2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Favorite old timer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say my favorite old timers are:

Big stu, fellaheen51, old school rocker, and forged4ever. ;)

My favorite "old time" golfers Hogan, Trevino, Snead, And Patty Berg.

Can't leave the women out!

Good point. Micky Wright deserves some love. One of the best swings ever...

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 1 year later...

Favorite old time golfer - Emilio "Chico" Miartuz. Best ball striking I have ever seen. Watched him strike balls from under a Banyan tree off the dirt with a driver when he was 60. A pleasure to watch. Had a great short game and sand game. Designed putters and wedges and irons under the Tomahawk name. He played the tour during the mid 1950's to early 1960's until an injury to his right hand where they had to cut his tendons shortened his golf career. Had a short fuse and was considered to be one of the hotheads on the tour such as Tommy Bolt. This I can vouch for since I have seen it first hand. His motion was very similar to Sneads. I had the pleasure of playing with him at Bayshore Golf Course on Miami Beach where he was the pro for many years. Never took a divot always would sweep the ball off the grass. As good as a ball striker as he was, he had the personality to match it. RIP my friend

I knew when I spotted this wedge that the pro's name and his line had been mentioned on the WRX.

had been researching Northwestern golf a while back, a former Chicago golf club manufacturer.

possible that another member knows when this was manufactured.

thought you might like to see these pics.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Favorite old time golfer - Emilio "Chico" Miartuz. Best ball striking I have ever seen. Watched him strike balls from under a Banyan tree off the dirt with a driver when he was 60. A pleasure to watch. Had a great short game and sand game. Designed putters and wedges and irons under the Tomahawk name. He played the tour during the mid 1950's to early 1960's until an injury to his right hand where they had to cut his tendons shortened his golf career. Had a short fuse and was considered to be one of the hotheads on the tour such as Tommy Bolt. This I can vouch for since I have seen it first hand. His motion was very similar to Sneads. I had the pleasure of playing with him at Bayshore Golf Course on Miami Beach where he was the pro for many years. Never took a divot always would sweep the ball off the grass. As good as a ball striker as he was, he had the personality to match it. RIP my friend

I knew when I spotted this wedge that the pro's name and his line had been mentioned on the WRX.

had been researching Northwestern golf a while back, a former Chicago golf club manufacturer.

possible that another member knows when this was manufactured.

thought you might like to see these pics.

best to all.

Actually I had and played one of those in 56*--- Saw it at Wal Mart one night in the clearance aisle for $5 and bought it. Loved that thing but as much golf as I was playing at the time it wore out quickly both sole and face. We were playing a match on time at the old Carolina Country Club in Charlotte. #12 was a layup par 4 off the tee because of a creek in front of it. I usually hit the 1 iron there. I did that day and really caught it flush and it went in the creek on a little sand bar. I played it out of there with "Chico" and holed it out for an eagle. From then on the creek was referred to as "Chico's Creek" among some of us. Sad thing is the hole no longer exists. They redesigned the original Ross design and that hole along with some others was eliminated. I had to think back and that wedge was made in the late 70s early 80s because that is the time frame I was playing at Carolina CC a lot and had moved back to Charlotte briefly and that was in 84 and 85

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Makes you wonder what’s going through someone’s mind when they feel it necessary to re-design a Ross.

I can tell you it ticked my bud off so bad he quit and joined another club and his family had been members there for 3 generations. What happened with that club is a lot of the old money died out and new members came in and you can imagine the rest.

Actually I had and played one of those in 56*--- Saw it at Wal Mart one night in the clearance aisle for $5 and bought it. Loved that thing but as much golf as I was playing at the time it wore out quickly both sole and face. We were playing a match on time at the old Carolina Country Club in Charlotte. #12 was a layup par 4 off the tee because of a creek in front of it. I usually hit the 1 iron there. I did that day and really caught it flush and it went in the creek on a little sand bar. I played it out of there with "Chico" and holed it out for an eagle. From then on the creek was referred to as "Chico's Creek" among some of us. Sad thing is the hole no longer exists. They redesigned the original Ross design and that hole along with some others was eliminated. I had to think back and that wedge was made in the late 70s early 80s because that is the time frame I was playing at Carolina CC a lot and had moved back to Charlotte briefly and that was in 84 and 85

there was a time in the 90's I didn't play woods. all irons from the zero on down.

TA called their driving iron a Heater. fourteen degrees of butter knife.

benefits. one swing. bag fit in any vehicle.

any new player in the group did at least one double take.

those times were fun.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

there was a time in the 90's I didn't play woods. all irons from the zero on down.T A called their driving iron a Heater. fourteen degrees of butter knife.

benefits. one swing. bag fit in any vehicle.

any new player in the group did at least one double take.

those times were fun.

