Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked this set up the other day. According to Ping, manufactured in 1984. None of the 14 clubs has ever touched a ball.    

Fully retro now with this bag, still get comments about the bag and then they see the eye2s.... And a wilson tpa putter!  

Not Eye 2’s but I just got my ISI’s back from Ping. Had them refinished with the “Guyson” finish. They look incredible and are going right back in the bag.   I was thinking I should maybe buy a mo

• 1 month later...

> @sdandrea said:

> Tim Scooch,

> I just pulled the ZZ Lites out of my green dot SS Eye 2 set and put a set of PING TFC 169 graphite pulls in them. They play and feel great and ease the pain on my old wrists and elbows. I have installed graphites in MANY sets of Eye 2 irons. I usually hand-taper .370 shafts and install.

> 8vgtzff5y14h.jpg

> ws5ai3kjmsdn.jpg

> rxnkef99ntkv.jpg

>

Sorry I've been late getting back to this thread. LOVE the graphite Eye 2s. Thank you. I just sold my last set of Eye 2+ irons. So I am back in the hunt. Currently playing G25s. Love em but at my age (nearly 70) and my escalating handicap I 'd love to play Eye 2s while not killing my wrists etc. N ot sure I am up to pulling and changing Eye 2 shafts.

• Like 1

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5*, 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Hogan Apex Edge forged irons, 5-E, Apex 3 
Mizuno 52, 56, 60 wedges
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball, 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread as I have been lucky enough to score a full set of becu Eye2+ irons - and by full set, I mean 1-LW. I already have becu ISIs which I use now and again. Can't wait to get out on the course with these...h196wgh2t3px.jpg

xhtkgxthuh4d.jpg

2c526vnsk6hu.jpg

• Like 3
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60g S
  • PING Anser 17 & 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • PING iBlade 4-W Green Dot CFS 80-S +.75"
  • PING Anser Forged 50, 54, 60* Blue Dot DG Spinner +.5"
  • PING Anser Milled 1 WRX 35" PP60

> @jplroper said:

> I've got the eye 2's in the bag again. 3-sw zz-lite shafts. They just seem to head toward the target.

I haven't found a more forgiving accurate iron. They might not have the same distance as the lower lofted irons of today but just as forgiving. I have done a few demo days with the 800$+ irons and nothing is better just longer for the same iron. Using a higher number club does have it advantages against those look in the bag folks looking to be clubed lol.

• Like 1

> @russad said:

> Full set, BeCu! What a great find, I'm envious but also happy for you and sounds like they have found a nice home where they will be appreciated.

They have indeed, thanks! They are a joy to play with; might even bump by i200s out of the bag permanently (although not sure they are technically conforming for any competition play any more, as I *think* John Solheim agreed to terminate the grandfathering rule which had kept old Ping models legal. Anyone know more about that?

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60g S
  • PING Anser 17 & 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • PING iBlade 4-W Green Dot CFS 80-S +.75"
  • PING Anser Forged 50, 54, 60* Blue Dot DG Spinner +.5"
  • PING Anser Milled 1 WRX 35" PP60

Happened across a 5-W PE 2+ set for $100 last week. I don't need more clubs but couldn't resist. I play a 4 year old set of KZG's with graphite shafts.The pings have steel. I haven't been at this long and I'm 66 so was concerned the steel might not be forgiving. Played them the last two days...I really like the feel of the ball off the club face. They are used...seen some life...but they look historically cool...

I had a set of becu Ping Eye 2’s but no longer. Never cared for the shafts in those. The ISI’s on the other hand I’ve had 4 sets, 3 with the JZ stiff shaft which is fantastic.

I think the old Pings are just as playable as ever and they had more character than modern Ping offerings.

• Like 1

The Bag...

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” woods 1-4
Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding E.V.-A Sand Club

Rife Legend Z putter

• 3 weeks later...

Y’all are evil. I hope you know. I’m just kidding, of course, but truth is, this is a very dangerous section of this forum.

I have owned the original Eye (cat eye) back in the early 80’s and and still have i3 blades. Have never owned Eye 2s.

Ultimately, after reading this thread I ventured over to eBay and found a set of Eye 2’s. I am now waiting for their arrival, expected to be here by Friday.

Maybe the moral of the story is that I should stay away from eBay.

