Going Retro - Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield irons

Those Staff Fluid Feels were the exact model I had 30 odd years ago - sweet

I have three of those irons at home (cannot remember which clubs) in excellent condition and wish I had the entire set.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila DVS
MacGregor MT 4w Aldila DVS
Titleist 915H 3
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro/'87 Titleist Tour Model/'86 Spalding Tour Edition
Titleist SM6 50 F Grind
Titleist SM6 54 S Grind
Titleist SM6 58 S Grind
Titleist SC Studio Design 5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have always loved the shape of this head. Some real beauties posted in this thread.    A set of heads, dipped in copper, are sitting on my workbench.  I had added a bit of relief to the lead

Shiny copper beauties are all finished. A fun combo set. Let the journey and patina begin.    

Wilbur i “stole” a 3 pw muirfields for less than 25 dollars. Only the 8 irons hasnt got the tour forged inscription and has another series number.  They eill stay in my bag forever

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

Apologies for the belated reply lol. Only just stumbled across this post.

But I've just seen a set of these on eBay and I think I'm in love.

Currently gaming Hogan Directors (80's) and absolutely love them. I had a cheap set as only been really playing properly about 4months. Played a few rounds as a kid too.

The feel of a well struck shot with them is unlike anything. My game has improved so much since using them.

I'm so tempted...

• 2 months later...

Those were my gamers 2- PW, for a while in the mid 90's. They elevated the ball nicely and were deadly accurate. Man do they look tiny by todays standards! Wish I still had the game for them, sucks getting old and having a bad back, hip, elbow etc.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Ah, those were my first 'real' clubs. Couldn't afford new, so I settled for a pre-owned set. After a couple of years, I sold them when I bought my first set (1988) f Hogan Apex irons. I also had JNPs at one time. They were truly junk. I went to reshaft them away from DG R400 and discovered the hosels were all differently bored for taper tip shafts. The shafts all had different insertion depths, as though the tips were cut because they wouldn't seat. Before I could install new taper tip shafts, I had to have the hosels reamed out properly! Of course, then the head weights were even more all over the place than before! Strangely, I still have them because I couldn't sell them with a good conscience!

Does anyone remember whether the two hosel rings (vs. three) denoted V grooves or U grooves? There was a distinction.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but came across a set of Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Tour Forged irons with Medinah stamp on the back. Set is 1-10 iron. I am unable to find any information or listings for this club. Looks like a Muirfield set or I believe identical to a set that just had tour forged on the back.

jbn2mib7yx5t.jpg

57wb92fkkt1t.jpg

gof52bcircw2.jpg

If anyone knows anything about this set please let me know.

• Like 1

04zwdwg3xgae.jpeg

t2xbxevlti68.jpeg

MacGregor made the most solid feeling irons I have ever hit. The most solid sounding too. The shape of the 2-7 irons in their sets fit my eye like no other. I gave up my Vfoil m1025’s when I started losing some distance. Played the best golf of my life with those and muirfield 20th.

• Like 1

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4” CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5” WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5 CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

• 1 year later...
On 10/5/2016 at 1:31 PM, pattg said:

After growing up with forged blades - Wilson Staff, Mizuno TP Originals - then graduating to Ping Eye 2s, X14s, pro series - I have now bought a set of Muirfields 2-SW.

This was the set I drooled over as a kid but could never afford. In my view it is one of the finest looking sets of irons ever made with the Jack Nicklaus signature across the muscle back and the gold paint fill on the faces.

Not only do the clubs bear (excuse the pun) the signature of the best player ever but they also have the name of my local championship course on them where I have great memories of going to see Opens as a kid. Not only that but I'll never forget seeing the Muirfield PW in Greg Norman's bag in 1986 at the Dunhill Cup, amongst all his Tour Edition blades.

Anyway, point is I had a few shots with them before sending them off for a refurb and they felt amazing. Really solid strike off a tiny blade which highlighted that they were a suitable gamer. Can't wait for their return.

Anyone else on here game an old, sentimental set of pre 90s blades? If so post up some pictures please, I'd love to see them and will do the same when I can. Thanks.

October 2020 just bought a mint set 3-Pw for about ... 25 dollars (also included in the same price an otey selma putter and IronMaster putter + sand wedge + wilson staff 2iron + TM Burner Tour + 2 persimon woods).

They look niceeeeee cant wait to go out there and play. Played blades just as a kid. Best buy EVER!!