Well glad to see you came to this side of town welcome! Yeah I saw the fine print in the signature about 12 bags of clubs to choose from. I can see where you and I could get along fine. Talk about looks back in the day. I carried a real odd ball set up Driver 6 wood and Ping 1 iron on the top end and still carried and hit blade long irons too. Today I still get some odd ball looks from time to time because I still carry blade long irons no hybrid and a 16* fairway wood. But giving the right circumstances and lie I can still hit my driver off the deck if need be.

Makes you wonder what’s going through someone’s mind when they feel it necessary to re-design a Ross.

the original eighteen holes at our course were designed by a fellow named Edward Dearie in the thirties.

the course history states he was a Ross architect.

the place has some interesting features.

I love that many traps have longish fringe at the edges, like scruffy eyebrows.

number seven fairway was pinched in two places, like a double hourglass,

many of the greens have elevation so even for a parkland course you can try some good run up shots.

some years ago they added a nine hole layout on the east side of the property that stayed true to the concept, has risk/reward features.

a recent RFP for a refresh of the place has me wondering what they are thinking of going for besides a bigger restaurant.

I am fortunate to live close by.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Bobby Jones, Snead, Hogan, Palmer, Player Trevino, and of course Nicklaus. Seve and Miller were also fantastic, as was Watson. And Crenshaw. And they say the field is "deeper" these days. It puts Nicklaus career in perspective as he basically competed and won against all of these except Jones, Snead , and Hogan. Somewhat against Hogan and Snead, but they were near the end of their careers as his was beginning.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Dana Quigley is high on my list. The dude just loved the game, played nearly every day and was a big fan of using hybrid irons on tour - his bag did NOT have to look like a "playa's" bag.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

3 pages in and not one mention of Jay Don Blake? Only thing I can think of is maybe not old enough?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Jones,Hagen,Cotton,Sarazen. venue Sandwich using Nicoll Cotton irons.

Nelson,Hogan,Snead,Demaret. venue Augusta using Apex II

Stranahan,Locke,Horton,Vicenzo. venue Troon using Macgregor Lh2 wingbacks.

Watson,Trevino,Chi-Chi,Arnie. venue Muirfield using Ram TG.

Faldo,Seve,Woosie,Olly. venue Wentworth using Mizuno TP-9.

I don't believe the talk that the game is 'deeper' now,I think that there is an abundance of mediocrity and people earning serious money by being average,Old-timers learned to play the hard way,by experience and grinding it out,now we have swing coaches,short game coaches,putting coaches,mental coaches ad absurdum.

Players are fitter now because they are healthier,our understanding of dietary issues is tremendously advanced and we are alert to the fact that smoking is a very real health risk and not the great social attribute as advertised mid-20th century.

If offered a dream game right now it would be Ariya Jutanugarn,Lydia Ko,Brooke Henderson and So Yeon Ryu.

Yeah,a five-ball,so what?!

Pick the bones outta that!

Sorry but this has ended up as a favourites/dream team/venue and club choice Christmas list!

I thought it might be fun to put forward a team of old timers. How about a European team (I am on that side of the pond) of the following, which deliberately excludes some of the more prominent players such as Seve and Faldo:

Neil Coles

Christy O'Connor Snr

Christy O'Connor Jnr

Brian Huggett

John Panton

Brian Barnes

Manuel Pinero

Jose Maria Canizares

Tommy Horton

Peter Oosterhuis

Antonio Garrido

Bernard Gallacher

I thought it might be fun to put forward a team of old timers. How about a European team (I am on that side of the pond) of the following, which deliberately excludes some of the more prominent players such as Seve and Faldo:

Neil Coles

Christy O'Connor Snr

Christy O'Connor Jnr

Brian Huggett

John Panton

Brian Barnes

Manuel Pinero

Jose Maria Canizares

Tommy Horton

Peter Oosterhuis

Antonio Garrido

Bernard Gallacher

Some great ball strikers in there... Pity some never got the major invites they deserved

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby Jones, and then Ben Hogan of course.

Was watching Seve, the Movie on the Golf Channel last night. Man, it brought back memory. Love the guy.

Imagine all those asking which golf set to get , every time new equipment came out .......... he played with a single 3 iron for the first few years, that's why he has the different shots and the imagination for shot making.

BTW, he never complained about the bad lie, because he practiced on the sandy beach so every shot is a bad lie.

My favorite, and the guy I've studied the most, is Ben Hogan.

But I want to point out another guy that I always loved to watch and root for but no one has mentioned: Tom Kite.

I think just about everyone had more physical talent than Kite. He looked more like your uncle the accountant than a champion golfer but he outworked and out-thought just about everyone. Ton of respect for that guy.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Jones

Snead

Nelson

Jack

Watson

Seve

Payne Stewart

Oh and while I never really saw him play, 5 time Open Champion Peter Thompson had one of the greatest games ever. Watched him in a SWWOG match vs. Player today. His swing was a pure thing of beauty.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly