Should we applaud the World Super 6 tournament or look away in disgust?

rabbit111

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a lot of the third round. With Rumsford running away with it, normally the tournament would be heading for a dull conclusion. Instead there was a tense atmosphere on the last green as players were trying to make 4 with a hard hole location.

There then followed an 8 man play off for 5 spots, with again some erratic shots as the players were clearly under pressure. Only 4 parred the first playoff hole.

I really enjoyed it - you know have a cut on Friday, a cut on Saturday with most likely a playoff to determine the last of the 24. And then you have a load of sprint matchplay games tomorrow. I can only think players are going to come out firing at the pins tomorrow given the short nature of the format.

I hope this catches on and they can introduce it in either a PGA Tour or WGC arena with more household names in the mix.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I've been out at the tournament since Monday helping some of the players fine tune their equipment for the tournament Mon-Wed.

Would love to see Brett Rumford win, he is an absolute gentleman and one of the most genuine people you will ever meet.

A win for Brett would mean that he has an exemption for the next two years.

Considering the health scare that he had a few years ago (where he had a few feet of intestines removed) he is in a good place right now, seems calm but confident that he can get the job done.

His work with a strength and conditioning coach over the last 12-18 months has been working nicely, he now has his equipment sorted to his liking and is healthy.

So all things considered I think he will have a great 2017 and hopefully will have a win this week!

I've been out at the tournament since Monday helping some of the players fine tune their equipment for the tournament Mon-Wed.

Would love to see Brett Rumford win, he is an absolute gentleman and one of the most genuine people you will ever meet.

Considering the health scare that he had a few years ago (where he had a few feet of intestines removed) he is in a good place right now, seems calm but confident that he can get the job done.

His work with a strength and conditioning coach over the last 12-18 months has been working nicely, he now has his equipment sorted to his liking and is healthy.

So all things considered I think he will have a great 2017 and hopefully will have a win this week!

Well Brett would have won ( a standard format) now his chances are 1 in 8

Don't get me wrong the conclusion will be exciting for the viewers. Just don't make the mistake of equating this with skill

I'm rooting for the 17 yr old who just scraped in, normally I doubt he has much chance, now a good shot to win

Well Brett would have won ( a standard format) now his chances are 1 in 8

Don't get me wrong the conclusion will be exciting for the viewers. Just don't make the mistake of equating this with skill

I'm rooting for the 17 yr old who just scraped in, normally I doubt he has much chance, now a good shot to win

No, he'd be the 54 hole leader.

I like this format a lot. It's true that the field is not great in terms of world ranking, but there is plenty of drama these last 2 days. The 66m extra hole is a beauty

Would love to see Rumford win and regain full privileges

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

I heard the Aus PGA and/or European Tour wouldn't allow a nearest to pin to have bearing on their season long points races.

Oosthuizen clearly didn't want to have to play his 5th place match after losing.

I would have thought it a bit unfair if Rumford lost after amassing such a lead, but that's the way things go sometimes. The top eight seeds got a bye and they changed the pins from the first to second rounds of matchplay.

Bit confused here with the format - commentators earlier in the week described the format and the shoot out hole they said closest to the pin would get the win, but i see they are playing it 3 times in one match and obviously putting out.

I heard an official explained that European players asked to change to normal counting of strokes in all shoot outs because they will gain ranking points.

Rummy wins his 6th European Tour title.

Leader in the strokeplay and to close it out in the matchplay is an incredible achievement given the short format.

The man truly has the best short game in the world.

Brett not only has the best short game I have ever witnessed he is an absolute gentleman, down to earth and genuine.

I could not think of a man that I would have rather had win this week!

Quite enjoyed it. Needs a few tweaks. Perhaps scrap the first matchplay round & start with 16. Definitely scrap the consolation matches, they never work. Maybe have nearest pin shootouts so the rounds don't overlap.

Pretty much with you here. But I more than quite enjoyed it. I liked it!

Matchplay is, as a format massively fun to watch, but there are obvious reasons why it's not adapted more generally. A lot of those objections were removed with this format. Everyone making the cut is there on sunday, and you still get the match play thrill watching it. The 6-hole matches took some getting used to but after a while I really enjoyed seeing those matches. Of course, as you say, top 16 and normal "cup" play would be preferrable. But given that, I welcome this as a format for the future!

And nice the way it finished. Rumford gives the impression of being an absoulte gentleman (apart from just giving a very cordial impression, yelled "fore" everytime his balls were heading for the galleries, no Adam-Scotting). Also won in his home town. The young Thai was also a fresh breath for the golfing world, guess we will hear a lot of him in years to come.

Quite enjoyed it. Needs a few tweaks. Perhaps scrap the first matchplay round & start with 16. Definitely scrap the consolation matches, they never work. Maybe have nearest pin shootouts so the rounds don't overlap.

