Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

Decided to pull loose pings off the rack and build sets from them. had enough for 10 sets of iron and woods to match.

Getting old , putting new grips on them all and cleaning, new paint fill. PIA

Still need to finish the woods, will do some in black and some blonde. Found a couple sets of eye2 woods 1,3,4,5,6,7!!

Still have about 300 on rack if anyone is missing one

• Like 3
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked this set up the other day. According to Ping, manufactured in 1984. None of the 14 clubs has ever touched a ball.    

Fully retro now with this bag, still get comments about the bag and then they see the eye2s.... And a wilson tpa putter!  

Not Eye 2’s but I just got my ISI’s back from Ping. Had them refinished with the “Guyson” finish. They look incredible and are going right back in the bag.   I was thinking I should maybe buy a mo

The biggest difference to me between the Eye 2 and the ISI is the shafts. I had a one year only U-groove copper Eye 2 set and I can’t remember if they had the Microtapers or the ZZ Lites but either way I didn’t get along well with those clubs at all. They were a great investment though as I sold them at the height of the market for $1000. :)

The ISI have a narrower sole and seem to have a touch more offset and a more pronounced toe. But most important to me is the JZ stiff shafts, perfect for me. I’d say for me personally I believe the ISI’s are more forgiving but who knows. They are both plenty forgiving coming from my ‘58 Wilson’s or ‘54 Hogan’s.

The bag...
Orlimar persimmon driver
Orlimar Diamond laminate 3,4 woods 
Hogan Medallion 3-Equalizer

Wilson 3-D Triple Duty wedge

Rife Legend Z putter

Hi! I am a new golfer from Uruguay.

I have seen many golfers from all over the world love this irons and put them up there with the newer ones.

I would like to know the reasons you consider them really good irons! The reasons why would you still play them!

It just surprises me finding golfers loving old equipment, where I have found people only worried of having the latest equipment (which I consider silly).

I believe that old equipment can be really good, but the Ping Eye 2 really caught my attention.

> @weeicemon said:

> Picked this set up the other day. According to Ping, manufactured in 1984. None of the 14 clubs has ever touched a ball.

>

> kyq7szcmucxf.jpg

>

Wow! That is an incredible find! Are you going to be the first to hit them?

The bag...
Orlimar persimmon driver
Orlimar Diamond laminate 3,4 woods 
Hogan Medallion 3-Equalizer

Wilson 3-D Triple Duty wedge

Rife Legend Z putter

That's an incredible find. Are those possibly V grooves, then? Or did the BeCu come after they'd switched to square grooves?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I picked up a Eye 2 SW at a flea market on Saturday. I believe it is the square groove version. OK for tournament play except for the tour. Paid $10, the guy had almost a full set, 3 thru SW, but was missing the 5 iron. Should have bought them all anyway and negotiated a better deal. Played with it yesterday, great out of the sand and around the green.rrbk57yojrax.jpg

WITB
Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
Calaway Epic flash 3 and 4 hybrid, stock stiff Tensei Silver
Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 115 W
Cleveland CBX 2 54/10 DG 115 W
Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
Odyssey White Hot #6, back ups Never Compromise Dinero Baron  or Cleveland BRZ 2
Srixon Z Star or XV

> @Mike_C said:

> I picked up a Eye 2 SW at a flea market on Saturday. I believe it is the square groove version. OK for tournament play except for the tour. Paid $10, the guy had almost a full set, 3 thru SW, but was missing the 5 iron. Should have bought them all anyway and negotiated a better deal. Played with it yesterday, great out of the sand and around the green.rrbk57yojrax.jpg

>

Been gaming a Zing LW for several months now--- Found it in one of the bins at work and it was filthy. Cleaned it up and it was basically pristine. Liked the way it sat and the sole grind. I only use it out of greenside bunkers. I have holed out 2 shots with it and numerous sandies with it. That thing is fugly but it darn sure performs.

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

Here is how Ping describes that shaft, maybe this will help you in your search.

KT & KT-M (Stiff): Weight: 106g Torque: 1.9 Description: A mid weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip section. These shafts are most commonly found in Eye2, and Zing irons. Ball Flight: Mid, similar to ZZ-Lite (NOT available for new orders)

Been through club ho hell the past year. Many of the most recent and oldest GI irons. Then I discovered it wasn't the irons, it was my swing. I now use the Easiest Swing in golf as taught by Julian Mellor and founder Brian Sparks. I immediately went from shooting mid-90s to mid-80s. No loss of distance and better accuracy.

Also I am hitting the ball pure with almost any club. Played with T-zoid Pros and Apex with no problem.

