2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

iBlades.... YUCK!

Coca-Rolla

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they named these irons S54 or something along those lines, the discussions would be how great they are. This is a clear case of how a name can influence someone's opinions.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

They literally got their G Crossover, made them a bit smaller, and put steel shafts in. Dismal.

I think they took their Glide wedges, and shaped them in to regular irons.

Yea that's exactly what they are, with tungsten inserts in the toe. Not sure where the G crossover comparison comes from.

Crossovers look more like G long irons, except carpenter 455 crazy hot faces.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I don't own, let alone haven't even touched an iBlade but Rob Potter says there's not much feel from it on Rick Shiels Channel..

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I switched. I went from the last iteration of the i's. had these bent to the same specs and they are actually now about the same distance. I ordered mine with S300 shafts versus the px6.0 that I am used to. Love the feel but I hit them a good bit higher. They were way higher and shorter before I tweaked the lofts.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I have played 4 rounds with my Iblades and have to say these irons baffle me. It's like every other round they shine. The first round they were money all day. Hit every green and they truly felt great. Then the next round they decided to be harder to hit for some reason. They felt clunky and I dug them in the ground on several swings. Then all of a sudden on round 3, they were money again. But this last round they were harder to hit.

These heads are so temperamental. It can't be my swing causing the bad results. I think it's a gremlin inside the head. Lol.. Seriously though,has anyone had their Iblades bent stronger? What were the results? Any excessive digging?

If they Are great one round and not the next the heads have nothing to do with it.

That's the Beauty of the iblades and s55 itons, more bounce on a players irons for the agressive/steeper guys.

You took the bait.

I am coming off both the S55 and the E1 and found the blades to be fantastic.

1) With the club head a little longer than S55 I am finding my toe misses aren't as bad

2) The long irons in the E1 are clearly longer. Forgiveness isn't all that different

3) I went Tour Issue DG to lower the spin a little and am getting good results. Had Nippon 120's on the S55 and E1.

4) Blades are better out of the rough than the E1 in my opinion.

5) Also feel the blades are extremely accurate.

8 out of 14 Ping PGA staffers went to the iBlades and 4 out of 10 Euros made the switch. That is a pretty good adoption ratio. My only gripe is the name is galactically stupid.

I think Tour Issue DG shafts only vary from the "general issue" shafts in their overall weight tolerance in manufacturing, not in their performance characteristics apples to apples. Ie. A DGS300 has the same ball flight characteristics as a DGS300 TI, except that a TI could be anywhere from D2.5 to D3.5 swingweight, whereas the regular issue version could be D2 to D4, if the desire was to have a D3 swingweight. Weight sorting - that's the term I was looking for!

I have about 6 rounds i with mine, and love them. The feel is excellent, very very soft. Ive played forged forever, and I can't really tell the difference. Distance is great, as is dispersion. I hit a 4 iron off the tee a lot and this one is so easy to hit. Plus the looks....

Only compliant is I am seeing some wear already. Nothing huge, just an observation. But, I've heard ping will refinish them at any time.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I find these equipment bashing/endorsing threads entertaining. Great to see the divergence of opinion, but let's face it - there are so many great options these days, it's hard to go too wrong if fitted properly. Do some testing and find what works best for you, but don't assume your selection criteria should be applied unilaterally. It often comes down to subjective qualities such as feel and looks, particularly as club design approaches the practical limits set forth in the rules. I'm enjoying my iblades, just as I enjoyed the three sets of Mizunos I played previously. Will they make me a better player? Probably not. Are they the longest irons on the market? No. Most forgiving? No. Do I think they feel and perform well for me? Indeed.

Have any of Ping's recent iron releases been as well received as the past releases which were unanimously heralded?

Lol. This

The s55was junk compared to the best iron ever. The s56.

Too bad the s56 was junk compared to the greatest ballstrikers iron of all time, the s57.

But don't get me started on how much better the 58 and 59 was compared to the kids today

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Have any of Ping's recent iron releases been as well received as the past releases which were unanimously heralded?
Lol. This The s55was junk compared to the best iron ever. The s56. Too bad the s56 was junk compared to the greatest ballstrikers iron of all time, the s57. But don't get me started on how much better the 58 and 59 was compared to the kids today GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Hmmm. I've read your post a few times. Apparently I'm having comprehension issues today because I can't tell if you agree or disagree.

I do recall that that there were many posters who preferred the early G series over the later G series and the current model. My favorite Ping offering was the I20 and did not care for the I25 or the current model. Never played the S series but my recollection is that the older model was the S59 and the numbers descended. You lost me with your S57 comment.

Lol. This The s55was junk compared to the best iron ever. The s56. Too bad the s56 was junk compared to the greatest ballstrikers iron of all time, the s57. But don't get me started on how much better the 58 and 59 was compared to the kids today GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Hmmm. I've read your post a few times. Apparently I'm having comprehension issues today because I can't tell if you agree or disagree.

I do recall that that there were many posters who preferred the early G series over the later G series and the current model. My favorite Ping offering was the I20 and did not care for the I25 or the current model. Never played the S series but my recollection is that the older model was the S59 and the numbers descended. You lost me with your S57 comment.