Pretty much with you here. But I more than quite enjoyed it. I liked it!

Matchplay is, as a format massively fun to watch, but there are obvious reasons why it's not adapted more generally. A lot of those objections were removed with this format. Everyone making the cut is there on sunday, and you still get the match play thrill watching it. The 6-hole matches took some getting used to but after a while I really enjoyed seeing those matches. Of course, as you say, top 16 and normal "cup" play would be preferrable. But given that, I welcome this as a format for the future!

And nice the way it finished. Rumford gives the impression of being an absoulte gentleman (apart from just giving a very cordial impression, yelled "fore" everytime his balls were heading for the galleries, no Adam-Scotting). Also won in his home town. The young Thai was also a fresh breath for the golfing world, guess we will hear a lot of him in years to come.

It's not just an impression about being a gentleman, he is without doubt the definition of a gentleman off camera as well as on it.

Adam Scott a gentleman as well, you really have over exaggerated the context of one wayward tee shot.

Not a big fan of the format. Some great shots and some horrible shots down the stretch, mostly attributable to fatigue affecting physical and mental. Players and caddies jumping on/off carts, which many took advantage of, whatever. Almost like one big skins match after hours at the course.

Tried to do way too much on last day. Let more players in after 36?

GC gushed about it without any real explanation why. Charlie in the end got it right - maybe a fun format for a club tournament or try on a Sun - Wed Web.com event. In short, not for big time professional golf, except as a gimmick, which this event was.

Great for Rumford, though.

I loved it. The usual golf tournament has some interest on Friday as to who makes the cut, and then it's a slow procession of strokeplay until Sunday afternoon, which may or may not be a close finish that is usually defined by a few shots on the back 9.

The Super 6 had interest on Friday as to who made the cut. Then on Saturday, who made the top 8, and who made the 24, with a good playoff. Sunday could have been a bit better - the consolation rounds were unnecessary, but I love the added drama of matchplay. If played as a straight 72 hole comp, Rumford could easily have romped away with a 10 shot victory, and no-one would have been watching.

If the US Tour is going to try gimmicks like the 16th at the wasted management and the glorified pensions benefit that is the FedEx, it should give Super 6 a try at somewhere like Kiawah - you have events pretty much year round, so why not try a few different ideas. Imagine some of the top 10 in the WGR going hell for leather in winner takes all 6 hole matchplay - I think it would make for some very watchable golf for the casual fan.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

This was a very good tournament to attend on any day.

For those that want to see the bigger field and have more chance to see their favorite player, there are the 2 rounds before the cut - that's normal.

The Saturday was great because of the extra holes to determine the final 24 and their order of play. Quite exciting to watch.

The Sunday was where the tweaks should be looked at. The extra holes required to win if you were all square after the 6 and the play offs for lesser placings were bordering on unreasonable extras for the pros given it was a hot summer's day in Australia.

As Rumford said in his PC, he started his first match around 9:30am and it was after 5pm when he finally claimed victory. He sounded absolutely spent and it would have been a travesty if he lost to a last minute qualifier.

They won't say so on camera no doubt but I suspect there's a strong chance many of the players didn't like Sunday's format too much.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

Know what you mean. Walked a few holes and would then return to the sponsors tent for refreshments & a rest...lol.

It was much cooler today and I was lucky enough to play the course just pushing a cart and it was pretty exhausting.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

Know what you mean. Walked a few holes and would then return to the sponsors tent for refreshments & a rest...lol.

It was much cooler today and I was lucky enough to play the course just pushing a cart and it was pretty exhausting.

Also think 6 hole match play puts extra pressure on players as at that level, pretty much a single mistake can literally lose you the match.

This was a very good tournament to attend on any day.

For those that want to see the bigger field and have more chance to see their favorite player, there are the 2 rounds before the cut - that's normal.

The Saturday was great because of the extra holes to determine the final 24 and their order of play. Quite exciting to watch.

The Sunday was where the tweaks should be looked at. The extra holes required to win if you were all square after the 6 and the play offs for lesser placings were bordering on unreasonable extras for the pros given it was a hot summer's day in Australia.

As Rumford said in his PC, he started his first match around 9:30am and it was after 5pm when he finally claimed victory. He sounded absolutely spent and it would have been a travesty if he lost to a last minute qualifier.

They won't say so on camera no doubt but I suspect there's a strong chance many of the players didn't like Sunday's format too much.

I too thought Saturday was excellent with the excitement of players dropping in and out of the 24, then the drama of the playoff. Sunday appeared a bit frantic with the rounds overlapping because of the shootouts. Cut the 24 to 16, meaning one less matchplay round, scrap the consolation matches and don't start the 8's until all the 16' are done etc. and the tour could be onto a winner.