Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

iomarkoi

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @g-off said:

> > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

>

> I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

>

> Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

• Like 1

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @g-off said:

> > > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

> >

> > I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

> >

> > Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

>

> For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

> But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

> I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

> Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

Yeah the offset messes with my eyes too but I will admit I have gotten used to the Zing 60 I use out of traps. Yep you are like me played blades most of your life and offset messes with you

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

h7dswxihon7q.jpeg

so here they are, 3-w are matching numbers the sand wedge isn't, curious to see how the v groove plays against the square groove in my becu's, have micro tapers in the becu's, new ones are zz lite so it should be an interesting comparison.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @g-off said:

> > > > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

> > >

> > > I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

> > >

> > > Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

> >

> > For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

> > But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

> > I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

> > Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

>

> Yeah the offset messes with my eyes too but I will admit I have gotten used to the Zing 60 I use out of traps. Yep you are like me played blades most of your life and offset messes with you

But did you get used to the offset?

I'm kind of in two minds about getting a set of EYE2s. To me, they are one of the most iconic designs in golf, BUT they're also not a design that suits me. I'd love to try 'em, but I don't know if I could play 'em.

When I were a nipper, all the wealthy old geezers who could play a bit (and some who couldn't) all had EYE2s in their bags...and their bags were usually them big white Ping staff bags on half-homemade trolleys (long story about the trolleys). I'm a little bit nostalgic for that.

DREAM >>>

Eye 2+ set in modern lofts with the BeNi material used in the top end ISI option and recoil 110 shafts ... drool worthy

Feel and durability

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @g-off said:

> > > > > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

> > > >

> > > > I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

> > > >

> > > > Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

> > >

> > > For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

> > > But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

> > > I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

> > > Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

> >

> > Yeah the offset messes with my eyes too but I will admit I have gotten used to the Zing 60 I use out of traps. Yep you are like me played blades most of your life and offset messes with you

>

> But did you get used to the offset?

>

> I'm kind of in two minds about getting a set of EYE2s. To me, they are one of the most iconic designs in golf, BUT they're also not a design that suits me. I'd love to try 'em, but I don't know if I could play 'em.

>

> When I were a nipper, all the wealthy old geezers who could play a bit (and some who couldn't) all had EYE2s in their bags...and their bags were usually them big white Ping staff bags on half-homemade trolleys (long story about the trolleys). I'm a little bit nostalgic for that.

Catchy, I had a lot of the same concerns, when i was looking at the set of Eye2+ I wound up purchasing. Both the offset and clubhead size were disconcerting at first, but I found I was able to adjust over a few weeks. The head size was more a problem for me, honestly.

What I found interesting was the final result. These Eye2+ turned out to be the only CBs I've played that gave me roughly the same scores as my Rams and Mizunos. In spite of them being almost the exact opposite, LOL.

I think I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the only real problem with Eye2 or Eye2+ is the negative bounce in the long irons. I don't know that it had a performance effect, but it did get in my head.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @g-off said:

> > > > > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

> > > >

> > > > I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

> > > >

> > > > Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

> > >

> > > For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

> > > But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

> > > I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

> > > Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

> >

> > Yeah the offset messes with my eyes too but I will admit I have gotten used to the Zing 60 I use out of traps. Yep you are like me played blades most of your life and offset messes with you

>

> But did you get used to the offset?

>

> I'm kind of in two minds about getting a set of EYE2s. To me, they are one of the most iconic designs in golf, BUT they're also not a design that suits me. I'd love to try 'em, but I don't know if I could play 'em.

>

> When I were a nipper, all the wealthy old geezers who could play a bit (and some who couldn't) all had EYE2s in their bags...and their bags were usually them big white Ping staff bags on half-homemade trolleys (long story about the trolleys). I'm a little bit nostalgic for that.