• Like 1

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

I have a set of Eye 2 SS 3-SW and Eye 2 BeCu 4-PW and a graphite stand alone BeCu SW. ultimately I like the SS version better as they have the ZZ shafts and the BeCu have the NZ(no feel just vibration through my arm).

I never cared for the head shape and sculpting on the wedges on the + sets. Do the loft really make a difference in play?

My set make up is a G driver, G 4 wood, Eye 2 irons, B65 Cadence TR and new Hoofer Lite bag. A mix of new and old Ping!

After trying to get into some of the newer irons earlier this season Cobra F8 SL, TM M5’s, Ping g5’s. I went back to Ping eye 2’s. I dont hit them any worse and any longer or shorter than anything else, and I know what to expect. Even my son, a confirmed calloway man borrowed my wall set (orginal square grooves), and has not given them back. Hard to improve on a classic.

• Like 1

> @zonadub said:

> Y’all are evil. I hope you know. I’m just kidding, of course, but truth is, this is a very dangerous section of this forum.

> I have owned the original Eye (cat eye) back in the early 80’s and and still have i3 blades. Have never owned Eye 2s.

> Ultimately, after reading this thread I ventured over to eBay and found a set of Eye 2’s. I am now waiting for their arrival, expected to be here by Friday.

> Maybe the moral of the story is that I should stay away from eBay.

Clubs are here, but might be original grips... clubs are in fantastic shape. waiting for grips. Can’t wait to get them on the course

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Not Eye 2’s but I just got my ISI’s back from Ping. Had them refinished with the “Guyson” finish. They look incredible and are going right back in the bag.

I was thinking I should maybe buy a modern set of clubs, you know, maybe I’m missing something with the new tech, so I went and demoed the Cobra Forged Tec and Calloway X Forged side by side with my ISI’s and the Ping’s held their own. So instead of dropping $1000+ for a new set I just sent the ISI’s to Ping and for $228 I essentially got a new set of ISI’s.

u0ptpnxeq5l9.jpeg

9g3634i3w2eo.jpeg

nqidce3lenq4.jpeg

• Like 4

The Bag...

Rife Legend Z putter

@deejaid. Very nice indeed D!! Assuming you pulled the heads prior to sending them in. The guyson finish looks quite smart on those heads. What shafts did you put in them on their return?

I've been gradually assembling a set of ISI's (as I scrounge them up on the cheap). But they're black dots, I'm a Ping green dot as well. Tried the E2's a couple of years back (partial thrifted set). TBH, they didn't do much for me. Despite their legendary status. Last year, found a partial set of beni ISI's that are quite different. Hit surprisingly nice, despite the stiff Z-Z65 shafts. And have grown fond of the uniquely wonky shape (and narrower sole). Been curious how they would play with more capability appropriate shafts installed (CFS R's ?). Anyhow. Sell the Beni's, buy some Steels? Did I mention those look really sweet?

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> @deejaid. Very nice indeed D!! Assuming you pulled the heads prior to sending them in. The guyson finish looks quite smart on those heads. What shafts did you put in them on their return?

>

> I've been gradually assembling a set of ISI's (as I scrounge them up on the cheap). But they're black dots, I'm a Ping green dot as well. Tried the E2's a couple of years back (partial thrifted set). TBH, they didn't do much for me. Despite their legendary status. Last year, found a partial set of beni ISI's that are quite different. Hit surprisingly nice, despite the stiff Z-Z65 shafts. And have grown fond of the uniquely wonky shape (and narrower sole). Been curious how they would play with more capability appropriate shafts installed (CFS R's ?). Anyhow. Sell the Beni's, buy some Steels? Did I mention those look really sweet?

Nope, didn’t pull the heads, just sent them in with the shafts. I believe for the Guyson finish they don’t even pull the shafts either. From what I gathered the Guyson finish is a media blasted shot peen finish so I believe it can be done with the head still attached to the shaft.

These still have the JZ stiff Cushin shafts in them which is no longer available but a shaft I love. Works much better for me than the ZZ-65. I went looking for the S and S3 sand wedges with the JZ Cushin shaft and found some white dots on eBay that were in decent shape so I decided to send them off to be retumbled and bent to green dot. Then I just decided o spend the money and have the whole set done Guyson and am so glad I did. I sent in 3-W, S, S2, S3, and LW, 12 clubs total. At $17.75 a club to refinish and $15 return shipping plus my cost to ship to Ping my total cost was right around $250.