I agree. The iBlades are being called inferior to the s55. But the s55 was called inferior to its predecessors

The point is we all hate change.

I love the iBlade. I don't hit is as far. But I love the look and the feel.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I have about 6 rounds i with mine, and love them. The feel is excellent, very very soft. Ive played forged forever, and I can't really tell the difference. Distance is great, as is dispersion. I hit a 4 iron off the tee a lot and this one is so easy to hit. Plus the looks....

Only compliant is I am seeing some wear already. Nothing huge, just an observation. But, I've heard ping will refinish them at any time.

What sort of wear - bag chatter, face or cavity, finish, etc?

I am now stuck with a decision to make. I was hitting the Iblades great with the Steelfibers I95's but felt that if I really go after it,I would get a lot of spin. I really like the I110s so I decided to swap shafts. While the irons were at the shop,I picked up a set of MP25'S with Modus 105 shafts. This was more OCD driven because I am loving my Mizuno woods and wedges. So why not play a complete bag?? Lol. My first round with the Mp25's was great. Better than I anticipated.

Now that I picked up the Iblades with the new shafts, I have been hitting the 9 iron in my back yard and have been hitting them great. The Mp25's feel great but the Iblades feel great also. It's a different feel but an addictive feel. Going to the course to play both iron sets together to see how they compare on the course.

So, to make a long story short,the Iblades are making me choose whether I play a full bag or not of Mizunos. Lol I know feel is an individual perspective but to me,the Iblades are a great feeling iron.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

???, say what?

Ping will refinish the irons at anytime for anyone for free?

hmmmm, not buying that, or did you mean for a chunk of change?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Ping will refinish any iron. even for Eye2s the charge in absolutely minimal

I mean its like a few dollars a club minimal.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Ping will refinish any iron. even for Eye2s the charge in absolutely minimal

I mean its like a few dollars a club minimal.

Damn, that is cool, had no idea.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Ping is a very unique company

I have a 20 year old 3 wood that I bought through the WRX department (pings custom shop) and I wanted some work done on it. They didnt have the part, but were going to trade it for a new G30. I didnt want to, but they offered. I also have a Anser Specify the weighted backplate broke, they were willing to trade me straight up for a AnserTR....I wanted a backplate though..

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

That is amazing, knew they were good, but damn. I gamed G25's when I came back to golf after a 15 year hiatus, was a great set of irons.

Check it out, loyal Mizuno and Noles fan, having "civil talk" with Ping Gator....

I missed, did you do a full review on these?

I have a buddy that thinking about getting a set.

Thanks.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Hey all...fwiw, when I called PING a few weeks ago I asked if they would be able/willing to refinish the iblades as they will for the IE1s and the older models. I was told that due to the plating on these (like the Glide wedges, S55s, I25s, I20s, etc) they cannot refinish these. If someone has heard differently from PING please share!

That is amazing, knew they were good, but damn. I gamed G25's when I came back to golf after a 15 year hiatus, was a great set of irons.

Check it out, loyal Mizuno and Noles fan, having "civil talk" with Ping Gator....

Thanks.

No review from me but I would recommend them for anyone.

I am a mid single digit handicap.

The one caveat I would throw in is that they DO NOT fly as far for me as my i's that I bought last year went. Short irons were a full club shorter.

5 iron was the same. (I did change shafts which may be a large component).

I had mine bent to the specs of my other irons and now they fly the same if not a tad further. (They are progressively weaker as the irons progress from the 5 being only slightly weaker to the wedge being 2 full degrees).

They feel great. And are plenty forgiving.

If you are of the mindset that (I am btw) a set of mp-14 is the prettiest set of irons ever made yet a devoted ping player then these check all the boxes.

I carry 3 glide wedges (48/52/56) and it creates a solid gapping.

When the new wedges come out in the spring I will grab the same but with the s300 with inserts so that everything feels the same.

Only thing I am contemplating is grabbing a 50/56 set and picking up the four iron as the 5/6 irons are my favorite irons out of the set

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Thanks.

No review from me but I would recommend them for anyone.

I am a mid single digit handicap.

The one caveat I would throw in is that they DO NOT fly as far for me as my i's that I bought last year went. Short irons were a full club shorter.

5 iron was the same. (I did change shafts which may be a large component).

I had mine bent to the specs of my other irons and now they fly the same if not a tad further. (They are progressively weaker as the irons progress from the 5 being only slightly weaker to the wedge being 2 full degrees).

They feel great. And are plenty forgiving.

If you are of the mindset that (I am btw) a set of mp-14 is the prettiest set of irons ever made yet a devoted ping player then these check all the boxes.

I carry 3 glide wedges (48/52/56) and it creates a solid gapping.

When the new wedges come out in the spring I will grab the same but with the s300 with inserts so that everything feels the same.

Only thing I am contemplating is grabbing a 50/56 set and picking up the four iron as the 5/6 irons are my favorite irons out of the set

Thanks, good info, much appreciated.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

What sort of wear - bag chatter, face or cavity, finish, etc?

The gray coating on the face will wear off. Similar to the Glide wedges. I think the glides look good once that wears off though. Haven't noticed anything else yet.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1