Honestly I did not play them enough to get used to the offset. Now that Zing 60 is all together animal. I liked the grind on the sole and the way it sat at address the minute I picked it up off the pile. And since I have been carrying it I have has a bunch of green side bunker saves with it. For some reason my confidence in it has gotten me over the offset. Actually there are certain shots I can hit off of turf close to the green with it. I also can get really aggressive with it because I know it will stop. I can relate to the geezers with white staff bags full of eye2s. In fact believe it or not we still have some down here. Now the trolley story I would love to hear sounds right up my alley

> @cardoustie said:

> DREAM >>>

>

> Eye 2+ set in modern lofts with the BeNi material used in the top end ISI option and recoil 110 shafts ... drool worthy

>

> Feel and durability

Yep I could see that. I remember when I got mine I knew nothing about Ping irons and August Golf ( Augie) told me not to jack the lofts that it would mess them up. I did change the lies from red dot to my spec and I do not know where they correspond on the Ping Scale. I do know red is 1* upright etc but do not know actual numbers as what is to standard for black dot

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > @g-off said:

> > > > > > got my new ones in will post pics tomorrow, any of you reshafted with modern ping shafts? currently have cfs in my g30's and was looking at something a bit similar for the eye 2's any help is appreciated.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have a set of Eye2s I picked off the pile one day. Main reason I got them was for the shafts which are Apollo Multi Step. I never have been an eye 2 fan but will concede they are a timeless classic. The ones I found hit good. In fact they are a back up set should I need forgiveness. Really they hit good enough to impress me that is why I have not broken them down for the shafts.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit--- BTW who ever built those knew their stuff they hit excellent

> > > >

> > > > For a long time I have wanted a set of EYE2s, but like you I just don't think they'd suit my eye. If I go for a set, I'd really like the BeCu EYE2s, just because.

> > > > But I don't know that I could play 'em. I pretty much only play blades because that's what I'm used to, and I've no idea how I'd get on with the offset and head-shape of the EYE2s.

> > > > I do have an EYE2 Becu L-wedge that I like, but it took me a while before I grew into it.

> > > > Really not sure whether I should hunt a set down for a good price or not.

> > >

> > > Yeah the offset messes with my eyes too but I will admit I have gotten used to the Zing 60 I use out of traps. Yep you are like me played blades most of your life and offset messes with you

> >

> > But did you get used to the offset?

> >

> > I'm kind of in two minds about getting a set of EYE2s. To me, they are one of the most iconic designs in golf, BUT they're also not a design that suits me. I'd love to try 'em, but I don't know if I could play 'em.

> >

> > When I were a nipper, all the wealthy old geezers who could play a bit (and some who couldn't) all had EYE2s in their bags...and their bags were usually them big white Ping staff bags on half-homemade trolleys (long story about the trolleys). I'm a little bit nostalgic for that.

>

> Honestly I did not play them enough to get used to the offset. Now that Zing 60 is all together animal. I liked the grind on the sole and the way it sat at address the minute I picked it up off the pile. And since I have been carrying it I have has a bunch of green side bunker saves with it. For some reason my confidence in it has gotten me over the offset. Actually there are certain shots I can hit off of turf close to the green with it. I also can get really aggressive with it because I know it will stop. I can relate to the geezers with white staff bags full of eye2s. In fact believe it or not we still have some down here. Now the trolley story I would love to hear sounds right up my alley

Well, the details of the trolley story are a bit hazy, but I think some company had brought out electric trolleys by then, but they were really expensive.

One older member decided that he could build his own, so he put one together in his workshop that was powered, if I recall, by a car battery.

When he turned up at the course with it, lots of members decided it was a really good design, so he got lots of orders for these trolleys. It wasn't unusual to turn up for the Saturday medal and see a gaggle of these trolleys lined up outside the pro shop. In fact, I think the pro ended up ordered a few from him to rent out.

Now, this is where my memory gets fuzzy, but there was a rumour that the original trolley manufacturer got wind of this and threatened to sue him (more a threat than anything else, because he wasn't stealing their design).

But, yeah, anyone who was anyone had one of the homebuilt electric trolleys. I'm pretty sure one or two of the senior members even got little seats attached. Looking back, they were really clunky and heavy, and the battery used to run out pretty easily, but they were a part of the club.

In my mind's eye, I can still picture the captain of the club one year, dressed in a Pringle Geometric George sweater, going round the course with his white Ping staff bag and bag full of EYE2 irons and woods and puffing on his pipe.

