

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, mgolf193 said:

There are some cheaper ECCO golf shoes listed on Costco's website right now FYI

They also have some Travis Mathew apparel. They need to put "golf" in this listings. That's usually what I type and TM never came up. 

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

22 hours ago, mgolf193 said:

There are some cheaper ECCO golf shoes listed on Costco's website right now FYI

Sadly none in my size... (not a shock).

I'm looking forward to the new 4 piece ball... and seeing green grass.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

9 minutes ago, theboypinoy said:

For the Travis Mathew stuff, depending on location, it can pay off to be patient if you don't need it right away.

The quarter zips routinely start at 39.99 or so then drop down to 19.99 with a full size run. The polos go to 9.99 with a full run as well at the local warehouse for me. 

I've never seen TM at the KC warehouses. Only Greg Norman...meh

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

On 2/20/2021 at 7:07 PM, bhj83 said:

They also have some Travis Mathew apparel. They need to put "golf" in this listings. That's usually what I type and TM never came up. 

Travis Mathew at Costco? The one problem I have with Costco is, I question the authenticity of some high end brands, particularly clothing. Every time I've seen golf clothing for example, i.e.: Callaway, Sunice. The logo is on there, but the quality of the clothing is way off. I think they are liscencing the brand name, but making the clothes on the cheap. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro