Jim Hardy - The Release: Golf's Moment of Truth

MaccaRayDudley

Still not sold on the RIT. It's really hard to do each time. I often find myself failing to do extension going back, flexion going forward, "throwing the club," etc. And when I revert to the LOP (which is my 'natural' release) it feels good and strong. I switched to the RIT because (a) I have a one-plane swing with a lot of rotation and (b) I fight (really fight) a pull. But if I don't do the RIT correctly, I either pull or push it, depending upon which element I fail to execute.

At least I know what ails me, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

The combination of Monte's set up changes (much closer to the ball and a more upright stance) and the RIT throwing the right wrist angle away is leading to some seriously good ball striking. Just need to make sure that, in transition, I keep the hips and shoulders closed as long as possible. I had also no idea that the hands and arms could be so close to the body at and through impact. Never understood how PGA tour players could stand and swing so close to the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

I quit. The RIT, that is. Maybe it's because my swing isn't as one-plane as I thought. Maybe I just need to do it a lot more. Maybe I need professional instruction on how to do it. But the results I'm getting are just too inconsistent.

I'd hoped adopting the RIT would help me with my typical miss--big pull left. It did, but I substituted a weak push for it (when I missed). On good strikes, though, the accuracy was great and the distance was fine.

So I'm back to the LOP and loving it...without the pull. (That took some practice to get past it, but I credit my work on the RIT with opening my eyes on the release in general and the LOP in particular.) Executing a "true" LOP results in a draw, not a pull.

LOP or RIT? It depends. But understanding these has enhance my skill and knowledge of the golf swing, which I appreciate.

I quit. The RIT, that is. Maybe it's because my swing isn't as one-plane as I thought. Maybe I just need to do it a lot more. Maybe I need professional instruction on how to do it. But the results I'm getting are just too inconsistent.

I'd hoped adopting the RIT would help me with my typical miss--big pull left. It did, but I substituted a weak push for it (when I missed). On good strikes, though, the accuracy was great and the distance was fine.

So I'm back to the LOP and loving it...without the pull. (That took some practice to get past it, but I credit my work on the RIT with opening my eyes on the release in general and the LOP in particular.) Executing a "true" LOP results in a draw, not a pull.

LOP or RIT? It depends. But understanding these has enhance my skill and knowledge of the golf swing, which I appreciate.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a big problem with Hardy's stuff is that he came up with the one-plane concept, and it was a big deviation from what most instructors teach. Then of course we are all enamoured with the shiny object and try it out. Because that at RIT were so different than what we're used to getting from most golf instructor and because Hardy spends more time on those two concepts as a result, it seems like he thinks the OPS/RIT is superior. But that isn't the case at all.

The real strength is by delineating two extreme styles in both overall swing and now release patterns, he gives you a reference point to understand your swing. Again, he has no criteria for the "right" swing other than that it is repeatable and consistent.

At least now with one video lesson (quite a few years ago now) and the books I have the OPTION to go back to a two-plane/LOP. I can do whatever the heck I want. I don't understand previous criticism that JH presents a black and white situation. He is very much about doing whatever YOUR swing needs. But in order to do that he has to compare and contrast to the extremes. Just like the continuum of visible wavelengths is bounded by red and violet.

Anyhow, I don't need to practice and at least I don't feel like a complete loser and can get it around the course. Before JH I would experience rounds where I couldn't hit anything. When I do practice I get better. In general my consistency has improved by leaps and bounds. While I am OPS/RIT now, I have options. That's enough for me.

Valid criticisms of his stuff IMO:

-It can be dense even though it is simple.

-Earlier concepts from Plane Truth do sometimes contradict newer ideas.

-Can be easy to think OPS/RIT is superior when actually JH means that it is just different.

-He comes up with proprietary concepts and calls them by common names, which do contradict already established _general_ ideas. This can be a roadblock to the more pedantic out there. You just have to get used to him calling horses cars and you're good to go.

