2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist 904F

I just got this club yesterday. It came with the factory Speeder in Stiff flex. With this shaft and flex, the thing was a hook machine. I could not hit anything but a snap hook. I slapped about 6 strips of lead tape on the toe and it helped...it brought the weight up and keep the face open. I was still drawing it more than I like, but I already new I'd have to change the shaft out.

The thing was long though. When I could keep in from hooking, it was nearly as long as my driver. Very hot face. Once I get the right shaft I think I'll really like it. My favorite FW shaft is the old Fuji Vista Pro 90X...for some reason, it just works for me...so I'll probably pick up one of those and have a weapon!

BLADE

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got this club yesterday.  It came with the factory Speeder in Stiff flex.  With this shaft and flex, the thing was a hook machine.  I could not hit anything but a snap hook.  I slapped about 6 strips of lead tape on the toe and it helped...it brought the weight up and keep the face open.  I was still drawing it more than I like, but I already new I'd have to change the shaft out. 

The thing was long though.  When I could keep in from hooking, it was nearly as long as my driver.  Very hot face.  Once I get the right shaft I think I'll really like it.  My favorite FW shaft is the old Fuji Vista Pro 90X...for some reason, it just works for me...so I'll probably pick up one of those and have a weapon!

BLADE

4344[/snapback]

I had a very similar experience with the same set up. Let us know if the shaft change helped. I would be interested because the 904 head felt great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a 904F 15 degree with an NV75 shaft in a St. Louis golf shop. They must have ordered it for someone, and they didn't take it. This is the best fairway wood I've ever owned. I had my "major" last weekend, and the course we play on the second day is perfect for 3 wood teeshots, and I was killing this club. Dead straight, and long. My three wood was out driving one of my competitor's drives by 30-40 yards.

I haven't had the best results with it off the deck, so I mainly use it off the tee. I'm sure it has something to do with my swing, and not the club. I think I go after it a little too hard when it's down or something. I've been using my 503.H for those shots until I get the kinks worked out with the 904F.

• 2 months later...

I have been a loyal Cleveland fan for years when it comes to fairway woods. In April went to see the Titleist rep when he came to test the new 905T driver...loyal Titleist fan when it comes to drivers. Bought the 905T and also ended up with both a 15 and 19 degree 904 fairway woods. Both 904s are with the Titleist Speeder stiff flex. This club will not hit itself, but with a decent club, the results are incredible. Mid/high-trajectory boring ball flight. Was hitting my 15 degree launcher about 225yds off the deck. Can hit the 904 240yds off the deck, 250 off a tee...so the distance is much improved for me. This club is easy to work left or right, and has the ability to hit with a mid/high trajectory or low burners under the wind.

One person in this chain stated they thought the 904 was only good for producing hooks. Honestly, this does not make any since, since the 904 has a square set up...yes you can hook the snot out of it if you close the face, but normal misses for most folks should be a fade/slice...so if hooks are the norm, I would consider that a cause of an individuals swing and not the club.

Titleist 913D2 9.5* Grafalloy PL Red
Titleist 913F 15* Diamana S+
Titleist 913H 19/21/24* Diamana S+
Cobra Amp 5-GW
Ping Tour-S 56 & 60*
Ping Sydney

I don't know...I play with a 904 15 degree with stiff speeder shaft and it definately has a draw bias to it. If I play off the tee, I open up the club face or always hook the ball. Very difficult to to fade or slice the ball so I use it to take the right side out of play. Other than the draw bias, this club has an amazingly strong flight profile and goes almost as long as my driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 970, loved the looks but the darn thing was too small and I wasn't (most probarbly still ain't) good enough to hit it, the 904F for me is the next best thing, looks great, simple with all the right curves.

My one sets up dead square, could be the fact that it was given to a pro for his use or maybe I just go lucky, but I don't have any hooking problems with it, the only time I hook it is if I put a butt ugly swing on it.

Feel is superb, very solid, from the feedback alone you know whether or not you've hit a good shot.

Distance is stupid long, sometimes too long, when nutted its not far off my driver.

Not the most forgiving fairway wood but boy do your good strikes get rewarded.

Its great off the tee and also pretty useful of the deck, can get a nice high ball flight or a low boring one.

In all 4.5 out 5 (nothings perfect!)

I've had a 13 with the speeder for about 6 months now.

Very solid feeling head. Not necessarily the most forgiving head in the world, though I've not had it send mishits all over the place (it penalizes in yards, not direction).

