The single, best, tip, drill, or instruction that helped your slice? Thank you for responding.

jhd12

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best tip I can give you is post a video of your swing & you'll get tons of help

x100

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

x100

X1000000000

Op, You aren't going to fix your slice just by taking a bunch of random tips to the range.

X1000000001

The Price is Right cutthroat strategy.

A handful of lessons and a year or so of listening to your instructor and practicing what he says should do it. You will be glad you did, it's a completely different game after you shape up.

x100

X1000000000

Op, You aren't going to fix your slice just by taking a bunch of random tips to the range.

probably right but not definitely.

Agree it's not 100%, but if we are talking about the typical amateur banana ball, there are significant issues going on. People who get lessons from instructors still take time to fix it. So I think it's expecting a little much for it to be able to be fixed just by applying random tips on a message board from people who have no idea what the swing looks like. I guess anything is possible though.

What worked for me was the feeling of leaving the arms behind when starting downswing . In essence starting down swing with lower body

This can lead to lots of trouble if overdone

Yeh, I actually don't think this would help a slice at all. Think it would get you stuck and then be forced to flip and stall or watch it go right of right.

What is the single best tip, drill, or instruction that you have found or heard or read to help your slice?

I have way too many things going through my mind about my slice - I am going to focus on just one at a time to see if I can identify my problem.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

As many have already said, if you post a swing people will have a good idea of what you're actually referring to and will be able to give you sound advice. Otherwise, it's likely to be a bit of a shot in the dark. Assuming you don't have a video you can post, I wonder if your slice is something that happens with just about every club in the bag or mainly with your driver. If the former, then ignore what I am about to day and perhaps try to get a few lessons. If the latter, the driver has a long shaft, has the least loft of all clubs, is on the light side, all of which make it the most troublesome club to hit well consistently, at least to me. While other clubs with more loft let you get away with some issues, the driver will likely not.

1. One thing that helped me was the notion of completing my shoulder turn, even if I want to go easy with the driver. Doing so helps to keep the arms overrunning as the shoulders stop turning; if the arms overrun, the resulting disconnection at the end of the backswing will encourage starting the downswing with an over the top move which, particularly with the driver, is the kiss of death. So that is one thought, keeping the torso and arms synched up during the backswing to encourage a good clubhead path during the downswing.

2. Another problem I had to deal with was making sure my club face was square at impact with the driver. The problem for me I think was due to the fact that the ball is teed up when using the driver, which changes whereabouts in the swing arc impact takes place. For all other clubs, the ball is struck before the low point of the swing and that establishes a given relationship between when/where the ball is struck and when/where the club is fully released. However, that relationship doesn't hold for the driver if you want to hit up on the ball. Perhaps to put it another way, I believe the left arm and the driver shaft should be aligned at the time of impact, so no forward shaft lean with the driver.

I hope the above helps.

Do yourself an enormous favor and take an online lesson from Monte, Dan, Fort Worth Pro, etc. It will be the best golf money you've ever spent and imo an enormous bargain. Soliciting an Internet board for random tips that may or may not have anything to do with your issues is a recipe for disaster.

Not trying to pick on OP but human nature as it relates to Golf cracks me up. We see this over and over of people coming on here trying to fix something with quick fixes or soliciting random advice from people unqualified to teach anyone and haven't explored getting a teacher or lessons. By far one of the most technically demanding athletic endeavors on the planet and people seem to be unwilling to invest in their improvement.

There were 2main things for me.

1) Relax and quit trying to kill it. Swing it like you swing in a warm up. You're not "hitting" the ball. You're swinging your club and the ball happens to get in the way.

2) "Catch the rain" with your glove hand. As you swing through, get your glove hand palm facing up toward the sky as if you were catching rain on the other side of the ball. That forearm rotation makes it just about impossible to slice (you may start to hit wicked hooks, just adjust back from there).

come from inside a little bit more each time until slices less until hitting straight and keep hitting a little bit more till the baby draw shows its face and little bit more till you got a nice draw going on....practice how much needed to come from inside till you can easily hit each shot....Im guessing you feel like your swinging straight but slicing so see how much inside you gotta swing till it comes out straight and take note what a straight shot feels like and work off of that for a draw or cut. Over simplified yes but sometimes simple is better.....ijs

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

Best little advice when I was fighting a slice was to try and intentionally hit a hook. Go to the range and teach your self how to hit a hook. It can mean keeping your lower portion back on your down swing, it can mean making the hands over active and really turning them over. It can mean closing your stance more than you normally do. It can mean your down swing coming more from the inside and not as much outside as in an over the top type swing. Any one of these things or all these things that you do in your attempt to intentionally hit a hook can help identify and correct why you hit a slice.

Cobra LTD 10.5* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5*  TP7HD 

Cobra F9 Hybrid 21 

Taylormade M1 Attas 4-AW

Taylormade 53/ 59 HiToe

Bobby Grace BEni
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

6 or 7 iron, smooth half swings with arms straight and ball position middle of stance, make sure you some tilt away from the target, and turn through with lower body first with hands dropping straight down (feels like keeping back to the target a long time), smooth half swings to ensure you sync arms and body together. move ball position back and strengthen grip if not hitting straight or drawing enough.

i've always hit a nice little power fade. well towards the end of the year, this year, it has turned into a slice. I recently watched a video on Dustin Johnson's swing and took away the tip to get bowed left wrist (for RH swing). I went to the range last night and hit about 50 balls with just my driver, 7 iron, and 4 iron and i bet i gained 20 yards of distance on each swing, as well as a nice little fade. i will always hit a fade because i shift my weight and move my hips so fast, but when the club face is open as bad as it was it turns into a slice or extreme pull. by squaring my club face and bowing my left wrist my swing is smoother and am catching everything flush. because my club face is getting so much more square now then it was before, i did pull some shots pretty bad, but i knew that would be an issue because i have always slowed my hips down sometimes when i was slicing the ball bad. now i just need to get my hips moving at the same pace for every swing. i went out and played 4 holes after i hit the range and hit all 4 fairways, driving the ball about 310-320, and swinging more free and smoother than before. i did however struggle with 1/2 and 1/4 shots with my wedges, but i know with more practice i can sync up my hips.