I don’t think they get a whole lot of requests for refinishing the classic irons in alternative finishes like the Guyson as the Customer Service Rep was a bit confused when I called and said he had to call and talk to the repair department. It got all straightened out though. I believe it might be possible to get the darker “Starshot” finish that is used on some Ping putters on irons as well, but I didn’t want to confuse the Rep any further. ?

All in all, to come back to the thread here, I feel that with Ping’s dedication to customer service and the job they do refinishing the classic clubs, Eye 2’s, Zing’s, and ISI’s will be playable and relevant for a long time.

• Like 2

The Bag...

Rife Legend Z putter

One of the clubs in my first FrankenClub set of used thrift shop clubs was a Ping Eye 2 Blue Dot 2 Iron. I still have it. That club and some Geo. Izett woods (which I still play) will always hold a place in my heart. I loved the allure of having an 'un-hittable' club in my bag, and, of course, I was determined to learn how to set up to hit it with any proficiency to prove to myself that it was, in fact, VERY hittable.

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> @deejaid. Very nice indeed D!! Assuming you pulled the heads prior to sending them in. The guyson finish looks quite smart on those heads. What shafts did you put in them on their return?

>

> I've been gradually assembling a set of ISI's (as I scrounge them up on the cheap). But they're black dots, I'm a Ping green dot as well. Tried the E2's a couple of years back (partial thrifted set). TBH, they didn't do much for me. Despite their legendary status. Last year, found a partial set of beni ISI's that are quite different. Hit surprisingly nice, despite the stiff Z-Z65 shafts. And have grown fond of the uniquely wonky shape (and narrower sole). Been curious how they would play with more capability appropriate shafts installed (CFS R's ?). Anyhow. Sell the Beni's, buy some Steels? Did I mention those look really sweet?

The ISI's are nice. For those that have had the Eye 2 and the ISI, which is the more forgiving? How are they different - is one longer than the other - does one have a higher ball flight, etc?

> @duff said:

>

> The ISI's are nice. For those that have had the Eye 2 and the ISI, which is the more forgiving? How are they different - is one longer than the other - does one have a higher ball flight, etc?

I found the Eye2+ hit the ball high. And the ISI hit the ball somewhat higher. Surprised me. :)

ISI have slightly stronger lofts than Eye2+, and a bit more than the original Eye2, so based on club numbers, the ISI a touch longer. Length per loft, seemed pretty similar. Though I did have a three week period where I was hitting 180 yd 7 irons with my ISI as a late 40something or 50something. Wish I could have bottled that. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @duff said:

> >

> > The ISI's are nice. For those that have had the Eye 2 and the ISI, which is the more forgiving? How are they different - is one longer than the other - does one have a higher ball flight, etc?

>

>

> I found the Eye2+ hit the ball high. And the ISI hit the ball somewhat higher. Surprised me. :)

>

> ISI have slightly stronger lofts than Eye2+, and a bit more than the original Eye2, so based on club numbers, the ISI a touch longer. Length per loft, seemed pretty similar. Though I did have a three week period where I was hitting 180 yd 7 irons with my ISI as a late 40something or 50something. Wish I could have bottled that. LOL

Did you find one or the other easier to hit and/or more forgiving? I have a set of ISI's just wondering if I need to check out the Eye 2.

> @duff said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @duff said:

> > >

> > > The ISI's are nice. For those that have had the Eye 2 and the ISI, which is the more forgiving? How are they different - is one longer than the other - does one have a higher ball flight, etc?

> >

> >

> > I found the Eye2+ hit the ball high. And the ISI hit the ball somewhat higher. Surprised me. :)

> >

> > ISI have slightly stronger lofts than Eye2+, and a bit more than the original Eye2, so based on club numbers, the ISI a touch longer. Length per loft, seemed pretty similar. Though I did have a three week period where I was hitting 180 yd 7 irons with my ISI as a late 40something or 50something. Wish I could have bottled that. LOL

>

> Did you find one or the other easier to hit and/or more forgiving? I have a set of ISI's just wondering if I need to check out the Eye 2.

Fairly similar to me, except two things. The low toe hit was better with the ISI. And, I prefer the soles in the ISI, as well; the Eye2 have less bounce in the long and mid irons (such as I remember).

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5