More power to you for having tried RIT and deciding it's not for you. To me he conceptual framework to understand your swing which he provides is the whole point of his teachings.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Hardys stuff back when the One plane / 2 plane book came out. Honestly I've never hit my irons any better but the driver was a bit tougher. Don't know why I navigated away but you guys have got me interested again. I'm a 3-4 in to out shallow guy with no divot 0 to + 1 on my irons and 3-4 up on driver. I've been messing around with some of GGs leg work but haven't had any sustainable results. Plus I don't believe I need to get any shallower.

Tried Hardys stuff back when the One plane / 2 plane book came out. Honestly I've never hit my irons any better but the driver was a bit tougher. Don't know why I navigated away but you guys have got me interested again. I'm a 3-4 in to out shallow guy with no divot 0 to + 1 on my irons and 3-4 up on driver. I've been messing around with some of GGs leg work but haven't had any sustainable results. Plus I don't believe I need to get any shallower.

What helped me a lot with the driver is keeping the right elbow really close to the right hip. My issue was that my arms ran too much away from my body which resulted in pushes and hooks. The hands should track in a very tight circle around the body. I apply the RIT.

So I keep having a difficult time with the RIT--I think I'm doing it right and then lose the feel and am hitting fat shots. I'm also hitting OTT.

1. What are folks who employ this do to shallow out the swing on the downswing to prevent OTT move?

2. I know he you can't throw too early, BUT I am actually cupping my right hand and extending my left at impact and hitting fat shots so it's hard to want to throw early when I'm doing this. It seems like I am throwing too early...Anyone have a comment on way this is still happening?

Not a direct answer to your question I'm afraid. Of all JH's books, and if there are 4 then I've read them all, my favourite by far is Solid Contact. I found the fixes in there quite easy to apply, and the big thing was that you have ballflight cures that are NOT based on hand and wrist action. Trying to manipulate the release, which is what I took his latest book to be about, is too difficult for me.

I have the opposite issue to you. I tend to be shallow and hit pushes and hooks. Turning better through the ball and FEELING OTT gets me hitting the ball better. If my problem was OTT and steep, I think I'd work on that in terms of his shallowing moves and forget about his right hand throw.

Chasing a particular style of release, whether RIT or LOP, and trying to make it work is not the best approach in my opinion. More useful to find the pattern of body and arm action that lets you most easily and naturally put the club somewhat squarely on the ball, and don't worry about what category your move falls into.

So I keep having a difficult time with the RIT--I think I'm doing it right and then lose the feel and am hitting fat shots. I'm also hitting OTT.

1. What are folks who employ this do to shallow out the swing on the downswing to prevent OTT move?

2. I know he you can't throw too early, BUT I am actually cupping my right hand and extending my left at impact and hitting fat shots so it's hard to want to throw early when I'm doing this. It seems like I am throwing too early...Anyone have a comment on way this is still happening?

I have grave doubts about the comment that 'you can't throw too early'. I much prefer to think of his comment about throwing before you get into the release zone and the trail elbow not getting in front of the trail hip.

Look at Golfbeats comment which is spot on and think of leading with the trail elbow - Monte has a video on it. That should shallow the club.

I also think he describes 2 extremes when it's possible to also think of the role of the lead hand in the RIT if you are lead arm dominant.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Not a direct answer to your question I'm afraid. Of all JH's books, and if there are 4 then I've read them all, my favourite by far is Solid Contact. I found the fixes in there quite easy to apply, and the big thing was that you have ballflight cures that are NOT based on hand and wrist action. Trying to manipulate the release, which is what I took his latest book to be about, is too difficult for me.

I have the opposite issue to you. I tend to be shallow and hit pushes and hooks. Turning better through the ball and FEELING OTT gets me hitting the ball better. If my problem was OTT and steep, I think I'd work on that in terms of his shallowing moves and forget about his right hand throw.

Chasing a particular style of release, whether RIT or LOP, and trying to make it work is not the best approach in my opinion. More useful to find the pattern of body and arm action that lets you most easily and naturally put the club somewhat squarely on the ball, and don't worry about what category your move falls into.

Thanks. I tried reading the Solid Contact book but found it very difficult to use. The concepts of plus and minus (i.e. steep and shallow) makes perfect sense, but that's as far as I could get.

I have grave doubts about the comment that 'you can't throw too early'. I much prefer to think of his comment about throwing before you get into the release zone and the trail elbow not getting in front of the trail hip.