Good times.

Love it Catchy thanks for posting--- Redneck engineering at it's finest---- On the battery deal I would have used a deep cycle trolling motor type----- But then again like everything else batteries have come a long ways in the last 10 years. I can remember when we got the first electric carts at my old man's course. Our original ones were from believe it or not Sears and Roebuck and they were built heavy. Our course was 9 holes but hilly. They would do 18 though and the ones with really good batteries would do 27 sometimes 36. The ones with really good batteries got run to death during the season and those sets of batteries were toast come the first of the year

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > DREAM >>>

> >

> > Eye 2+ set in modern lofts with the BeNi material used in the top end ISI option and recoil 110 shafts ... drool worthy

> >

> > Feel and durability

>

> ......... I do know red is 1* upright etc but do not know actual numbers as what is to standard for black dot

Red is actually a flat lie dot color. Blue is the 1st upright color.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

A bit off topic, but I just reshafted a set of BeCu IsI irons for a 6 handicapper buddy. He was playing G30 irons and missed the way his old IsI irons flew higher and stopped better for him. I removed the stock steel and put some R flex Grafalloy PL Blue in (his choice). His G30 irons are now firmly in his garage. Amazing how the old classics play in the right hands.

• Like 1
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @sdandrea said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > DREAM >>>

> > >

> > > Eye 2+ set in modern lofts with the BeNi material used in the top end ISI option and recoil 110 shafts ... drool worthy

> > >

> > > Feel and durability

> >

> > ......... I do know red is 1* upright etc but do not know actual numbers as what is to standard for black dot

>

>

> Red is actually a flat lie dot color. Blue is the 1st upright color.

>

Yep you are correct--- I had quoted off of memory--- goes to show my mind is shot and I am getting senile---

So I was browsing eBay and saw a set of Eye 2 heads in great shape.................and then a nice set of PING AWT Nippon pulls. Trigger pulled. I hate this thread........................

• Like 3
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I feel your “pain”... just bought a set of Eye 2’s on eBay 3 months ago. And today, I am just killing a little time waiting for the computer and found a set of 1999 Hogan Apexes at a really nice price. Do I need them? No! Did I buy them? Yep! I gotta stay away from that evil place.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Just walked out of Play It Again Sports in Leesburg. FL., $69.95 less in my wallet. Took home a sweet set of Eye 2 +no+, 3 - SW, matching serial numbers. Sometimes ya just get lucky. Those modified sole grinds are perfect for the dormant Bermuda grass here.

KUTZ4LZ30HXO.jpg

59OBTT3V9K86.jpg

• Like 1
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

great score @sdandrea
I've been farting around with my Eye 2+ SW a lot recently ... she's a keeper. I think I prefer her over the original eye 2, size, shape, bounce, thru the turf etc
I'm going to get a high toe 58 and then with my PM 64 the blend of high toe shapes will be perfect

EvnRoll ER9

@BIG STU
I have the matching S sand wedge in a Zing BeCu .. if you want it I will ship it to you from Florida when I get down there
Red dot, 52*

EvnRoll ER9

Hey thanks I will try it--- PM me when you get there--- I think I still have your number

I got 18 holes in with them today on a very windy round (20 to 30 mph). Bottom line is the AWT Nippons are a def upgrade. Softer and smoother feel, a little higher flight and a little more distance. I put ProSoft inserts on them. They are stiff flex, but soft stepped once, so both those mods affect feel. Back in 2007, I had set of Cobra FP irons with Nippon steel and I remember how nice they felt and played. Same again, great feel and performance.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

They came out at D1. I don't know what model PING irons these were pulled from, but all I did was remove the burned up ferrules, cleaned and prepped the tips and epoxied them in. I used Karma velvet midsize grips (50 grams).

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 3 weeks later...

I've had numerous sets of Eye 2s through the years. First set was in 1986. The BeCus are still the most attractive club ever produced. If I see a set somewhere, in LH, for a fair price, I'll buy them. I'd love a set of orange dot BeCus... Just hard to find!

All that said, and I hate to say it, my new technology Titleist AP1s enable me to play my best golf ...

Cheers,