Just bought a set of Eye2 V grooves Pat Pend. NZ+ shafts (which were renamed ZZ Lite, according to Ping). They feel soft and sweet--as good as any of the newer clubs I played, many of which ballooned too high for me. New grips and I am set. No more hoing. I turn 70 in Nov and feel that I can shoot my age in 5-6 years.

It feels great to feel committed to my irons.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5*, 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Hogan Apex Edge forged irons, 5-E, Apex 3 
Mizuno 52, 56, 60 wedges
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball, 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

• 5 weeks later...

just picked up my first set of becu eye 2's have two rounds in with them and love them, told the missus I would like to score some isi's for christmas and she seems to have agreed, I play minimalist, 9 clubs and the older weaker lofts really seem to work better for me.ibt3kjn7k0kd.jpeg

• Like 2

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

> @g-off said:

> just picked up my first set of becu eye 2's have two rounds in with them and love them, told the missus I would like to score some isi's for christmas and she seems to have agreed, I play minimalist, 9 clubs and the older weaker lofts really seem to work better for me.ibt3kjn7k0kd.jpeg

>

UH HUUH I know where the putter head cover came from---- All of the Founders Group Courses here on The Grand Strand sell them---- Even though I refuse to game a putter that I have to use a cover on I do have the Black Version of the one you have---- The cat cover darn sure fooled me I thought it was a real cat

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

> @g-off said:

> @"BIG STU" actually picked it up at Akers in Murrells, the cat is always a conversation starter

Will Akers is good people---- I do a lot of business with him--- He calls me when he is looking for a paticular club for a customer-- He knows where I get most of my stuff--- We do deals where he can make money and I come out good too---- Honestly I never look where the covers are---- Do you live down this way???

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @g-off said:

> > just picked up my first set of becu eye 2's have two rounds in with them and love them, told the missus I would like to score some isi's for christmas and she seems to have agreed, I play minimalist, 9 clubs and the older weaker lofts really seem to work better for me.ibt3kjn7k0kd.jpeg

> >

>

> UH HUUH I know where the putter head cover came from---- All of the Founders Group Courses here on The Grand Strand sell them---- Even though I refuse to game a putter that I have to use a cover on I do have the Black Version of the one you have---- The cat cover darn sure fooled me I thought it was a real cat

If I was your real cat, I would be nervous.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @g-off said:

> > > just picked up my first set of becu eye 2's have two rounds in with them and love them, told the missus I would like to score some isi's for christmas and she seems to have agreed, I play minimalist, 9 clubs and the older weaker lofts really seem to work better for me.ibt3kjn7k0kd.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > UH HUUH I know where the putter head cover came from---- All of the Founders Group Courses here on The Grand Strand sell them---- Even though I refuse to game a putter that I have to use a cover on I do have the Black Version of the one you have---- The cat cover darn sure fooled me I thought it was a real cat

>

> If I was your real cat, I would be nervous.

Well to be honest I thought it was a real cat perched up in his bag------ I have seen several Members on here post photos of their equipment with their pets sitting on the bag etc especially cats because the will climb and sit where ever they feel comfortable. My neighbor's cat for some reason liked to be in my shop when I was working she would climb on top of one of the numerous bags of clubs and watch me work. I learned something else about cats from that one. They can live to be a ripe old age--- That cat was 16 or 17 years old at the time--

• Like 1

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @g-off said:

> > > just picked up my first set of becu eye 2's have two rounds in with them and love them, told the missus I would like to score some isi's for christmas and she seems to have agreed, I play minimalist, 9 clubs and the older weaker lofts really seem to work better for me.ibt3kjn7k0kd.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > UH HUUH I know where the putter head cover came from---- All of the Founders Group Courses here on The Grand Strand sell them---- Even though I refuse to game a putter that I have to use a cover on I do have the Black Version of the one you have---- The cat cover darn sure fooled me I thought it was a real cat

>

> If I was your real cat, I would be nervous.

Very, very nervous!

Have to say, though, that head cover had me fooled at first glance.

• Like 1

> @g-off said:

> @"BIG STU" my parents live down there I'm down there 8 or 10 times a year

> @g-off said:

> @"BIG STU" my parents live down there I'm down there 8 or 10 times a year

Cool give me a shout sometime when you are down and we can go play

My Dad's last set of clubs before he passed in 1992 was a set of Ping Eye2's black dot. I started out with them when he had just got them around '86, the year I graduated high school. He played a Cobra persimmon 1,3 & 5 wood. I have regripped the Eye2's and get them out to the range every so often but can't seem to hit them as well as my Ping ie1's that are 3 degrees upright. I would love to play a round with them some day complete with his blue leather Hot Z bag and Cobra woods.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

• 3 weeks later...

> @g-off said:

> got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

• Like 1