Look at Golfbeats comment which is spot on and think of leading with the trail elbow - Monte has a video on it. That should shallow the club.

I also think he describes 2 extremes when it's possible to also think of the role of the lead hand in the RIT if you are lead arm dominant.

Thanks. Re Monte's video, I always thought of Monte teaching more of a "pitch" elbow and JH teaching more of a "punch" elbow. Is that incorrect?

At a guess I would say your throwing your arms out

Thanks. I tried reading the Solid Contact book but found it very difficult to use. The concepts of plus and minus (i.e. steep and shallow) makes perfect sense, but that's as far as I could get.

Thanks. Re Monte's video, I always thought of Monte teaching more of a "pitch" elbow and JH teaching more of a "punch" elbow. Is that incorrect?

Can’t speak for Monte but yes Hardy’s One Plane or RIP release is more punch elbow. Even though Jim Furyk may have a 10 plane swing, Hardy sites him as a near perfect One Plane release with hands tight on the inner circle and that punch elbow. It’s not for everyone but it is a good way to swing. To me Mike Malasaka’s move is very similar to the Hardy RIP. They might not agree but the feels to me are much the same.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

What is really important is that you make an effort not to unhinge your wrists (dropping the club head). You must feel that you throw hard inside to the left but on a horizontal plane. The club head must fall down on its own and it will. So, the feeling is that you actually hit over the ball not at it. This should help with avoiding the fat shots.

Also, the throw must happen before you open up your body like is shown here by Josh. Good luck.

What is really important is that you make an effort not to unhinge your wrists (dropping the club head). You must feel that you throw hard inside to the left but on a horizontal plane. The club head must fall down on its own and it will. So, the feeling is that you actually hit over the ball not at it. This should help with avoiding the fat shots.

Also, the throw must happen before you open up your body like is shown here by Josh. Good luck.

And here is the exact opposite instruction by a WRX-favorite instructor (drill starts at 3:00):

Yes, Jim Hardy also explains the other (opposite?) way to do it. It is called the LOP release where you actually need to unhinge and hit to the right whilst your forearms rotate to square the club head. Scopek and I are talking about the RIT release, however.

OR... what hardy describes doesn't actually happen in any good swing

Yes, Jim Hardy also explains the other (opposite?) way to do it. It is called the LOP release where you actually need to unhinge and hit to the right whilst your forearms rotate to square the club head. Scopek and I are talking about the RIT release, however.

You could be right and perhaps he is just describing feels and intentions but for me it really works. Many people also say that Malaska's ideas are not correct but he has a lot of people play a lot better golf. In the end, that is what is important for people at my level. I know for example that I should not have a steep shaft in transition and that I should have at least a little amount of forward shaft lean at impact. How to achieve these technically correct positions is another question though. I think that Jim Hardy and Chris O'Connell have done a great job in describing the different ways of playing golf and to me it makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure in a (centripetal force) 'swing' why any attention is given to what the arms or wrists are doing, which includes the release. In a 'swing' the shoulders are totally relaxed and the arms are soft, with the wrists acting as mere swivel joints with a stop. In a 'swing' the golfer gives-up any muscular control of the shoulders, arms, wrists, hands and golf club. And, in giving-up any control he lets (allows) his kinematic sequence to fully control what his shoulders, arms and wrists do.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Look at the contact and ballflight of your typical misses. If your fat shots are shallow divots behind the ball, you're shallow. Steep impact would tend to give you deep, chunky divots. Divots pointing left will tend towards steeper, divots straight at the target or right will tend to be shallower. Hooks and pushes straight right tend to be shallow, slices and pulls straight left tend to be steep. Once you work out whether your typical pattern is steep or shallow, there really aren't that many fixes to try - and JH generally wants to start with a fix in the downswing.

If your impact conditions and ballflight confirm that you really are OTT and steep, then you should probably be looking first at either the infamous "right hip thrust at the ball" fix, or hip slide - both illustrated on p62.