I like the flight - it doesn't upshoot - though the acid test would be whether a 17 had the same flight characteristics.

The head appeals to the traditionalist.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello world. This my first post on WRX.

I have a 904f 17* (5wood) with a 42.5" (3wood) XS YS-6+. This set up enables me to get maximum distance and maintain a softer landing profile. That is I can send it anywhere in the 235-250 range and it stops when I get the ball up with a higher trajectory; even with a draw flight path. I do not carry a 3wood and my driver is a 983k at 9.5 (275-290 approx). Most commonly fairway accuracy is needed in the range of 230-250 but not above that on approaches (usually) so this is the set up that does it best for me I have found.

This club is workable, period, with a true Titleist 'feel' <solid and highly reliable>. Since golf is at minimum 50% confidence, that is my recommendation. The rest is an issue of configuration and skill.

I can move the ball l-r and r-l / high or low with relative ease. That is, the club is responsive to subtle changes in swing path and attack angles. I would recommend this club to folks who will be able to tell the difference (you know who you are) and not an average wknd golfer (due to the price when fitted properly and not getting one from "off the rack" or Ebay).

I will not get rid of this club with this set up for a long time. I would have to be shown otherwise to replace this club with this config. Perhaps forcibly! ;-)

I've had a 15 deg with S300 for a few months and am loving it. Previously I had 975F 13.5 bore-through and then a 975F 14.5 non-bore, both with Grafalloy Prolite 35S.

Interestingly, the DGS300 15 deg is longer than both the graphite shafted ones!! It feels a lot heavier than I expected, but the weight seems to inspire confidence when digging it out of the grass. As others have mentioned, it's not a heap shorter than my driver when I go after it.

I'll be getting a 19 deg with DGS300 as soon as funds become available...

• 1 month later...

Played a few rounds with a 13* with the stock Speeder shaft. Great off the deck and the rough but has a tendency to draw or hook, especially off the tee. As a matter of fact, I have yet to hit it off the tee without it drawing/hooking. Not a swing issue since I didn't have that problem with my other 3 woods. Maybe an issue with the shaft? Still a very solid 3 wood.

Definitely the best 3w I have played. I got a 15* with the stock speeder shaft. I can hit it both ways, and can hit it real low or high, its just a fun club to play with. Center hits were maybe ten yards longer than my previous 3w (15* launcher titanium), and you cant beat that Titleist feel. Nothing bad to say about it.

Used the 15 degree with an Aldila NV 75-S. Looks great. People often mention that it's closed but the one I tested was dead square. Feel of the clubface is good, very solid not tinny at all. Pretty forgiving though and I achieved better than expected height with it. In fact the height was perfect. Clocked up good yardages, definently pushing on towards 250 yards. Great club, 5 stars.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I have a pair of 980F's, as well as a 904F 17* 4 wood. Here's my review.....

APPEARANCE - The first thing I noticed about the 904F fairway woods was the more square clubface on the 904F vs the previous 980F. It reminded me of Cobra fairway woods, which have a very square appearance, rather than the rounded soleplate and face of the 980F series.

FEEL - The feeling at impact is more of a metallic feel/sound to it than the previous 980F series, which had a more muted sound quality to them. The 904's feel slightly more crisp feeling than the 980F's, but still retain that wonderful Titleist feel. I love the feel of Titleist fairway woods.

PERFORMANCE - I sensed that the 904's were a bit more forgiving, and tended to fly straighter than the 980F's. Ballflight was very long, straight, and fairly controllable left/right. I've demoed 904F's with both the Speeder 553 Fairway shaft, the Graphite Design YS shafts. Both felt tremendous, and were very controllable.

SUMMARY - I still love the feeling of my 980F's, but the 904's felt more forgiving for most players. They feel good off the turf, and seem to have a more forgiving face, and don't get away from you (no bad slices/hooks). The best aspect of these clubs is the supremely solid feel - I love the feel and sound of Titleist fairway woods.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally retired my trusty Orlimar Trimetal 5 wood. I had it for nearly 10 years and was a great club to me. I replaced it just this past week for the 904f 19 degree in r-flex with a Graphite Design YS-6. I am pretty sure this will stay in the bag for the next 10 years as well. I smoked this baby straight or with a gentle fade every single time.

All the positive adjectives used to describe this magnificent fairway wood have been used, so I will just say this...if you are looking for a new fairway wood, you would do yourself an injustice if you did not try the Titleist line, particularly now with the prices coming down in anticipation of the new line due out in a few months.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...