• Like 1
On 11/4/2016 at 6:56 PM, Wilburman said:

Great set of irons. Yours don't seem to have the words "Tour Forged" on the backs of the hosels, and neither do mine. I have never heard a definitive reason that some are so worded and some are not.

Wilbur i “stole” a 3 pw muirfields for less than 25 dollars. Only the 8 irons hasnt got the tour forged inscription and has another series number. 

They eill stay in my bag forever

33214CBA-B3A6-4749-B018-9B55C56B6339.jpeg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Have always loved the shape of this head. Some real beauties posted in this thread. 

A set of heads, dipped in copper, are sitting on my workbench.  I had added a bit of relief to the leading edges before sending them off. They returned light so I will have to get creative to maintain swing weight.  When time is available they will see the full treatment.

Love how the light ‘dances’ in rainbow hues. 

Classic shapes will always have their place in the market.

81C66131-750B-48EB-8A1E-CC3D718B7003.jpeg

F7DADB2E-D40C-4D4E-8D29-12F7AE39DA82.jpeg

21366A79-02F8-42CB-BE05-2968BC562236.jpeg

53C69DB3-EDA8-49EC-9281-F61BDA26DA01.jpeg

CEFF8651-9FE7-4B0D-9712-311ED88F0952.jpeg

They look OK, I guess😍

I also like that you've pushed the boat out on ferrules to match those beauties👍 They should look fantastic when they're shafted up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

They look OK, I guess😍

I also like that you've pushed the boat out on ferrules to match those beauties👍 They should look fantastic when they're shafted up.

I agree, they turned out alright : )

These Serape BB ferrules were waiting for the right mate to come along.  I think they have met their match.   

"Pushed the boat out" - I need to add that phrase to my arsenal.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• 2 weeks later...

Those are beautiful.

i just got a decent set of Tourney Custom blades.  They do not say “the 985” on them.

i had a set of these over 20:years ago, and got them for $40 bucks at a pawn shop.  I hit the daylights out of them...and like a fool traded them.

i want to get mine refinished in a nice satin chrome finish, and as I am the “King” at a local Mardi gras parade, have them done with purple, green, and gold paint fill.  I have already spoken to BB&Fco about a custom ferrule to match and they are able to do it.

I will leave them at their traditional loft, but adjust lies for me and will try to hunt down a set of NOS Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 shafts.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
Because I spell and type like a drunk monkey
  • Like 2

Gorgeous peanut!  Love the profile of their older short irons too. That’s the thing I miss most about with modern irons.  The short irons so look like 6 irons now. 

• Like 2

Cobra King SZ 10.8* Fuji Atmos Black 6x

TM RBZ tour 14* ADDI 8x 

TM gapr tour 3 iron 21*Evenflow blue 6.5 

Mizuno MP20 4hmb 5-6mmc 7-PW MB Fuji pro tour spec 115x 

Ping Glide 3.0 50 54 60 Fuji pro 115S 

cameron GSS 009 1.5 - sound slot - tungesten sole weights 

I once picked up a set of these same irons sometime in '97 as a high handicapper that liked blades for like $150. I have never seen prettier club. They were short and hard to hit but I do remember one particular swing where I holed it from the fairway with a 2 iron from 205 yards to save par. I got rid of them because I realized my game wasn't up to par not to mention the expectations of playing with such a revered club.

• Like 2

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Had picked up a 1/3/5 woods and 2-SW set last winter for $175 cdn, but never put them into play this year.  Waiting to pick up a Jones bag to take them out for our first date.

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

I took my MacGregor 2 iron, 5 iron, and 8 iron out today with me to the range. The 5 iron is actually .5" shorter than my Edel SLS01 irons at 37.5" long, and it looks like it's just way to flat for me, probably by about 3*.

That being said, I managed to hit a few good shots...they carried just past the 150 flat...not bad for what amounts to a 6 1/2 iron.  The feeling, was just SOLID, a deep CRACK but the feel did not match that sound...I don't want to call it 'soft' but I liked it.

The 8 iron, was like hitting a strong PW.    Same feel as the 5 iron.

Up comes the butter knife, the 2 iron.  Keep in mind, this thing is like a weak 3 iron, and probably 1.5" to short and 3* to flat for me, but I did manage some playable shots with it.  I was impressed at how if you did your part, the 2 iron did it's job.

All in all, I am pleased enough to continue with my refinishing project.  As I am getting older, I should probably be looking at graphite shafts, but I am going to either seek out a NOS set of Royal Precision Rifles, or just use DGS300s and call it a day.  

• Like 1