You could be right and perhaps he is just describing feels and intentions but for me it really works. Many people also say that Malaska's ideas are not correct but he has a lot of people play a lot better golf. In the end, that is what is important for people at my level. I know for example that I should not have a steep shaft in transition and that I should have at least a little amount of forward shaft lean at impact. How to achieve these technically correct positions is another question though. I think that Jim Hardy and Chris O'Connell have done a great job in describing the different ways of playing golf and to me it makes a lot of sense.

No offense, and this isn't an ego thing, it's not that I COULD be right, I am right. I have access to the largest 3D database in the world at work and the best players in the world do not move like hardy says they move. He doesn't say they are feels. He says it is occurring. I am glad he has helped you and I couldn't care less what anyone feels in their swing but I do care when instructors publish measurably false information as fact/truth

No offense, and this isn't an ego thing, it's not that I COULD be right, I am right. I have access to the largest 3D database in the world at work and the best players in the world do not move like hardy says they move. He doesn't say they are feels. He says it is occurring. I am glad he has helped you and I couldn't care less what anyone feels in their swing but I do care when instructors publish measurably false information as fact/truth

So what part of what JH teaches is incorrect?

Most instructors seem to work with feels. GG: leave the arms up. Bender: swing with the arms. Eddy Merrins: swing the handle etc etc. It is not what is really happening in a correct swing but an instructor must give some pointers as how to achieve efficient moves. Mentally understanding the bio-mechanical technicalities is clearly not enough and might be for some people even slowing down progress. As my boss once said: just tell me the time, I don't need to know how the watch works.

Most instructors seem to work with feels. GG: leave the arms up. Bender: swing with the arms. Eddy Merrins: swing the handle etc etc. It is not what is really happening in a correct swing but an instructor must give some pointers as how to achieve efficient moves. Mentally understanding the bio-mechanical technicalities is clearly not enough and might be for some people even slowing down progress. As my boss once said: just tell me the time, I don't need to know how the watch works.

That's fine. If you are going to publish you need to say something to the effect of "for most people it will be beneficial to feel..." not "the wrist throw under (extends) and you can't do it too early" that is not true. Don't say that the left wrist doesn't uncock and comes in"low". That isn't close to true. Don't say that using your method the forearm doesn't rotate. That isn't true at all. Just say these are feels I have found to have been very helpful for people to make good swings. Don't sell it as what is actually happening in good swings.

That's fine. If you are going to publish you need to say something to the effect of "for most people it will be beneficial to feel..." not "the wrist throw under (extends) and you can't do it too early" that is not true. Don't say that the left wrist doesn't uncock and comes in"low". That isn't close to true. Don't say that using your method the forearm doesn't rotate. That isn't true at all. Just say these are feels I have found to have been very helpful for people to make good swings. Don't sell it as what is actually happening in good swings.

I'm just a hacker trying to learn a good golf swing with the goal of getting my hcp under 5. I'm not a pro and would never pretend to fully understand the nuanances of the golf swing. As much as I love JH and a lot of his teaching, I think Forth Worth Pro makes a very valid point here. My problem with JH's stuff has always been trying to figure out what is a feel vs. what the literal fact of what is happening in a golf swing. I'm pretty literal and analytical so I've had a hard time with some of his teaching.

I've had a couple of lessons in the past with a fairly well known instructor who has intimate knowledge of JH and his teachings. I remember when he was teaching me a move on the downswing, it went against what JH was saying in his books. This instructor spent time explaining that a lot of what JH taught in his book was based on working with tour professionals and, in his opinion, is not correct information for the average player. He also brought up that JH will often over emphasize things to make a point, and this can be confusing for some golfers.He had tons of praise for JH and respects him, but wasn't on board with everything he teaches and how it comes across in the books.

I think JH has some great stuff and I know it's helped a lot of golfers, but it can be confusing.

I've read the book. Like a lot of JH's stuff, I think he ends up boxing himself in a corner by overstating general differences in swing patterns. However, a lot of it makes sense and helped clarify some things for me.

IMO, JH teaches a swing that is effective for a lot of players. I think, however, that it is a mistake to say that his swing pattern applies or generalizes to all swings. But, he has helped a lot of golfers including tour pros. It's interesting that he's helped a lot of players whose careers where in shambles and helped them keep playing on tour. To me, that's a great testimony to his teaching.

And can you name, specifically, some of these players that "he has helped", please?